• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Was in the vault last night with a white mage that could not heal everyone. It was all weird because there would be long pauses in-between casts.

LaneDS

Is that a Paladin I see asking somebody to level up a job that has higher DPS potential than their current job for their role?

If you're talking about me, I have all the cross class skills at my disposal since forever ago and was mostly interested to hear more about whether anyone bothered with fracture (as expected, the answer appears to be no).

Ken said:
Although a serious answer is now that all Protects are equal, it's not a terrible idea if a PLD casts it on a revived member to save healer some MP.

Did not know about that change, and that's cool.

Will probably stick mercy stroke in even though the cooldown always made it a pretty disappointing skill, but when there's not five worthwhile skills to include I may as well.

Thanks all.

Sorian

Banned
If you're talking about me, I have all the cross class skills at my disposal since forever ago and was mostly interested to hear more about whether anyone bothered with fracture (as expected, the answer appears to be no).

Don't worry, he wasn't talking to you.

MCH discrimination is getting strong. During the past weekend a dude in Churning Mist calling for dps for The Aery, but he specified no MCH allowed. Shouting shitstorm came to him immediately but soon after his bros came to back him up with napkin math showing why MCH dps was the worst. Then shit escalated into definition of "skills" in MMO and "mmo need no skillz" trolling. My popcorn ran out before I saw conclusion of the drama.

You mentioned that last night. Wish i heard some of it.

If this happens to anyone, be sure to copy and paste that whole convo into a word documentl

Sorian

Banned
I've been away from home for a few days and I am going through sidequest withdrawls.

Pls send help

Moogle_FFXIV_Art_2.jpg

Side quests are on the way.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Oh please you guys make it sound like all of the Side Quests in the game are trash.

-Hildebrand Quests line is entertaining in my opinion.

-Moogle Mail Quest Line gives depth to NPCs and even gives a back story to some of those particular NPCs you fight during FATEs.

-Other NPC Quest Lines give you a sense or idea on their lives and point of views making the world feel more alive.

That is if any of you bother to READ the dialogue instead of mashing away at the button to skip the text as fast as possible.

Sorian

Banned
That is if any of you bother to READ the dialogue instead of mashing away at the button to skip the text as fast as possible.

I never did this until I did the side quests in churning mists. I just couldn't handle the inane bullshit anymore. I went back to reading the side quests once I moved out of that zone.

Wilsongt

Oh please you guys make it sound like all of the Side Quests in the game are trash.

-Hildebrand Quests line is entertaining in my opinion.

-Moogle Mail Quest Line gives depth to NPCs and even gives a back story to some of those particular NPCs you fight during FATEs.

-Other NPC Quest Lines give you a sense or idea on their lives and point of views making the world feel more alive.

I don't mind the sidequests. A lot of them in HW are well written and gave some feels.

Fuck the Moogles, though. Fuck them. I am not their personal amber alert.

iammeiam

Hey, go kill a Wadjet for me and come back!

Thanks. Hey, go kill another Wadjet for me and come back!

Thanks! Hey, go kill one more Wadjet for me, and come back!

I'm sure there's a deeply emotional and meaningful story behind it, but seriously Moogles are rotten.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I never did this until I did the side quests in churning mists. I just couldn't handle the inane bullshit anymore. I went back to reading the side quests once I moved out of that zone.
I don't blame you.....those Side Quests truly tested my patience and I was near the boiling point of simply rage quitting for the day but alas I was able to hold on.

Sorian

Banned
I don't blame you.....those Side Quests truly tested my patience and I was near the boiling point of simply rage quitting for the day but alas I was able to hold on.

I unlocked flying ASAP, put on some music, and just banged them all out as quick as possible.

I'm sure there's a deeply emotional and meaningful story behind it, but seriously Moogles are rotten.

This asshole got me though and he did this multiple times throughout that quest line. Wanted to beat him with my staff.

Real talk: Am I allowed to /shout GET SPHINX'D?

Ceedee

Neo Member
Hey Everyone,

I stopped playing maybe two months of the release of FF XIV : ARR. Is now a good time to get back into the game? I had quit because the fastest way to level was to grind in a mass raid and run around the map killing like boss creatures.

Thanks!

Wilsongt

Also, whoever thought it was smart design choice to put purple monster circles on a multilevel arena covered in purple crystals need to be taken out back

So, is there a good beginners guide somewhere before I finally boot this thing up? Haha, I'm a little intimidated because I've never ever played an MMO before. I bought this mostly due to my love for FF and because I hear good things from other XII fans.

Xion_Stellar

Thanks!,Now go back and find my Little Moogles because I couldn't be asked to do it myself.

Wilsongt

So, is there a good beginners guide somewhere before I finally boot this thing up? Haha, I'm a little intimidated because I've never ever played an MMO before. I bought this mostly due to my love for FF and because I hear good things from other XII fans.

Take it slow and enjoy yourself. Read tooltips, do the sidequests and go at your own pace.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

You know you fucked up when I like the moogles that summoned Good King Moggle Mog over you.

docbon

if square wants me to care about their sidequest storylines, they shouldn't bombard me with literally hundreds of mechanically identical quests.

BadRNG

One day I hope they fix the game so that this sentiment can be dropped. It, effectively, means "we're only bring a BRD/MCH because we have to, if we didn't need them to be a battery then we'd bring something useful instead."
Is that bad? That their usefulness is the battery function. DPS isn't the only important role.

I mean, do you feel the same way about healers, do you think "if we didn't need them to heal then we'd bring something useful instead"? I know that sounds ridiculous but that is the point, why is being able to sustain the entire party looked down upon as an inferior role in the group.

Is that bad? That their usefulness is the battery function. DPS isn't the only important role.

I mean, do you feel the same way about healers, do you think "if we didn't need them to heal then we'd bring something useful instead"? I know that sounds ridiculous but that is the point, why is being able to sustain the entire party looked down upon as an inferior role in the group.

There's a difference though because it's not done in a way that makes it interesting, and most of the focus of the class is actually on doing DPS. See healers have a lot of heals, most of their focus is on healing(they have a few damage spells too, but they're very boring and the DPS rotation of a healer is generally do all dots > spam nuke, no proc, no cooldowns, no combos, it's a minor aspect).

On the other hand, BRD/MCH is basically entirely about the DPS aspect, with a couple of buttons you can press once when you need to refill bars for people, and then it happens over a period of time. If the bard combos had buffs/debuffs linked to them, if they literally had songs combos or whatever and if they were a full blown support with a few damage skills thrown in, people wouldn't really compare them to DPS, but it isn't really the case. They're DPS classes that happen to have vital support abilities slapped on them. But because these abilities are so strong, the entire class is nerfed down to balance it out.

Xion_Stellar

if square wants me to care about their sidequest storylines, they shouldn't bombard me with literally hundreds of mechanically identical quests.
It's easier to complain about something without providing a suggestion or solution.

So let me ask you what would YOU do for Side Quests if you were in charge? Keep in my that for an MMO this big you would need to provide well over 300 Different Side Quests AND in accordance to your complain NONE of those are allowed to be mechanically the same Quests.

Because I thought about it and such notion is almost silly to think about because of the limitation within this MMO it's almost impossible to come up with 25 different Quests which are not "mechanically identical quests"

Xion_Stellar

Can I still redeem one of the "early access" codes and recurve the Baron circlet & earrings?
If your talking about codes you input on Mog Station for Bonus items of any kind they are "supposed" to have a shelf life of 1 year after release but I read that people who have ordered ARR OST from the Square-Enix Website have received codes with the OST and are still redeemable even if those codes should have all expired since last December.

So yeah I think your still good on that.

If your talking about codes you input on Mog Station for Bonus items of any kind they are "supposed" to have a shelf life of 1 year after release but I read that people who have ordered ARR OST from the Square-Enix Website have received codes with the OST and are still redeemable even if those codes should have all expired since last December.

So yeah I think your still good on that.

Awesome. Yeah, just want the circlet & earrings to make Paladin look awesome.

I'm not sure what I love about XIV more; the story based campaign or paper-dolling my character.

scy

It's more the amount they give up for the battery effect feels a bit imbalanced. I don't think their regen effects are really strong enough to warrant this whole ~20% worse than the other DPS and THEN lose 15% more to even activate it.

Nohar

Launch Low level dungeon roulette. Enter second dungeon of Heavensward. Tank quits immediatly, right at the beginning.

*eye twitching*

So... Paladins. I'm just starting to understand the cross class skill system and I get that I need both a 30 GLD and a 15 CNJ to become a PLD. But it seems that I can also pull skills from the Marauder class?

Should I level that class up as well? Or just focus on become a PLD first? Right now I'm 21 GLD & 15 CNJ. I suppose I could used all the 1~10 side quests in Lima to level MRD.

Anyone have any tips to share?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
PLD isn't in dire need of any MRD skills so you can safely ignore it.

Top Bottom