• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Yeah but playing on PS4 auto-maps the controller layout in a way I can't get the PC client to emulate.

Wat. Not sure what you mean by auto-mapping.
Do you mean how when you get new skills the game will just throw it on the first available slot on the cross bar?
When you toggle on the controller the control is essentially the same asides from the share button is back to being the select button (what clicking the touch pad usually does(.
If anything using the DS4 on the PC is even better.
My friend uses his DS4 on PC and has specific swipe commands on the DS4's touch pad.
ex. swiping down for mounts.

BadRNG

You know I understand being passionate about the class you play, but players are just as much at fault here if not more-so than Square. Sure it sucks playing an underpowered class but every MMO has "underpowered" classes. WoW is infamous for its balance rollercoaster.

I find it incredibly hard to believe that any of the content currently in the game is not "do-able" with all of the classes available and while I understand that may not be true for Savage modes but they should have some good numbers from Alex normal to start tweaking with.
I said in the post that players themselves are to blame as well, but that fact doesn't change anything. It doesn't help the players being blocked from playing their class. You can ask the playerbase to be more open minded but that is pretty much all you can do. SE on the other hand actually can help the situation.

It's not about content being doable either. That's completely missing the point. It's the fact that some classes will do it just plain better, and with less difficulty, than others. It's no wonder the players congregate to certain set ups in light of that. No one wants to put in extra work to compensate for the guy in the group on the inferior class. It creates a bad situation that just breeds more and more toxicity.

There is definitely an aspect of the player base just being dumb here, but they behave that way in reaction to the actual real issues. There was an OF post other day that claimed MCN/BRD dps was so bad that you couldn't do Ravana EX with two of either or one of each - which is utter bullshit as we farmed the fight just fine doing exactly that - but unquestionably their dps is lower. If you are in a good group who do not care about that then there is no issue, but not every player is so lucky, and when people are missing out or forced to play jobs they do not like it's a serious issue. Waiting for Alexander is unnecessary, as there is no possible way that there is something in Alexander that somehow magically fixes fundamental issues with classes.

chrono01

chrono, you and Sorian should team up to level your SMN's for the rest of us :) lol j/k
Me leveling anything other than my BLM [which still took me a decent amount of time, given the MSQ]:

pJpECuQ.gif

So yes, alts...not really my thing. Maybe between Sorian and I, we could get one fully-leveled!

We already have a SMN so he would have to go DRG or MNK.
Please no. Krael has already been asking me to level a DRG.

O_O!

fedexpeon

Banned
The number of dungeons and trails you, "NEED," to do to finish the level 50 story quests, is actually fairly minimal. If I remember correctly between 2.1 and 2.55 only Snowcloak and Keeper of the Lake are story dungeons, and the rest are optional sidequests.

That just leaves the Trials, Leviathan, Mog, Ramuh, Shiva, Chrysalis, and Steps. You only need to do these once, and all but the last two are all but face pull with the quest gear they give you for free now.

Then there is the fetch quests, which I did say could be trimmed back a bit now. Everything else seems like an appropriate amount of work for a few free levels.

Few free levels?
Brah, they barely reward you with any experience.
I was like 2/3, probably less, into 51 by wasting my time doing 2.1-2.55 contents.

WolvenOne

Few free levels?
Brah, they barely reward you with any experience.
I was like 2/3, probably less, into 51 by wasting my time doing 2.1-2.55 contents.

Heard different from other players, and frankly consideringhow quickly you go from 50 to 51 I believe it.

Also, the content is good and new to you, so why should you care?

Uthred

I really liked 3.0's story, it was far better than anything in 2.0 onwards, and actually benefited greatly from
the scions and the rest of Eorzea in general not being around
but you could seriously cut out the majority of the 2.x series of quests and it would not actually change one's understanding of the plot that much. There was a ton of build up that just never went anywhere.

I think theres a ton of build up that hasnt gone anywhere, not that it will never go anywhere, if the post 2.0 content is anything to go by its not hard to imagine some of those dangling plot lines being re-visited, especially as a number of them tie into mechanical changes and such that have been mentioned. I guess we'll see. While the tonal shifts can be odd at time (and I have no love of fetch quests) I find I enjoy a lot of the quests people complain about as filler because they do a good job of situating your character in the world and making it seem like they have a real relationship with the NPC's. Sometimes hero's do mundane stuff, sometimes they do boring favours for their friends, its a nice level of verisimilitude. Though I can see how people might find it boring.

Me leveling anything other than my BLM [which still took me a decent amount of time, given the MSQ]:

pJpECuQ.gif

So yes, alts...not really my thing. Maybe between Sorian and I, we could get one fully-leveled!

Please no. Krael has already been asking me to level a DRG.

O_O!

what about that miner

Wynnebeck

Banned
So with Heavensward out, my friends have been trying to convince me to jump in with them on XIV. I want to play on PS4 and get the best possible deal, so what are my options? Thanks for the help.

not entirely sure what you mean by that. PC client has pretty much the same controller settings that the PS4 would have

Not sure what you mean? If you organized your bars on PS4, you will have to reorganize them on PC as well. Hotbar/keybinding settings don't go across the platforms, they have to be done separately.

Wat. Not sure what you mean by auto-mapping.
Do you mean how when you get new skills the game will just throw it on the first available slot on the cross bar?
When you toggle on the controller the control is essentially the same asides from the share button is back to being the select button (what clicking the touch pad usually does(.
If anything using the DS4 on the PC is even better.
My friend uses his DS4 on PC and has specific swipe commands on the DS4's touch pad.
ex. swiping down for mounts.

Sorry, I'm doing a poor job of explaining my self.

I mean the actual look of the PS4 hot bar with the skills laid out in "+" fashion for the four d-pad directions and the four main buttons.

Final-Fantasy-XIV-a-realm-reborn-ps3-12.png

Can you change a setting in the PC client have the hot bar look like the PS4 hot bar?

Pancho

Qurupancho

I mean the actual look of the PS4 hot bar with the skills laid out in "+" fashion for the four d-pad directions and the four main buttons.

Can you change a setting in the PC client have the hot bar look like the PS4 hot bar?
I think the one that's on the PS4/PS3 Version is called a cross bar.
There's gotta be an option somewhere

Ferr986

Yes, you can. In fact,I played like this with a pad since day 1 on PC. You can also put both 360 or dualshock buttons on the HUD.

I think there's an option in one of the menus for both gamepad and mouse controls. You have to change it to gamepad.

iammeiam

If you change the PC control method in System Settings to Gamepad, it enables the Cross Hotbars which are seperate from the PC Hotbars; if you want to use controller you're golden. If you want to use them with keyboard you'll need to keybind keyboard keys to controller buttons. HOWEVER, I think Gamepad mode without a Gamepad breaks ground-targeting abilities so it's not great for classes with those.

Armaros

MMO cycle = Overpower or Underpowered > Underpowered or Overpowered > Balanced.

Every job will go through this cycle, and often it starts again.

Well at least for FFXI and FFXIV, never played anything else.

That's every MMO ever.

You know what blizzard did to my lock for one last patch in WoD?

Nerf every spell that one type of warlock used by 20% or more. Every single damage spell, besides the ones that are used universally.

I think the one that's on the PS4/PS3 Version is called a cross bar.
There's gotta be an option somewhere

Yes, you can. In fact,I played like this with a pad since day 1 on PC. You can also put both 360 or dualshock buttons on the HUD.

I think there's an option in one of the menus for both gamepad and mouse controls. You have to change it to gamepad.

At the top-left of the Character Configuration menu, there is that toggle between Controller or Mouse and Keyboard.

If you change the PC control method in System Settings to Gamepad, it enables the Cross Hotbars which are seperate from the PC Hotbars; if you want to use controller you're golden. If you want to use them with keyboard you'll need to keybind keyboard keys to controller buttons. HOWEVER, I think Gamepad mode without a Gamepad breaks ground-targeting abilities so it's not great for classes with those.

Awesome, thank you, everyone!

Vanethyr

So are most of you on Ultros, or are you guys spread out a lot more? Looking to join up with a GAF Free Company (if you'll have me) since my friends have stopped playing on Odin.

Armaros

So are most of you on Ultros, or are you guys spread out a lot more? Looking to join up with a GAF Free Company (if you'll have me) since my friends have stopped playing on Odin.

The big GAF FC is on ultros and we should have room iirc. (On my phone at work ATM)

Pancho

Qurupancho
Scholar plays like always. Just some nice extra skills for bigger burst heal and that's it ^.^
Dissipation kinda sucks for the lv60 skill. Its truly a last resort move where the only option available is to call off the fairy for a full stack and increased heals.

Audioboxer

Hit level 15! Started getting gear with materia slots. How do I go about using them? Or is it something for later down the line?

Pancho

Qurupancho
Hit level 15! Started getting gear with materia slots. How do I go about using them? Or is it something for later down the line?

Ignore materia all together until you have some end game gear. You go through armor
So fast when leveling that it isn't worth it.

Armaros

Dissipation kinda sucks for the lv60 skill. Its truly a last resort move where the only option available is to call off the fairy for a full stack and increased heals.

Since the heal buff doesn't affect lustrate/indomitability most of the bonus is from the 3 aetherflow independent of aetherflow's cooldown. (But with the classic MMO stat crunch re summoning your fairy afterwards is mp expensive)

Zomba13

What do you have to do? Sounds sucky :(

You need to have a high enough level crafter meld the materia for you (or you can level the craft class up and do it yourself). It's such a bad system but it's the SE way. You look at a system in other games or MMOs and add a pointless complication to it. See the glamour (vanity) system for another example. You need to use specific prisms for specific item levels and you can only get them from crafting (though some seem to drop in lvl60 dungeons and were rewards in quests. But the good glamour stuff is almost all lvl1 meaning you need a different level of prism).

Anyone caught a glimpse of that UFO yet?

A better view: https://i.imgur.com/l1GGWaW.jpg

_BtB_

hmm are parsers and programs that make a sound when you get a certain proc frowned at, i.e. bannable offense? Just wondering how I will manage conjurer/whm procs when I do not have time to look at the buff/debuff bar.

hmm are parsers and programs that make a sound when you get a certain proc frowned at, i.e. bannable offense? Just wondering how I will manage conjurer/whm procs when I do not have time to look at the buff/debuff bar.

mentioning them to other ppl is but using them no. like telling a rando dps that he is doing bad dps and saying you measured his dps through a parser is bannable.

The act plugin plus another one I believe can do all that you want. I dont know much about spell cast timer plugin though

Meia

So I finally got home from vacation to finally use the code from GMG, only to see it's a steam code, and I have a PC client.

Welp.

Teknoman

You need to have a high enough level crafter meld the materia for you (or you can level the craft class up and do it yourself). It's such a bad system but it's the SE way. You look at a system in other games or MMOs and add a pointless complication to it. See the glamour (vanity) system for another example. You need to use specific prisms for specific item levels and you can only get them from crafting (though some seem to drop in lvl60 dungeons and were rewards in quests. But the good glamour stuff is almost all lvl1 meaning you need a different level of prism).

A better view: https://i.imgur.com/l1GGWaW.jpg

C'moooon

Do iiiiit

Zomba13

So I finally got home from vacation to finally use the code from GMG, only to see it's a steam code, and I have a PC client.

Welp.

Oh wow. When I bought it from GMG I was given the PC code. It said something like "other DRM required" instead of Steam DRM required.

C'moooon

Do iiiiit

If we don't go to the moon in the 3.x patches, we're going to the moon in 4.0. Believe.

Teknoman

I really hope so. Also...maybe i'm just being paranoid again, but anyone else notice a large purple star in the sky lately?

Zomba13

I really hope so. Also...maybe i'm just being paranoid again, but anyone else notice a large purple star in the sky lately?

There are a bunch of new stars in the sky for AST. Each of the AST constellations are now super bright in the sky at night. There is also a large moon I saw in one place at night but I dunno if that was an island or part of the skybox.

Teknoman

There are a bunch of new stars in the sky for AST. Each of the AST constellations are now super bright in the sky at night. There is also a large moon I saw in one place at night but I dunno if that was an island or part of the skybox.

Oh really? Thats pretty cool. They dont happen to give AST a buff depending on what constellation is most prominent?

Top Bottom