• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

BadRNG

PLD is calling you back.
lol nope

Might need to level WAR though, just to be safe. I can't believe they broke DRK this bad. The aoe thing is bad enough but losing MP every time a buff drops is insane. Inexcusable bug. I'm glad we finished everything we needed, maybe bug will be fixed by Alexander.

I honestly can't remember... and even if he didn't he should have enough tokens to buy them at this point :0.
Yeah I didn't get it, got the axe though.

RK9039

ffxiv_30062015_202517ssut7.jpg

Why is it still locked? I just did the quest to unlock it. Is it because of item level?

WolvenOne

So, uh, I probably just missed this....

....whatever happened to that whole, Derp Lion mount, the one that datamining revealed some patches back.

MogCakes

Almost every official review or review-in-progress I've seen about Heavensward spends the majority of their articles bitching about having to complete the story through 2.55. Not exactly great early coverage of the expac.

Chemist

Neo Member
Alright I'm finally fed up with my fc on exodus, it kinda died a few months back thought hw would reinvigorate it but no more!

So I'll be transferring over to ultros on the 1st to be with gaf! Yay! Lol app to follow tonight or tomorrow morning !

Chemist

Neo Member
Man, Glamour prism are fucking expensive for what they cost. Overall the Glamour system is too expensive for what is it.

Really. Its the one thing I wish it would have taken from wow , just give us a gil sink and full reign. A good money maker for crafters I suppose though.

jorgeton

So what's the best way to get Carbontwine right now? Is it still the CT weekly? Have a WAR and NIN sitting at lvl 50 I want to deck out in i130 gear when leveling up.

I sure feel silly for grinding poetics those last few weeks before HW. Now it rains em from the sky.

So what's the best way to get Carbontwine right now? Is it still the CT weekly? Have a WAR and NIN sitting at lvl 50 I want to deck out in i130 gear when leveling up.

I sure feel silly for grinding poetics those last few weeks before HW. Now it rains em from the sky.

i believe so. hunts also give them and there isnt a restriction

Pancho

Qurupancho
I couldn't help but laugh at this. I figured the bold red letters had it all covered.
I don't laugh, since I joined the game late its the first time Im able to access end game content before they enable duty finder for it. Took me a few seconds to get what was happening xD

gryvan

And this is why I have WAR to 60 first just in case this shit happens

./sigh SE

On another note, poison damage doesn't drain HP, it drains MP instead apparently under darkside

spchless.gif

I didn't even know you could pre-make parties before doing dungeons.

missing out bro. Almost all 8 man content needs a pre formed party in the beginning. General rule is that if you can't duty finder it, you need a premade.

You can also party up for your expert and high level duty roulette

WolvenOne

Probably waiting for when Yokai Watch releases in NA?

Maaaaybe? Whole situation there is kinda weird, since it's kinda a cross-promotional thing and kinda not and the same time.

Initially I figured they'd just release it as a funny looking mount. XD

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
At least the JP players are complaining about the same things... right?
Well it's not like a cultural barrier should be a detriment towards being able to identify obvious hmmmmmmm......."mistakes" that are aperant to those invested in their class.

Maaaaybe? Whole situation there is kinda weird, since it's kinda a cross-promotional thing and kinda not and the same time.

Initially I figured they'd just release it as a funny looking mount. XD
If they release that via Mog Station Code than anyone could get it since the codes are not region locked for Bonus Items.

Serick

Married Member
At least the JP players are complaining about the same things... right?

The few times I've bothered to go through and try to translate the JP forums it mostly looks like they're on board with the NA/EU complaints as well.

Sometimes they're even more critical than we are.

Edit: by translate I mean Google translate :D

Nibiru

Banned
Almost every official review or review-in-progress I've seen about Heavensward spends the majority of their articles bitching about having to complete the story through 2.55. Not exactly great early coverage of the expac.

They are also criticizing the level gaps. I actually agree with most of the criticisms i have seen tbh. I love the game but I'm also able to see it's faults. I had a friend that was not finishing the story quest and I had to convince him that he HAD to do it to participate in the expansion(face it not everyone is interested in the story they just want to level get gear do the the content.) It was not a detail that was highlighted enough imo and I had to search forums to find a definitive answers as to how far into the story you had to be. A lot of people weren't clear I read so much wrong information.

None of this applies to us because we are informed but I can see why a returning player would be pissed off by it.

Serick

Married Member
I didn't see the official translation posted yet regarding BRD, so here we go!

Yoshi P. said:
Hello, everyone,

FFXIV producer/director Yoshida here.
Thank you for all the feedback you've been posting regarding bard.

I'd like to take a moment to discuss how the development team recognizes the current situation and our plans for adjustment.

The Wanderer's Minuet

In regards to the Wanderer's Minuet, the ability that you learn from the level 52 job quest, we are aware of the following points of feedback:

Until reaching level 60, using Wanderer's Minuet will result in less damage being dealt in comparison to when you are not using it.

It's difficult to feel the benefits of Wanderer's Minuet versus the risk of not being able to move while attacking, which was a perk of playing as a bard.

It's difficult to use Wanderer's Minuet because the casting time required for activating it is too long.

As a result of the initial bad impression given by the first problem, and the length of time required to cast it, I think that it's still difficult to feel the benefits of this ability even when you hit level 60.

The team is currently working on fixes to resolve these problems.

In addition to making adjustments so that the effect of this ability is fitting right after you learn it, we will be making it easier to switch into and out of Wanderer's Minuet and eliminating the current aspects that make it difficult to use. At the same time we will be paying close attention to the balance of each skill so the damage output at level 60 does not largely increase.

The Warden's Paean
We've been receiving feedback that the utility and value of using the Warden's Paean seems low, and the development team is aware of this. We are currently looking into adjustments.

Regarding the bug wherein actions cannot be used temporarily
I apologize for the inconveniences caused by this bug. We addressed this in today's hotfix. I apologize for the time it took to properly address.

There has only been a small amount of time since you all have reached level 60 (this goes for all jobs; not just bard), and the new raid will be opening shortly, so I'm sure you will continue to explore your jobs with trial and error.

The development team is constantly keeping a watch on job balance, and we will be reading over all of the feedback we receive after the raid has opened and making adjustments as necessary.

chrono01

Was hoping that the new BLM rotation would solidify once I'd tried it for a while. But I'm just not feeling it, maybe its just that so much of the end game content at the moment is movement intensive but it feels more irritating than challenging to play at the moment. Latency doesnt really help either. At least I've a fabulous hat to look forward to when esoterics drop.
My problem with the new BLM, at least currently, is how tight it is to cast Fire IV while keeping Astral Fire up. Without Ley Lines, I can barely get a second Fire IV off and refresh Astral Fire with a Fire I cast. It's very close, like 1-2s remaining on Astral Fire. If I need to move for any reason [and let's face it, I will], it's even more strict. I can always Swiftcast a Fire I to keep Astral up, but I'd rather save that for later in case I really need it to cast a Blizzard IV and keep the Enochian buff going. Granted, this will become less of an issue when you get more SSPD on your gear [which, unfortunately, is pretty lacking on the Law gear-set], but right now it's extremely stressful, but then I only have a few pieces of Law gear and several vendor pieces still [I'M WORKING ON CHANGING THAT THOUGH!]. Add to this bosses that constantly jump/phase in and out/become invulnerable, and you have a major headache.

I'm sure things will become easier with time, especially after we become more comfortable with the fights so we know exactly when to use certain CD's, make pre-emptive movements if we need to, etc. I'd like to think certain tweaks are in the works for us. Even something as simple as extending Astral Fire/Umbral Ice by a few seconds would help tremendously. I also really like the idea of adding a sub-effect on Scathe so you can quickly refresh Astral Fire/Umbral Ice while moving, but that might be a little too powerful. I'm just hoping the bosses of Alexander aren't as mobile as the ones we've seen so far. It's not so much the mobility of Ravana EX that gets me, it's the switches in-between phases and such, in addition to the movement, that make it difficult to keep Enochian going.

I still love BLM, and I'd better. It's my only class, and if any of you know what I'm like, I'm not about to level anything else.

To my static, sorry for not being a SMN. ;_;

Teletraan1

Banned

This release is baffling to me as an MMO vet. A normal mmo expansion just pushes the new stuff in your face, the last WoW expansion gave you a pre-order bonus to headstart a character to previous max level and they often make the new classes overpowered at the start to spur on adoption etc.

This game. Makes you do between 15-20 hours of garbage tier filler quests that were boring as fuck sprinkled in with some dungeons and primals to tell a story that could be achieved with much less filler just to start the expansion content. All the new classes are horribly undertuned to the point where this toxic community is absolutely venomous about certain classes.

I know SE likes to beat to a different drum but other MMOs especially WoW do these things for a reason. It sells copies of the expansion. Lapsed players sign on to play the new and shiney classes/areas/content, not the old and busted. They get an expansion sale and a couple months of subs out of these people.

WolvenOne

They are also criticizing the level gaps. I actually agree with most of the criticisms i have seen tbh. I love the game but I'm also able to see it's faults. I had a friend that was not finishing the story quest and I had to convince him that he HAD to do it to participate in the expansion(face it not everyone is interested in the story they just want to level get gear do the the content.) It was not a detail that was highlighted enough imo and I had to search forums to find a definitive answers as to how far into the story you had to be. A lot of people weren't clear I read so much wrong information.

None of this applies to us because we are informed but I can see why a returning player would be pissed off by it.

From what I've read though, going through the level 50 story quests does give you a free level or two by the time you reach Heavensward content. So you end up doing less grinding overall. I mean, two levels translates into a loooot of sidequests you can just skip.

That said, they probably could've removed some of the level 50 fetch quests from the main story.

This release is baffling to me as an MMO vet. A normal mmo expansion just pushes the new stuff in your face, the last WoW expansion gave you a pre-order bonus to headstart a character to previous max level and they often make the new classes overpowered at the start to spur on adoption etc.

This game. Makes you do between 15-20 hours of garbage tier filler quests that were boring as fuck sprinkled in with some dungeons and primals to tell a story that could be achieved with much less filler just to start the expansion content. All the new classes are horribly undertuned to the point where this toxic community is absolutely venomous about certain classes.

I know SE likes to beat to a different drum but other MMOs especially WoW do these things for a reason. It sells copies of the expansion. Lapsed players sign on to play the new and shiney classes/areas/content, not the old and busted. They get an expansion sale and a couple months of subs out of these people.

Uh, first.

The free levels thing, was not something WoW did until it's latest expansion, from what I've heard. When FFXIV has numerous expansions worth of content to go through, then you can talk about getting Free Levels, or being able to skip huge chunks of the story.

Second.

15-20 hours to do the story from 2.1 to 2.55? That seems darn excessive if people are skipping cutscenes and don't care about the story.

Third.

FFXIV is a narrative driven MMO. So if you have zero interest in story this might not be a good MMO for you. I would agree that they could afford to trim out some of the fetch quests, but I actually AGREE with making people go through story content before starting Heavensward. The level 50 content is generally worth doing, gets players some experience with basic gameplay and mechanics, and helps establish atmosphere and background for the world. All of this is a worthwhile accomplishment of game design.

fedexpeon

Banned
From what I've read though, going through the level 50 story quests does give you a free level or two by the time you reach Heavensward content. So you end up doing less grinding overall. I mean, two levels translates into a loooot of sidequests you can just skip.

That said, they probably could've removed some of the level 50 fetch quests from the main story.

Not sure if you are serious...
20-30hrs trying to do 2.0-2.55 would mean you would hit 58 at least in a reasonable time.
You aren't doing less grinding, you are doing more.

iammeiam

In addition to making adjustments so that the effect of this ability is fitting right after you learn it, we will be making it easier to switch into and out of Wanderer's Minuet and eliminating the current aspects that make it difficult to use. At the same time we will be paying close attention to the balance of each skill so the damage output at level 60 does not largely increase.

So.... Yeah. This is not reassuring.

MogCakes

I agree SE should remove a lot of the fetch quests interspersed throughout the 2.1 to 2.55 story, but I would have thought SE has been transparent about XIV being very story-centric, moreso than other MMOs. I guess for it to be a well-known requirement they'd have had to put it in at the end of trailers or something where people can clearly see it.

20-30hrs trying to do 2.0-2.55 would mean you would hit 58 at least in a reasonable time.
From what I've read of people doing the pre-HW content it gets you maybe 1/3rd of a level to 51.

So.... Yeah. This is not reassuring.
They've got a strict hold on the DPS caps for each job it seems like.

Zomba13

I'm still 100% for making people finish 2.0-2.55 content before playing HW. I don't want fresh people playing LVL50 classes and not knowing how to play. I don't want to have to explain to a healer to use protect or a tank how voke works. I'm fine doing that stuff in the low level dungeons and helping out but at 50 you should know your class especially because of all the skills. Through 2.0 you get to learn you class and slowly add skills and figure out what they do. I don't want players thrown in the deep end with a full bad of skills they have no idea how to use and then have to group with them.

Oh and with the argument of "but I played all of 2.0, I know how to play and I want the expansion and new stuff!" well the 2.1-2.55 stuff is new content for you! If you lapsed after beating Ultima then you still have a bunch of new dungeons and trials to do!

Ken

Hey Kagari, I hear Idyllshire is selling DRG Spears for only 10 hive totems.

{Battle Litany} {Do you have it?}
{Bard} {No thanks.}

WolvenOne

The number of dungeons and trails you, "NEED," to do to finish the level 50 story quests, is actually fairly minimal. If I remember correctly between 2.1 and 2.55 only Snowcloak and Keeper of the Lake are story dungeons, and the rest are optional sidequests.

That just leaves the Trials, Leviathan, Mog, Ramuh, Shiva, Chrysalis, and Steps. You only need to do these once, and all but the last two are all but face pull with the quest gear they give you for free now.

Then there is the fetch quests, which I did say could be trimmed back a bit now. Everything else seems like an appropriate amount of work for a few free levels.

Audioboxer

Can you hookup a Bluetooth keyboard to the PS4 just to chat but play on the DS4? Hardly talk in GAF chat as I find it a PITA to use the virtual keyboard. Still getting to grips with all the controls so I might find it easier as time passes.

Ken

Can you hookup a Bluetooth keyboard to the PS4 just to chat but play on the DS4? Hardly talk in GAF chat as I find it a PITA to use the virtual keyboard. Still getting to grips with all the controls so I might find it easier as time passes.

Should be able to. I have a USB KB on mine and play with controller.

Yes, this is how I play. I have a USB keyboard hooked up into the other slot on the console solely for communicating.

Sorian

Banned
Without Ley Lines, I can barely get a second Fire IV off and refresh Astral Fire with a Fire I cast.

If this is your worry, use SHARPCAST (I typo'd I'm sorry) -> fire I before starting a fire IV rotation. Without movement, you have time for 3 fire IVs and then you can use your fire starter proc to refresh AF with no down time. Obviously, this can only be done once a minute but it's better than wasting swift and it'll make you feel less stressed while learning the timing.

Top Bottom