• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

I wish I had been told this earlier but someone recently recommended to avoid doing a lot of the side quests your first run through because you will want them when you are leveling your second job.

Sorian

Banned
Is anyone else overwhelmed by the complexity of having a pre-made hotbar full of abilities when you start one of the new classes at level 30?

I tried being a Machinist and it wasn't like learning other classes from level 1 and figuring out what each ability does as you acquire it, and integrating that into the other abilities you already have.

They then compound things by forcing your level 30 Machinist to get past some very tough level 34 Velociraptors just to do the introductory test (which I passed one my second try; first time around I couldn't find one of the enemies and ran out of time).

Not that I want to grind from 1 to 30, but if I start a second one of these classes I just might begin with the level 10, 15, 20... guildhests to get a feel for things before trying real level-30 content.

(I love guildhests and wish there were a dozen more of them. They do a great job of teaching you how to play the game, and because you've got other party members to guide you, they do it without the frustration that comes from solo story quests. But because they're so short and bite-sized, you can (unlike in dungeons) run them repeatedly and learn every aspect of the battles and what the game is asking of you. They should have made at least four more guildhests for levels 45, 50, 55, and 60.)

Every single guildhest in the game should have been mandatory and the mechanic that you are expected to learn in each should have been more unforgiving (ie unrecoverable). If they had done that then maybe we'd have less garbage players at end game.

WarMacheen

I dont remember them explicity saying what they unlock.

Lukcily, there are a few places, like the Rising Stones Bar in Mor Dhona or Waking Sands in Thanalan, where multiple extra dunegons and EX primals quests are started.

Use this website, under dungeons to give you the heads up on where to go if you have any questions: http://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/

: o

What a glorious bug. I wish i heard about it sooner

I'm finally really getting into FF14 after having the game since launch. Thanks for that link this section helped

http://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Content_Unlock

aceface

Spoken like somebody not living the DPS queue life. For Bard it was basically forty minutes of side quests per dungeon I actually managed to get into.

Queue carries are obviously preferable, but if you can't get them it's Moogle purgatory forever and ever since IIRC that was also the first really big EXP gap.

Got a spouse and an army of lalafells to carry me in queues (cause they want minions)

Mastamind

I wish I had been told this earlier but someone recently recommended to avoid doing a lot of the side quests your first run through because you will want them when you are leveling your second job.

You'll likely end up needing them on your first job to level unless you grind dungeons or fates. Had to grind all of the side quests available in the churning mists to get from 55 to 56 to continue the main story quest.

Is anyone else overwhelmed by the complexity of having a pre-made hotbar full of abilities when you start one of the new classes at level 30?

I tried being a Machinist and it wasn't like learning other classes from level 1 and figuring out what each ability does as you acquire it, and integrating that into the other abilities you already have.

They then compound things by forcing your level 30 Machinist to get past some very tough level 34 Velociraptors just to do the introductory test (which I passed one my second try; first time around I couldn't find one of the enemies and ran out of time).

Not that I want to grind from 1 to 30, but if I start a second one of these classes I just might begin with the level 10, 15, 20... guildhests to get a feel for things before trying real level-30 content.

(I love guildhests and wish there were a dozen more of them. They do a great job of teaching you how to play the game, and because you've got other party members to guide you, they do it without the frustration that comes from solo story quests. But because they're so short and bite-sized, you can (unlike in dungeons) run them repeatedly and learn every aspect of the battles and what the game is asking of you. They should have made at least four more guildhests for levels 45, 50, 55, and 60.)

Just TP to mist and use your skills on the dummy/read them, takes like 5mins to figure it out, it's not so bad.

Just TP to mist and use your skills on the dummy/read them, takes like 5mins to figure it out, it's not so bad.

Basically.

The first thing i do is delete the entire bar, and read every skill as i place them.

At this point for a dps or tank, you know the pattern of the early skills. The 3 hit combo moves, the early dot, the stun/silence, the buff, the stance change etc. I just slot them into where i am most familiar with them being from other classes.

Howdy all,

I tried out the trial for a few days and I'm thinking of jumping in proper. This is my first MMO and I was frankly beyond overwhelmed the first time I played. I'm starting to get a good feel for the general flow of things now. I just have a few beginner questions.

1. Any fun class recommendations for someone new to MMO's?

I tried Arcanist until level 15 and while it was fun, I can see managing the pets skills and positioning being very tough for me. I was thinking of starting again and going conjurer/WM, are they tough to solo with?

2. I have know idea how free company's work but I'd like to join the GAF one. Is it at max capacity? Should I even bother trying to join before level 60?

3. Probably been asked to death but what's the best time of day/night to try create a character on Ultros?

Any help is appreciated. Also I'd be grateful if someone can throw me a referral code.

Sorian

Banned
Howdy all,

I tried out the trial for a few days and I'm thinking of jumping in proper. This is my first MMO and I was frankly beyond overwhelmed the first time I played. I'm starting to get a good feel for the general flow of things now. I just have a few beginner questions.

1. Any fun class recommendations for someone new to MMO's?

I tried Arcanist until level 15 and while it was fun, I can see managing the pets skills and positioning being very tough for me. I was thinking of starting again and going conjurer/WM, are they tough to solo with?

2. I have know idea how free company's work but I'd like to join the GAF one. Is it at max capacity? Should I even bother trying to join before level 60?

3. Probably been asked to death but what's the best time of day/night to try create a character on Ultros?

Any help is appreciated. Also I'd be grateful if someone can throw me a referral code.

1) What are you looking to do? Tank, DPS, or Healer? To answer the specific question, no, WHM gets a damage stance that makes them fine to solo with. All jobs can solo the main story stuff with varying levels of effort (not difficulty wise but a tank will kill things slower than a DPS for example)

2) Nope, we are always taking people fresh or otherwise. With the new expac we do have more people than usual but I don't think we are capped. See OP for instructions to join.

3) Your best bet is to check between midnight and 6am EST. There is an exact time where they check server status which I can't remember at the moment but that time is probably when you will be able to get in if possible. With the business from the expac though, I don't know how that's been looking each night.

PM me if you want a referral code.

I think most of the theorycrafting I've seen argues for Minuet/GB for opener, turn off, only reactivate during jumps when buffs are back up. But the Minuet/GB DPS gain is still minimal enough that for a lot of people it's not worth it.

That's what I've been doing. I only use Gauss Barrel with Rapid Fire and Wildfire. I don't think it's coincident that Rapid Fire and Wildfire have the same CD. In nut shell, you shouldn't allow casting while having GB on. Rapid Fire and procs are the only 2 things to make that happen. So for opener I do all buffs -> Dot -> Rapid Fire/Wildfire/GB on -> 1-2-1-3-2-3 with oGDs weaving-> GB off.

Dunan

Every single guildhest in the game should have been mandatory and the mechanic that you are expected to learn in each should have been more unforgiving (ie unrecoverable). If they had done that then maybe we'd have less garbage players at end game.

I actually think that how forgiving they is what's great about them. As long as one or two of the members knows what's going on, they can explain the situation to the noobs and you can come back from just about any situation, unlike a typical boss battle in a dungeon where you would wipe over and over and have people at each other's throats.

It seems to me that roughly two or three times out of ten, someone doesn't know that you have to lead that turtle over to the herb patch and continues fighting it until the other members get it across to him. If his mistake resulted in an instant wipe, it becomes frustrating instead of confidence-building. Same with the poisoned bubbles surrounding Toxic Tamlyn. In both cases, the party can mess up quite a bit and still right the ship, leaving everyone feeling good about things and the newbies a little bit more knowledgeable.

1) What are you looking to do? Tank, DPS, or Healer? To answer the specific question, no, WHM gets a damage stance that makes them fine to solo with. All jobs can solo the main story stuff with varying levels of effort (not difficulty wise but a tank will kill things slower than a DPS for example)

2) Nope, we are always taking people fresh or otherwise. With the new expac we do have more people than usual but I don't think we are capped. See OP for instructions to join.

3) Your best bet is to check between midnight and 6am EST. There is an exact time where they check server status which I can't remember at the moment but that time is probably when you will be able to get in if possible. With the business from the expac though, I don't know how that's been looking each night.

PM me if you want a referral code.

Thanks for replying!

Well that all seems like good news. It's hard to decide on a role because like I said I haven't any experience with those jobs before. I have yet to even party up with the conjurer I've been messing around with!

The closest I've played to this style of game would be FF XII and a fair amount of Diablo. So I guess a healer would be good to try mix things up a bit. I imagine all roles become complex and important to a team approaching endgame but I like the idea of just dodging crap and keeping the team topped up. As opposed to tanking which I hear can be tough and I get yelled at enough on Dota already.

One more thing I'd like to know is how important stat allocation is. I understand you can swap between any class however are you basically pigeon holed into certain classes due to the way you've specced your stats? I saw that there is a cost to respec but I have no concept as to whether that's considered expensive.

I'm probably obsessing too much over stuff that is months away from needing to be worried about.

The ability to respec stats is insanely cheap and easy, to the point you could do it multiple times even for one fight. The stats also don't have THAT much weight, though of course min/max is min/max.

Jayhawk

I've seen maybe one minion drop the whole time from 51-60. :<

I rolled a 99 on a minion drop and immediately sold it to Kagari. I need to grind dungeons on my SCH and SMN soon because my Arcanist retainer needs to start hoarding Deepeye Tears and Amphiptere Skins for me.

Somebody please buy that Chivalric Doublet of Healing on the Market Board while I am back at work for the first time since expansion launched.

Sorian

Banned
I actually think that how forgiving they is what's great about them. As long as one or two of the members knows what's going on, they can explain the situation to the noobs and you can come back from just about any situation, unlike a typical boss battle in a dungeon where you would wipe over and over and have people at each other's throats.

It seems to me that roughly two or three times out of ten, someone doesn't know that you have to lead that turtle over to the herb patch and continues fighting it until the other members get it across to him. If his mistake resulted in an instant wipe, it becomes frustrating instead of confidence-building. Same with the poisoned bubbles surrounding Toxic Tamlyn. In both cases, the party can mess up quite a bit and still right the ship, leaving everyone feeling good about things and the newbies a little bit more knowledgeable.

The bubbles are exactly what I was thinking about. There are so many people that don't know which bubble should be attacked and which shouldn't and most of the time, they don't care. Kill them all and let the healers sort out the damage seems to be the general sentiment more often than not and I feel like that's a problem.

Killing the turtle should result in a wipe (I don't know what it does if you kill the turtle, never been in a group that killed it).

I feel like the guild hests were good in theory but they don't actually teach mechanics to people who don't care and that's and issue because later on, the game says "hey, you HAVE to care about mechanics"

Thanks for replying!

Well that all seems like good news. It's hard to decide on a role because like I said I haven't any experience with those jobs before. I have yet to even party up with the conjurer I've been messing around with!

The closest I've played to this style of game would be FF XII and a fair amount of Diablo. So I guess a healer would be good to try mix things up a bit. I imagine all roles become complex and important to a team approaching endgame but I like the idea of just dodging crap and keeping the team topped up. As opposed to tanking which I hear can be tough and I get yelled at enough on Dota already.

One more thing I'd like to know is how important stat allocation is. I understand you can swap between any class however are you basically pigeon holed into certain classes due to the way you've specced your stats? I saw that there is a cost to respec but I have no concept as to whether that's considered expensive.

I'm probably obsessing too much over stuff that is months away from needing to be worried about.

If healer is your jive then, for now, I would just present either white mage or scholar to you. The upside to white mage is you will start as the healing conjurer class and you will be healing all group content right from the start. On the flip side, scholar requires you to have an arcanist to level 30 so you will be spending the first 30 levels dpsing before you actually get into healing. Scholar is, arguably, the easier class to health with (especially at lower levels than cap) because you have a pet that will do a lot of the healing for you. Really, from there, the choice is yours and remember, you can always change jobs at any time on a single character.

Stat allocation is whatever, all your points are recommended to go into the same stat (for healers that stat will be mind) and it is cheap these days to re-spec it. The only hitch is with arcanist because it has two jobs branching from it. Your stat allocation is saved to each class so what you put your points into as an arcanist will be the same for both summoner and scholar and SMN wants intelligence instead of mind. Probably won't come up for you though because SMN is the gameplay you've been experiencing while playing arcanist.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I rolled a 99 on a minion drop and immediately sold it to Kagari. I need to grind dungeons on my SCH and SMN soon because my Arcanist retainer needs to start hoarding Deepeye Tears and Amphiptere Skins for me.

Somebody please buy that Chivalric Doublet of Healing on the Market Board while I am back at work for the first time since expansion launched.

I fund the minion dream!

saher

Banned
Downloading! {Excitement}

First thing am going to do is get machinist to 50 and then start the heavensward story :DDDDD

am not going to repeat the same mistake of the launch of 2.0 and rush through the story, going to take it slow this time.

Arkeband

Banned
In B4 DRG nerf.

I would hope not, considering how much of a clusterfuck it is to attain those parses (~1200?)
If WAR's are hitting 900, DRG's only doing 30% more damage than a tank class (when apparently healers would prefer to do 0 DPS) doesn't really scream to me OP, but whatever.

I said before that tanks are overtuned - what does everyone think optimal parses would be? Tanks in MMO's are usually never more than 50-60% of what a true DPS class outputs.

Litany is OP, though. Single handedly one of the best burn phase moves. It's like popping a WoW shaman's Bloodlust.

Thanks a bunch for the advice.

Now to decide on whether to do the smart thing and buy the base game and go to 50 to decide if it's really my thing... or just jump in 2 feet first and get the expansion so I can start as that cool looking new class. Hmm

Sorian

Banned
Thanks a bunch for the advice.

Now to decide on whether to do the smart thing and buy the base game and go to 50 to decide if it's really my thing... or just jump in 2 feet first and get the expansion so I can start as that cool looking new class. Hmm

Buy only the base game, you can't be any of the new classes until you complete the storyline up to the new expac and that will require a level 50. There is 0 reason to own the expac until you have a level 50 character (then buy it so you can continue getting xp).

Buy only the base game, you can't be any of the new classes until you complete the storyline up to the new expac and that will require a level 50. There is 0 reason to own the expac until you have a level 50 character (then buy it so you can continue getting xp).

Sorry I meant the new race. Which still isn't a reason to go straight for the expac.

You'll get a fantasia which let's you remake your entire character's looks after your first month of subscription, so you can save it for later if you want. But going Au Ra from the start is the right choice anyway.

Squishy3

Has anybody had any issues where the loading screens lock up for extended periods of time? It's been happening to me everytime I've either tried to teleport or enter a duty.

Also have a really annoying bug that's started since Heavensward came out where it decides to spam the + key on my keyboard. Only occurs when playing FFXIV and nothing else, eventually goes away after awhile (or after a restart) but it's the most annoying thing ever. Found a 9 month old Reddit thread about it, different key (ctrl) but same problem. Key is never getting stuck since I can mash it multiple times and I can never manage to get it stuck. Seems to be exclusively within FFXIV, and I've had it happen like 8 times in the past hour.

Sorian

Banned
Isn't buying the combo pack cheaper though?

Probably, but it's entirely possible someone could decide to drop the game before even reaching HW content, probably not worth dropping the extra dosh up front for that reason and because who knows what could happen sales-wise before he gets a character to 50.

Sorry I meant the new race. Which still isn't a reason to go straight for the expac.

True, the race is locked behind the expac but keep in mind, if you buy the collector's edition of the expac later, among the rewards you will get is a fantasia bottle which lets you edit everything about your character (including gender and race) once. You will also get a bottle for free after paying for one month of game time.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Has anybody had any issues where the loading screens lock up for extended periods of time? It's been happening to me everytime I've either tried to teleport or enter a duty.
Are you by chance playing on PS4? Because I had a similar issue with loading screens back when the 2.4 patch came out but I easily fixed it once I rebuilded the database on my PS4.

Soma

i really liked the artwork so i did a thing:

FFXIV Heavensward

55TKNne.png

PC | PS4

scy

I said before that tanks are overtuned - what does everyone think optimal parses would be? Tanks in MMO's are usually never more than 50-60% of what a true DPS class outputs.

Honestly? I think ~900 DPS is fine. It puts them well under most DPS in the most optimal of DPS situations (nothing but STR gear everywhere) which means that these are not realistic at all when it comes to actual tanking. It's not like you'd take a tank over an actual DPS even at these numbers. They're good numbers for tanks and bad for melee DPS. I think it's more that every DPS should be at 1050+ rather than tanks are too good.

Squishy3

Are you by chance playing on PS4? Because I had a similar issue with loading screens back when the 2.4 patch came out but I easily fixed it once I rebuilded the database on my PS4.
Nope, playing on PC. Only happens in FFXIV and only started happening after Heavensward came out. No other issues loading other games, so it shouldn't be a hard drive problem. Might try verifying installation or something if that is an option in the client.

TUSR

Banned
Im finally back at the game after taking time off

Now I have a new computer, and borderless window mode only runs at 720P

Is there a way to get it to render at 1080p?

Wortany

Welp, I'm back in after quitting just prior to the 2.1 patch. There's now still so much stuff to do before even being able to get to the expansion, crazy!

Welp, I'm back in after quitting just prior to the 2.1 patch. There's now still so much stuff to do before even being able to get to the expansion, crazy!

Hah yeah I quit before a realm awoken and I was expecting all my coil gear to be trash but I spent all my free time this weekend just trying to get through my story quests to get to the expansion and I'm still not there :(.

Im finally back at the game after taking time off

Now I have a new computer, and borderless window mode only runs at 720P

Is there a way to get it to render at 1080p?

I force it by using the custom resolution option. I forget what I had to do. I think first windowed, then set the resolution, then switch? Still, I hate borderless windowed for that reason. If I don't have a stream going on the side then I just go back to full screen.

Firebrand

Not sure I'd recommend this. Not that I've started levelling alts yet, but there's already been several large exp gaps in the main scenario for me despite doing loads of sidequests along the way. Some quests also lead to aether currents, and others are just plain interesting and add a bit of flavor and backstory to the zones.

I suppose it depends on how soon you want to level new jobs.

docbon

I said before that tanks are overtuned - what does everyone think optimal parses would be? Tanks in MMO's are usually never more than 50-60% of what a true DPS class outputs

Honestly, having no buttons to push for big deeps, and generally hitting like a wet noodle, would make the tank classes dreadfully boring like they are in other MMOs.

Squishy3

Not sure I'd recommend this. Not that I've started levelling alts yet, but there's already been several large exp gaps in the main scenario for me despite doing loads of sidequests along the way. Some quests also lead to aether currents, and others are just plain interesting and add a bit of flavor and backstory to the zones.

I think he might be talking about ARR, which is totally plausible, because even before MSQ quests gave 50% more EXP after HW came out, you'd still outlevel sidequests in zones quite a bit.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like

I didn't follow that advice because the OCD in me wouldn't allow me too. Besides it's not hard to solo to Lv.15 and spam dungeons afterwards in my opinion.

Nope, playing on PC. Only happens in FFXIV and only started happening after Heavensward came out. No other issues loading other games, so it shouldn't be a hard drive problem. Might try verifying installation or something if that is an option in the client.
At the very least if I would reinstall the game just to make sure.

I kind of feel like Royal Authority is a waste of a slot.

Compared to WAR, BB combo is highest damage and enmity builder, Storm's Eye is second highest and applies the 10% slashing resistance debuff, and Storm's Path reduces enemy damage output and heals you for half of the damage.

All of them are useful and have specific effects.

Royal Authority is just potency. When PLDs have been playing with Halone as their highest enmity builder and damage combo for so long, only for one of the new combo enders to just be a simple potency increase, it feels lame, underwhelming, and I honestly think something else should have been included in its place.

I think there's also just an issue with the design of the job itself that lends itself to incuding boredom fairly quickly. It probably won't happen but I wouldn't mind if they completely redesigned the job or parts of it to be more active and/or promote monitoring things like WAR has to (but defense/protection oriented).

Pulling off a clutch IB or fitting 3-4 full stack abilities in a single Berserk cooldown feels good and rewarding.

Nothing the Paladin has feels rewarding in anywhere near the same sense.

Top Bottom