• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Arkeband

Banned
I'm in love with the OST of Heavensward. Be it Ishgard, the new music playing during some storyline quests, The Vault (and its final boss theme), one remix I certainly didn't expect and which is just awesome
(Matoya's Cave)
, the new primals themes and the last area of the game... I love them all, and I can't wait to do finish the story (leveled up 60 yesterday, but really needed to go to bed).

The OST is hit or miss for me - some of the music is fun, but most or all of it sounds like the actual music files being used are super compressed. Basically they just sound like fake instruments when the ARR OST usually had pretty good synth when real instruments weren't being used (which I assume is pretty much never)

barit

Damn this game is awesome. I'm now on the last map and the cutscene to it was nothing short of epic as always. And this music. I still can't get over how freaking awesome the soundtrack is sometimes. Really captures the mud every time. From sadness, to epic final battles, to silly jokes. I love that shit.

IvorB

The OST is hit or miss for me - some of the music is fun, but most or all of it sounds like the actual music files being used are super compressed. Basically they just sound like fake instruments when the ARR OST usually had pretty good synth when real instruments weren't being used (which I assume is pretty much never)

Really? Which tracks in particular? I've been really impressed with the production on the OST; it sounds amazing. Maybe it's your setup...

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Speaking of OST I hope they release one soon with all of the 3.0 Music AND all of the music that the ARR OST doesn't have from 2.2-2.5

Pancho

Qurupancho
I think you need better speakers, sounds amazing on my end.

Caj814

Any room available for a reinvite to the Ultros FC? I just renewed my account after being away for over a year and got a lot of catching up to do.

JP1AcNb.png

*salute*

It was fun while it lasted. I'll never forget you.

I just beat
Nidhogg
and hit lvl 56. I'm kinda tired with all the horrible side quest, luckily the main quests are awesome. Should I bother with them ? I know that I need to do some of them for the flying ability but it's slowly breaking me x)

I want to hit lvl 60 fast :/

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I just beat
Nidhogg
and hit lvl 56. I'm kinda tired with all the horrible side quest, luckily the main quests are awesome. Should I bother with them ? I know that I need to do some of them for the flying ability but it's slowly breaking me x)

Even if you were to do all available SQs you would be in the same position I was where the MQs and SQs don't provide enough EXP to get you to Lv.60 (Your left at Lv.58 or so) and will have to do some grinding if you want to advance in the Main Quest Line.

Tylyn

Neo Member
I just beat
Nidhogg

I mainly just chain ran Dungeons (being Astro) and if I had a couple of bad runs in a row or so I''d just do some sidequests for half an hour or so, do em inbetween queues

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I just beat
Nidhogg

If you don't want to hit all the SQ, just hit the questlines you need for currents so you can fly. However, you won't get the XP needed for 60 unless you using your Duty Roulettes every day or hit up some dungeons for extra xp.

It's like people forgot the DR exists while they are doing the story or something... =P

hank_tree

Even if you were to do all available SQs you would be in the same position I was where the MQs and SQs don't provide enough EXP to get you to Lv.60 (Your left at Lv.58 or so) and will have to do some grinding if you want to advance in the Main Quest Line.

I did very few side quests and I hit 60 last week. Have kept most for my second job.

Just do some daily high level roulettes etc. while you do the story and you can skip most of the side quests.

Guys. This expansion is really good so far. I mean, I'm not that far in, but goddamn the new areas are gorgeous and the story is really good.

Xion_Stellar

I did very few side quests and I hit 60 last week. Have kept most for my second job.

Just do some daily high level roulettes etc. while you do the story and you can skip most of the side quests.
Well I counted anything outside of doing SQs and MQs as grinding so of course if anyone is truthfully on a rush to get to Lv.60 than of course doing dungeon runs would alleviate the need to do SQs.

Unless you have OCD like me in games and will refuse to advance in the story without clearing the map of SQs.

Well I counted anything outside of doing SQs and MQs as grinding so of course if anyone is truthfully on a rush to get to Lv.60 than of course doing dungeon runs would alleviate the need to do SQs.

Unless you have OCD like me in games and will refuse to advance in the story without clearing the map of SQs.

I have not done a single side quest (except random essential stuff) in ARR. Every map is !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. For HW it's just the current quests. Side quests should be banned from mmos, the system is too antiquated.

iammeiam

・An issue wherein the black mage action "Ley Lines" and machinist action "Rapid Fire" would affect the cast times for actions such as "Teleport" and "Return".

That was fun while it existed. Nerf for stance-dancing machinists (no more cheering the GB cast), and most likely death of mount roulette fun.

So should I stop leveling bard and switch back to PLD? All the negativity is starting to worry me.

Play what you have fun playing unless your enjoyment is based on other people liking what you like. I think current endgame Bard is pretty much a half-assed disaster, but some people don't mind and others just ignore the dumb bits. If you're having fun keep doing it, if not stop and do something else.

Xion_Stellar

So should I stop leveling bard and switch back to PLD? All the negativity is starting to worry me.
The Balance is not broken per say I mean if you were satisfied with the Bard before the Expansion dropped than just keep using the Bard.

Look at it this way the Bard didn't suddenly become bad because of the expansion it's just that Wanderer's Minuet currently gives no significant or substantial benefit to use right now until Square-Enix changes things.So if you were to pretend that this nonsense with Wanderer's Minuet didn't exist your still left with the Bard you loved before the Expansion dropped that learns one support song at Lv.58.

Reknoc

speaking of classes people don't like; MCH could do like, 0dps and it'd still be worth leveling it up for Joye alone. Best character in the expansion.

IMBored

The Balance is not broken per say I mean if you were satisfied with the Bard before the Expansion dropped than just keep using the Bard.

Look at it this way the Bard didn't suddenly become bad because of the expansion it's just that Wanderer's Minuet currently gives no significant or substantial benefit to use right now until Square-Enix changes things.So if you were to pretend that this nonsense with Wanderer's Minuet didn't exist your still left with the Bard you loved before the Expansion dropped that learns one support song at Lv.58.

While that's somewhat correct, if every other class got better when one class stayed equal, in reality that class got worse. But in reality, every class got different levels of buffs. It's just that brd buff was just sidewinder.

aceface

It's in Japanese but YoshiP has heard the cries of Bards!

Reddit sez:
Wanderer's Minuet:
Development team is aware of the following:
Generally, DPS is larger when not under Minuet.
Bards' specialty of "Ability to attack while moving" is impacted when under Minuet, hard to see benefits of being in Minuet.
Unwieldy to change stances.
Due to the degree to which the above points are felt by the community, especially the first point (Less damage in Minuet), the development team is looking into changes.
They're looking to change the effect (but not increase damage too much), make it easier to switch between stances, and reduce the difficulty and general clunkiness with the current Bard.
Warden's Paean:
Generally treated as hard to use/low value, development team is looking into it.
Bloodletter Bug:
Fixed in hotfix.
Also a bit about waiting for player feedback from Alexander before committing any further changes

Valor

Although this may be the minority opinion, I kind of agree with waiting to see Alexander feedback before making changes. I mean, if that's what you should be designing classes to be able to handle, that's what you need to expose the player base to before knowing exactly which steps to take.

I would have rather them to have made tweaks before Alexander and then smooth out the edges afterwards, but I guess it's also good to have a wait and see approach at times.

iammeiam

The fixation on Mineuet DPS is sort of worrying; the clunkiness is the much larger concern and where I hope they're spending the bulk of their time. Penalties for catching Straighter Shot procs too soon and Repelling interrupting whatever you queue after it are just fundamental "this was badly designed" things. EA basically being a GCD not in the GCD is silly.

DPS tweaks can come whenever (and need to be lobbed at MCH, too, as it's more of a ranged DPS issue than BRD-specific), but fundamentally flawed flow (and I maintain Minuet Bard isn't hard, just annoying. MCH is way more involved for roughly the same damage, but it feel better because it actually mostly works) and Paean being useless (although I will totally use it in the next no-healer two man Titan HM) are the "how did this make it into a retail product" issues.

Sorian

Banned
I've not been using it In Ravana Extreme. Dungeons or whatever it's fine in but insert any constant AOE or positional movement and it's screwed.

I'm not well versed on this skill so forgive my ignorance but don't BLM deal with this all the time with no issue? Though I will give you that on Ravana, specifically, there is a positional requirement that BLMs ignore but there are plenty of other fights in the game where BLM has to worry about moving and dpsing all the same.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I'm not well versed on this skill so forgive my ignorance but don't BLM deal with this all the time with no issue? Though I will give you that on Ravana, specifically, there is a positional requirement that BLMs ignore but there are plenty of other fights in the game where BLM has to worry about moving and dpsing all the same.
Like Angary said, it's extremely clunky for Bard to the point that we're pushing more DPS without it in that fight.

iammeiam

BLM has some stuff designed to deal with movement you can plan for. Bard can't use Sprint, has no Swiftcast, has a grand total of one (unreliable and semi-broken) proc that allows for instant cast and doesn't proc that often, has no native Scathe equivalent, no manaward/manawall/whatever. Bard in Minuet has no movement toolkit. This is the area MCH pulls ahead--rapid fire and ammo system lets you kind of bank instant movement in theory.

If they could make a good PvP system in this game I would love it.

I'm probably in the minority here, but a zone with PvP would be awesome, completely optional, but gives incentive to go there.

Specific zone pvp hardly ever works - WoW is the prime example. You need endless content and activities in there otherwise people just don't go. What this game needs is new modes, capture the flag etc. Still, our pvp linkshell is getting ready with Den/Frontlines groups once the next big patch hits. Gotta see that new map.

Tabris

Well WAR being nerfed a bit is nice. I'll still finish WAR to 60 and get DRK up to 60 too for options, but with that crit bug, I was planning to roll WAR MT into progression. Now it's back to wait and see.

Valor

The main difference is that from their core inception, BLM have been turrets. Bards haven't been. The class was designed around being mobile. Repelling Shot is just one example of that. Adding cast times in to skills has changed up a lot of what bard can do. Cancelling your next attack after using an oGCD is annoying.

Not being able to fit two oGCDs in between your GCDs is annoying. Empyreal Arrow being indie GCD is annoying.

Funny enough, moving is the easiest part of the New Coke Bard since the movement/cast times are rather lenient. However, BRD is missing a way to move while dpsing, like a Scathe. So if there are large moments of running, you can't ABC as Bard without Feint. You can use Blunt Arrow, Bloodletter, or a Straighter Shot proc, but that's all. Saving Straighter Shot procs for moving is pretty shitty. Even BLM can force a proc now with Sharpcast. Machinist has Reload/Quick Reload to force procs to allow movement. Bard has none of that and it makes the most mobile ranged class into the absolute least.

There are a few easy fixes to make bard feel better. The feel is definitely off, but I think the concept of the new bard is fucking great. I still have fun with it and really like playing it, but the results are so shitty I don't even feel fully comfortable bringing it into Alexander.

Azzurri

Specific zone pvp hardly ever works - WoW is the prime example. You need endless content and activities in there otherwise people just don't go. What this game needs is new modes, capture the flag etc. Still, our pvp linkshell is getting ready with Den/Frontlines groups once the next big patch hits. Gotta see that new map.

It's because they make open world PvP zones trivial compared to instanced PvP. When you don't incentivize zone or ow pvp no one does it, but I guess being a theme park mmo I'm barking up the wrong tree.

Top Bottom