• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Ken

Royal Authority is fine. Being off Savage means you'll maintain high threat but not enough to overtake MT doing the full 1-2-3. We also already have STR Down and Goring to maintain so a straight potency move is good.

Yeah, Warrior has the better debuffs but at least PLD now has some party utility with Divine Veil and Clemency.

PLD is still the king of mitigation CDs too, especially with a 100% block every 30 seconds now in Sheltron. Yeah, PLD isn't as combo-heavy or action packed as a WAR but nothing wrong with appealing to two different crowds of players. I definitely appreciate the simplicity of PLD's rotation.

Tabris

Royal Authority wasted slot? I use it every 3rd rotation and I don't even bother with Rage during trash packs unless the mob hits hard that I want to apply the STR debuff to.

Also if the boss / mob is a caster, I won't use Rage at all, except maybe in an intro rotation to ensure that hate.

So the answer is I now use Royal Authority more than Rage.

As for Clemency, I thought it was going to be a game changer but honestly it just ends up being used for emergencies. During progression it'll be useful to use in certain situations but not as useful as I thought. They need to either reduce MP, decrease cast time, or add a bigger enmity boost from it.

Divine Veil will be nice for things like the equivalent of Gigaflare in new progression.

Ken

Clemency is ok as it is now. It's not so dependable that you'll always be able to get it off but the cure potency is high enough that it can save a person if healers are occupied. It's not going to salvage wipes but having a third (or fourth) source of heals is always welcome in a pinch.

It's basically the thing to use when you see a BLM/SMN trying to physick someone.

As for rest of the kit:

Sheltron is obviously fantastic against physical tank busters. A 30 second CD Bulwark basically. And it's obviously useless against magical tank busters but at least it's free Shield Swipes and MP.

Divine Veil will be one of those major mitigation tools for phase transitions in the league of Sacred Soil, Super Virus, DK, Storm's Path and party SS/succor from 2.x.

Goring Blade is really nice coming in at 540 potency for full duration alone. Coming off Riot Blade nets you MP as a bonus.

Already talked a little about RA in previous post. Super nice that it comes off Savage so if you're MT, you're still generating some enmity.

Overall PLDs got nice party utility (especially in the removal of WHM's super SS), more buttons to press more often, and a much needed change to their rotations.

fedexpeon

Banned
Clemency is ok as it is now. It's not so dependable that you'll always be able to get it off but the cure potency is high enough that it can save a person if healers are occupied. It's not going to salvage wipes but having a third (or fourth) source of heals is always welcome in a pinch.

It's basically the thing to use when you see a BLM/SMN trying to physick someone.

I don't know brah.
I healed the Library with the help of a SMN when the healer got DC'd, and it saved us from running back.
I was healing in between Riot rotation and that guard ability, used CD to regain back all my mana and repeated the cycle.

Add that you can Hallowed+heal+group shield, your healers can regen or top off more players during those time period. It can potential salvage a wipe in a larger group.

Ken

I don't know brah.
I healed the Library with the help of a SMN when the healer got DC'd, and it saved us from running back.
I was healing in between Riot rotation and that guard ability, used CD to regain back all my mana and repeated the cycle.

Add that you can Hallowed+heal+group shield, your healers can regen or top off more players during those time period. It can potential salvage a wipe in a larger group.

I've found that trash seem less likely to interrupt casts (enough so that I initially thought Clemency had a higher interrupt resist or something). I've definitely popped Clemencies on myself during big pulls so healer can DPS longer or to save the pull. In my previous post I was meaning more in a raid/EX setting rather than a dungeon though.

Though I do recall wiping to Fractal's boss even doing Hallowed/Clemency/MP restore when the healer died at like sub-10%. Was a little too much burst to keep up with Clemencies.

But idk, these are just observations since launch which isn't that long lol.

Supervirus handles both types. Dragon kick reduces just magic. Maybe others?

Storm's Path is generic damage reduction and one of the Fey spells is MR up I think.

iammeiam

Rend Mind (MCH) is 5% magic damage dealt reduction for 10 seconds. Shares a 90 second CD with the physical damage one. I'm not sure why they need to be separated. Buttons...

MogCakes

So assuming there will be magic tank-busters come Alexander, if everyone casts their magic-related buffs/debuffs at the right time the damage can be mitigated by over 50%. I'm predicting there will be more magic-related buster attacks than physical, speaking from a hypothetical designer's perspective creating raid content against the new metagame. SE has already set a precedent for this* with Neverreap's last boss.
Fucking twisters. I can never get a full rotation off

*designing against the playstyles of the jobs

Ken

So assuming there will be magic tank-busters come Alexander, if everyone casts their magic-related buffs/debuffs at the right time the damage can be mitigated by over 50%. I'm predicting there will be more magic-related buster attacks than physical, speaking from a hypothetical designer's perspective creating raid content against the new metagame. SE has already set a precedent for this with Neverreap's last boss.
Fucking twisters. I can never get a full rotation off

Over 50%? 10% from SP and 5% from Rend Mind. DK/Super Virus are stat debuffs so we won't know how much damage that translates to until it actually happens.

Oh, Astro's Disable is another 10%, and Sacred Soil is 10%. So that's 35%~?

MCH discrimination is getting strong. During the past weekend a dude in Churning Mist calling for dps for The Aery, but he specified no MCH allowed. Shouting shitstorm came to him immediately but soon after his bros came to back him up with napkin math showing why MCH dps was the worst. Then shit escalated into definition of "skills" in MMO and "mmo need no skillz" trolling. My popcorn ran out before I saw conclusion of the drama.

Ken

MCH discrimination is getting strong. During the past weekend a dude in Churning Mist calling for dps for The Aery, but he specified no MCH allowed. Shouting shitstorm came to him immediately but soon after his bros came to back him up with napkin math showing why MCH dps was the worst. Then shit escalated into definition of "skills" in MMO and "mmo need no skillz" trolling. My popcorn ran out before I saw conclusion of the drama.

Quick, someone post that Bismark PF of no other bards allowed cause need DPS.

I ran through
Aetherochemical
dungeon just fine with MCH and BLM. Both seemed to be dealing about the same damage. I did not get the impression that MCH is a shitty DPS job.

Sorian

Banned
I ran through
Aetherochemical
dungeon just fine with MCH and BLM. Both seemed to be dealing about the same damage. I did not get the impression that MCH is a shitty DPS job.

Any indicator if the BLM was a fresh 60? If they were still trying to do their 1-59 rotation then their dps would have been pretty junky. I know I didn't wrap my head aroun dthe BLM 60 rotation for a few dungeons.

Any indicator if the BLM was a fresh 60? If they were still trying to do their 1-59 rotation then their dps would have been pretty junky. I know I didn't wrap my head aroun dthe BLM 60 rotation for a few dungeons.

It could have been a case of the MCH doing as best he could while the BLM was still adjusting to new skills, but imo we were plowing through everything. Easy dungeon? Maybe. I just think the "MCH is a shit job" stuff I'm hearing everywhere is exaggerated.

I checked both of them and they were both wearing their i145 weapons

Sorian

Banned
It could have been a case of the MCH doing as best he could while the BLM was still adjusting to new skills, but imo we were plowing through everything. Easy dungeon? Maybe. I just think the "MCH is a shit job" stuff I'm hearing everywhere is exaggerated.

Very easy dungeon tuned for weak gear because it's storyline. But yes, MCH hate is very exaggerated.

iammeiam

MCH AOE is actually relatively strong for a TP user. Turret is a constant 60 potency AOE attack for free and the actual AOE skills are acceptable enough. Single target is the bigger issue, but AOE is alright. I didn't Bottom out on TP in all but a few AOE pulls, and on the couple I did the turret kept plinking along.

Over 50%? 10% from SP and 5% from Rend Mind. DK/Super Virus are stat debuffs so we won't know how much damage that translates to until it actually happens.

Bole which can be up to 15% on one target or 5% to the entire raid, Fairy magic defense buff, Eye for an Eye which is 10%, Collective Unconscious which is 10%(not sure it stacks with sacred soil though and you wouldn't run SCH+AST on shield stance anyway). Oh and Storm's Eye(or Path whichever reduces dmg). There's a lot of stuff now ^^.

Sorian

Banned
Bole which can be up to 15% on one target or 5% to the entire raid, Fairy magic defense buff, Eye for an Eye which is 10%, Collective Unconscious which is 10%(not sure it stacks with sacred soil though and you wouldn't run SCH+AST on shield stance anyway). Oh and Storm's Eye(or Path whichever reduces dmg). There's a lot of stuff now ^^.

tumblr_mupy4hOVBJ1rc7zl1o1_500.jpg

Kouriozan

Hey guys, it's Mr Happy here

Basic walkthrough for gathering collectables here.

You ready for this shit???
TnSj1N6.jpg

Do I need to do something specific to access this page?
I'm getting an error forbidden 403.

EDIT : nevermind, I registered 25 mins ago, I think my application need to be accepted or something.

Bole is the defense card from AST, Collective Unconscious is their bubble which does healing or -10%dmg depending on stance, it's awful because it has to be channeled, but eh it's there, the fairy magic defense buff is old, it's the one no one knows about on Eos though and it's hard to quantify how much it actually does. Eye and Storm's Path are old skills so eh.

I ran through
Aetherochemical

The thing is, a really good MCH can do more damage than other average DPS. You really need to be on your best to pull that off, which most MCH aren't. Imo, MCH and BRD are supposed to be supporting classes so they are not expected to do more damage than a pure dps class otherwise they would be considered broken. Like I said, there are good MCH out there who can push really good number but it's incomparable to dps from a really good dragoon or summoner.

Sorian

Banned
The thing is, a really good MCH can do more damage than other average DPS. You really need to be on your best to pull that off, which most MCH aren't. Imo, MCH and BRD are supposed to be supporting classes so they are not expected to do more damage than a pure dps class otherwise they would be considered broken. Like I said, there are good MCH out there who can push really good number but it's incomparable to dps from a really good dragoon or summoner.

One day I hope they fix the game so that this sentiment can be dropped. It, effectively, means "we're only bring a BRD/MCH because we have to, if we didn't need them to be a battery then we'd bring something useful instead."

LaneDS

What are paladins taking for cross class skills? Was briefly discussed a few pages back, but is fracture a waste of GCD (because it certainly feels like it is now)?

Foresight and bloodbath seem like the only must-haves, with everything else having only very situational use.

Well it'd be nice if they went one way or the other. Either pure support with more support-y stuff and less damage, or ranged DPS with utility, with the same DPS as normal ranged DPS. What's weird is they have lower DPS(that's fine really), and then when they do the support stuff, they lose DPS. Why do they lose DPS again for doing the thing that got their DPS lowered in the first place? Just weird design.

Would probably have been better to give classes better TP/MP management(some did, for example monks can basically DPS forever now, at a small DPS loss) and just remove this stuff altogether from both of the classes, then have bard and mch as ranged DPS with limited utility like shorter duration foe and stuff.

Sorian

Banned
Well it'd be nice if they went one way or the other. Either pure support with more support-y stuff and less damage, or ranged DPS with utility, with the same DPS as normal ranged DPS. What's weird is they have lower DPS(that's fine really), and then when they do the support stuff, they lose DPS. Why do they lose DPS again for doing the thing that got their DPS lowered in the first place? Just weird design.

Would probably have been better to give classes better TP/MP management(some did, for example monks can basically DPS forever now, at a small DPS loss) and just remove this stuff altogether from both of the classes, then have bard and mch as ranged DPS with limited utility like shorter duration foe and stuff.

Everyone should be BLM, we never tire and we never surrender. Bring me four hour fights, I can go forever.

MogCakes

I'm assuming DRK is the MT and using Dark Mind (Magic vulnerability down 15%, 30% with Dark Arts).

Razzorn34

Always kind of wished they did have proper support jobs like in XI. Loved Bard in that game.

This is probably my biggest gripe about the game(still love it though). SE completely phased out support jobs, and almost support altogether. I'm surprised to see something like AST when everything is so holy trinity based.

fedexpeon

Banned
What are paladins taking for cross class skills? Was briefly discussed a few pages back, but is fracture a waste of GCD (because it certainly feels like it is now)?

Foresight and bloodbath seem like the only must-haves, with everything else having only very situational use.

Everything sucks after those two required skills.
Mercy strike is alright for OCD ability, Protection for soloing...and that is.
You might as well put Raise on your bar to rez dead people you meet on your travel once a blue moon.

Jayhawk

Is that a Paladin I see asking somebody to level up a job that has higher DPS potential than their current job for their role?

MogCakes

They would need to adjust all existing DPS jobs so that lacking a full support class would result in lower overall DPS than having one. Said support/saboteur class would also have to have a REALLY good toolkit at hand. We're talking spells like Bubble, on-demand 50% Haste, Float, Bravery, Libra (please make use of elements more SE, you have the stats there why won't you use them), Re-Raise. Maybe a buff that increases LB gauge fill rate. On the saboteur side, Death, area-wide Freeze status, Enemy Skill, W-Attack/W-Spell, Mime, Mini, Transform, Confusion, Berserk.

I would love to play a class like that. But those abilities would likely break everything in the game, or bosses will be largely immune to them.

Zomba13

I have:
Foresight
Bloodbath
Mercy Stroke
Stoneskin
Protect

Stoneskin because it can help a little bit in fights and protect for when I'm soloing. Cure is useless, Fracture isn't worth it, Skull Sunder is 100% pointless, raise is only useful in raising dead people out in the field.

MogCakes

Alternatively, a quick-fix for the DPS vs Support problem would be to just keep all existing DPS slots and add a 9th slot specifically for a support/saboteur. Design newer content accordingly.

Valor

I have:
Foresight
Bloodbath
Mercy Stroke
Stoneskin
Protect

Stoneskin because it can help a little bit in fights and protect for when I'm soloing. Cure is useless, Fracture isn't worth it, Skull Sunder is 100% pointless, raise is only useful in raising dead people out in the field.
Yet you carry the useless skill called Protect.

I run similar cross class skills but I have fracture on instead of Protect. The tp cost is silly, but damage is damage.

Ken

Protect is great in 4-mans with Felix cause he never has Protect.

Although a serious answer is now that all Protects are equal, it's not a terrible idea if a PLD casts it on a revived member to save healer some MP.

Top Bottom