• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Sorian

Banned
While it is a departure from old BRD gameplay (which I don't really care about, expacs can always bring big changes to a class), it's looking to me like you guys need a scathe equivalent and an extra defense mitigation cd then, just my opinion on it. Thanks for the answers.

iammeiam

I *do* think if their long term plan is to keep the movement restrictions on the ranged DPS classes, they need to suck it up and give us grown-up weapon damage values already. Baking DPS inferiority into the weapons is a lot less tolerable when there's no freedom of movement bonus.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I hope they fix Dragoons too. Their new random positioning is fucking dumb and unrealistic to use on anything that isn't a target dummy. I get the feeling all the class testing was done on target dummies and not actual fights..

I can use it in Ravana somewhat successfully (even with all of its directional parries and lots of movement). It's really not that big of a deal. You just have to hang around the diagonal separating back from the flank and take one step accordingly when needed.

I fear more for Litany. They'll surely nuke it eventually.

Jolkien

Well WAR being nerfed a bit is nice. I'll still finish WAR to 60 and get DRK up to 60 too for options, but with that crit bug, I was planning to roll WAR MT into progression. Now it's back to wait and see.

You really planned main tanking with a bugged skill ? It was obviously getting fixed fast. It was way too strong with a scholar.

IMBored

Activate WM, you do 10% less damage. Stand still for 3s, you get a buff, while immobile you get 10% dmg increase and access to EA and IJ. Cast time only for those.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I hope they fix Dragoons too. Their new random positioning is fucking dumb and unrealistic to use on anything that isn't a target dummy. I get the feeling all the class testing was done on target dummies and not actual fights..

They should've made Wheeling Thrust for Chaos and Fang for Full. They messed up with the randomization.

iammeiam

Activate WM, you do 10% less damage. Stand still for 3s, you get a buff, while immobile you get 10% dmg increase and access to EA and IJ. Cast time only for those.

Meh, I'd make WM something like a 20 second buff on 90-second cool down that imposes the current restrictions but gives you like... 30% extra damage (random number, I don't theorycraft enough to know for sure what boost it should be) for the duration, and an additional 20-30% bonus to EA, Sidewinder, and Iron Jaw'd DoTs. Keep the cast time to put it up, even, just make it more of a strategic choice for when to use it and make it pull obviously ahead in damage. Everything works in and out of Minuet. Something like that.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Please look forward to buffing WM to the point where Bards are forced to use it and nothing else. Because SE.
Yeah I mentioned this possibility 18 pages ago and I'm disappointed it sounds like their taking the easy way out of this dilemma..

There are 2 main issues I have with Wanderer's Minuet:

1-The forced style change to play like a Black Mage is the worst thing. Yeah Bards were the only one who can move while attacking at the same time but that wasn't a bad things as that was 1 thing that set them apart from the rest of the Classes. If I wanted to play like I Black Mage I would play a Black Mage and unfortunately Machinist also suffers this with Gauss Barrel.

2.You said it yourself the Bard class simply wasn't made to play like a Black Mage and adding cast time to it's actions throws off the flow of a Bard and how their skills activate (First one that comes to mind is Heavy Shot taking longer to shoot means your less likely to activate a Critical Hit with Straight Shot).

And honestly I don't think I want Square-Enix to try and "fix" the Bard anymore because so far Square-Enix's definition of "fixing" the Bard is simply giving it more Nerfs:

-Bard stats got slashed across the whole board once already
-Blood for Blood got nerfed from a 25% Damage increase to 10%
-Barrage got nerfed/changed in order to force the same effect Barrage had unto Wanderer's Minuet

And already the Theorycrafters are saying that Wanderer's Minuet offers little to no DPS increase because adding a cast time to a Bard doesn't work correctly on how Bard Skills activate to begin with. So honestly the only way Square-Enix can "fix" the Bard is either by:

A-They drop the cast time shenanigans with Wanderer's Minuet

B- Completely rework the Bard Skills so they can work more effectively with the Cast Time added by Wanderer's Minuet.

C- They simply nerf the Bard class again and buff Wanderer's Minuet in order to make the gains of Wanderer's Minuet seem substantial while also forcing on us this style change on how the Bard plays if we want to be "optimal" again.

And my fear is that they will go with the Nerfs again.

As for anyone who don't get what I mean by style change than let's have Square-Enix add a Cast Time to every action on every DPS class and lets see how well that would flies with anyone considering that's not how the Class has been played for 2 years now.

Valnen

Fix the best DPS in the game, I'm sure that is priority number 1.

It's made the job much less fun for a friend of mine. Who cares if your numbers are big if the mechanics simply aren't fun? I think they really messed up on job design in Heavensward.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
All these Bard issues makes you wonder just how they came to the conclusion WM was a good idea. It's a complete 180.

Sorian

Banned
It's made the job much less fun for a friend of mine. Who cares if your numbers are big if the mechanics simply aren't fun? I think they really messed up on job design in Heavensward.

I'd argue that all of Heavensward is a big cluster of people not liking change. A lot of sentiment I've been seeing makes it seem like people just wanted their class to play the same with maybe an extra flashy skill or two and bigger numbers at level 60. I'm happy, everyone has a new mechanic they need to learn around and most of them involve thought or reaction (Monk being the one I'm not so sure of, I don't feel like meditation was much of a game changer from what I've seen).

AgeEighty

They sure didn't mess up on MNK design; it's a lot more fun now with more utility. I feel empty inside when I have to do low level roulette and lose my new skills.

I'm happy, everyone has a new mechanic they need to learn around and most of them involve thought or reaction (Monk being the one I'm not so sure of, I don't feel like meditation was much of a game changer from what I've seen).

Meditation no; form change yes. And Elixir Field is amazing.

Serick

Married Member

And my friend loves the Dragoon changes (he hit 60 before all of us). Funny how anecdotal evidence works.

Saying they really messed up on job design is pure hyperbole. There are plenty of classes/people who love the new HW abilities and the dev team is acknowledging the clunky-ness of bards.

Valnen

I'd argue that all of Heavensward is a big cluster of people not liking change. A lot of sentiment I've been seeing makes it seem like people just wanted their class to play the same with maybe an extra flashy skill or two and bigger numbers at level 60. I'm happy, everyone has a new mechanic they need to learn around and most of them involve thought or reaction (Monk being the one I'm not so sure of, I don't feel like meditation was much of a game changer from what I've seen).

I'm not a fan of introducing complexity just for the sake of having complexity. The fact that two of the new dragoon skills do the exact same damage and have the exact same function, just in two different positions, is an embarrassment.

Sorian

Banned
Meditation no; form change yes. And Elixir Field is amazing.

I probably need to study up more on monk before I comment more on them, honestly.

I'm not a fan of introducing complexity just for the sake of having complexity. The fact that two of the new dragoon skills do the exact same damage and have the exact same function, just in two different positions, is an embarrassment.

"Embarrassment"

Dat hyperbole, I'm sorry the game is forcing dragoons to think for a second. Strict rotations suck, playing a class at top tier should involve thought not memorization.

Valnen

"Embarrassment"

Dat hyperbole, I'm sorry the game is forcing dragoons to think for a second. Strict rotations suck, playing a class at top tier should involve thought not memorization.

There's not much thought involved in randomized attacks. It's just an annoyance.

kayos90

I probably need to study up more on monk before I comment more on them, honestly.

"Embarrassment"

Random procs suck. The fact that we're not going to know we get Fang or Wheeling after a 3rd skill is absolute crap especially when they do the exact same thing. It's not a matter of strict rotations. It's a matter of unnecessary complexity added in.

Razzorn34

I'm not a fan of introducing complexity just for the sake of having complexity.

You might not be, but I'm definitely not alone in thinking the job was pretty damn boring and static compared to other DPS. This is a good play by SE to make the job more interactive. I'm sure this is going to turn off all of the people who only played the job since you could somewhat get away with just standing and slapping a rotation.

kayos90

It's certainly a step up from 1-2-3-1-2-4-1-2-3.

No it's not. Pre-Wheeling Thrust, I thought the combo was pretty awesome. It added a few more ways to manage your skills and chain crap. Now that I got Wheeling Thrust, it just feels annoying junggling my position just so I can get the 290 potency off instead of the shitty 100.

scy

"Embarrassment"

Forcing them to think for a second isn't a bad thing but it's a weird choice to make it be for no gain outside of "well, we wanted the rotation to be slightly dynamic every now and then."

Put another way, it's weird they're two separate level skills as opposed to getting both at once.

Sorian

Banned
Who defines what unnecessary complexity is? Can I just start saying fight mechanics are unnecessarily complex? Titan's landslide is meant to kill you by knocking you off the arena, why does it need to do damage too, that's unnecessary.

That sounded silly to type.

Zalasta

Well, at 57 my concerns about BRD is that all of the new abilities so far is specific to WM only, so if I don't want to use WM, I basically have nothing new to show for. Also, changing barrage and taking away the AOE proc really sucks.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like

Honestly as far as the Bard goes I would gladly trade Empyreal Arrow and Wanderer's Minuet for just another song and call it a day because for a Bard Class we have a paltry amount of songs we can sing and the franchise has access to a long list of songs a Bard can sing:

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Sing_(Command)

I would love it if they add a song that casts Haste on the whole party.

IvorB

I thought dragoons were happy with the changes. It's difficult to keep up with who's happy and who is not. Except Bard of course...

iammeiam

Well, at 57 my concerns about BRD is that all of the new abilities so far is specific to WM only, so if I don't want to use WM, I basically have nothing new to show for. Also, changing barrage and taking away the AOE proc really sucks.

Nooooo, the AOE change is fantastic. Unless you had 7000 TP handy, there was essentially no encounter in the game where Wide Volley proc fishing was the best damage return on TP for AOE. Quick Nock always was king, Wide Volley was situational or if I was being super lazy. I actually use RoD now; pre-expansion it was on my list of buttons I could probably drop to free up skill space.

Sidewinder works out of Minuet, so you'll have that eventually, as does Paean (ololololol); I do think every Bard opener should involve Minuet and a fully buffed and Barrage'd Empyreal Arrow even if you never touch Minuet again during the fight because there's no way that specific opener isn't a massive DPS gain even if you have to push a GCD or two for movement.

scy

I thought dragoons were happy with the changes. It's difficult to keep up with who's happy and who is not. Except Bard of course...

They are (or, at least, they should be). It's really just a random bit of RNG added to them for no reason besides "well, RNG." In the grand scheme of things it's a non-issue entirely though.

Nooooo, the AOE change is fantastic.

All I'm really getting out of the Rain of Death change is that everybody was really awful at Bard AoE.

Honestly as far as the Bard goes I would gladly trade Empyreal Arrow and Wanderer's Minuet for just another song and call it a day because for a Bard Class we have a paltry amount of songs we can sing and the franchise has access to a long list of songs a Bard can sing:

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Sing_(Command)

I would love it if they add a song that casts Haste on the whole party.
If there ever is a partywide haste skill I believe AST would be the one to get it.

Thoraxes

The OST is hit or miss for me - some of the music is fun, but most or all of it sounds like the actual music files being used are super compressed. Basically they just sound like fake instruments when the ARR OST usually had pretty good synth when real instruments weren't being used (which I assume is pretty much never)

I actually feel the opposite. It was way more noticeable with ARR for me, and I feel like Heavensward is a marked improvement in patch quality overall (not to mention Soken's XIV-style maturing with the series).

Fehyd

Banned

I remember raiding in 2.0 when people wouldn't take dragoons because of their terrible dps.

The rotation is fine, it just takes practice.

I'd much rather be a tougher job to master than a laughing stock like they were pre-buff in ARR. Heck they had even more positionals then.

Zalasta

BRD aoe was never really used (for me at least) outside of quick dungeon runs and solo treasure hunts. So my feeling is unless you're going to improve on the abilities to make them less situational, why change them?

As for WM, if it's offered to me as an option rather than as a rule on how I must play BRD from now on, I just would rather they gave us other utilities that we can use without WM.

Also, I've always wondered why we never have songs that are useful for soloing.

Rising_Hei

I actually feel the opposite. It was way more noticeable with ARR for me, and I feel like Heavensward is a marked improvement in patch quality overall (not to mention Soken maturing with the series).
Only that heavensward is not a patch but an expansion.

As for the OST, i feel like they use the main theme WAY too much and that old themes are reused too much

We don't get 8 man dungeons like in ARR 1.0 either... which were fun and refreshing

Thoraxes

Only that heavensward is not a patch but an expansion.

As for the OST, i feel like they use the main theme WAY too much and that old themes are reused too much

We don't get 8 man dungeons like in ARR 1.0 either... which were fun and refreshing

I'm talking about patches in terms of "sound patches", a technical term for how sounds are sampled and used in a digital audio workstation environment that composers use when creating music with computers.

I know Heavensward is an expansion :p

1-The forced style change to play like a Black Mage is the worst thing. Yeah Bards were the only one who can move while attacking at the same time but that wasn't a bad things as that was 1 thing that set them apart from the rest of the Classes. If I wanted to play like I Black Mage I would play a Black Mage and unfortunately Machinist also suffers this with Gauss Barrel.

Machinist's Gauss Barrel may sound like BRD's WM but its application and play style are totally different because MCH has Rapid Fire and procs to avoid casting.

Serick

Married Member

The 8 mans were typically full of people bitching at 1-2 people for watching cutscenes and either leaving them behind or waiting for them to finish. They were poorly thought out to begin with.

The fact that there are no 8 man main scenario dungeons was intentional and I'm very happy to see all of the story cut-scenes take place after the primals or during solo story play. Now everyone can go at the pace they set for themselves. There are quite a few cut-scenes leading up to the last zone that are very reminiscent of CM/PR and I was happy I didn't have 6+ other people trying to speed run waiting on me.

Pancho

Qurupancho
Many complaints about HS are warranted (like the bard thing) but others are just people whining because things are not like they were. I like the changes. Makes the game feel a bit more refreshing adjusting to the changes.

iammeiam

The Bard AOE change does make things less situational. There was never a reason to use RoD without a proc before (after the RoD Nerf), and the only way to get a proc was to use Wide Volley, and if you were using Wide Volley you were Bard AOEing sub-optimally. Which a lot of people did because it didn't really matter and procs are fun ( or tanks couldn't group shit up). If you were doing the default best Bard AOE (the super intense QN-> QN->QN while locked on and running in circles because why not), you'd literally never touch RoD. Now you Bloodletter on single-target, RoD on two or more, and single target or AOE rotation as appropriate. RoD went from being a wasted slot to being something you'll use pretty frequently as most content will have some point where you have two or more enemies up at once.

Paean's best use may actually be solo content. It's a slow pre-Esuna that you'll pretty much never use in content with an actual healer, but could be useful if you're doing stuff without one.

The main issue I have with dragoon rotation is hella nerf to potency the new moves get if the boss turns. This makes it kinda annoying especially in the new dungeons where the bosses rotate so much that i feel its not even worth using at times. I also wish phlebotomize and HT werent combo breakers anymore :(. Im actually probably more annoyed by the latter than I am the former but it just comes down to learning the rotation. I'm so used to OG dragoon that positionals are w/e to me and I still try to do impulse drive from the back due to habit.

Ayumi

Just bought the game and haven't played for more than a couple of hours today, but wow, I am really enjoying this. I've been very bored lately and haven't been able to find a game to entertain me since I quit Diablo 3, and FFXIV is doing more than enough to fill the empty gaming space inside me!

I guess I gotta say good bye to real life and hello to Eorzea. ┐('~`;)┌

Stuart444

The random procs for DRG is fine imo. After getting used to it once I got both skills, it was fine. Doesn't really need changed imo.

Like someone else said though, I fear for Battle Litany :(.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Despite being a 54 BRD, I still haven't wrapped up the 2.XX content to enter HW yet, so I have no idea what Minuet does beyond the fact people hate it.

I am highly skeptical with the vocal shitstorm surrounding the change as I do feel BRD could really use a shakeup. Maybe I'll also find Minuet to be a poor implementation when I earn it, but the whining sounds a bit too ridiculous...

Top Bottom