• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Armaros

So after hitting 60 and running Machinist through some stuff...

- Gauss Barrel is everything Minuet should have been, and isn't

- The damage delta is probably real but is much smaller between support classes in real-world applications than panicking Reddit people and people who just mindlessly regurgitate Reddit rhetoric would have you think. That one bad DF run you had with a Machinist is probably more about the player and less about the job being a lost cause.

- Turrets are fucking amazing

- I cannot stress enough how much Machinist benefits from its pseudo BLM-stance having an actual thought process behind it. Fights that were just a nonstop exercise in frustration on Minuet Bard are manageable and plannable on MCH.

I do think the class could use a potency buff and a slight reduction on the CDs for Reload and Quick Reload, but I don't think MCH in its current state is as broken as Bard in its current state is. More to the point, in actual content MCH can apparently hold its own with Bard so far (please note I'm not speaking for theoretical edge case perfect bards, so much as the 90% of bards you're likely to actually encounter), so it's a viable alternative as a support class. It's just one that is better thought-out currently and is a hell of a lot more fun to play. There's a reason a bunch of bards you run into in DF just flat out never touch Minuet.

So, yeah, Machinist has problems, but it is not a fundamentally broken job. Both it and Bard need some work, but Machinist needs much less to be worth using the full toolkit for.

its obvious that Bard was last min reworked to be like Machinist at the end.

Reszo

nobody's going to wait anymore after a GM explicitly said that pulling early wasnt an offense in any nature a while back

True, but I never considered pulling early an offense, just thought since we can kill em in like 5 secs people would kind of wait lol

Lawd.
This grind from 55→56 is oppressive.
Of course now that I've unlocked flight in W Coerthas, Drav Hinterlands, and Mist, I'm just FATE spammin'

It snowballs a bit, if I were you I'd try roulettes. Low level got me 213k for the run, on top of 2k kill per enemy, Main Story got me 180k, and I've just finished the one dungeon to get hard roulette and not sure how much that pays but I'll know tomorrow when I run all three.

I could spam the new dungeons too on top of that, wasn't too fond of Aery though. All my dungeon gear is already outclassed by the HQ quest rewards for 56 armor, haha. I might just do the three roulettes and a new dungeon to see how fast I level compared to doing all the sidequests, but some do reward HQ gear that'll help you in new content.

56 now, goal is to reach 60 on Saturday (or Sunday) so I can go with my FC to do EX runs.

Deathflare is f***ing awesome. I've been using it in dungeons and the BLM's are always like... wtf was THAT? And I just winky face. Finally SMN's have a flashy nuke.

Qvoth

if you kept clearing all the sidequests, and returning back to previous maps to check if there's sidequests popping again then you shouldn't have to grind hard, the only time i ran out of quests is halfway to 60 before the research facility, but i reckon if you did your low level and high level roulettes once everyday while leveling also then you wouldn't have to grind at all

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'm still not done with the story of Heavensward 1.0 (or is it 3.0?), but I'll say this.

They truly captured the spirit of the Final Fantasy franchise. The story is great but what is even better is how they reproduced the feeling of traveling on an adventure with a party. I really felt like my time with *Spoilers just in case*
Alphinaud
Estinien
and
Lady Iceheart
was great and felt like many adventures I had with parties in the non-mmo Final Fantasy's of the past. None of the MMO's I've played has captured this spirit so well. They also did a great job incorporating allied NPC's being helpful and actually feeling like allies during instanced quests.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm still not done with the story of Heavensward 1.0 (or is it 3.0?), but I'll say this.

They truly captured the spirit of the Final Fantasy franchise. The story is great but what is even better is how they reproduced the feeling of traveling on an adventure with a party. I really felt like my time with *Spoilers just in case*
Alphinaud
Estinien
and
Lady Iceheart
was great and felt like many adventures I had with parties in the non-mmo Final Fantasy's of the past. None of the MMO's I've played has captured this spirit so well. They also did a great job incorporating allied NPC's being helpful and actually feeling like allies during instanced quests.

I agree with a lot of this. Couple that with
getting the mana cutter
and the more frequent story beats, and it definitely feels a lot like FF. In fact, it feels a lot like what I want FF to be, rather than what it regularly is. The whole story of Ishgard, the dragons, turmoil in Ul'Dah; it's all so different from what FF has become, but it's where I want FF to go.

In fact, I feel like the Dragonsong War is a great FF-like spin on a more western fantasy story, and I love the way they've handled it.

Yoshi-P and the team get FF to a degree that other FF teams don't seem to get. I'm enthralled in the story in a way recent FF games have not.

if you kept clearing all the sidequests, and returning back to previous maps to check if there's sidequests popping again then you shouldn't have to grind hard, the only time i ran out of quests is halfway to 60 before the research facility, but i reckon if you did your low level and high level roulettes once everyday while leveling also then you wouldn't have to grind at all

So high and low level scale EXP to match even above 50? That's good to know. I wasn't sure if that was how it was working.

hamchan

I would love Yoshi-P to make FFXVI since he seems to get this series, but that would mean he would have to work on this game less and I don't want that either.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I would love Yoshi-P to make FFXVI since he seems to get this series, but that would mean he would have to work on this game less and I don't want that either.

I'd love to see him and the story team set up the framework for FFXVI and then have a dedicated team fill in the blanks and build the rest of the game.

Matsuno is addicted to FFXIV, and it's easy to see why. You can tell he and Yoshi-P think alike about the direction FF should be going.

So after waiting for a certain server to open up, I've decided to just pick a server and transfer later. Did a bunch of research and I think I wanna go with Ninja. Looks fun.

Aggro generation from ablities that multiply aggro gained scales off the damage. So if you land a buffed Butcher's Block it's gonna give you more enmity than if you just spammed the combo with disregard to how much damage you're doing. Tanks aren't completely incorrect to obsess with strength and damage.
That wasn't my point at all though.

My point was if you're focusing so much on dealing damage to the point where you're not holding aggro/surviving and satisfying your primary role first (tanking), you're doing it wrong.

Leveling as a tank from 1-60 and maximizing a tank at endgame are two completely different scenarios.

EDIT: However while we're on the subject of Tank DPS, any handy readouts on finding the good balance of slaying vs fending gear for all the tanks?

Semper88

Didn't have to much trouble with leveling, hit 60 yesterday. The only zone that made wanting to deinstall was the moogle zone. Moogles and tons of fetch questing was almost to much.

Did the 60 story dungeon yesterday, that was some good stuff, holy moly.

Now the gear grind begins :)

Ayumi

My bad. I don't really get the world/Company thing.

sad-dog.jpg

It's okay! I just assumed from your post that you didn't even bother to check.
Should be safe to find NeoGAF help if you join Ultros (that's what I will). The first post has instructions on how to join the NeoGAF FC on Ultros.

I ask dumb questions here all the time already, lol.

fedexpeon

Banned
This is how I'm feeling right now especially after doing those moogle quests.

LOL...Holy shit.
I was feeling the same thing with those evil moogles and their shitty hide/seek and Easter eggs hunting quests.
Someone needs to be smacked at SE for implementing so many of these quests in the game.
I rather do 1000000 kill quests than playing hide/seek.

thetrin

My bad. I don't really get the world/Company thing.

sad-dog.jpg

This is is like the saddest post. You're making me sad, bro. :(

(to answer your question, the main GAF guild is on Ultros, but if you play on another server, you might find some gaffers. For instance, I play with some IRL friends on Yojimbo)

I've become hilariously good against Odin despite never clearing. /sigh

Wait, you haven't cleared Odin? Have you just been getting exceedingly bad groups?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Wait, you haven't cleared Odin? Have you just been getting exceedingly bad groups?
Let me tell you I am some kind of godsdamned master at dodging the AOE's. I'm just going through the motions at this point. Often the tanks die or the healers aren't up to par, so yeah bad groups. :(

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
This is how I'm feeling right now especially after doing those moogle quests.

I made all the zone quests....

Then after 60 another one unlocked and i was ... yeah ... no thanks.

The story of the expansion is fantastic. Much better than ARR's story. It definitely reminds me what sets FF MMOs apart from other MMOs, having a real story that is taken seriously goes a long way towards making an MMO worthwhile. Even Blizzard seems to have forgotten this over the years, and all other MMO studios have never cared besides Bioware.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Finally cleared Odin, with probably 2-3 seconds to spare before wiping. I don't really have a gif to convey my feelings, I'm just glad it's over.

TheMink

Can i wear two lvl110 dex rings? I had one already, but the storyline is giving me the option for another, i for some reason think you cant have two...

Nevermind it wont even let me take it

Select another server, create your character, save the appearance, wake up early tomorrow morning, select Ultros, remake the character by loading the appearance, name it, confirm, go back to bed.

Pretty much what i ended up doing... except replace sleep with work. Fucking night shift... but now lunch is over so I gotta get back.

Reknoc

Not really feeling the new voice acting at all. It's not even that bad, heck for the new characters it's really good, but for the old characters it's just too weird after being so used to their ARR voices.

Props to whoever saw Ilberd and thought "cast member of Last of the Summer Wine" though.

Edit: wait my flappy sidekick got an improvement since he doesn't draaaaaag ooooooout hiiiiiiis woooooooords aaaaaaany moooooore.

Semper88

Looks like I'm getting my gaming laptop this week, I got a PS4 account but I guess its as simple as buying the full game for PC/Windows and add it on Mogstation under license?

After my WAR is geared enough for Ravana EX I'll look into that MCN. I got this thing with guns lol.

any good exp. tips for level 58-60? or should i just continue doing sidequests? it's pretty unusual for me to lose all motivation so early. shit is boring.

the new dungeons were pretty good so far though, if you compare them to the RR standard. some nice aoe patterns. feels like turbo mode at times. it will be a travesty when they start to nerf them.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
any good exp. tips for level 58-60? or should i just continue doing sidequests? it's pretty unusual for me to lose all motivation so early. shit is boring.

the new dungeons were pretty good so far though, if you compare them to the RR standard. some nice aoe patterns. feels like turbo mode at times. it will be a travesty when they start to nerf them.
Sidequests, roulettes, daily hunts and challenge log should get you there.

58-59 is kinda meh, either run the vault or more sidequests yeah. Once you get to 59, do the MSQ then do library which unlocks in the MSQ, it's great xp, just grind that until 60, goes pretty fast(like 4runs or whatever from where the MSQ leaves you).

Semper88

Had exactly the same, I kept doing side quests and dungeons. Also the hard roulette gives about 200k exp and trial roulette gives a decent amount as well.

Sidequests, roulettes, daily hunts and challenge log should get you there.

58-59 is kinda meh, either run the vault or more sidequests yeah. Once you get to 59, do the MSQ then do library which unlocks in the MSQ, it's great xp, just grind that until 60, goes pretty fast(like 4runs or whatever from where the MSQ leaves you).

Had exactly the same, I kept doing side quests and dungeons. Also the hard roulette gives about 200k exp and trial roulette gives a decent amount as well.

yup, been doing that. last dungeon giving good exp sounds good. have to take a look at the ch. log again. i think i have cleared most of it except the fate stuff.

thetrin

Let me tell you I am some kind of godsdamned master at dodging the AOE's. I'm just going through the motions at this point. Often the tanks die or the healers aren't up to par, so yeah bad groups. :(

That's criminal, man. You should be done with that fight by now.

Top Bottom