• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Nohar

Any particular class/whatever that usually is sought after in parties? I love dem shorter queues if possible.

To expand on Zomba13's answer: Tank and Healers have roughly 1 second to 2min queue time, whereas any DPS job will need to wait between 5min to 45min (depending on the dungeon, the roulette, etc).

Qvoth

I have no idea if I'm "dpsing right" as a level 46 Summoner.
My usual method against dungeon bosses is,

Have Garuda as summoned pet
Cast Bio II, Miasma, Bio and Virus for DoT then spam Ruin II
Once the DoT's are approaching about 5 seconds remaining, re-cast (Virus just re-cast as soon as cooldown is complete)
Cast Rouse on my pet to increase its damage output
When MP reaches 25% cast Aetherflow followed by Energy Drain

Once I hit 50 I plan on throwing Shadow Flare out before spamming Ruin II, though with how much some bosses can move around I suspect it will have limited effectiveness in some dungeons.
The only thing I can say with certainty is don't use virus unless your healers told you

Ayumi

Is there a place I can see which GAF nick is associated to which in-game name?
I feel weird not knowing who anyone in-game is. D:
The GuildWork member list doesn't seem to have that info.
Okay it's done. I added it right at the top. I also added a disclaimer at the top of the OT about sending in an application to join the Ultros Free Company. Hopefully this puts less stress on Drama :)

When I requested to be added last night, I went by the guide in the thread OP and completely missed the fact that I had to apply from the GW page too. ; w ;

SRTtoZ

BLM at 60 needs some serious QoL changes because with the movement in most end game content it's really fucking annoying to keep track of all these buff timers.

It was a good day at the Gold Saucer :D

PC Character:
jCEaG7P.png

PS4 Character:
KtMcdTi.jpg

I was falling asleep during one of the 60 dungeons tonight and pretty much on autopilot, doing minimal DPS and sucking in general. I was SMN and the other DPS was DRG.

I got a compliment from the DRG on how high my DPS was.

Zomba13

I'm going to keep telling myself it's a good thing I've not got my SMN to 60 becuase otherwise I'd be enjoying all this super DPS and OP and too stronk stuff and then be disappointed when the nerf comes and hits hard.

Qvoth

BLM at 60 needs some serious QoL changes because with the movement in most end game content it's really fucking annoying to keep track of all these buff timers.

i think you just have to get used to it, i'm not enjoying it when i 1st got to 60, but now i'm feeling better
neverreap last boss is still fucking retarded with blm though

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
i think you just have to get used to it, i'm not enjoying it when i 1st got to 60, but now i'm feeling better
neverreap last boss is still fucking retarded with blm though
I find it impossible to enjoy Neverreap and Bismarck Ex even after spending around a week with my lv 60 BLM.

Tornadoes, tornadoes everywhere.

Murray97

I'm going to keep telling myself it's a good thing I've not got my SMN to 60 becuase otherwise I'd be enjoying all this super DPS and OP and too stronk stuff and then be disappointed when the nerf comes and hits hard.

no nerfs please. I'm leveling SMN next :(

Qvoth

I find it impossible to enjoy Neverreap and Bismarck Ex even after spending around a week with my lv 60 BLM.

Tornadoes, tornadoes everywhere.

i'm still stuck with bismarck ex on the weathers phase, but one thing i do on the 2 snakes phase is to stand on the edge of the island, i never get bothered by the tornado during this phase

barit

Holy shit. People fucking suck at dpsing properly in low level roulette. i wanna shoot myself as a healer.

Don't tell me. I was at Ravana through roulette with probably the 4 worst DPS from the whole realm/EU. Fight lasts over 40min. We had 3(!!) full LBs in the fight lol. Only survived that long because me and the other healer healed our asses off. I need to bring my BLM to 60 to see if DPS is really that hard to play now.

Btw why it's always called DPS in english? I thought It stands for Damage per Second. Wouldn't be DD (Damage Dealer) make more sense? (in german we call them DD for example)

Ken

Eh, seems like they are pushing for ranged DPS to be better about CD usage and committing to stationary bursts (Ley Lines, WanMin, Gauss barrel).

When I requested to be added last night, I went by the guide in the thread OP and completely missed the fact that I had to apply from the GW page too. ; w ;

Not any up to date ones, afaik. There's a short message FC members can use and some have their GAF names on it.

Kusagari

Don't tell me. I was at Ravana through roulette with probably the 4 worst DPS from the whole realm/EU. Fight lasts over 40min. We had 3(!!) full LBs in the fight lol. Only survived that long because me and the other healer healed our asses off. I need to bring my BLM to 60 to see if DPS is really that hard to play now.

How is it even possible to be that bad at DPSing unless you're literally doing nothing?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
i'm still stuck with bismarck ex on the weathers phase, but one thing i do on the 2 snakes phase is to stand on the edge of the island, i never get bothered by the tornado during this phase
I've yet to clear ex, so I'll try that out, thanks for the tip.

Yes! You don't need to buy Heavensward until you complete the entire ARR storyline.

Also, if you'd like, I'd greatly appreciate if you add my recruiter code on Mog Station when you register; we both get goodies! It's EPYK8PVT. NP if you already have a commitment with someone else's code, though! :)

I registered the code.

And apparently Steam doesn't update the game itself, it has it's own download client? Shame.

How is it even possible to be that bad at DPSing unless you're literally doing nothing?

A lot of people press buttons slowly. Like really slowly. The GCD in this game is way longer than say wow, so it shouldn't be an issue, but quite often you can clearly see people pressing buttons even slower than that(which is 2.5secs). Add completely terrible choice of abilities to press(no dot, no self buffing skills, only 1 1 1 1 or 1 2 3 spam, or worse, 3 3 3 3 even though they don't do the combo), and it's pretty easy to have people do terrible damage.

I've been leveling a bunch of chars through dungeons since my AST hit 60. I have seen one other DPS parse over 350, and I got 2x 53 and a 56. 350 wasn't even good by lvl 50 standards.

Btw why it's always called DPS in english? I thought It stands for Damage per Second. Wouldn't be DD (Damage Dealer) make more sense? (in german we call them DD for example)

because people are weird. DD is the right term. i don't know when people started calling them DPS.

suzu

Some of us put our GAF names in the player search info and/or in the short message on the FC window. It's not really enforced though.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
because people are weird. DD is the right term. i don't know when people started calling them DPS.
Because DPS is a better term and it perfectly describes and pushes the mentality that every DPS class should aim to do (outside dodging perfectly telegraph Attacks) and that is to do as much as damage as possible instead of just simply doing damage.

IvorB

They are (or, at least, they should be). It's really just a random bit of RNG added to them for no reason besides "well, RNG." In the grand scheme of things it's a non-issue entirely though.

That's good to know. I still have dragoon at level 40 and was thinking to keep going with that at some point.

Many complaints about HS are warranted (like the bard thing) but others are just people whining because things are not like they were. I like the changes. Makes the game feel a bit more refreshing adjusting to the changes.

I like the changes too but then I have only been playing one job since the expac.

Tash

The only thing I can say with certainty is don't use virus unless your healers told you

<3

Gotta mention it again: are all tanks complete n00bs now? It's driving me (and any dragoon) completely insane how they move stuff around without having any reason to do so.
Made the one tank I had in Fractal last night look like a god for actually moving adds into shadowflare and using his CDs for the first bosse's single "I kick you in the nuts" move.

Or are people just not giving a shit and thinking "the healer will mob it up" because I also have dps simply not caring for ground aoes. Them getting hit by every single cycle of the ground aoe at Demon Wall 2.0 and also standing on glowing stuff on the last boss in Fractal. It's stressful times for nurses..

Azzurri

Movement while casting would fix this.

And don't tell me they can't do it because it's how it's designed. Bard already does this. Also, WildStar has some of the most intense bosses and dungeons/raids you'll play and every class can move and cast. It can be done.

Isaccard

And don't tell me they can't do it because it's how it's designed. Bard already does this. Also, WildStar has some of the most intense bosses and dungeons/raids you'll play and every class can move and cast. It can be done.

This ain't Wildstar

dramatis

That's the point. What bard is supposed to be and what black mage is supposed to be are the reasons why black mage has to stand still to cast. Bard can't output the kind of dps a black mage does, it exchanges damage for mobility. Although with Heavensward additions, the devs made bard less mobile for more damage now (supposedly).

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
<3

Gotta mention it again: are all tanks complete n00bs now? It's driving me (and any dragoon) completely insane how they move stuff around without having any reason to do so.
Made the one tank I had in Fractal last night look like a god for actually moving adds into shadowflare and using his CDs for the first bosse's single "I kick you in the nuts" move.

Or are people just not giving a shit and thinking "the healer will mob it up" because I also have dps simply not caring for ground aoes. Them getting hit by every single cycle of the ground aoe at Demon Wall 2.0 and also standing on glowing stuff on the last boss in Fractal. It's stressful times for nurses..

If you're playing a dungeon as a drg where at least fang and claw are available, it's better to use your normal rotations than an aoe move.

AXE

<3

Haven't gotten past Sohm Al but up to here (and especially there) mobs seem to have a lot of attacks (conal or otherwise) that which prompts evading them. I notice myself moving a lot by instinct and I realize it must be pretty awful for the melee DPS.

On the other hand the mobs hit like trucks with these attacks and it just gives the healer that much more to do.

Haven't gotten past Sohm Al but up to here (and especially there) mobs seem to have a lot of attacks (conal or otherwise) that which prompts evading them. I notice myself moving a lot by instinct and I realize it must be pretty awful for the melee DPS.

On the other hand the mobs hit like trucks with these attacks and it just gives the healer that much more to do.

Well there's 2 ways to handle it. You either move out of the aoe, then move back to your spot while the animation plays, so the mob doesn't actually turn at all, or you move out, then stop moving, so the DPS can tell which direction the mob will face when it's done. The worst though is the tanks that are extremely inconsistent about what they do, or just move for no real reason(like no aoe, let me just turn the mobs a little bit just because). But eh, at least they don't have hard positional requirements anymore on any class(I think), it's just potency, so whatever my damage drops if the tank swings the mobs around, it's annoying cause it makes everything slower, but eh.

Tash

That would mean completely redesigning the game..sure, it can be done without an issue in games but it's based on underlying mechanics and design. You can't just change a game like ffxiv to be like wildstar..apples and oranges..

That is the difference between an ok and a great tank. They avoid but don't turn/move/displace the mobs :) Mobs have always had frontal and cone attacks to avoid.

Yeah, just weave in an out and play the dancing game while returning to your original spot when the reticule fades.

If you're PLD abuse that Shield Swipe on trash, it's almost always up at 52+ and you can just sit there and spam it on a pack and keep hate while pacifying everything. Throw in some stuns if needed.

I wouldn't look to WildStar for inspiration on anything at this point, to be honest.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Known Issues in Patch 3.0 (Jul. 1)
We have confirmed the following issues in Patch 3.0. These issues are being addressed, and we ask for your patience and understanding as we strive to resolve this promptly.

[Known Issues]
- An issue in “Thok ast Thok (Extreme)” wherein Ravana’s use of “Chandrahas” breaks more than five of the walls around the outer field.
- An issue wherein the dark knight action "Dark Arts" only applies its additional effect to a single target when used in area-of-effect attacks.
- An issue wherein the monk action “The Forbidden Chakra” and the astrologian action “Draw” cannot be queued immediately following the use of a weaponskill or spell.

*These issues are scheduled to be addressed next week in Patch 3.01.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/69c8554f1f717b2b87cfb47cbe8c6e83dc31c3c9

- An issue wherein the monk action “The Forbidden Chakra” and the astrologian action “Draw” cannot be queued immediately following the use of a weaponskill or spell.

I knew this wasn't just my latency. Seemed to get worse after the last hotfix too.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Tanks are all on a power trip lately. I've never seen pulls this large, CD usage this awful. And of course they don't even think about DPS composition. We have a NIN without a Kiss on and a MCH who never puts Hot Shot up. Guess I better pull ten mobs in Dzemael past the crystals area, I'm sure I'm gonna be a blast to heal!

Then there was that other ninja who stood in every AOE indicator in Stone Vigil and complained that "Ninjas have mdef too low". I just can't.

Isaccard

Tanks are all on a power trip lately. I've never seen pulls this large, CD usage this awful. And of course they don't even think about DPS composition. We have a NIN without a Kiss on and a MCH who never puts Hot Shot up. Guess I better pull ten mobs in Dzemael past the crystals area, I'm sure I'm gonna be a blast to heal!

Then there was that other ninja who stood in every AOE indicator in Stone Vigil and complained that "Ninjas have mdef too low". I just can't.

99 problems

kayos90

Fucking this. I haven't seen that many shitty healers but holy shit are there a ton of bad tanks and DPS. The former being assholes that constantly move so I can't proc my bonus damage as DRG and the latter being douches that won't use AOE when it makes sense. UGH.

There's probably a lot of bad tanks right now because Dark Knight is the cool, edgy, grimdark class that everyone who's never tanked before is trying.

Dark Knight is my favorite class in the game and the FF series.

kayos90

There's probably a lot of bad tanks right now because Dark Knight is the cool, edgy, grimdark class that everyone who's never tanked before is trying.

Dark Knight is my favorite class in the game and the FF series.

It's not a matter of people not knowing how to play DRK. I don't really care too much about that. My issues is tanks moving around like fucking crazy to rearrange mobs (and small mobs at that). It's annoying as shit.

I love being a healer in situations like this burning every single once of my mana trying to keep the idiot tank alive. Then they lose hate one of the dps gets attacked, focus gets lost party wipes tank gets mad at me and asks what happened.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Fucking this. I haven't seen that many shitty healers but holy shit are there a ton of bad tanks and DPS. The former being assholes that constantly move so I can't proc my bonus damage as DRG and the latter being douches that won't use AOE when it makes sense. UGH.

You need to chill out, man.

Tiops

Tanks are having a really hard time to understand that they're not overgeared anymore and that large pulls are not a great idea when you're not overgeared.

And I had a great experience last night in my Trial Roulette (Ramuh Hard).

NIN: "Hi, I'm new here!"
DRG: "Same."
PLD: "No problem, it's an easy fight"
* adds appear *
Me (DRK): "Kill adds!"
* DRG and NIN proceeds to ignore adds and hit Ramuh nonstop *
* Party wipes *
Me: "Guys, we need to kill the adds, come on"
NIN: "Didn't you hear we saying that we're new here?"
Me: "Yeah, that's why I shouted KILL ADDS 3 times."
NIN: "I'm focusing on the fight, not in the chat log"
Me: "..."

Cleared after 3 more wipes.

It's not a matter of people not knowing how to play DRK. I don't really care too much about that. My issues is tanks moving around like fucking crazy to rearrange mobs (and small mobs at that). It's annoying as shit.

Oh, yeah. What I'm saying is that there are probably a ton of people trying DRK that have no understanding of some of the concepts of tanking.

Top Bottom