• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Holy shit. People fucking suck at dpsing properly in low level roulette. i wanna shoot myself as a healer.

Jarate

Banned
The textures still look bad even after using DX11. Not sure how I feel.
Textures shouldn't improve with an upgrade to DX11, there will be improvements with advanced graphical settings, but texture resolutions won't be helped

The game does look better close up, but the lighting and partial effects are way better then any other MMO, which is honeslty more important then high red textures right now.

Holy shit. People fucking suck at dpsing properly in low level roulette. i wanna shoot myself as a healer.

i had a gilga trial roulette with like 0 dps yesterday. i don't know what people were doing, but that shit took forever. it's like they mashed their way to 50 via fates or tortured other poor souls in dungeons on their way up. yoshi doesn't give a shit.

i had a gilga trial roulette with like 0 dps yesterday. i don't know what people were doing, but that shit took forever. it's like they mashed their way to 50 via fates or tortured other poor souls in dungeons on their way up. yoshi doesn't give a shit.

Did you take poison pots?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I'm having a lot of fun questing with my brother. Up to level 52 now - we're taking it slow, playing roughly 2 hours a day.

Good times!

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
I'm a filthy casual (still not 50 after playing on/off since launch) should I go back and read the patch notes if I really wanted to get into the game now? Thinking about starting over on a new server since I was only level 30ish on the old one and I'd be completely lost to well, everything.

I was doing Darkhold.

Ow, a different question then. In later low level dungeons, a Job would be deprived of 2 skills at most, yar? How could one not DPS properly there, but be able to outside of it? Are the playstyles that much different?

I've seen Paladins spam nothing but Rage of Halone. More than once.
I'd say that person would probably not good even outside of Low Level Roulette...

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I'm a filthy casual (still not 50 after playing on/off since launch) should I go back and read the patch notes if I really wanted to get into the game now? Thinking about starting over on a new server since I was only level 30ish on the old one and I'd be completely lost to well, everything.

The moment you start reading patch notes is the moment an MMO stops being fun. Just start anew and enjoy the discoveries :)

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
English Heavensward has the best localization confirmed.

9l0SZ5s.png

Thanks Koji Fox.

Ralemont

not me

Naw, just ask people in LS/FC if you have any specific questions or need advice on something. It's more efficient and also a way to be sociable if you happen to be joining a new one.

Xux

MCH seems pretty dang cool. I feel like it'll take me forever to get one class to 60 let alone the other three I have at 50, tho. :/

AXE

Yeah well, that's not as bad as auto-attacking through a dungeon.

Don't know about the dungeon wait time for the DPS (other than I've heard that occasionally it can be very long), but you'd think that when people actually get in they'd put a little effort to it.

I wish they'd implement a DPS-meter. Not only would it be a immensely useful tool for raid leaders, but it would mayhap wake up people and not waste everyone's time by not doing their part in dungeons.

I do find myself enjoying voting these slackers out.

Yeah well, that's not as bad as auto-attacking through a dungeon.

Don't know about the dungeon wait time for the DPS (other than I've heard that occasionally it can be very long), but you'd think that when people actually get in they'd put a little effort to it.

I wish they'd implement a DPS-meter. Not only would it be a immensely useful tool for raid leaders, but it would mayhap wake up people and not waste everyone's time by not doing their part in dungeons.

I do find myself enjoying voting these slackers out.

I'd be for that if there were a similar tool for healers and tanks as well as there are more than a few of each who feel that their presence alone is enough. You also have people who are used to being carried by their FC/static because they can somewhat competently perform one role and get in the wild expecting the same pampering and laziness to fly.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

Yeah sure I can do that.

I don't know how well that will go over with new players though. Way too much information. The information about side stuff is good including unlocking the 24 mans, but the stuff about the main quest is a little bit too much. You just need to tell players to continue doing the main story quests (Meteor quests) and if you can't do one because your level is too low, do other content until you can do the quest.

Aselith

I got an unhidden leather map from a Heavensward chest today and it sent me to an ARR chest. That was kind of disappointing :(

I assume for a newcomer there isn't much point for getting Heavensward ASAP? Just the base game is enough without missing anything too crucial?

Kitoro

I assume for a newcomer there isn't much point for getting Heavensward ASAP? Just the base game is enough without missing anything too crucial?

Yes! You don't need to buy Heavensward until you complete the entire ARR storyline.

Also, if you'd like, I'd greatly appreciate if you add my recruiter code on Mog Station when you register; we both get goodies! It's EPYK8PVT. NP if you already have a commitment with someone else's code, though! :)

Lagamorph

I have no idea if I'm "dpsing right" as a level 46 Summoner.
My usual method against dungeon bosses is,

Have Garuda as summoned pet
Cast Bio II, Miasma, Bio and Virus for DoT then spam Ruin II
Once the DoT's are approaching about 5 seconds remaining, re-cast (Virus just re-cast as soon as cooldown is complete)
Cast Rouse on my pet to increase its damage output
When MP reaches 25% cast Aetherflow followed by Energy Drain

Once I hit 50 I plan on throwing Shadow Flare out before spamming Ruin II, though with how much some bosses can move around I suspect it will have limited effectiveness in some dungeons.

Yes! You don't need to buy Heavensward until you complete the entire ARR storyline.

Also, if you'd like, I'd greatly appreciate if you add my recruiter code on Mog Station when you register; we both get goodies! It's EPYK8PVT. NP if you already have a commitment with someone else's code, though! :)

I don't even know what any of that means :lol.

I did give the PS4 version a small try back in the beta (?) days but I realized I didn't like MMORPGs on consoles. However I've been feeling a lil itch to go back and I'd like to try something new other than WoW. RR is only 10€ on steam with 30 free days so heck, I'll give it a shot.

docbon

i gotta be quicker roping these new players in with my mogstation code (QNM22KE9 btw)

papa needs a fake twintania mount.

Mcdohl

I finally cleared turn 5!

It's such a joke now. 6 manned (lvl60).

I'm such a casual...

I do want to see all of the coil content though, idc much about really 'raiding'.

scy

I have no idea if I'm "dpsing right" as a level 46 Summoner.
My usual method against dungeon bosses is,

Have Garuda as summoned pet
Cast Bio II, Miasma, Bio and Virus for DoT then spam Ruin II
Once the DoT's are approaching about 5 seconds remaining, re-cast (Virus just re-cast as soon as cooldown is complete)
Cast Rouse on my pet to increase its damage output
When MP reaches 25% cast Aetherflow followed by Energy Drain

Once I hit 50 I plan on throwing Shadow Flare out before spamming Ruin II, though with how much some bosses can move around I suspect it will have limited effectiveness in some dungeons.

Just going through this:
Virus isn't a DoT, it's a short-duration stat debuff. You use it to lower damage dealt by the target in certain situations (e.g., before their big damage attacks). Do not use this randomly.

Ruin 2 and Ruin 1 are the same damage EXCEPT if you're in auto-attack range. Basically, you can keep using Ruin 1 except when you really need Ruin 2's instant cast properties.

Bio you want to refresh closer to 0s; Bio 2 / Miasma you can start re-casting around ~3-4s left. This way you don't lose any DoT ticks due to refreshing too early. More of an MP saving thing than anything else.

Constantly use Aetherflow. You pretty much never want to sit on your Aetherflow cooldown. On top of that, you should have Fester by this point and all of your stacks should be spent on that instead. It's double the damage per use compared to Energy Drain.

Basically, at 50 my rotation was: Bio 2 -> Miasma -> Bio -> Swiftcast + Fester + Shadowflare -> Spur + Rouse -> Ruin 2 -> Enkindle -> Ruin spam until Fester is off cooldown -> Ruin 2 + Fester, etc. After that, it's basically refresh DoTs, Shadowflare, etc. as needed and Fester whenever available with Ruin / Ruin 2s when nothing else is available. Whenever I needed to use Fester or Bio or any other off-global cooldown (oGCD) ability, I'd cast a Ruin 2 instead so I don't "lose" any casting time.

...and then everything changes at 60.

Undersized parties is far and away the best thing about the expansion.

It made Mog HM kill order count again!

Levi too hard though

Hasney

Tanks and healers get better queues, but make sure you actually enjoy doing them. Nothing worse than a tank who feels they've been pushed into it just so queues pop quicker.

Zomba13

Any particular class/whatever that usually is sought after in parties? I love dem shorter queues if possible.

Tank classes (Gladiator/Paladin, Marauder/Warrior, Dark Knight) have near instant queues.
Healer classes (Scholar, Conjurer/White Mage, Astrologian) also have super fast queue times.

Ken

Any particular class/whatever that usually is sought after in parties? I love dem shorter queues if possible.

For duty finder, it's by roles and generally the fastest queue times go to tanks, healers, melee DPS, and then ranged DPS.

For party finder/non-system formed groups, group compositions for most 8-mans go two tanks, two healers, and four DPS. DPS slots usually keep a mix of spots for 1-2 melee and the rest ranged. Tanks and healers are usually preferred to be not the same but will take two of the same jobs depending on content. Another content-dependent thing is what limit breaks are needed, but this is usually on the DPS.

Very infrequently will one specific job be preferred over others though it's definitely happened (SMNs and BRD kiters for T7) so don't worry too much if you're set on a specific role but think one job will be more desirable than the other. Just pick the one you like and since you can take all jobs on one character you can't really make a mistake in job choice.

In the end though the best option will be to play your chosen job, whatever it is, well. No point in being the FotM job and doing terrible at it, ruining your rep on the server and being forced to change names to get to join groups again.

Top Bottom