• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Hasney

Let me tell you I am some kind of godsdamned master at dodging the AOE's. I'm just going through the motions at this point. Often the tanks die or the healers aren't up to par, so yeah bad groups. :(

Hey, I've never even attempted Odin. Every time the queue times out after 3 hours.

I might just go crush him solo when I'm 60.

is anyone else having issues connecting? i cant seem to connect for the first time ever. randomly happening now. says something about error connecting to lobby then closes ff14.exe

Teknoman

Hey, I've never even attempted Odin. Every time the queue times out after 3 hours.

What server?

EDIT: Honest question. As a non-warrior tank job, should I even waste my time with fracture? I mean Paladin and Dark both have dots now, but would a non trait boosted fracture help that much in the long run?

Klyka

Banned
My Ninja now has two absolutely hilarious troll moves.

I could,if I wanted to, smoke screen a tank so his aggro just drops and I could Shadewalker a healer or a dragoon or something and give them 80% of my aggro.

The trolling potential is HUGE

Stuart444

I see people talking about grinding and it makes me happy that I never had to (though I'm sure I'll pay for it with my other jobs lol).

I just did all the side quests, I did my roulettes every day (spread out over 5 - 6 days) and I did each of the new dungeons twice (apart from the Aery which I did 3 times for some reason lol). By the end of the library (1st time) I was () this close to leveling up, two side quests and it was done.

Felt good. :D

If you're part of the GAF FC, just ask for an Odin assist. Im sure people will be glad to help, especially those that havent done the fight in awhile.

Indeed, 7 people, undersized/unsync'd and we'd crush him very quickly.

Hasney

If you're part of the GAF FC, just ask for an Odin assist. Im sure people will be glad to help, especially those that havent done the fight in awhile.

I might do, last time I got told to just solo it when I'm 60, but I'll try when it's busier.

But if I can smash it solo, I'm just going to assume that all of Heavensward was a training montage to go one on one with Odin.

Stuart444

I might do, last time I got told to just solo it when I'm 60, but I'll try when it's busier.

But if I can smash it solo, I'm just going to assume that al of Heavensward was a training montage to go one on one with Odin.

Lol yeah, no way you'd do it solo even at 60. Maybe at 70 though :p

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
What server?

EDIT: Honest question. As a non-warrior tank job, should I even waste my time with fracture? I mean Paladin and Dark both have dots now, but would a non trait boosted fracture help that much in the long run?

From what I've heard, "no".

I think its absolute BS how much it costs to turn off and on Grit at lvl 59. 1mil exp to go and I'll have Carve and Spit. A lot of people are saying to only use it during dark arts. We'll see what happens.

Reknoc

I haven't bothered with him either. He's on the list as long as my arm of shit I still haven't bothered to do in ARR including; All HM dungeons since and including Stone Vigil, all Extreme Primals bar Garuda, HM Ultima, DF versions of the relic trials, and WoD. Oh and Coil I guess but eh.

edit: just remembered I haven't finished the Hildebrand stuff either lol

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
At this point, I'm happy with what I've done in ARR. I feel good about doing Heavensward.

Done all the primals in EX, Odin, all of Crystal Tower, every ARR dungeon up to Heavensward. Just haven't done much of Coil.

Ken

I think the only thing you really miss out on by not doing Coil is
an appreciation for all the nods to Coil in the final hours of the story.

Marceles

So after hitting 60 and running Machinist through some stuff...

- Gauss Barrel is everything Minuet should have been, and isn't

- The damage delta is probably real but is much smaller between support classes in real-world applications than panicking Reddit people and people who just mindlessly regurgitate Reddit rhetoric would have you think. That one bad DF run you had with a Machinist is probably more about the player and less about the job being a lost cause.

- Turrets are fucking amazing

- I cannot stress enough how much Machinist benefits from its pseudo BLM-stance having an actual thought process behind it. Fights that were just a nonstop exercise in frustration on Minuet Bard are manageable and plannable on MCH.

I do think the class could use a potency buff and a slight reduction on the CDs for Reload and Quick Reload, but I don't think MCH in its current state is as broken as Bard in its current state is. More to the point, in actual content MCH can apparently hold its own with Bard so far (please note I'm not speaking for theoretical edge case perfect bards, so much as the 90% of bards you're likely to actually encounter), so it's a viable alternative as a support class. It's just one that is better thought-out currently and is a hell of a lot more fun to play. There's a reason a bunch of bards you run into in DF just flat out never touch Minuet.

So, yeah, Machinist has problems, but it is not a fundamentally broken job. Both it and Bard need some work, but Machinist needs much less to be worth using the full toolkit for.

I've been having a lot of fun with MCH and it's been a good break from DRG. It starts off slow, but now at 51 it's been crazy fun.

Buffing before a fight is pretty funny. Hot Shot, DoT, set up turret, Reload, Raging Strikes, Blood For Blood, Wild Fire, Rapid Fire. Then the usual 3 hit rotation but canceling each part of the combo with a debuff action to fill in the gaps.

1. Split Shot into Silence or Stun debuff
2. Slug Shot into Heavy debuff

Sometimes I try my luck with another Split Shot to see if I get lucky with another Slug Shot potency, if not then...

3. Reassemble --- Clean Shot

Then Slug Shot again and hope I get another Clean Shot. I usually use Heartbreak before Clean Shot if available since Heartbreak doesn't use the same CDs as the Shot moves, similar to the debuffs actions.

I haven't really watched any other Machinists, so I wouldn't know what's optimal. But the quick attacks at the very start of a fight and getting lucky on potency is satisfying to me. The buffing is a chore though, and when the combos don't trigger it can get pretty dull. The CD on turrets is awesome though. Can't wait to hit 60 to see what else I can add or learn.

Audioboxer

When can I pickup all the gathering professions? Just hit level 10. I think I need to be able to go on an airship to get them all right?

I know I should just be jogging through leveling my character just now but I enjoy gathering and crafting lol.

When can I pickup all the gathering professions? Just hit level 10. I think I need to be able to go on an airship to get them all right?

I know I should just be jogging through leveling my character just now but I enjoy gathering and crafting lol.

There's one in each city(bot in grid, miner in uldah, fish in limsa), you do need an airship to go to/from limsa to the other, but if you're motivated you can run from uldah to grid or the contrary, it just takes a while and is fairly pointless. Note that this isn't like wow or some other mmos, gathering is its own class and stuff so you don't need to have gathering nor can you just gather stuff as you quest in the area. You can ignore gathering/crafting entirely if you want to.

Rising_Hei

That wasn't my point at all though.

My point was if you're focusing so much on dealing damage to the point where you're not holding aggro/surviving and satisfying your primary role first (tanking), you're doing it wrong.

Leveling as a tank from 1-60 and maximizing a tank at endgame are two completely different scenarios.

EDIT: However while we're on the subject of Tank DPS, any handy readouts on finding the good balance of slaying vs fending gear for all the tanks?

Tanks should only use STR accesories when they are doing really easy speedruns because overgear or if they are offtanks and don't have to switch to main tank ever in the fight (i could do it even without shield oath, the game is too easy since they updated the enmity generation of enmity stances in 2013)

You don't need special gear to keep hate, having an updated weapon and good VIT main armor pieces is more than enough, if they know their way they won't lose hate ever

Semper88

Tanks should only use STR accesories when they are doing really easy speedruns because overgear or if they are offtanks without having to switch to main ever.

You don't need special gear to keep hate, having an updated weapon and good VIT main armor pieces is more than enough, if they know their way they won't lose hate ever

As Warrior OT I'm always running STR jewels, even now I'm getting the STR ones instead of VIT with law tomes. That extra dps in coil was a bigger gain then extra vit, worst case you always had some extra vit gear around to add if its a really big need.

I don't think Alexander will be much different so I'm getting those STR jewels first.

After all, big hits in this game are always pre announced and you can time CD's for them which on a WAR nullifies alot already.

Aselith

That Vault ending

9FvSe.gif

wtf bro :(

Audioboxer

There's one in each city(bot in grid, miner in uldah, fish in limsa), you do need an airship to go to/from limsa to the other, but if you're motivated you can run from uldah to grid or the contrary, it just takes a while and is fairly pointless. Note that this isn't like wow or some other mmos, gathering is its own class and stuff so you don't need to have gathering nor can you just gather stuff as you quest in the area. You can ignore gathering/crafting entirely if you want to.

Thanks! I'll wait a little longer. No way am I ignoring it, I enjoy it :p Although I do know in advance FF14 is quite grindy.

Rising_Hei

As Warrior OT I'm always running STR jewels, even now I'm getting the STR ones instead of VIT with law tomes. That extra dps in coil was a bigger gain then extra vit, worst case you always had some extra vit gear around to add if its a really big need.

I don't think Alexander will be much different so I'm getting those STR jewels first.

After all, big hits in this game are always pre announced and you can time CD's for them which on a WAR nullifies alot already.

We will have to see how it goes! lots of people forget how is doing things being totally undergeared, but after a while switching to STR should be possible (or if the fight allows you to do so as offtank, like in turn 5 and 9 where the offtank tanks stuff only for a while, so i can see the benefits there)
And since those battles are the hardest to make progress the trend it's understable i guess :p

Didn't they say that they were going to make it easier for controller users to deal with all the new skills? I'm kind of struggling a little bit. For SMN, I briefly used a training-wheels macro that applied Dreadwyrm Trance and changed my Ruin button to Ruin 3, then change it back when DT expired, but that was undesirable for a number of reasons. Once I got Deathflare and got the full DT set, I removed the macro and ended up swapping a couple of things around to make it all fit, but it's awkward having to go to my extended bars to cast Ruin 3, then quickly switch back to my primary bars to use my instant skills, often while running around and trying not to get killed. I've started levelling up BLM from 50 now and I can see that this is going to be more of a headache.

Thanks! I'll wait a little longer. No way am I ignoring it, I enjoy it :p Although I do know in advance FF14 is quite grindy.

A piece of advice, if you really like crafting/gathering, you can ignore combat classes all together. The best way to level crafting/gathering is to level all DoH/DoL jobs simultaneously. Gather your own materials, craft your own equipments and make some money while you're leveling up.

Nohar

Went to YouTube to listen to Bismarck's final phase theme. Got spoiled the name of the last boss of the story, since it was the next video in line.

Really, I should have learned by now to avoid YouTube because of this kind of incident.

Went to YouTube to listen to Bismarck's final phase theme. Got spoiled the name of the last boss of the story, since it was the next video in line.

Really, I should have learned to avoid YouTube after all this time because of this kind of incident.

I think I know the one you mean, because I was listening the theme for it today and in the comments the uploader was all "pfft, I don't see how this is a spoiler". I had a feeling it was going to happen.

Fehyd

Banned
Really wish they'd tell us how we're getting the new job gear already. Is it alexander token? Is it esoterics tomes? C'moooon.

A piece of advice, if you really like crafting/gathering, you can ignore combat classes all together. The best way to level crafting/gathering is to level all DoH/DoL jobs simultaneously. Gather your own materials, craft your own equipments and make some money while you're leveling up.

You do want to get to 20+ ish for the mount and such. Really, there's a lot of good stuff that unlocks from leveling combat classes, like leves, GC daillies and so on that are very useful for crafting/gathering.

IvorB

if you kept clearing all the sidequests, and returning back to previous maps to check if there's sidequests popping again then you shouldn't have to grind hard, the only time i ran out of quests is halfway to 60 before the research facility, but i reckon if you did your low level and high level roulettes once everyday while leveling also then you wouldn't have to grind at all

I didn't even bother with the sidequests as I hate that stuff but I made it to 60 nice and smooth. There are plenty of ways to get XP. It seems like if there is anything that requires effort in this game people will start moaning about a "grind".

Pirabear

Banned
Just leveled archer to 30 and honestly not feeling it to much, kind of feel like I'm doing a lot of the same thing in fights, and it doesn't help that Bard is apparently bad in the current patch. Is Rogue/Ninja better in terms of variety?

Arkeband

Banned
What ilvl is suggested for Bismarck EX?
I've always been the type to grind out whatever best gear is feasible before attempting so I'm not "that guy" showing up in embarassing duds. Will full 170-180 on the left side and mostly 160 on the right suffice? I've got an 180 weapon. (DRG)

Vador

Neo Member
I have wasted a good part of my day yesterday trying to clear bismarck ex... I made pf group and each time people would fail to listen or understand mechanic... I make a group to clear.. for people that know the fight but most time it feel like a learning group or people keep forgetting what to do even if I call the cloud color and action... It was disappointing... got close with 4% but never got that far again.. :( I hope some guys would be up to help me tonight get me through this damn boss !

Aselith

I spend the majority of my time gathering and crafting, it's definitely a viable way to play. What I did was focused on one combat class and then the rest of my time was crafting.

It's an extremely good idea to level all crafters to 15 before taking one to 50. You get some super valuable cross class skills at 15 that you will use forever.

Probably the most important level 15 skills come from

Culinarian

Weaver

Leatherworker

Alchemist

The other crafter skills are good but those are absolutely necessary.

A good way to level is to make a macro that uses all of your durability on an item and just let it do most of the work. Here's a crafting macro generator if you want to try it out. It allows you to do other stuff in the background but still get some quality on the item to boost your xp per item

http://www.garytay.net/ffxiv_macro/

When you get to 30, you get a desynthesis skill to break down items into parts. If you use it while grinding out items it cane save you a ton of money in the long term. Keep in mind though that the skill has a maximum amount of skill points so you can only max 3 desynthesis trades and if you try do more it will just be kind of a pain in the ass later. Desynthesis at higher levels can be insanely profitable. I've been making about 1 million gil a day since the expansion breaking down vendor items for leather. It is also extremely expensive to level though.

I just, uh, "convinced" three of my buddies to get the game. Static light party ho! It should be a good time, and they should level somewhat quickly with the recruit a friend headband and food buff. Ideally, they'll join the GAF FC as well for more experience buffs.

Edit: Only issue they may face is character creation on Ultros. =/

Rising_Hei

What ilvl is suggested for Bismarck EX?
I've always been the type to grind out whatever best gear is feasible before attempting so I'm not "that guy" showing up in embarassing duds. Will full 170-180 on the left side and mostly 160 on the right suffice? I've got an 180 weapon. (DRG)

170 + 180 weapon.

I hope no one complains since getting the ilvl170 gear is so damn easy :p
I didn't even bother with the sidequests as I hate that stuff but I made it to 60 nice and smooth. There are plenty of ways to get XP. It seems like if there is anything that requires effort in this game people will start moaning about a "grind".
Try leveling a 2nd job to lvl60
It's a damn pain in the ass and it is not by any meanings funs.
Also, Fates 50-60 are broken

Just leveled archer to 30 and honestly not feeling it to much, kind of feel like I'm doing a lot of the same thing in fights, and it doesn't help that Bard is apparently bad in the current patch. Is Rogue/Ninja better in terms of variety?
Every job is boring at the start because they lack many skills, and about BARD, it is more fun once you get the bloodletter proc

Pancho

Qurupancho
Do the 35 points make a huge different if I were to put them on intelligence instead of mind so I can be more effective as a summoner? Or do the SCH heals get messed up badly because of it?

T.O.P

Banned
I have wasted a good part of my day yesterday trying to clear bismarck ex... I made pf group and each time people would fail to listen or understand mechanic... I make a group to clear.. for people that know the fight but most time it feel like a learning group or people keep forgetting what to do even if I call the cloud color and action... It was disappointing... got close with 4% but never got that far again.. :( I hope some guys would be up to help me tonight get me through this damn boss !

New mechanics from the regular fight? or just extra hp on mobs/boss?

Audioboxer

You do want to get to 20+ ish for the mount and such. Really, there's a lot of good stuff that unlocks from leveling combat classes, like leves, GC daillies and so on that are very useful for crafting/gathering.

I spend the majority of my time gathering and crafting, it's definitely a viable way to play. What I did was focused on one combat class and then the rest of my time was crafting.

It's an extremely good idea to level all crafters to 15 before taking one to 50. You get some super valuable cross class skills at 15 that you will use forever.

Probably the most important level 15 skills come from

Culinarian

Weaver

Leatherworker

Alchemist

The other crafter skills are good but those are absolutely necessary.

A good way to level is to make a macro that uses all of your durability on an item and just let it do most of the work. Here's a crafting macro generator if you want to try it out. It allows you to do other stuff in the background but still get some quality on the item to boost your xp per item

http://www.garytay.net/ffxiv_macro/

When you get to 30, you get a desynthesis skill to break down items into parts. If you use it while grinding out items it cane save you a ton of money in the long term. Keep in mind though that the skill has a maximum amount of skill points so you can only max 3 desynthesis trades and if you try do more it will just be kind of a pain in the ass later. Desynthesis at higher levels can be insanely profitable. I've been making about 1 million gil a day since the expansion breaking down vendor items for leather. It is also extremely expensive to level though.

Thanks for the advice! :)

Going to get to 20 first so I have a mount. At level 12 just now.

Ken

Do the 35 points make a huge different if I were to put them on intelligence instead of mind so I can be more effective as a summoner? Or do the SCH heals get messed up badly because of it?

That's about 1 i180 accessory worth of main stat so in a way yes it is a big difference. It's probably not a huge deal for casual content though. Reset items are pretty cheap from your GC vendor though so I'd carry a few around?

Just carry around a bunch of the attribute reset items. I think they cost 250 GC seals each.

Omni

I've heard a lot about this game and I'm sorta interested. I understand you can't just play the expansion straight up... but is it too late to get started at this point? It all sounds very overwhelming.

Ken

I've heard a lot about this game and I'm sorta interested. I understand you can't just play the expansion straight up... but is it too late to get started at this point? It all sounds very overwhelming.

Nope, it's never too late. People are always running old content so you shouldn't have issues running through the story and leveling.

Top Bottom