• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Arkeband

Banned
It's only good if you can do it for the entirety of the fight? What about learning when it's safe to turret simlar to BLMs?

The only way it would be a DPS loss is if the 3 seconds it takes to cast is so detrimental that a standard length of time to use it (10? 15 seconds?) can't make up for that.

I assume you can just turn it off instantly.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Cast time and a much smaller gain for turret than BLM. Swapping out of turret mode means you will at some point have to blow three seconds (three non-moving seconds) getting back in to turret mode. The DPS gain from Minuet isn't high enough as it stands to make that sacrifice definitely worth it, essentially. It's not turret or not at will as the fight demands, it's prep time for tiny tiny boosts. If you're toggling on and off often enough, the cast time will just wreck you.

I think most of the theorycrafting I've seen argues for Minuet/GB for opener, turn off, only reactivate during jumps when buffs are back up. But the Minuet/GB DPS gain is still minimal enough that for a lot of people it's not worth it.

I was/am stubborn and leave turret stance up most of the time because I'm still learning to cope; if they ever fix it I want to be ready, but as it stands it's not a huge deal either way.

I used it all through dungeons, where I think it's okay minus some boss fights but in Bismarck/Ravana? Nup.

Squishy3

Hello warrior of light, I'm the final boss of Neverreap. I see you're a dragoon. I hope you've enjoyed using your shiny new BotD and Geirskogul skills, because I'm going to fuck up all of your rotations and make you scream like a little girl. Btw I'm invincible for half the fight. Trolololo
Lol, I DPSed solo that entire fight because the MCH got knocked off the platform at the beginning of the fight when he did the first knockback AOE.

Thankfully we had a LB2 and earned another LB1 so it didn't take as long as it could have.

I think I'm done doing Neverreap of my own volition, and I only did it once. What a terrible first run.

iammeiam

I used it all through dungeons, where I think it's okay minus some boss fights but in Bismarck/Ravana? Nup.

See, Bis Carapace was Minuet's time to shine for me since you could just plant through the intial adds, run onto Bis and do the full opener complete with comparatively massive EA damage. Adds phase and on it got messier (tornadoes...) but for that initial burst of damage Minuet was OK. Minuet in Ravana is just a mess of stutter stepping without being able to leverage procs for free movement.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Speaking for myself at least until they either Buff Wanderer's Minuet or Nerf the Bard Class again to make Wanderer's Minuet necessary I'm not going to deal with the Wanderer's Minuet shenanigans for the time being as the pay off doesn't seem worth it to me right now.

Marceles

No Hawk's Eye? DEX boost!

The other thing is I assume this is what you do on bosses? If so, start with turret placement. Turrets for whatever reason do not aggro mobs, so you can literally drop one at the boss's feet pre-pull and nothing will happen as long as you don't move your character into aggro range. You can actually do this with trash too--drop the AOE turret smack in the middle of a pack and they'll ignore it until somebody initiates combat.

You'll pick up a couple of decently strong oGCDs eventually (Gauss Barrel and Ricochet), and Hypercharge for Wildfire becomes a thing. I don't really have a rotation as yet so much as trying to cram everything into the Wildfire countdown. Gauss does change a lot, and you're only a level away. You don't get anything cool alongside it at 52, but it's still worth turning it on so you can adapt to the changes playstyle.

During-fight stuff is usually less about max DPS all the time for me (because I am a bad) and more about staggering guaranteed instant casts to keep some form of mobility up until it's Wildfire time again. I try to leave Gauss up as often as possible (yes, I've seen the math, I don't care that much though), so proc management is life. I think the only time I reliably shut it off is Ravana EX adds (because everything kept dying mid-cast and I would never hit anything) and then keep it down through the orb run section since he has a defense buff and it's a rare period of extended forced movement without breaks.

I still have to level my Archer to 26 lol, it's only 23 right now. I haven't even done a dungeon with it, just been practicing on FATEs most of the time but Bishop has been good to me.

I agree with you on the Wildfire cramming stage. It's one of the last things I activate before I go nuts, and then pray that my shots keep getting potency buffs. I'm a DRG main so I have yet to take it anywhere yet, but once I finish the Heavensward story I'll start shooting everything in the face.

jorgeton

This game has ruined the Moogles' legacy.

I didn't understand the hate until I got to the Churning Mists. Now I get it.

Little bastards always getting lost in their own land. smh.

scy

Worth noting more and more Bard/Machinist parses are showing up with them approaching at least 1000 DPS on a dummy. So the "ideal turret" numbers are steadily in the "definitely worth using" category, especially when factoring Disembowel. Still think that should be closer to the MNK/NIN 1140-50 numbers but eh, hopefully something happens to smooth out their issues since almost nobody is really happy. Doing all that was done just to keep the damage disparity between them and everyone else about the same seems a little ... meh? At the very least they should've had their own piercing debuff by now.

What's the highest parsing DPS class so far? I've seen videos for MNK at 1150 and DRG at 1215 in near-optimal gear.

It's basically DRG/SMN on top, NIN/MNK just below that, BRD/MCH under them with WAR/DRK right there with them. BLM is in the weird state of being alongside NIN/MNK in theory but every fight seen so far is kind of bad for them so the verdict is out for now.

I see people saying Ifrit is better than Garuda now for DPS. The job has changed a lot from when I played it last seems like.

Ifrit has been better since like ... whatever last round of buffs Ifrit got (2.3?). It's more that Second Coil doesn't really favor Ifrit outside of T8 so his higher base damage is lost a bit due to the fight design. Final Coil he was better most of the time. Garuda still has her uses, though (e.g., Ravana EX is a pretty bad Ifrit fight / Contagion DoTs during vulnerability is seriously way too good to give up).

AgeEighty

It looks to me as though, with the possible exception of MCH right now, most classes are falling right in line along the DPS : support balance ratios. At the top of DPS you have DRG who has basically no support, right behind is MNK who offers a little support, NIN and BLM right behind that with slightly more support, then BRD and MCH at the tail end with a bunch of support.

What's the best use for Dark Arts? I unlocked it yesterday and didn't really understando how much if buffs my skills and how often should I use it, as it spends a crapload of MP.

And my wife is liking AST, but she's not really confident in how it compares to SCH and WHM. It's a shame that AST and MCH appears to be underpowered.

On pulls, use DA and Dark passenger after you have them grouped. Blind and decent damage to all of them. Only do this at near full MP on a pull. If you are between mobs, without blood price up, then save your MP for extra Unleash instead.
Dark Mind on stuff you know is magic.
If you know your healers can handle it an the content doesn't hit to hard and you need the dps, you can easily hold agro off Grit if you use it on Power Slash, but that use is rare.
Soul Eater will be your main go to for DA
Carve and Spit at 60 is another crazy damage attack withe DA, but if you have been SoulEating regularly, you are probably better off using it to get back MP since its like a minute cooldown.

Never use it on Abyssal Drain. Such shit.
Dark Dance evasion is pretty lame too.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
It looks to me as though, with the possible exception of MCH right now, most classes are falling right in line along the DPS : support balance ratios. At the top of DPS you have DRG who has basically no support, right behind is MNK who offers a little support, NIN and BLM right behind that with slightly more support, then BRD and MCH at the tail end with a bunch of support.

Litany is such an amazing party tool it doesn't matter there's no mitigation DRGs provide. Even if DRGs weren't so disgustingly OP on their own, you'd still want them for Litany. The real problem with MCH is that the class requires some real finesse to approach competitive DPS numbers with little reward just because it's designated as a "support" class.

aceface

I still don't understand the hate.

Just run a dungeon twice and it's the equivalent of about 24 Moogle quests. No reason to do them.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like

Seriously those Side Quests where you basically play Hide and Seek in the north area of the map (forgot the name of the area but it's in the dome/arena area where the final phase of the Darkfang FATE is fought) almost made me Rage Quit because I haven't encountered such BS Side Quests since The Greatest Story Never Told SQ.

scy

Battle Litany and Disembowel on Dragoon would sort of negate that whole "no support" thing, unless you meant defensive support. Summoner skews things a bit as well since we have Eye for an Eye and Supervirus, both extra relevant as it's possible to be without a SCH so we're possibly the only source for some groups.

If anything, DRG and SMN are just really good offensive and defensive support right now while also being the top DPS. Bard and Machinist get relegated to "support role!" but MP management for every class improved / MP inflation bade Ballad a lot worse. Fight design will let us know how big of a deal TP generation is and even that improved a decent amount for most people.

Never use it on Abyssal Drain. Such shit.
Dark Dance evasion is pretty lame too.

Abyssal Drain is pretty good on AoE pulls. Once. Though this is really just because you have infinite MP due to Blood Price and not really because it's super amazing.

And I think Dark Dance is an okay bonus cooldown when Blood Price is about to fall off and your MP is extra high since 20% bonus evasion, even as RNG, is pretty good for trash.

Just run a dungeon twice and it's the equivalent of about 24 Moogle quests. No reason to do them.

Because if I don't do them there are a million ( ! ) markers all over the Churning Mists.

besides, it's roughly 4 dungeons worth of EXP in all those quests (I got around 1.6M from the entire circuit) so it's fairly worthwhile.

Abyssal Drain is pretty good on AoE pulls. Once. And I think Dark Dance is an okay bonus cooldown when Blood Price is about to fall off and your MP is extra high since 20% bonus evasion, even as RNG, is pretty good for trash.

At most, ive seen Drain give me about 350 per enemy, which equates to like one of enemies autos. At 60, with DA and the MP for AD, thats like 2000 MP for health you literally lose the next second. I will never touch it again.

I guess i just havent seen enough evasion procs to make dance worth it very often. But if Blood Price has put you back near the top, your right that you might as damn well use it against a mob.

iammeiam

BRD and MCH are basically in very similar DPS:support situations, though. The practical DPS delta is negligible with similar gearing, the two battery skills are identical (I know initial reports said Machinist TP/MP regen was lower, but based on a bunch of testing last night this is completely untrue), Machinist and Bard regens appear to actually stack, Machinist Hypercharge on Promotion also impacts the Machinist, which BV doesn't do for Bards, Machinist has some debuff stuff Bard doesn't have. Foe Req is the big difference; Machinist has no flat equivalen but Hypercharge in DPS mode provides 25 seconds of 5% physical or magic vulnerability on a two minute timer with no MP drain.
It's less of a raw boost than Foe is for magic users, but 5% for physical DPS+tanks isn't nothing and the two minute CD lets you have it up quite a bit.

At some point I will stop White Knighting Machinist, but at this point the support classes are pretty much interchangeable.
One is just more fun.

Stuart444

So finished the story, thoughts:

I absolutely LOVED the story. The areas were great, hinterlands is by favourite area. I also loved how in Azys Lla, you go through the area slowly, unlocking one current at a time until you see Tiamat (;_;) and then you get to ride fucking MIDGARDSORMR.

I loved the final dungeon, so Coilish and that boss that turns into different Coil bosses. Didn't have too much trouble, only wiped twice, once because of concentrating on the node instead of the adds for the first of the two nodes that spawns adds. And once because of one of the guys with us forgot the name of an attack so we didn't get into orbs to avoid it.

And the final trial, fucking Knights of the Round. That was amazing, I want a hard mode, it was awesome.

Also ;_; Estinien has turned into... Nidhogg?

I loved seeing Aymeric talk with Midgardsormr, promising to bring peace between man and dragon. It's nice to see Ishgard part of the Alliance again.

And then that scene on the MOON. The Warrior of Darkness... the guy from the trailers. o_O This will be interesting.

Also LOL @ Cid's reaction when Alexander wakes up. Looking forward to seeing Alexander.

So interested in where they go with the story. We still need to find the rest of the Scions, The Garleans are still out there. The Ascians. Nidhogg and of course the Warrior of Darkness.

So yes, overall, the story feels like any single player FF. I absolutely loved it.

Oldsql

Would someone like to send me his friend invite code? I will add 60 days to my subscription today and if it helps someone else that´s even better.

jorgeton

I have a compulsion to do sidequests. Those floating untouched exclamation points taunt me. It's a form of OCD.

But the Moogle quests were especially annoying. I think the Churning Mists is what breaks most people. The shout chat there is especially.. colorful.. compared to other areas.

Azzurri

I just resubbed and finished the Ifrit story line part, so 25ish. Can I just do MSQ and class quests and make my way to 50 w/o any side quests since the older stuff has been buffed.?

Also, this isn't a question but an observation, but from what I've read from various forums and watched on Twitch, it seems that AST and MCH are very underwhelming compared to DKT and the older classes. It seems like they didn't put as much effort into them as they did into DKT. I really want to play AST once I can unlock it, but from what I've read it's kinda disheartening.

bump

xxczx

Yeah you can do 1-50 without any side quests or any grinding for gear while you progress through the level 50 ARR content. I've heard AST is like the Bard of healers but I haven't really read much about them (or played it outside a couple dungeon runs) so I couldn't tell you

iammeiam

Spoken like somebody not living the DPS queue life. For Bard it was basically forty minutes of side quests per dungeon I actually managed to get into.

Queue carries are obviously preferable, but if you can't get them it's Moogle purgatory forever and ever since IIRC that was also the first really big EXP gap.

azyless

I just resubbed and finished the Ifrit story line part, so 25ish. Can I just do MSQ and class quests and make my way to 50 w/o any side quests since the older stuff has been buffed.?
I've been skipping the sidequests (except those that unlock stuff) since lvl 20 and I'm still 2 levels above MSQ at lvl 43, so I'd say yes.

AST is fine, but in my opinion is slightly worse than either other healer so for pure progression I probably wouldn't pick one over a WHM or SCH. That said most people would just want a good healer, regardless of the class. They're fine for the normal content at least. MCH is fine, as much as it can be. It's the same as bard, in the sense that they're way behind DPS classes, but that's fairly standard, it was the case in 2.0 also. In content where their support doesn't really matter(most of the dungeons and stuff), they're pretty much crappy DPS with no upside, but eh.

As for DRK, it's the same as AST in my opinion. It's a good class, can clear all easy content, but if you had to pick for progression, I think PLD/WAR is still better. DRK/WAR might be nice if you don't have a monk for dragon kick though, but you take more physical damage and have a tank with less/worse cooldowns.

Sorian

Banned

I don't know about old leveling, sorry

As for the other stuff, AST is going to be huge once people get into raids, people are very much underestimating how much extra DPS they are going to allow the group to do and once that clicks, I'm expecting them to be a hot commodity.

MCH is just under tuned, this isn't from them putting less effort into them, they just tested the numbers incorrectly. Unfortunately, this does make them a weak option until they get a patch in to buff them. I'm hoping this hits before Savage Alexander but that may not be the case.

scy

At most, ive seen Drain give me about 350 per enemy, which equates to like one of enemies autos. At 60, with DA and the MP for AD, thats like 2000 MP for health you literally lose the next second. I will never touch it again.

I edited in what I was getting at but it was probably too late. Basically, on AoE pulls I have practically infinite MP anyway so getting back ~300-400 HP per target isn't a bad dump of MP around the middle of Blood Price. It's also because you can Dark Arts -> Abyssal Drain + Dark Passenger together and get both their DA'd effects for one DA cost. Remove that and I'd probably not DA it ever.

I guess i just havent seen enough evasion procs to make dance worth it very often. But if Blood Price has put you back near the top, your right that you might as damn well use it against a mob.

It's just another case of "I have all the MP in the world right now" due to Blood Price. If there's more multi-hit tank killers (e.g., Rapid Sever), the extra 20% chance to dodge is nice ... though it probably won't change the healing response. Feel like this should've just been mini-Rampart DA effect.

MCH is just under tuned, this isn't from them putting less effort into them, they just tested the numbers incorrectly. Unfortunately, this does make them a weak option until they get a patch in to buff them. I'm hoping this hits before Savage Alexander but that may not be the case.

I mean ... the current top numbers from them have the difference between them and Bards at around 10 DPS.

I still think they need some improvements but it's a "both them and Bard" sort of thing.

I edited in what I was getting at but it was probably too late. Basically, on AoE pulls I have practically infinite MP anyway so getting back ~300-400 HP per target isn't a bad dump of MP around the middle of Blood Price. It's also because you can Dark Arts -> Abyssal Drain + Dark Passenger together and get both their DA'd effects for one DA cost. Remove that and I'd probably not DA it ever.

Wait, really? Is that a bug?

So, how much XP do those 5 patches of lvl 50 MSQ give now?

Could a fresh player hit 51 or even approach 52 before they hit heavensward content?

I am at 51 now while I work my way through the 2.1 to 2.55 content.

I will probably just hit 52 before I reach Heavensward stuff.

Edit: I am not fresh though. Just jumped back in a week ago at around level 46 and I have been rushing through MSQ stuff since.

Sorian

Banned
I mean ... the current top numbers from them have the difference between them and Bards at around 10 DPS.

I still think they need some improvements but it's a "both them and Bard" sort of thing.

I think BRDs are under tuned too. Guess I could have pre-empted with that. My opinion is really just based on community sentiment (which is bad, I know) but all I can really say for myself is that the few level 60 runs I get with MCH was they were absolute shit dps but this is with strangers and I can't tell if they are even playing right.

Xion_Stellar

So, how much XP do those 5 patches of lvl 50 MSQ give now?

Could a fresh player hit 51 or even approach 52 before they hit heavensward content?
You won't get enough to even hit Lv.56

I am at 51 now while I work my way through the 2.1 to 2.55 content.

I will probably just hit 52 before I reach Heavensward stuff.

Edit: I am not fresh though. Just jumped back in a week ago at around level 46 and I have been rushing through MSQ stuff since.

That's really good to hear. Might mean the 55-56 xp wall will be far less of an annyoance for new players which will make sure they dont get too fustrated

Azzurri

I've been skipping the sidequests (except those that unlock stuff) since lvl 20 and I'm still 2 levels above MSQ at lvl 43, so I'd say yes.

Cool, I can't remember, but the ones that unlock stuff do they tell you prior to it? Or do I have to go find the quest myself?

Dunan

Is anyone else overwhelmed by the complexity of having a pre-made hotbar full of abilities when you start one of the new classes at level 30?

I tried being a Machinist and it wasn't like learning other classes from level 1 and figuring out what each ability does as you acquire it, and integrating that into the other abilities you already have.

They then compound things by forcing your level 30 Machinist to get past some very tough level 34 Velociraptors just to do the introductory test (which I passed one my second try; first time around I couldn't find one of the enemies and ran out of time).

Not that I want to grind from 1 to 30, but if I start a second one of these classes I just might begin with the level 10, 15, 20... guildhests to get a feel for things before trying real level-30 content.

(I love guildhests and wish there were a dozen more of them. They do a great job of teaching you how to play the game, and because you've got other party members to guide you, they do it without the frustration that comes from solo story quests. But because they're so short and bite-sized, you can (unlike in dungeons) run them repeatedly and learn every aspect of the battles and what the game is asking of you. They should have made at least four more guildhests for levels 45, 50, 55, and 60.)

scy

Wait, really? Is that a bug?

Oh dear. Did I just blow your mind? lol

Yeah, you can pair together long animation + short animation DA skills and get both their effects. For instance, Dark Passenger + Soul Eater, Carve and Spit + Soul Eater or Power Slash + Dark Dance. Order is important.

Edit: It is most definitely a bug so please be prepared for this to go away in like a day probably.

Cool, I can't remember, but the ones that unlock stuff do they tell you prior to it? Or do I have to go find the quest myself?

I dont remember them explicity saying what they unlock.

Lukcily, there are a few places, like the Rising Stones Bar in Mor Dhona or Waking Sands in Thanalan, where multiple extra dunegons and EX primals quests are started.

Use this website, under dungeons to give you the heads up on where to go if you have any questions: http://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/

Oh dear. Did I just blow your mind? lol

Yeah, you can pair together long animation + short animation DA skills and get both their effects. For instance, Dark Passenger + Soul Eater, Carve and Spit + Soul Eater or Power Slash + Dark Dance. Order is important.

Edit: It is most definitely a bug so please be prepared for this to go away in like a day probably.

: o

What a glorious bug. I wish i heard about it sooner. Thank you

Top Bottom