• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

chrono01

If this is your worry, use SHARPCAST (I typo'd I'm sorry) -> fire I before starting a fire IV rotation. Without movement, you have time for 3 fire IVs and then you can use your fire starter proc to refresh AF with no down time. Obviously, this can only be done once a minute but it's better than wasting swift and it'll make you feel less stressed while learning the timing.
Thanks, I'll re-work my rotation with this in. It does sound like it might help a bit!

I usually went:

Quelling Strikes > Sharpcast > Ley Lines > Fire I > Enochian > Raging Strikes > Fire III [Proc] > Fire IV > Fire IV > Fire I > Fire IV > Fire IV > Fire I > Convert > Fire IV > Blizzard III > Thunder I/II > Blizzard IV > Fire III > Fire IV > Fire IV > Fire I > Fire IV > Fire IV > Blizzard III > Blizzard IV > Fire III

From here, I continue with Fire IV until Enochian drops, in which I reapply [thanks to the ability being available again] when I enter the next Umbral Ice phase. Next Enochian rotation, I won't have Raging Strikes or Ley Lines available, so that set of rotations is more simplified.

I'm still tweaking my rotation a bit, and of course this is my "ideal" rotation, but mechanics can mess with it a bit.

creid

The added positional difficulty from Wheeling Thrust/Fang and Claw exists solely to make maximizing DPS via more difficult, and for good reason, if they were straightforward combo finishers to CT/FT then DRG would be even easier to faceroll and do high DPS, making other DPS classes seem less relevant. It makes sense there would need to be some kind of skill check to get the most out of the job. I wouldn't mind if SE differentiated the two skills sometime in the future, but it would need to come at the cost of potency to keep balance. DRG is already the best melee DPS in the game atm.

As a DRG I'm having a great time making tanks sweat with crit burst damage. BotD and Litany are a DRG's crack. Geirskogul is such a great skill I'd go so far as to call it the best lv60 offensive skill in the expansion. There's literally no downsides to using it except managing your BotD, it's powerful for a ranged attack, AoE, no TP or MP cost, short CD, and it's oGCD. It has diverse utility, has no animation delay or immobility, long range, and the animation looks like a fancier version of the Kamehameha Wave. If anything I'm afraid SE will nerf BotD or Geir.
I'm a DRG who has yet to do the level 58 or 60 quest. What's so great about Geirskogul? From reading the description, it sounds like a decent AOE attack, but the fact that you can only use it once or twice before having to do a single-target 4-hit combo (which I wouldn't be doing when I need to AOE) makes it sound pretty useless. As a result I don't see any reason to do the last 2 job quests.

WolvenOne

So, seems unlikely that they're going to make players do Extreme Primals for their Relic. Do you think we'll be getting some more Relic Reborn style trials when they unlock the new relic grind in another week?

Also, crafted jewelry. I am somewhat sad that I cannot as of yet get new crafted jewelry worth having. <_<;;

Sorian

Banned
Thanks, I'll re-work my rotation with this in. It does sound like it might help a bit!

Don't fall into bad habits like I did btw. Flare w/ convert is no longer worth it in your rotation. During your opener and any other time during a fight where you have 15-20 seconds where you can turret and have everything off of cd, (sharp, swift, convert) and you are on your first enochian with the 30 second timer, you're aiming to get off 5 or 6 fire IVs. I was doing some of this stuff wrong and learned all of Bismarck and Ravana before getting it right (only about a 50 dps difference but obviously worth it in the long run) and it's been a pain to correct my brain on these things.

I'm a DRG who has yet to do the level 58 or 60 quest. What's so great about Geirskogul? From reading the description, it sounds like a decent AOE attack, but the fact that you can only use it once or twice before having to do a single-target 4-hit combo (which I wouldn't be doing when I need to AOE) makes it sound pretty useless. As a result I don't see any reason to do the last 2 job quests.

it's an ogcd with a cooldown of 10 seconds for 200 potency that you can do every other rotation(so like every 20 seconds if you dont mess up, plus the double when bLOD comes off cooldown). I dont think any other class comes close to this. You dont really need to do the 58 class quest b/c it doesnt add much, but geirskogul is pretty good. Also you'll deal more average potency per attack with the new rotation than without it

Sorian

Banned
So, seems unlikely that they're going to make players do Extreme Primals for their Relic. Do you think we'll be getting some more Relic Reborn style trials when they unlock the new relic grind in another week?

Also, crafted jewelry. I am somewhat sad that I cannot as of yet get new crafted jewelry worth having. <_<;;

3.1 drops in a week?

BadRNG

There has only been a small amount of time since you all have reached level 60 (this goes for all jobs; not just bard), and the new raid will be opening shortly, so I'm sure you will continue to explore your jobs with trial and error.

The development team is constantly keeping a watch on job balance, and we will be reading over all of the feedback we receive after the raid has opened and making adjustments as necessary.
I shouldn't be surprised by this but it kind of pisses me off - it's already clear all three of the new jobs need balance adjustments. Why do we need to wait for Alexander to come and go when it's obvious to anyone with half a brain? Being hesitant to make huge changes is fair, but when there is clear issues it's just insulting to all the people who play those jobs. We've been through this song and dance with WAR where it took months of "feedback", to the point people were being shunned from groups and when the buffs finally came the endgame meta was already established. So many people still thought WAR were bad MT months and months later because of the perception established in 2.0. Part of the blame is on the players there but SE incredible stubbornness (even going as far as to say at one point that it was a player skill issue) did not help things at all. Do we really need to go through that again? MCN are already getting shunned by PFs, and I've heard of statics already wanting their tanks/healers to switch off DRK/AST until changes come as well.

I still love BLM, and I'd better. It's my only class, and if any of you know what I'm like, I'm not about to level anything else.

To my static, sorry for not being a SMN. ;_;
It's ok Makoto, we'd never make you switch off BLM.

Wouldn't want to wait till 4.0 for you to get to 60 on the new class.

good points
If they just cut out the incredible amount of fluff and streamlined the 50 storyline it'd be fine. Even a brief synopsis would probably work too, since a good chunk of the 2.1 > 2.55 story doesn't even matter. They went out of their way to make most of the plot lines completely pointless in Heavensward.

Uthred

Finished the story, it was really enjoyable but felt like a bit of mess in terms of tone, the triumphant music didnt seem appropriate considering
a) you lost the head of your church and elite knights, b) you lost the Azure Dragoon and c) your ancestral foe is reborn.

I'm sure things will become easier with time, especially after we become more comfortable with the fights so we know exactly when to use certain CD's, make pre-emptive movements if we need to, etc. I'd like to think certain tweaks are in the works for us. Even something as simple as extending Astral Fire/Umbral Ice by a few seconds would help tremendously. I also really like the idea of adding a sub-effect on Scathe so you can quickly refresh Astral Fire/Umbral Ice while moving, but that might be a little too powerful. I'm just hoping the bosses of Alexander aren't as mobile as the ones we've seen so far. It's not so much the mobility of Ravana EX that gets me, it's the switches in-between phases and such, in addition to the movement, that make it difficult to keep Enochian going.

I still love BLM, and I'd better. It's my only class, and if any of you know what I'm like, I'm not about to level anything else.

To my static, sorry for not being a SMN. ;_;

Yeah a few small quality of life changes to allow for limited movement or poor server ticks would be great, a slight extension on AF/UI would go a long way towards that.

I usually went:

Quelling Strikes > Sharpcast > Ley Lines > Fire I > Enochian > Raging Strikes > Fire III [Proc] > Fire IV > Fire IV > Fire I > Fire IV > Fire IV > Fire I > Convert > Fire IV > Fire IV > Blizzard III > Thunder I/II > Blizzard IV > Fire III > Fire IV > Fire IV > Fire I > Fire IV > Fire IV > Blizzard III > Blizzard IV > Fire III

From here, I continue with Fire IV until Enochian drops, in which I reapply [thanks to the ability being available again] when I enter the next Umbral Ice phase.

I'm still tweaking my rotation a bit, and of course this is my "ideal" rotation, but mechanics can mess with it a bit.

I dont have the SSPD for it yet, but I'm aiming for something like this 1

QS> LeyLine> F3> Enochian> RS> F4> F4> Sharpcast> F1> Int Pot> F4> F4> procF3> Convert> F4> F4 > B3> B4> F3> F4> F4> F1> F4> F4> (procF3)> etc.

Though I usually dont even attempt the Int Pot and any movement seems to cock it up, generally leading to me falling back on the old 2.5 rotation

If they just cut out the incredible amount of fluff and streamlined the 50 storyline it'd be fine. Even a brief synopsis would probably work too, since a good chunk of the 2.1 > 2.55 story doesn't even matter. They went out of their way to make most of the plot lines completely pointless in Heavensward.

Theres a good amount of world building and character advancement of 2.1 > 2.55, the majority of which leads to the setup for the story in HW. Calling it pointless seems a stretch.

creid

it's an ogcd with a cooldown of 10 seconds for 200 potency that you can do every other rotation(so like every 20 seconds if you dont mess up, plus the double when bLOD comes off cooldown). I dont think any other class comes close to this. You dont really need to do the 58 class quest b/c it doesnt add much, but geirskogul is pretty good. Also you'll deal more average potency per attack with the new rotation than without it
Ah, I guess it could be useful for doing extra damage to trash in a situation where I'd normally only be doing single-target DPS. I was trying to figure out how it would be helpful in cases where I normally need to AOE, and couldn't come up with much.

Jayhawk

You too poor or something?

New crafted STR accessories with VIT (maybe some PIE for DRKs) still the best for offtanks. I am surprised that somebody like Master Xtech has yet to monopolize the tier 5 materia market with all that spiritbonding he likes to do.

I thought that the new Relic Quest opened at the same time that Esoteric Tomes and Alexander Normal mode became available.

Nope... relics come in 3.1.

Ah, I guess it could be useful for doing extra damage to trash in a situation where I'd normally only be doing single-target DPS. I was trying to figure out how it would be helpful in cases where I normally need to AOE, and couldn't come up with much.

I just use typical drg aoe rotation in 4+ mobs as well but I'll throw in one or two geirskoguls.

WolvenOne

You too poor or something?

New crafted STR accessories with VIT (maybe some PIE for DRKs) still the best for offtanks. I am surprised that somebody like Master Xtech has yet to monopolize the tier 5 materia market with all that spiritbonding he likes to do.

Highest ilvl accessories I've seen on the marketboard are ilvl150. Having STR and Vit available on the same gear may be great, but I rather doubt it's enough to compensate for 30 ilvl's. More than thirty, in another week.

Tabris

What are the averages for DPS numbers (i.e. MNK 1000, SMN 1100, etc) on the various jobs now?

Highest ilvl accessories I've seen on the marketboard are ilvl150. Having STR and Vit available on the same gear may be great, but I rather doubt it's enough to compensate for 30 ilvl's. More than thirty, in another week.

The progression crafted gear is releasing same time as Alex Savage and AF2 I thought I heard.

Sorian

Banned
I'm copying an opener I found on reddit at the moment, I'm aware that the blizz 3 right at the beginning is debatable.

QS -> Ley Lines -> Blizz 3 -> thunder 1 -> sharp -> fire 3 -> enochian -> fire 1 -> RS -> Fire IV x3 -> firestarter proc -> convert -> fire IV x 2 (I swiftcast one of these) and maybe one more Fire IV with an ether if you feel kinky

Then I go into standard enochian refresh mode.

What are the averages for DPS numbers (i.e. MNK 1000, SMN 1100, etc) on the various jobs now?

I was 1100ish on a dummy last night, I haven't been back into ravana since I got my parser up.

Is it possible to enable the PS4 controller UI in the PC engine?

I like to play with my controller when I'm casually side questing and switch to KB/M for grouped Duty.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I'm still 100% for making people finish 2.0-2.55 content before playing HW. I don't want fresh people playing LVL50 classes and not knowing how to play. I don't want to have to explain to a healer to use protect or a tank how voke works. I'm fine doing that stuff in the low level dungeons and helping out but at 50 you should know your class especially because of all the skills. Through 2.0 you get to learn you class and slowly add skills and figure out what they do. I don't want players thrown in the deep end with a full bad of skills they have no idea how to use and then have to group with them.

Oh and with the argument of "but I played all of 2.0, I know how to play and I want the expansion and new stuff!" well the 2.1-2.55 stuff is new content for you! If you lapsed after beating Ultima then you still have a bunch of new dungeons and trials to do!

This is the same type of reasoning as to why I'm glad that was made into a requirement and because I believe that Square-Enix is more focused on keeping their active subscribers happy instead of pandering to those casuals who only come back to subscribe to the game for 2 months months and leave afterwards every time a patch/expansion is released.

Just like patch 2.1-2.5 wasn't immidiately available to new players this does and should apply to 2.0 players who want immediate access to 3.0

Going forward Square-Enix didn't waste much time pandering to those players who couldn't be asked to finish MQ Line and get to Lv.50 to have acces the new content so it will be the same scenario here where Square-Enix shouldn't bother making content for any player who can't be bothered to reach Lv 60.

chrono01

Stop slacking and play some more! I expected a 1000-word essay on the new BLM rotation from you by now.
I prefer to condense my massive wall-of-text posts now. Makes for easier reading!

Don't fall into bad habits like I did btw. Flare w/ convert is no longer worth it in your rotation. During your opener and any other time during a fight where you have 15-20 seconds where you can turret and have everything off of cd, (sharp, swift, convert) and you are on your first enochian with the 30 second timer, you're aiming to get off 5 or 6 fire IVs. I was doing some of this stuff wrong and learned all of Bismarck and Ravana before getting it right (only about a 50 dps difference but obviously worth it in the long run) and it's been a pain to correct my brain on these things.
Yeah, I've dropped Flare from my single target rotation. I use it for AOE still, but it's just not worth the GCD for single target now, not with Fire IV and keeping Astral/Umbral/Enochian up. Convert I use for a few more Fire IV in my first rotation of Enochian.

It's ok Makoto, we'd never make you switch off BLM.

Wouldn't want to wait till 4.0 for you to get to 60 on the new class.
I'm not even sure I'd make it by 4.0, to be honest. That's how bad it is.

Yeah a few small quality of life changes to allow for limited movement or poor server ticks would be great, a slight extension on AF/UI would go a long way towards that.

I dont have the SSPD for it yet, but I'm aiming for something like this 1

QS> LeyLine> F3> Enochian> RS> F4> F4> Sharpcast> F1> Int Pot> F4> F4> procF3> Convert> F4> F4 > B3> B4> F3> F4> F4> F1> F4> F4> (procF3)> etc.

Though I usually dont even attempt the Int Pot and any movement seems to cock it up, generally leading to me falling back on the old 2.5 rotation
Yeah, even the smallest change would help out a lot. Here's hoping SE is listening, but I'm sure they have a couple other classes to focus on too.

I edited my original post, as the rotation listed was wrong [I had to go over the moves in my head to make sure], but everything should be correct now.

I definitely will try working Sharpcast later into my rotation, to get a guaranteed Firestarter to re-apply Astral. It's a great idea.

But yes, we need more SSPD. Here's hoping Alexander gear is loaded with it. O_O

Jayhawk

Seravi Edalborez in a BG post said:
If you can stomach the investment and/or find crafters who won't charge you your firstborn, I feel melded i150 (Slaying with VIT 4 4 3 3 3) will be the best investment. Beats even i200 accessories from what projections imply it should be; you would be trading ~50 VIT for ~150 STR compared to full Fending. You can play cheaper with 4/1 or 3/2 split of VIT/STR accessories. The only downside with melded is maybe having accuracy concerns down the line, but I think it can be managed.

More than enough to compensate for 30 ilvls.

chrono01

I'm copying an opener I found on reddit at the moment, I'm aware that the blizz 3 right at the beginning is debatable.

QS -> Ley Lines -> Blizz 3 -> thunder 1 -> sharp -> fire 3 -> enochian -> fire 1 -> RS -> Fire IV x3 -> firestarter proc -> convert -> fire IV x 2 (I swiftcast one of these) and maybe one more Fire IV with an ether if you feel kinky

Then I go into standard enochian refresh mode.
Yeah, I've seen more than a few people have Blizzard III as their opening. I haven't tried it personally, but it might be worth looking into.

Sorian

Banned
Yeah, I've seen more than a few people have Blizzard III as their opening. I haven't tried it personally, but it might be worth looking into.

I think it's a null point, you either waste the time casting the blizzard 3 or the slow cast of your first fire 3. I think the real advantage is it will almost guarantee you go into your fire rotation with the maximum amount of MP possible barring those times where the tick timer gives you bad luck.

Doesn't not being able to use Ley Lines much impact your DPS a decent amount?

It's not hard to walk out to dodge something then walk right back in.

Serick

Married Member
**SNIP** MCN are already getting shunned by PFs, and I've heard of statics already wanting their tanks/healers to switch off DRK/AST until changes come as well.

You know I understand being passionate about the class you play, but players are just as much at fault here if not more-so than Square. Sure it sucks playing an underpowered class but every MMO has "underpowered" classes. WoW is infamous for its balance rollercoaster.

I find it incredibly hard to believe that any of the content currently in the game is not "do-able" with all of the classes available and while I understand that may not be true for Savage modes but they should have some good numbers from Alex normal to start tweaking with.

I mean, summoners went through the exact same stigma and never sucked to begin with..

Jayhawk

But yes, we need more SSPD. Here's hoping Alexander gear is loaded with it. O_O

They've tuned stat weights of spell speed and skill speed, so that current law gear will feel like Darklight gear in 2.0. The amount of spell/skill speed needed to reduce the cast time of a spell or GCD timer by 0.01 second is a lot more than was needed at level 50. Your attack speed will feel slower than what you were used to by patch 2.55. Expect to get back to that same feeling eventually.

Tabris

MMO cycle = Overpower or Underpowered > Underpowered or Overpowered > Balanced.

Every job will go through this cycle, and often it starts again.

Well at least for FFXI and FFXIV, never played anything else.

WolvenOne

More than enough to compensate for 30 ilvls.

Going to see if any additional crafted accessories are made available when they unleash the Crafters gear recipes, at least.

I also want to see what the accuracy requirements are for Alexander, and to see how much accuracy is on the Esoterics gear. I don't want to, "bet," that it can be managed, only to turn around and find that it's borderline impossible.

Sorian

Banned
They've tuned stat weights of spell speed and skill speed, so that current law gear will feel like Darklight gear in 2.0. The amount of spell/skill speed needed to reduce the cast time of a spell or GCD timer by 0.01 second is a lot more than was needed at level 50. Your attack speed will feel slower than what you were used to by patch 2.55. Expect to get back to that same feeling eventually.

It's going to feel so good when we do. It's going to be a fun game fitting in more and more fire IVs into the rotation as new gear is released.

chrono01

I think it's a null point, you either waste the time casting the blizzard 3 or the slow cast of your first fire 3. I think the real advantage is it will almost guarantee you go into your fire rotation with the maximum amount of MP possible barring those times where the tick timer gives you bad luck.
Yeah, it's the going into the Astral Fire rotation at full MP that interests me. The way I see it, the timing should be near identical [need to do the math, though], since it takes a while to hard-cast Fire III, whereas with Blizzard III [while being at a faster cast than Fire III] you get the haste buff going from Umbral to Astral for the Fire III. I'm not sure the extra MP will help in getting an extra Fire IV off, I'll test it out later today at a dummy.

chrono01

I cannot wait for that day. I've gotten so used to my spells casting faster, I feel so slow now. :(

Edit: Damn it, sorry for the double post.

Jayhawk

wouldnt this be based off of old stat weights though.

Based on what I have read so far regarding preliminary studies on Critical Hit Rate and Skill/Spell Speed, their stat weights when compared to primary damage stat are lower than before at this point. Primary damage stat is king!

Sorian

Banned
Yeah, it's the going into the Astral Fire rotation at full MP that interests me. The way I see it, the timing should be near identical [need to do the math, though], since it takes a while to hard-cast Fire III, whereas with Blizzard III [while being at a faster cast than Fire III] you get the haste buff going from Umbral to Astral for the Fire III. I'm not sure the extra MP will help in getting an extra Fire IV off, I'll test it out later today at a dummy.

There are a lot of situations where I'm at 1713 mp left after some rotations (fire IV is high 1700s), they tuned these numbers a lot closer than usual IMO. You'll be better than me at the nitty gritty of the maths but I think it's worth it.

BadRNG

Theres a good amount of world building and character advancement of 2.1 > 2.55, the majority of which leads to the setup for the story in HW. Calling it pointless seems a stretch.
I guess pointless is too far, but the actual major plot points got swept under the rug in favor of new ones.
Sultana is alive and may or may not be breaking up the monarchy now, the entire plot with Omega weapon seems gone with whats his face, Crystal braves is gone, the scions aren't really dead and seem to be coming back whenever we need some good ol' plot convenience, Midgardsormr barely appeared at all and we reacquired our Hydealyn link at the oddest times just because reasons

Honestly 3.0's storyline, in regards to 2.x, was largely spent either doing it's own thing or returning the status quo from changes to the world in 2.x. The absolute biggest "changes" were just introducing new characters who don't do a whole lot, like the Domans.

I really liked 3.0's story, it was far better than anything in 2.0 onwards, and actually benefited greatly from
the scions and the rest of Eorzea in general not being around
but you could seriously cut out the majority of the 2.x series of quests and it would not actually change one's understanding of the plot that much. There was a ton of build up that just never went anywhere.

Tabris

I think that was the original intention when they first unveiled the skill but no, it sits there for 30 seconds regardless of you standing in it or not.

Oh then that's not bad, I assumed that based on the tooltip for the action:

Connects naturally occuring ley lines to create a circle of power which, while standing within it, increases attack speed by 15%. Circle fades upon leaving it.

chrono01

There are a lot of situations where I'm at 1713 mp left after some rotations (fire IV is high 1700s), they tuned these numbers a lot closer than usual IMO. You'll be better than me at the nitty gritty of the maths but I think it's worth it.
Honestly, all of this discussion kind of makes me excited again at what they did to BLM. Sure, it can be a bit frustrating right now, but the potential for everyone to have their own rotation and way of doing things, is kind of refreshing to see. This is coming from ARR, where every BLM [more or less] had the exact same rotation.

Of course, with a bit of time I'm sure the ideal "MOST DPS!" rotation will be discovered [and the majority will probably use it], but even with this I can still see people doing their own thing and what's most comfortable for their personal play-style.

I guess pointless is too far, but the actual major plot points got swept under the rug in favor of new ones.
Sultana is alive and may or may not be breaking up the monarchy now, the entire plot with Omega weapon seems gone with whats his face, Crystal braves is gone, the scions aren't really dead and seem to be coming back whenever we need some good ol' plot convenience, Midgardsormr barely appeared at all and we reacquired our Hydealyn link at the oddest times just because reasons

Honestly 3.0's storyline, in regards to 2.x, was largely spent either doing it's own thing or returning the status quo from changes to the world in 2.x. The absolute biggest "changes" were just introducing new characters who don't do a whole lot, like the Domans.

I really liked 3.0's story, it was far better than anything in 2.0 onwards, and actually benefited greatly from
the scions and the rest of Eorzea in general not being around
but you could seriously cut out the majority of the 2.x series of quests and it would not actually change one's understanding of the plot that much. There was a ton of build up that just never went anywhere.

yea I felt
the sultana stuff was pretty hamfisted. Was a big build up previously with a new cg made for it and it only takes like 1/10th of the 3.0 story arc with probably the worst conclusion ever. I bet they focus tested the sultana dying and ppl didnt like it

iammeiam

You know I understand being passionate about the class you play, but players are just as much at fault here if not more-so than Square. Sure it sucks playing an underpowered class but every MMO has "underpowered" classes. WoW is infamous for its balance rollercoaster.

I find it incredibly hard to believe that any of the content currently in the game is not "do-able" with all of the classes available and while I understand that may not be true for Savage modes but they should have some good numbers from Alex normal to start tweaking with.

I mean, summoners went through the exact same stigma and never sucked to begin with..

You can do anything currently in the game with a machinist, or a bard, or a machinist and a bard, or two of whatever. The problem is either of those performing well is still not going to be at the top of the DPS charts, and will require the other DPS classes perform fairly well to actually clear. It's a scapegoat thing.

Given that they seem to be fine with at least where Bard damage is, it's likely the Alex Savage DPS checks will be tuned to account for it, too. it's just the easy out when failing a DPS check, since neither Ravana or Bis really need regen from support.

Top Bottom