• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Pancho

Qurupancho
I've heard a lot about this game and I'm sorta interested. I understand you can't just play the expansion straight up... but is it too late to get started at this point? It all sounds very overwhelming.
You couldn't pick a better time. With the expansion there are a lot of new players around.

Omni

Nope, it's never too late. People are always running old content so you shouldn't have issues running through the story and leveling.

You couldn't pick a better time. With the expansion there are a lot of new players around.
That gives me a bit of hope. I was a little worried that if I started now, then everyone would be doing the new stuff and I'd be left behind.

Thanks for the responses. Will have to look into it during the week, I think :)

Went to YouTube to listen to Bismarck's final phase theme. Got spoiled the name of the last boss of the story, since it was the next video in line.

Really, I should have learned by now to avoid YouTube because of this kind of incident.

I had the same thing happen to me. Thankfully it doesn't make the fight any less epic.

Semper88

Just leveled archer to 30 and honestly not feeling it to much, kind of feel like I'm doing a lot of the same thing in fights, and it doesn't help that Bard is apparently bad in the current patch. Is Rogue/Ninja better in terms of variety?

Get to 60 first then we can start talking :)

All classes have a "best" rotation and this doesn't become available untill 50 and fully available at 60.

I really don't want to raid with astrologian, but i'm away for a week and get back alex launch day ):
The class is basically useless for initial progression

Just leveled archer to 30 and honestly not feeling it to much, kind of feel like I'm doing a lot of the same thing in fights, and it doesn't help that Bard is apparently bad in the current patch. Is Rogue/Ninja better in terms of variety?

I am almost in the exact same situation. I just unlocked Bard, but after having to level Pugilist to 15 and having a ton of fun with that, I'm sort of feeling like I should switch. Part of me feels like I should just stick it out with Bard till 50 so I can finish all the 2.0 story stuff and unlock everything, then level a new main class and take it into the expansion content. The armoury bonus is really nice though, it makes leveling an alternate class pretty painless.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Ninjas have a pretty complicated rotation once you get to 40-50.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Ninjas have a pretty complicated rotation once you get to 40-50.

Is there a formal rotation for Ninjas? I always understood that only DRG and Monk had a pretty solid rotation at lvl 50 and for Ninjas it's whatever gives the highest DPS and isn't on CD.

Haly

Is there a formal rotation for Ninjas? I always understood that only DRG and Monk had a pretty solid rotation at lvl 50 and for Ninjas it's whatever gives the highest DPS and isn't on CD.

Yes that's basically it. Our CDs and DoTs don't align well enough for a real "rotation" so it's just a very long priority queue.

I'm still wrapping my head around it but this is an example of what the opener looks like at 50:
huton on pull - muti>se>gs>ae/de>se>(ir+bfb)>sf>(jugulate)>se>(mug)>gs>(xpot)>ae/de>se>(suiton)>gs>(ta)>ae/de>(kassatsu)>se>(raiton)>sf>mutilate
Parentheses are oGCDs.

And we get like 2-3 more cooldowns at 60.

Klyka

Banned

"If you ain't spinnin', you ain't winnin'!" - Old Ninja wisdom

Vador

Neo Member
New mechanics from the regular fight? or just extra hp on mobs/boss?

You need to kill the snakes before enrage timer.. after that you need to watch out for cloud change.. there is 3 different cloud color change... after running this 20+. People just dont listen to instruction and derp in cloud phase forgetting everything. You can have the problem of not enough dps in that phase.. like not killing the mobs fast enough... You need to be always on the look out for this fight and its a big dps check battle.. I made group that would have been able to clear it but it always fail at cloud phase because people dont listen or dont check the weather even if there is a message !! I even called the cloud each time and people would not listen and get killed... I was thinking about making macro for others at this point... I shouldnt need to call everything if you pay attention. It's an easy fight.. I know I can clear it but I am stuck :( I will try again tonight and hope to have some GAF help for this :)

kayos90

Yes that's basically it. Our CDs and DoTs don't align well enough for a real "rotation" so it's just a very long priority queue.

I'm still wrapping my head around it but this is an example of what the opener looks like at 50:

Parentheses are oGCDs.

I haven't gotten to lvl 50 with monk but DRG is far easier to do DPS than my lvl 50 NIN. The new DRG skills are pretty sick though. lol. Not sure what the DPS disparity looks like.

Reknoc

Parentheses are oGCDs.

oh that's way better than my ninja rotation:

rabbit on pull - muti>se>gs>ae/de>se>(ir+bfb)>sf>(jugulate)>se>(mug)>gs>(xpot)>ae/de>se>(bunny)>gs>(ta)>ae/de>(watership down)>se>(myxomatosis)>sf>mutilate

Ninja is a pretty disappointing class for me. Their basic rotation is a snoozefest and the system that's actually interesting when it comes to the class (mudras) is something I can't really do properly cos of latency.

if they fixed Mudra lag then I'd probably level the class but until then I'm not going to bother.

I think it's a really poor design/implementation issue to make one class so dependent on low latency to make the most of.

Haly

Bunnies doe.

I'm very satisfied with Ninja so far. It's lived up to my expectations of an MMO class. I Tanked/Healed/DPSed through 2.3 as a PLD/SCH/BLM and the only time I had fun was with SCH because I could micro Selene (even though Eos is best fairy).

PLD and BLM were
sleeping.gif

Klyka

Banned
Ninja is a pretty disappointing class for me. Their basic rotation is a snoozefest and the system that's actually interesting when it comes to the class (mudras) is something I can't really do properly cos of latency.

if they fixed Mudra lag then I'd probably level the class but until then I'm not going to bother.

I think it's a really poor design/implementation issue to make one class so dependent on low latency to make the most of.

I would not be playing this game as much as I am if they didn't add the Ninja.
Love my class.

Bunnies doe.

I'm very satisfied with Ninja so far. It's lived up to my expectations of an MMO class. I Tanked/Healed/DPSed through 2.3 as a PLD/SCH/BLM and the only time I had fun was with SCH because I could micro Selene (even though Eos is best fairy).

PLD and BLM were
sleeping.gif

PLD is a lot better now imo. Clemency / new combos are enough for me. Divine Veil and Shelltron are nice too.

Bunnies doe.

PLD and BLM were
sleeping.gif

it's not even bunnies.

it's like "I can't use Raiton or Katon because if I do I will clip half my GCD." So technically Fuma Shuriken is a DPS increase for me but I do less damage than any Ninja with good latency because they can actually use Raiton and whatnot. It fucking blows.

kayos90

My problem is, why is there a CD between the handsigns....

Reknoc

Ninja is worth it for the Assassination animation imho. I would be playing it during the expac but I forgot everything about it and felt nervous so fell back to bard which I tend to just play by rubbing my face across my keyboard.

Arkeband

Banned
I'm still getting used to my Dragoon rotation. Adding a fourth timer to watch is such a giant pain in the ass when you factor in avoiding AOE's, phase changes, or just the boss moving in general.

I honestly believe that they could lengthen Heavy Thrust's buff to 30 seconds without it breaking the class. Hell, they could lengthen BOTD's max timer to 40-45 seconds.

DRG's are jugging two timers on them, one of which they need to actively raise/lower. And they're juggling two (technically three) timers on the boss: phleb and CT (and Disembowl). It's a lot to keep track of with no add-on support and tiny buff/debuff icons.

Even if I made my buff icons bigger, I'd have giant annoying FC buffs showing up alongside them. ARGH.

Haly

My problem is, why is there a CD between the handsigns....

Something something servers something something.
Ninja is worth it for the Assassination animation imho. I would be playing it during the expac but I forgot everything about it and felt nervous so fell back to bard which I tend to just play by rubbing my face across my keyboard.

I like using a Weaponskill during the Assassinate animation so I look like a FE Assassin critting.

Da best.

That's my Bard strategy too!

Ferr986

I have NIN, DRG and BRD to 50 and I'm doing HW content with NIN, it's the most fun one IMO, but it's true that the mudra lag sucks. Also, new abilities are starting to give me problems as a pad user, I'm gonna have to break my rule of two hotbars max...

Btw, just unlocked flight in Coerthas. I feel like I'm in the complete opposite of everyone, I actually liked exploring the map looking for currents lol

Azzurri

I just resubbed and finished the Ifrit story line part, so 25ish. Can I just do MSQ and class quests and make my way to 50 w/o any side quests since the older stuff has been buffed.?

Also, this isn't a question but an observation, but from what I've read from various forums and watched on Twitch, it seems that AST and MCH are very underwhelming compared to DKT and the older classes. It seems like they didn't put as much effort into them as they did into DKT. I really want to play AST once I can unlock it, but from what I've read it's kinda disheartening.

MogCakes

I'm still getting used to my Dragoon rotation. Adding a fourth timer to watch is such a giant pain in the ass when you factor in avoiding AOE's, phase changes, or just the boss moving in general.

I honestly believe that they could lengthen Heavy Thrust's buff to 30 seconds without it breaking the class. Hell, they could lengthen BOTD's max timer to 40-45 seconds.

DRG's are jugging two timers on them, one of which they need to actively raise/lower. And they're juggling two (technically three) timers on the boss: phleb and CT (and Disembowl). It's a lot to keep track of with no add-on support and tiny buff/debuff icons.

Even if I made my buff icons bigger, I'd have giant annoying FC buffs showing up alongside them. ARGH.

Hello warrior of light, I'm the final boss of Neverreap. I see you're a dragoon. I hope you've enjoyed using your shiny new BotD and Geirskogul skills, because I'm going to fuck up all of your rotations and make you scream like a little girl. Btw I'm invincible for half the fight. Trolololo

So are WHM's teh best DPS machines now with that healing field and Aero 3/Stone 3?

A while ago I played with a WHM that did DPS in the library and I was amazed because I forgot they had any offensive abilities due to no one using them.

iammeiam

I've been having a lot of fun with MCH and it's been a good break from DRG. It starts off slow, but now at 51 it's been crazy fun.

Buffing before a fight is pretty funny. Hot Shot, DoT, set up turret, Reload, Raging Strikes, Blood For Blood, Wild Fire, Rapid Fire. Then the usual 3 hit rotation but canceling each part of the combo with a debuff action to fill in the gaps.

No Hawk's Eye? DEX boost!

The other thing is I assume this is what you do on bosses? If so, start with turret placement. Turrets for whatever reason do not aggro mobs, so you can literally drop one at the boss's feet pre-pull and nothing will happen as long as you don't move your character into aggro range. You can actually do this with trash too--drop the AOE turret smack in the middle of a pack and they'll ignore it until somebody initiates combat.

You'll pick up a couple of decently strong oGCDs eventually (Gauss Barrel and Ricochet), and Hypercharge for Wildfire becomes a thing. I don't really have a rotation as yet so much as trying to cram everything into the Wildfire countdown. Gauss does change a lot, and you're only a level away. You don't get anything cool alongside it at 52, but it's still worth turning it on so you can adapt to the changes playstyle.

During-fight stuff is usually less about max DPS all the time for me (because I am a bad) and more about staggering guaranteed instant casts to keep some form of mobility up until it's Wildfire time again. I try to leave Gauss up as often as possible (yes, I've seen the math, I don't care that much though), so proc management is life. I think the only time I reliably shut it off is Ravana EX adds (because everything kept dying mid-cast and I would never hit anything) and then keep it down through the orb run section since he has a defense buff and it's a rare period of extended forced movement without breaks.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I've been doing Ravana Extreme (and clearing it) without using Wanderer's Minuet. Does that make me bad?
No it doesn't and I think currently any Bard can go without using WM and feel no real consequence for not using WM until some changes are done.

On my end I'm finally going to have to grind as I exhausted all of my SQs and I'm only 1/2 through Lv.58.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
No it doesn't and I think currently any Bard can go without using WM and feel no real consequence for not using WM until some changes are done.

On my end I'm finally going to have to grind as I exhausted all of my SQs and I'm only 1/2 through Lv.58.

Yeah I'm feeling like having auto attacks in play + movement in AOE-heavy fights > Wanderer's Minuet right now.

Valor

I've been doing Ravana Extreme (and clearing it) without using Wanderer's Minuet. Does that make me bad?

Yeah, kind of.

But real talk, I was doing Ravana yesterday with Minuet and without, and I think I prefer the crazy burst you can do during that. With Trick Attack I critted like 7k on Sidewinder and was averaging around 9k on EA. You can't do that out of Minuet. That being said, the rest of the fight is way easier out of Minuet. I think in that fight it would likely be optimal to switch in and out of Minuet depending on the phase.

I've heard a lot about this game and I'm sorta interested. I understand you can't just play the expansion straight up... but is it too late to get started at this point? It all sounds very overwhelming.
I just started myself, and it's not very overwhelming starting from scratch. The main story has been alright so far, and I here it gets great. Dungeons have been fun too.

Edit: I'm also close to unlocking NIN. Does it start at lvl1?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Yeah, kind of.

But real talk, I was doing Ravana yesterday with Minuet and without, and I think I prefer the crazy burst you can do during that. With Trick Attack I critted like 7k on Sidewinder and was averaging around 9k on EA. You can't do that out of Minuet. That being said, the rest of the fight is way easier out of Minuet. I think in that fight it would likely be optimal to switch in and out of Minuet depending on the phase.

I could see it being beneficial during the damage up phases. I'll mess around with it some but that 3 second cast timer is BS.

Armaros

From the theory-crafting and some anecdotal accounts, WM is only a DPS gain if you dont get interrupted and can basically turret mode the entire way, which is completely unfeasible.

I just started myself, and it's not very overwhelming starting from scratch. The main story has been alright so far, and I here it gets great. Dungeons have been fun too.

Edit: I'm also close to unlocking NIN. Does it start at lvl1?

ROG is the level 1 class. ROG turns into NIN via job quest at lvl 30, but you need to have PUG lvl 15 as well.

iammeiam

Fully buffed and Barrage'd Empyreal Arrow is like... The only good thing about 3.0 Bard. But Ravana sucks for CDs anyway.

I probably should have spent more time messing with Feint before just fleeing the class, but I don't think building reliance on something that seems a probable bug was a good long-term plan.

Tiops

What's the best use for Dark Arts? I unlocked it yesterday and didn't really understando how much if buffs my skills and how often should I use it, as it spends a crapload of MP.

And my wife is liking AST, but she's not really confident in how it compares to SCH and WHM. It's a shame that AST and MCH appears to be underpowered.

Valor

I could see it being beneficial during the damage up phases. I'll mess around with it some but that 3 second cast timer is BS.

Like the other bard I was with wasn't touching Minuet at all and he was doing just fine, so it's totally viable to not use it. I'm in Angary's boat with adds though because they die during my casts which makes my dps basically zero during that phase. Without Minuet it was way easier. There are a few moments of downtime you can use to cast Minuet before the phases that shouldn't hurt too much, and the damage that you'll deal afterwards should make up for the gcd.5 you're missing for the cast.

In theory. Napkin math. I don't have any napkins. I'm basically making it up. PS4 parser plz.

What's the best use for Dark Arts? I unlocked it yesterday and didn't really understando how much if buffs my skills and how often should I use it, as it spends a crapload of MP.

Grats on learning how to be a sad clown. Souleater. Use it for Souleater. 400 Potency attack. Yes please. Use it on Dark Mind if there are strong magic attacks being blasted in your face. Don't use it on Dark Dance or Dark Passenger if you can help it. Okay, maybe Dark Passenger for add pulls, but otherwise nah. That's basically all I know so far since I'm only 46 in it :x

And my wife is liking AST, but she's not really confident in how it compares to SCH and WHM. It's a shame that AST and MCH appears to be underpowered.

DA works best with our two combo enders and with Dark Passenger/Abyssal for great aoe hate/debuffs. If you check the tool tips you'll see the DA effect. For Power Slash it will up the enmity bonus, and for Souleater it hits for a whopping 400 potency.

Here's a good basic guide: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/240940-The-Definitive-Dark-Knight-Guide

IMBored

I probably should have spent more time messing with Feint before just fleeing the class, but I don't think building reliance on something that seems a probable bug was a good long-term plan.

It's not a bug. SE just thought drg didn't get enough love this expac and made their useless ability important for another class :D

DarkKyo

I feel like it's pretty situational and you just have to know which move would be best with it at a given time.. but I mostly couple it with Souleater during the Syphon Strike combo for a good stream of extra damage. I don't usually have MP problems with it due to the MP regain abilities.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
From the theory-crafting and some anecdotal accounts, WM is only a DPS gain if you dont get interrupted and can basically turret mode the entire way, which is completely unfeasible.

So basically Turn 8. lol

Like the other bard I was with wasn't touching Minuet at all and he was doing just fine, so it's totally viable to not use it. I'm in Angary's boat with adds though because they die during my casts which makes my dps basically zero during that phase. Without Minuet it was way easier. There are a few moments of downtime you can use to cast Minuet before the phases that shouldn't hurt too much, and the damage that you'll deal afterwards should make up for the gcd.5 you're missing for the cast.

In theory. Napkin math. I don't have any napkins. I'm basically making it up. PS4 parser plz.

Grats on learning how to be a sad clown. Souleater. Use it for Souleater. 400 Potency attack. Yes please. Use it on Dark Mind if there are strong magic attacks being blasted in your face. Don't use it on Dark Dance or Dark Passenger if you can help it. Okay, maybe Dark Passenger for add pulls, but otherwise nah. That's basically all I know so far since I'm only 46 in it :x

Yeah having autos for the adds is pretty much required. They need to die ASAP and cast time takes too long...
IDK, we're going to farm some more tonight so I'll experiment a bit in the burn phases and see if it makes a difference.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
It's only good if you can do it for the entirety of the fight? What about learning when it's safe to turret simlar to BLMs?

Razzorn34

The tool tips on the skills it works with says exactly what it does. You should be using it for Souleater mostly when MP permits. Everything else is situational. Need to secure hate? Use it with Power Slash. Blood Price on cooldown? Good time to use it with Dark Dance or Dark Passenger. Yeah, you should be using it all the time. This is when the MP micro game of DRK really starts.

iammeiam

It's only good if you can do it for the entirety of the fight? What about learning when it's safe to turret simlar to BLMs?

Cast time and a much smaller gain for turret than BLM. Swapping out of turret mode means you will at some point have to blow three seconds (three non-moving seconds) getting back in to turret mode. The DPS gain from Minuet isn't high enough as it stands to make that sacrifice definitely worth it, essentially. It's not turret or not at will as the fight demands, it's prep time for tiny tiny boosts. If you're toggling on and off often enough, the cast time will just wreck you.

I think most of the theorycrafting I've seen argues for Minuet/GB for opener, turn off, only reactivate during jumps when buffs are back up. But the Minuet/GB DPS gain is still minimal enough that for a lot of people it's not worth it.

I was/am stubborn and leave turret stance up most of the time because I'm still learning to cope; if they ever fix it I want to be ready, but as it stands it's not a huge deal either way.

Top Bottom