• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

iammeiam

Is there some kind of setup requirement for Battle Litany? It seems to get used fairly late into the opening of the battle which made taking full advantage of crit for DoTs tougher.

Despite being a 54 BRD, I still haven't wrapped up the 2.XX content to enter HW yet, so I have no idea what Minuet does beyond the fact people hate it.

I am highly skeptical with the vocal shitstorm surrounding the change as I do feel BRD could really use a shakeup. Maybe I'll also find Minuet to be a poor implementation when I earn it, but the whining sounds a bit too ridiculous...

I 100% believe it's impossible to play Machinist at 52 and Bard at 52 with their respective BLM stances and not walk away with the impression that Bard is fundamentally badly implemented. I wasn't a fan of Minuet to start, but 52 Machinist killed Bard for me because it's the exact same thing only not half-assed. I've done almost everything in Heavensward endgame on both jobs now, and the biggest blow to Minuet is the existence of Gauss Barrel making it obvious it's possible to implement something like that without the massive jank.

I'm talking about patches in terms of "sound patches", a technical term for how sounds are sampled and used in a digital audio workstation environment that composers use when creating music with computers.

I agree with you, the music in the expansion is a lot more mature in its writing and sounds a lot better with the patches they're using. Also the Western Coerthas day music is a live recording, yay!

Overall the music in Heavensward is a huge step in the right direction, and one of my favorite Final Fantasy soundtracks now.

_woLf

Hah, and some people in FC chat thought they wouldn't address WM. Sounds like the Japanese XIV community is just as pissed about it as we are so I think it'll get changed significantly. Problem is I don't see it happening until like September at the earliest. :( I wonder what made them think that BRD players would embrace the radical change.

Glad they fixed the stupid Bloodletter bug though.

Arkeband

Banned
Is there some kind of setup requirement for Battle Litany? It seems to get used fairly late into the opening of the battle which made taking full advantage of crit for DoTs tougher.

It's just a 180 second cooldown.

Which is fun because they still haven't figured out a way to reset cooldowns on party wipes, so it's often not up for the start of combat.

Serick

Married Member
Hah, and some people in FC chat thought they wouldn't address WM. Sounds like the Japanese XIV community is just as pissed about it as we are so I think it'll get changed significantly. Problem is I don't see it happening until like September at the earliest. :(

I'm not sure why Square has this reputation of not listening to the player-base when it comes to issues like bard jank. In my opinion they've always been one of the better developers with QoL requests compared to the other MMO's I've played (WoW included).

docbon

It's just a 180 second cooldown.

Which is fun because they still haven't figured out a way to reset cooldowns on party wipes, so it's often not up for the start of combat.

such an advanced feature takes time to develop.

expect it to be rolled out during the release of 4.0.

I 100% believe it's impossible to play Machinist at 52 and Bard at 52 with their respective BLM stances and not walk away with the impression that Bard is fundamentally badly implemented. I wasn't a fan of Minuet to start, but 52 Machinist killed Bard for me because it's the exact same thing only not half-assed. I've done almost everything in Heavensward endgame on both jobs now, and the biggest blow to Minuet is the existence of Gauss Barrel making it obvious it's possible to implement something like that without the massive jank.

yea just hella long 3 minute cooldown. i pop it whenever since im a scrub and only care about my own dps

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
such an advanced feature takes time to develop.

expect it to be rolled out during the release of 4.0.
Even when PS3 support is dropped, how sure can we be that the servers can handle it?

Armaros

What item progression should I focus on to get through the pre-expansion story as painlessly as possible?

IE what weapons or armors to buy?

Zalasta

Well, I guess I don't see how RoD is better now by taking away the free TP proc, either from WV or into QN. Unless I'm mistaken, just because it shares a recast timer with Bloodletter doesn't mean it is 0 TP like Bloodletter. It still is one of the most expensive abilities to use and taking away the proc makes it even less desirable to me.

scy

Eh best you can do with The Arrow is provide your party a 10% attack speed buff if they are close to the person you used it on.

I guess that's nice but I want more.

More as in like ... raw number wise or effect wise? Spear is the cooldown card if it's just the latter.

Well, I guess I don't see how RoD is better now by taking away the free TP proc, either from WV or into QN. Unless I'm mistaken, just because it shares a recast timer with Bloodletter doesn't mean it is 0 TP like Bloodletter. It still is one of the most expensive abilities to use and taking away the proc makes it even less desirable to me.

It's free.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like DRGs are in a pretty bad place so far. I hope 3.1 brings the ability to devour BRD/MCH souls for power, True Thrust to instant kill MNKs in PVP, 100% materia melding, etc.

_woLf

I'm not sure why Square has this reputation of not listening to the player-base when it comes to issues like bard jank. In my opinion they've always been one of the better developers with QoL requests compared to the other MMO's I've played (WoW included).

I never had any doubt it'd be addressed, kept saying that in FC chat. A lot of people seemed to be of the opinion that they wouldn't throw it in the game just to admit it's not a good change so soon. Seems like they pretty much did just that, though, which makes me happy to see.

I honestly hope that they have an open dialogue with the community (all communities, not just Japan!) about how to fix WM and the 3.0 BRD skills. I'm afraid their idea of how to fix it won't be what people want so they should ask for ideas.

Serick

Married Member
I never had any doubt it'd be addressed, kept saying that in FC chat. A lot of people seemed to be of the opinion that they wouldn't throw it in the game just to admit it's not a good change so soon. Seems like they pretty much did just that, though, which makes me happy to see.

I honestly hope that they have an open dialogue with the community (all communities, not just Japan!) about how to fix WM and the 3.0 BRD skills. I'm afraid their idea of how to fix it won't be what people want so they should ask for ideas.

Completely talking out of my ass here, but I'm going to bet it's changed to a 30% damage cooldown and kept as-is, while the abilities that require it will no longer require it.

_woLf

Completely talking out of my ass here, but I'm going to bet it's changed to a 30% damage cooldown and kept as-is, while the abilities that require it will no longer require it.

Lose the cast time for it and I think that wouldn't be too unreasonable. I wouldn't mind it being a stance dance type thing to be honest.

iammeiam

The whole point of the change is that it was never worth the TP cost, so now it's always free it's just not spammable anymore. Putting it on the Bloodletter cool down is kind of brilliant since multidotting 2 or 3 targets gives you River of Blood procs for days and a big AOE boost. It's an adjustment to get used to not reactively mashing Bloodletter anymore, but it's a boost.

Arkeband

Banned

It's hard to give them too much credit here when so many baseline QoL things were (and still are) missing.

"Wow they responded and added item links in chat!" was a legitimate response to that QoL change that wasn't available at launch despite the game being redesigned with the hotbar MMO template in mind. You still can't link more than one in the same chat message. You still can't message friends while in a duty, either.

Omnicent

Can any drks confirm this ?

This (if it is legit) on top of DA bugs, mean I might wait things out a bit on my DRK (till the bugs are fixed). Guess I'll level my NIN or WAR while I wait.
I was so close to 59 too.

well just read some BG posts (its still up in the air, but its not looking good. Hopefully its just a visual problem).... rip DRK till hotfixes

Serick

Married Member
It's hard to give them too much credit here when so many baseline QoL things were (and still are) missing.

"Wow they responded and added item links in chat!" was a legitimate response to that QoL change that wasn't available at launch despite the game being redesigned with the hotbar MMO template in mind. You still can't link more than one in the same chat message. You still can't message friends while in a duty, either.

I guess none of that (item linking especially) really bothers me. We hardly use chat anyway.... I can see that being a PITA for PS4/3 users.

One work around (I know it's not optimal) is to use linkshells to get around the /whisper limitation while in a duty.

This (if it is legit) on top of DA bugs, mean I might wait things out a bit on my DRK (till the bugs are fixed). Guess I'll level my NIN or WAR while I wait.

well just read some BG posts.... rip DRK till hotfixes

I guess I should have run Sohm Al last night. =(

Hah, and some people in FC chat thought they wouldn't address WM. Sounds like the Japanese XIV community is just as pissed about it as we are so I think it'll get changed significantly. Problem is I don't see it happening until like September at the earliest. :( I wonder what made them think that BRD players would embrace the radical change.

The way they worded everything, it sounds like we'll be getting the bandaid fix around the time Alex normal/savage comes out and then if things aren't looking better we'll get a major change for one of the major content patches. As far as bandaids go though, we likely won't see more than making WM a real stance (no cast time with a small cd after using it) and maybe buffing dmg in a few places (hopefully weapon dmg for both Bard/Machinist).

_woLf

The way they worded everything, it sounds like we'll be getting the bandaid fix around the time Alex normal/savage comes out and then if things aren't looking better we'll get a major change for one of the major content patches. As far as bandaids go though, we likely won't see more than making WM a real stance (no cast time with a small cd after using it) and maybe buffing dmg in a few places (hopefully weapon for both Bard/Machinist).

I'm cool with that for the time being. It's a song that only has an effect on the bard who casts it, tell the bard to stop sitting there and sing it in their head or something :)

MogCakes

The added positional difficulty from Wheeling Thrust/Fang and Claw exists solely to make maximizing DPS via more difficult, and for good reason, if they were straightforward combo finishers to CT/FT then DRG would be even easier to faceroll and do high DPS, making other DPS classes seem less relevant. It makes sense there would need to be some kind of skill check to get the most out of the job. I wouldn't mind if SE differentiated the two skills sometime in the future, but it would need to come at the cost of potency to keep balance. DRG is already the best melee DPS in the game atm.

As a DRG I'm having a great time making tanks sweat with crit burst damage. BotD and Litany are a DRG's crack. Geirskogul is such a great skill I'd go so far as to call it the best lv60 offensive skill in the expansion. There's literally no downsides to using it except managing your BotD, it's powerful for a ranged attack, AoE, no TP or MP cost, short CD, and it's oGCD. It has diverse utility, has no animation delay or immobility, long range, and the animation looks like a fancier version of the Kamehameha Wave. If anything I'm afraid SE will nerf BotD or Geir.

Stuart444

well just read some BG posts (its still up in the air, but its not looking good. Hopefully its just a visual problem).... rip DRK till hotfixes

Confirmed it, there is an obvious difference in mp drain with regen on versus when it's not on.

Even if it's bugged, it doesn't mean you can't tank dungeons, especially leveling dungeons. Just turn off Darkside. It's not like you actually need Darkside, it's nice for threat/damage and it enables a bunch of other skills, but really all you need to actually tank is Unleash and Grit. Shadowskin + Shadow Wall are also usable. You'll just be shittier than usual and it'll be as boring as Paladin tanking, but it'll get the job done until they roll the hotfixes(probably tomorrow).

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
The random procs for DRG is fine imo. After getting used to it once I got both skills, it was fine. Doesn't really need changed imo.

Like someone else said though, I fear for Battle Litany :(.

DRG's are going to be good regardless of Battle Litany there or not. They should just remove it! =)

Uthred

Was hoping that the new BLM rotation would solidify once I'd tried it for a while. But I'm just not feeling it, maybe its just that so much of the end game content at the moment is movement intensive but it feels more irritating than challenging to play at the moment. Latency doesnt really help either. At least I've a fabulous hat to look forward to when esoterics drop.

Razzorn34

Confirmed. MP is not doing a tick drain like before, but taking a large amount when any of your buffs drop. Including ones from other jobs. The only way to avoid it is to not use Darkside, which is crippling. DRK is basically broken for group play right now. I hope they hotfix it quick.

Arkeband

Banned
The added positional difficulty from Wheeling Thrust/Fang and Claw exists solely to make maximizing DPS via more difficult, and for good reason, if they were straightforward combo finishers to CT/FT then DRG would be even easier to faceroll and do high DPS, making other DPS classes seem less relevant. It makes sense there would need to be some kind of skill check to get the most out of the job. I wouldn't mind if SE differentiated the two skills sometime in the future, but it would need to come at the cost of potency to keep balance. DRG is already the best melee DPS in the game atm.

As a DRG I'm having a great time making tanks sweat with crit burst damage. BotD and Litany are a DRG's crack. Geirskogul is such a great skill I'd go so far as to call it the best lv60 offensive skill in the expansion. There's literally no downsides to using it except managing your BotD, it's powerful for a ranged attack, AoE, no TP or MP cost, short CD, and it's oGCD. It has diverse utility, has no animation delay or immobility, long range, and the animation looks like a fancier version of the Kamehameha Wave. If anything I'm afraid SE will nerf BotD or Geir.

The only thing that sucks about Geirskogul is that typically you aren't going through single-target rotations for trash where better AOE skills can be used (Ring of Thorns, Doom Spike).

BotD doesn't even affect Dragonfire Dive, which is the other high-damage AOE we have.

MogCakes

Geir's AoE effect seems to be more of a tertiary attribute. It enables DRGs to single-target burn a mob while still doing occasional AoE damage, and you can also fire it off without TP cost like Doom Spike so it's an added high potency hit for free in effect if you're spamming AoEs. I do wish BotD affected Dragonfire, but it's a minor complaint.

Tiops

No one should ever be basing the class they're going to play off of obvious non intended class mechanics. This happens in every mmo when something seems too good to be true and then people complain that it got fixed after so many days/weeks.
I'm not talking about the double Dark Arts.

Dark Passenger and Abyssal Drain enhanced effects on Dark Arts are just working on the first enemy that the skill hits, and whatever buff you have on you makes the MP decrease faster when you're on Darkside. I absolutely belive that making Regen drain your MP is a bug, and it was added with today "hotfixes". They need a hotfix for these hotfixes ASAP.

I'll continue to play DRK, of course. These issues will be fixed soon and I want to be at a high level when it happens.

BadRNG

This is fucking ridiculous. They were so eager to fix the DA thing they created far worse bugs.

The DA bug wasn't even seriously broken. It was a huge quality of life thing to help with the ridiculous MP costs, and our damage was still decently behind WAR. Now it'll be even lower and MP management will be worse. Thanks SE? This bullshit could of at least waited until full balance patch and DRK gets some overall changes to compensate.

No one should ever be basing the class they're going to play off of obvious non intended class mechanics. This happens in every mmo when something seems too good to be true and then people complain that it got fixed after so many days/weeks.
Unintended or not, it was one of the things that made DRK's other issues bearable. And it was far from too good to be true, was not broken in any way shape or form.

iammeiam

But in this case they really did straight up break DRK in an unintended way as part of the fix to the unintended mechanic The AOE self-heal thing only works on one target and putting buffs on them (self-buffs or other) increases their MP drain. They'll fix it, but until they do I can see a lot of people switching to other classes that aren't bugged.

I'm not talking about the double Dark Arts.

Dark Passenger and Abyssal Drain enhanced effects on Dark Arts are just working on the first enemy that the skill hits, and whatever buff you have on you makes the MP decrease faster when you're on Darkside. I absolutely belive that making Regen drain your MP is a bug, and it was added with today "hotfixes". They need a hotfix for these hotfixes ASAP.

I'll continue to play DRK, of course. These issues will be fixed soon and I want to be at a high level when it happens.

Ya....just found out that they did actually break something and thought it was just something that got fixed this morning lol. Ya that sucks.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
This is fucking ridiculous. They were so eager to fix the DA thing they created far worse bugs.

The DA bug wasn't even seriously broken. It was a huge quality of life thing to help with the ridiculous MP costs, and our damage was still decently behind WAR. Now it'll be even lower and MP management will be worse. Thanks SE? This bullshit could of at least waited until full balance patch and DRK gets some overall changes to compensate.

Unintended or not, it was one of the things that made DRK's other issues bearable. And it was far from too good to be true, was not broken in any way shape or form.

PLD is calling you back.

Top Bottom