• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Munba

Some shots around, first time i see a rainbow for the last 4 years :0

NWnb3KZ.jpg

DuqHUVE.jpg

bgWpCzV.jpg

085TRkO.jpg

St4fewS.jpg

03V3J9j.jpg

And our first FC airship (its name is in honor of our
lost 'bro' :/
) gone to the skies yesterday night!

Tash

I don't have time to check the thread all day but I still have a friend code of someone is interested in some additional goodies in game :)

Shoot me a PM if you want it :)

Finished the story a few days ago and I must say, it's heaps and bounds above the previous story. I also love how everything is tied together and you have quite a few AHA! and OH CRAP! moments.

I also seriously teared up when
Haurchefant died for me
Lady Iceheart/Shiva sacrificed herself
and at the
Tiamat reveal
(what a great explanation that was). It made me seriously feel much more connected and invested in everything that came before and also content I am playing now.

The really clever re-use of existing content for the progression of the new MSQ is really brilliant. I have only praise for the expansion. No wait, Moogles..there are Moogles..yeah that's my only complained but we already know about the horror that is the moogle quest frenzy..and the Bismarck fight design is disappointing..I sure hope they make an extreme version of the final Fight, though!

Also, I have to say it again: The localization team is total God Tier level when it comes to pop culture references.

Semper88

Yeah, the game, especially the new zones, is quite beautiful. Considering it's a MMO, I'm often impressed by the sense of scale.

The new zones are nice (when you get to fly that is) so different and MUCH larger then the previous boring zones.

And flying just feels so gut.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
took the dive and bought the base game, any tips for a noob before i venture out into the wilds?

Choose a starting class you like, follow the main story, pick up side quests as you see them. Have fun! The game does a pretty damn good job of tutorializing, so you'll be a pro in no time.

B-Dex

I think the oddest bits are the fact materia is locked behind crafting and quests that only DoL and DoH really get told about.

And treasure maps. lvl 60. Still never done one.

grimmiq

took the dive and bought the base game, any tips for a noob before i venture out into the wilds?

Depends a lot on what job/role you think you'd enjoy..Like if you wanted to play as a Lancer/Dragoon I'd say get Lancer to 10 then switch over and level both Marauder and Pugilist to 8, which will you get 2 self-healing abilities that makes leveling a lot easier.

fedexpeon

Banned
Choose a starting class you like, follow the main story, pick up side quests as you see them. Have fun! The game does a pretty damn good job of tutorializing, so you'll be a pro in no time.

LOL...pro.
The game doesn't teach proper and BASIC skill rotation, CD, and the basic function of WASD to avoid stuff.

Pick up mainquest, pick a tank class to avoid queue time, level up in dungeons, powerlevel it to 50 by spamming roulette queue, play other class to get the benefit of the exp buff from leveled character, go to 60 on your favorite class.
More efficient if you want to rush to Heavesward contents, and play in the new expansion.

Depends a lot on what job/role you think you'd enjoy..Like if you wanted to play as a Lancer/Dragoon I'd say get Lancer to 10 then switch over and level both Marauder and Pugilist to 8, which will you get 2 self-healing abilities that makes leveling a lot easier.

Since i first thought about playing i wanted to try make an archer, i played in the beta for PS3 way back when i think i made a dragoon in that one.

LOL...pro.
The game doesn't teach proper and BASIC skill rotation, CD, and the basic function of WASD to avoid stuff.

Pick up mainquest, pick a tank class to avoid queue time, level up in dungeons, powerlevel it to 50 by spamming roulette queue, play other class to get the benefit of the exp buff from leveled character, go to 60 on your favorite class.
More efficient if you want to rush to Heavesward contents, and play in the new expansion.

DO NOT start out as a tank if you are unfamiliar or don't particularly like tanking. People picking tank to avoid queues is why there is a proliferation of ass tanks and bad players in general.

Also, the game is not supposed to teach you basic skill rotation, you're supposed to figure that out for yourself, and it's not difficult. Also, at this point there are already established templates for every job (at least up to 50) so you can always google.

grimmiq

Since i first thought about playing i wanted to try make an archer, i played in the beta for PS3 way back when i think i made a dragoon in that one.

Personally I'd get Archer to 10, then immediately level Pugilist to 8 (You'll eventually need to get it to at least 15 so you can get the Bard job) and Conjurer to 2 (Will take you no time at all) Pugilist will give you Second Wind (Instant self-heal with long-ish cooldown) and Cure (Which you won't be able to use after you go Bard, but it helps pre-30).

Rising_Hei

LOL...pro.

This is all so wrong, he should play what he likes, he can learn every rotation (and even do it better if he learns by himself) by reading description and putting this thoughts in practice. He shouldn't level a JOB he doesn't like to 50, and it's much faster to just level 1 character to 60 than doing that.

So here are my advices.

1 - Set the camera to work on legacy mode, everything is easier to avoid this way since you have more agility at all times, if you want to maxice DPS while not needing to move a lot you can just lock on the current target.

2- Macros are fine but don't use them with GDC skills if you are a DPS or tank, if you're a DPS your DPS will suck, if you are a tank your enmity generation will suck.

3 - There are two types of skill, GCD which share all a recast and skills with cooldowns that have an individual recast, usually much longer than those of GDC, the way to optimice the skill usage as tank or DPS is: GDC - CD - GDC - CD - GDC. So basically, use CDs in between on GDC skills so GDCs will always be "recaster" when avalaible, if you use more than 1 CD at once your DPS will be getting worse.

4- Let us know as what will you be playing as, certain job require certain cross skills (skills of other classes you can equip and use). Some are a true must have

5 - ROTATION TO MAXIMICE MY DPS? While it's important to have one in mind, try not to follow it blindly, some bosses behave in such manner that you will have to change the rotation on the go and many times you can't pull off the perfect one, so make a priority list of what to use instead of thinking about 1 rigid rotation

For example if you're a DRG pre expa, you'd follow this priority list
1 - Keep Heavy Thrust always on and recast it when it's as close to 0 seconds as possible.
3 - Use attack up CDs in between GDCs, save life surge for standard combo, when you have no more attack CDs use jumps
4 - Keep Dissembowel always on and recast it when it's as close to 0 seconds as possible
5 - When both are up do the standard combo, ending with Life Surge
Blood for Blood and such should be wearing off after doing all this
6 - If you can and after doing everything you have like 3-4 seconds left before heavy thrust wears off, use your DOT skill before recasting Heavy (i find it easier to do it like this because if you use it at the start of HT you're risking not ending the combo with HT on)

Every job has a "priority list" like this that you can figure it out by yourself, part of the fun of the game is doing so, and you'll end up being a better player doing it by yourself than following blindy a certain rigid rotation list and the likes.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
FINAL FANTASY XIV Hotfixes (Jun. 29, 2015)
The following issues have been addressed.
・An issue in "Thok ast Thok (Extreme)" wherein Ravana would only auto-attack under certain conditions.
・An issue in "The Bowl of Embers: Extreme" and during the Cerberus battle in "The World of Darkness" wherein the damage from certain debuffs was extremely low.
・An issue in the main quest’s level 60 instance dungeon wherein it was possible to attack helpless monsters inside the cultivation capsules.
・An issue in the main quest’s level 60 instance dungeon wherein ground-targeting actions could not be used in some locations.
・An issue in the main quest’s level 60 instance dungeon wherein monsters could not be targeted occasionally.
・An issue in the main quest’s level 60 instance dungeon wherein some of the bioculture node's actions would have no effect.
・An issue in "The Final Coil of Bahamut: Turn 3" wherein the debuff “Cloak of Death” lasts longer than intended.
・An issue in the FATE "Prey Online" wherein certain monster behaviors were incorrect.
・An issue wherein the elite mark Bune's actions were not triggering correctly.
・An issue in the main scenario quest "Fire and Blood" wherein camera control and field of view did not function correctly.
・An issue in the main scenario quest "Fire and Blood" wherein the NPC "Tataru" was not wearing the correct clothes.
・An issue wherein it was possible to accept the sidequests "The Courage of Nuts" and "Protecting the Pom" at the same time.
・An issue wherein it was possible to accept the sidequests "Who's Got the Baskets", "My Friend the Enabler", and "Back to Baskets" at the same time.
・An issue in the sidequest "Landing a Stable Job" wherein speaking to the NPC "Proving Grounds Guard" as a Disciple of the Hand or Disciple of the Land would cause the selection window popup to appear blank.
・An issue in the job quest "Original Sins" wherein NPCs from a different quest would appear on-screen.
・An issue in the job quest "The Green Death" wherein the map could not be opened occasionally from the Journal and Objectives List.
・An issue in the job quest "A Lesson in Patience" wherein text would not appear on the screen when acquiring the new action.
・An issue in the job quest “A Flare for the Dramatic” wherein unnecessary effects appear on certain characters.
・An issue wherein the warrior action "Raw Intuition" would cause the user to receive critical heals as well.
・An issue wherein bards would be temporarily unable to perform actions under certain conditions.
・An issue wherein the white mage ability "Assize" would not restore MP under certain conditions.
・An issue wherein the white mage action “Divine Seal” which affects magic only would also affect the ability “Assize”.
・An issue wherein the black mage action "Ley Lines" and machinist action "Rapid Fire" would affect the cast times for actions such as "Teleport" and "Return".
・An issue wherein the black mage action "Fire" would not trigger the "Fire III" additional effect correctly under certain conditions.
・An issue wherein the ninja action "Suiton" would grant the effect even if it misses the target.
・An issue wherein the dark knight action "Dark Arts" would apply its effect to multiple actions used in sequence.
・An issue wherein the machinist action "Wildfire" was appearing in the wrong category in the damage log.
・An issue wherein the astrologian action "Celestial Opposition" would shorten buff durations, such as "Well Fed".
・An issue wherein the astrologian action "Benefic" would not trigger the "Benefic II" additional effect correctly under certain conditions.
・An issue wherein, if a character who has unlocked Patch 3.0 Duties logs on with a platform that does not have Heavensward play rights, queuing for a Duty Roulette would cause an error.
・An issue wherein it was possible to queue for a Duty Roulette: Expert with party members that did not have Heavensward play rights.
・An issue wherein materia effects of PvP equipment introduced with Patch 3.0 were active in PvE areas.
・An issue wherein company crests could not be added to certain gear introduced in Patch 3.0
・An issue wherein the Sightseeing Log would only display Patch 3.0 areas under certain conditions.
・An issue wherein the quest levels displayed in The Unending Journey were incorrect for certain dragoon job quests.
・An issue wherein the flames effect from "Thok ast Thok" would appear upon moving into a housing area.
・An issue wherein sorting by "Auto-attack" on the Market Board would cause items to be sorted alphabetically.
・An issue wherein players were unable to discard the item "Sable Death Mask" if it was purchased from the NPC "Calamity Salvager”.
・An issue wherein text commands for the following actions were not recognized correctly:
JP version: Painflare
EN version: Ricochet / Scourge / Ascend / Painflare / Prune
FR version: Reassemble / Ricochet
DE version: Leg Graze / Time Dilation / Stone III / Fell Cleave
・An issue wherein certain text was incorrect.
・An issue wherein exiting the game in DirectX 11 mode in certain environments would cause an error. (Windows only)
・An issue in DirectX 11 wherein repeatedly pressing the "PrintScreen" button during Full Screen Mode could cause the controls to freeze. (Windows only)
*Due to the basic fix to address this issue in the Jun. 25, 2015 hotfix, the "PrintScreen" key could not be used on other software previously, but this current hotfix now makes it possible.
・An issue wherein pressing Alt + Enter in chat entry would cause the screen to black out and prevent you from playing the game.
・An issue wherein, if you change areas while you are typing text in the macro text edit field, the text remains on the screen. (Mac only)
・An issue wherein clicking the macro text edit field would prevent mouse clicks from being recognized. (Mac only)
・An issue wherein users were unable to move the typing carat in the macro text edit field via mouse click. (Mac only)
・An issue wherein changing the screen resolution with the mouse would cause the cursor to not appear in the correct position. (Mac only)
・An issue wherein attempting to change the screen resolution by selecting the same resolution as before would not cause the confirmation message to appear. (Mac only)
Link

-An issue wherein the astrologian action "Benefic" would not trigger the "Benefic II" additional effect correctly under certain conditions.

Guess they noticed and fixed something I wasn't seeing. Awesome.

Sadness about not being able to crit heal WARs just by standing behind them though.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Did they pop the LB or no? People still seem to be afraid of using their LBs when actually necessary for some reason

I think people are afraid of using them too early, but if it's the burn phase, then uh...it doesn't matter when you use it?

・An issue wherein the warrior action "Raw Intuition" would cause the user to receive critical heals as well.

Dammit, that was really cool, though!

No. I'm gonna go ahead and assume you used Gmail. When playing the trial, I tried 3 different ones and it never arrived. Ended up using a new Yahoo account and it arrived instantly.

Yeah apparently if you have "." in the middle of your email the confirmation system breaks, had to use a throwaway account :/

It's updating now so I'll be in game shortly, its a lot to take in but that's one of the joys of starting a new mmo.

IMBored

Some things in the jp patch notes:

Coerthan Tea Leaves, Dravanian Mistletoe, Abalathian Rock Salt and Abalathian Mistletoe can now be purchased from an NPC at (7,10) in The Pillars.
Ixali turnins have received the same post 50 nerf that under level 50 leves did.

Some things in the jp patch notes:

Coerthan Tea Leaves, Dravanian Mistletoe, Abalathian Rock Salt and Abalathian Mistletoe can now be purchased from an NPC at (7,10) in The Pillars.
Ixali turnins have received the same post 50 nerf that under level 50 leves did.

Booo could have used that earlier.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Yeah apparently if you have "." in the middle of your email the confirmation system breaks, had to use a throwaway account :/

It's updating now so I'll be in game shortly, its a lot to take in but that's one of the joys of starting a new mmo.
You realize that with gmail you can add and remove "." before the @ as you wish and it's still treated like your address, right? :p

IMBored

Booo could have used that earlier.

Lol, I was still using the ixli quests ;_;
The items are because they're needed for craft but come from unspoiled collectable nodes I think.

I just noticed that Feint having no cast in WM is not listed as fixed. Either it's working as intended or they are throwing BRDs a bone before they buff the class. I hope.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Reached level 55 and did the aether attunement part for churning mists. Used the compass this time instead of a guide and it went pretty smooth lol.

Story spoiler.
I felt really bad for Hraegeslvr and Nidhogg.;_;

Ayumi

Registering with SE and setting up FFXIV is a huge pain in the ass, lol.

You realize that with gmail you can add and remove "." before the @ as you wish and it's still treated like your address, right? :p
Besides, it most likely doesn't matter since all of mine had letters only but never worked.

Moaradin

Looking forward to leveling my Dark Knight a bit more later today. Played a little bit yesterday and I'm really digging the class.

Tash

Dammit, that was really cool, though!

Never started to do it so I wouldn't get used to the higher healing numbers in the first place.
The other day, though, a tank asked me in DF how comfortable I was with big pulls (Library) if I knew about Raw Intuition and I said well I guess we find out and yes, I was. So he was: "Wow, you're the first SCH that knows about this".

Still glad I didn't get comfortable with using that bug (also - he had a macro: "Raw Intuition active - heal me sidewise Kyomi-Senpai!" - made me chuckle every time he used it.

For the record, speed running library with big groups and a Bard and Monk in the group was stressful to say the least :p

Tiops

Got my DRK to 50 yesterday :D , loving the class. And Dark Arts is really great, just need to learn to manage my MP better. I'm actually never running out of MP, but I focus so much on it that I forgot to look at other stuff sometimes (like enemies chasing the healer and other minor things).

I saw people complaining on reddit about the double DA thing being nerfed, and how the job is now really behind WAR and PLD and how life sucks. Is that true or just people crying because of the nerf?

That sounds more interesting than what we get with the non-MSQ quests here. Sometimes the lore interests me, but for quite a few quests what they do just isn't interesting enough.

I think it would indeed be better if they had more chains that progress instead of having to do a whole bunch of one off quests.

Yeah, WoW improved tremendously when they realized people for the most part don't want to read their story in quest prompts, and instead moved towards more quests that involve the story happening during the quest itself, especially the ones that do neat phasing stuff and leave behind a tangible change in the world (like opening up a new hub/town area).

Kenai

Woohoo i can use TD without worry now (probably)

Can't believe I have these old ass screenshots. How far the game has come...

That Miquote has seen some sh*t

Yeah, WoW improved tremendously when they realized people for the most part don't want to read their story in quest prompts, and instead moved towards more quests that involve the story happening during the quest itself, especially the ones that do neat phasing stuff and leave behind a tangible change in the world (like opening up a new hub/town area).

I did really enjoy this in WoD. SE is pretty bad about instancing stuff like that though (serious jab at PS3 here i think) and will likely have to figure something out going forward that suits them better. Their MSQ is good but they hide the lack of change in the world a lot by having a lot of important stuff happening in areas that are not normally accessible (like how most MSQ NPCs do not have a static location)

Semper88

Got my DRK to 50 yesterday :D , loving the class. And Dark Arts is really great, just need to learn to manage my MP better. I'm actually never running out of MP, but I focus so much on it that I forgot to look at other stuff sometimes (like enemies chasing the healer and other minor things).

I saw people complaining on reddit about the double DA thing being nerfed, and how the job is now really behind WAR and PLD and how life sucks. Is that true or just people crying because of the nerf?

DRK is behind, their mitigation is a bit off. Not really noticeable during dungeons but it will be during raids (savage raids that is).

Nohar

I'm in love with the OST of Heavensward. Be it Ishgard, the new music playing during some storyline quests, The Vault (and its final boss theme), one remix I certainly didn't expect and which is just awesome
(Matoya's Cave)
, the new primals themes and the last area of the game... I love them all, and I can't wait to do finish the story (leveled up 60 yesterday, but really needed to go to bed).

OsirisBlack

Banned
Thats the life of everyone who plays this game solo using duty finder. Things will take a long time to get cleared or never.

There is no such word as never for me good sir.

Did they pop the LB or no? People still seem to be afraid of using their LBs when actually necessary for some reason

To be honest a limit break would not have helped them at all the serpent was still at 60% health when we got blasted just a really crappy group for dps.

Only to break DA apparently
Good thing I don't use Abysal Drain to much, but I used DP on larger pulls for the AoE Blind if Blood Price is down.

That is a huge fuck up and a serious nerf to DRK in dungeons.

IvorB

Bought the FFXIV bundle w/ Heavensward and used a friend code already. Writing it here since I've been getting random PMs with recruitment codes. Sorry! (´._.`)

He he. It's funny to see the Twintania mount cause the deterioration of honest gamers into RMT-like spammers. We have become what we despise.

finally getting a better grip at new blm now... pretty hard :<

It's a significant step up in complexity from the previous which is just great.

Top Bottom