• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

iammeiam

Having done 50-60 almost exclusively with DF randoms in the other three slots and 30-60 with random DPS and healers, there weren't really that many outstandingly terrible people. The occasional "what are you even doing" guy, but maybe my standards are just lower.

The random terrible distribution did seem evenly distributed across all roles from the few I ran into, though.

It's not a matter of people not knowing how to play DRK. I don't really care too much about that. My issues is tanks moving around like fucking crazy to rearrange mobs (and small mobs at that). It's annoying as shit.

Yea, thats an issue I see a lot. The only time I move when tanking packs is when like 3 or more aoes are coming at me. Any less and I just take it so DPS can get the mobs deader quicker.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Tanks are all on a power trip lately. I've never seen pulls this large, CD usage this awful. And of course they don't even think about DPS composition. We have a NIN without a Kiss on and a MCH who never puts Hot Shot up. Guess I better pull ten mobs in Dzemael past the crystals area, I'm sure I'm gonna be a blast to heal!

Then there was that other ninja who stood in every AOE indicator in Stone Vigil and complained that "Ninjas have mdef too low". I just can't.
I haven't grinded much but I will say that I had a bad run on the Vault yesterday were we wiped once on the mobs because the Tank grabbed 3 adds too many,we died twice on the 2nd Mid Boss,and by the time we got to the Final Boss after he wipes us twice the Dark Knight proceeded to blame the Astralogist for the wipes (which promted the Astrologist to leave) and after another Astrologist came in and we wiped again the Dark Knight left but of course once a Paladin came in we cleared the Boss easily.

I think these bad Tanks I'm seeing is result of a combination of arrogance and players not having a full grasp on the role of a tank or the role of a Dark Knight.

I've run into a number of people recently (mostly ranged DPS) who seem to have been mostly standing around and doing an ability maybe once every five seconds or so. Has anyone else seen this or am I just crazy?

Valor

Having done 50-60 almost exclusively with DF randoms in the other three slots and 30-60 with random DPS and healers, there weren't really that many outstandingly terrible people. The occasional "what are you even doing" guy, but maybe my standards are just lower.

The random terrible distribution did seem evenly distributed across all roles from the few I ran into, though.

Gonna go ahead and second this. Once in a while there's the AST who oom's within a minute or two or the WHM that heals the tank with Cure III in aurum vale, but people have been pretty much par for the course as to what I expect. I've leveled mch and drk from 30-50 via df and it's been more or less fine.

As a tank, I've just had issues with astrologians not being able to keep up with the last boss of fractal.

Or dps stacking with bomb thing ughhhh

Sometimes I wonder how I compare to other healers or what a bad healer is like in the world since I basically only play healer classes.

I wonder if people who play tanks mainly feel the same way.

EDIT: and yes as a AST main it is quite easy for us to go OOM comparef to the other healers. I've found the only way I can keep up sometimes to to go Noctural Sect during fights with trash mobs. Then I heal mainly using Benefic and Aspected Benefic for the heal plus shield. During bosses I go Diurnal Sect.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Gonna go ahead and second this. Once in a while there's the AST who oom's within a minute or two or the WHM that heals the tank with Cure III in aurum vale, but people have been pretty much par for the course as to what I expect. I've leveled mch and drk from 30-50 via df and it's been more or less fine.

Pretty much. I didn't really have many poor encounters during my time from 50-60 and now I'm leveling MCH and it seems to be going okay in DFs.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
As a tank, I've just had issues with astrologians not being able to keep up with the last boss of fractal.

Well, there's a lot of DRKs that never tanked, a lot of MCHs that don't know how to do good damage and there's probably a lot of ASTs that don't know the first thing about healing. All of those new classes can be a little bit tricky to play to boot, so instead of picking up straightforward PLDs, DRGs and WHMs, these people... Yeah. Yoshi, you need to gate more. Make them get that stupid Provoke.

Sifl

I was thinking about trying the game out, but when I looked it up on the PSN store, most versions of the game aren't even available. I'm pretty sure a few days ago it was available for purchase, but now the bundle, the expansion, nor the base game are available. Only the collectors edition of the base game.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

You've been lucky then. Low Level Roulette has been agonizing for me. Doing all of the Heavensward Dungeons? Perfectly swell. They've literally all been perfect. The lower ones. It's like I stepped in hell.

Roulettes / Aery runs.

Thanks. The grind to 60 is really something.

You've been lucky then. Low Level Roulette has been agonizing for me. Doing all of the Heavensward Dungeons? Perfectly swell. They've literally all been perfect. The lower ones. It's like I stepped in hell.

Tell me about it. I just did a Brayflox run with a scholar who let me die 5 times from normal mobs because he was so slow at healing.

have no real issue with low level or high level. Only issue I've ever had is dark knights not managing mp but at this point ppl are figuring out. Also gotta give new players and ppl returning some slack. Not everybody a prodigy like you guys

I gotta vent, sorry.
So I resubscribed to play with some friends who are playing the trial and one of them is driving me nuts. At first all he did was bitch about the early game quests and I told him just tough it out, the game gets good, then he got passed them and we were having fun and he was saying he was going to buy the game and that it was better than WoW. Now as soon as the cutscene that introduces the empire comes in he starts bitching about how they are just slapping sci-fi in (and I had already told him that magitek was in the game), then he complains about the story being terrible and I say "How would you know, you've been skipping all the cutscenes" and he says he's skipping them because it's bad, and now he says he doesn't think he cares about the game anymore because he has to play the story to go forward in the game... "WoW didn't make me do this."
Him not liking the story is one thing, that's fine, but him bitching that he has to actually play the story quests is driving me nuts.

PowerTaxi

Banned
I'm going to start tanking the expansion dungeons tonight. The hate I'll get is probably going to sustain me. Oh well, I have to learn somewhere.

On the subject of shitty players, I had a DRG only do ranged attacks every time I casted Shadowflare in Sohm Al. How do these people get to that point?

Edit: I should say I have done the pre 50 dungeons and some of the 50 ones as a tank but I am still new to it.

rukland

So due to wanting an MMO fix I picked up FF14 two days ago on a whim for my PC. Did not have high expectations at all and figured the free trial would be enough.

Yeah I was wrong less then 12 hours after I got the trial I have switched to a full account. This game is amazing and it is scratching all the right spots and thankfully is not just a WoW clone.

Starting my journey towards WHM and absolutely loving it. Can't wait to get done with work today to spend some more time with this.

I gotta vent, sorry.
So I resubscribed to play with some friends who are playing the trial and one of them is driving me nuts. At first all he did was bitch about the early game quests and I told him just tough it out, the game gets good, then he got passed them and we were having fun and he was saying he was going to buy the game and that it was better than WoW. Now as soon as the cutscene that introduces the empire comes in he starts bitching about how they are just slapping sci-fi in (and I had already told him that magitek was in the game), then he complains about the story being terrible and I say "How would you know, you've been skipping all the cutscenes" and he says he's skipping them because it's bad, and now he says he doesn't think he cares about the game anymore because he has to play the story to go forward in the game... "WoW didn't make me do this."
Him not liking the story is one that, that's fine, but him bitching that he has to actually play the story quests is driving me nuts.

tell him to play WoW then or drop the game.

Despite how I may sound in Mumble, I'm generally tolerant towards people learning a new role or new players etc. and try to help them get better.

The only issues that will have me on edge in a dungeon immediately are DRKs who haven't bothered to level other tanks, or even just GLD/PLD to get Provoke. It can make dungeons a real chore. I get you're learning a new class or role and you might have trouble initially establishing aggro but you're doing yourself no favours if you're running level 40-50 dungeons (or even something like Brayflox or Haukke) without Provoke. Not to mention the extra strain you're putting on healers because you don't have Convalescence or Foresight to use.

Then again there was that one 50+ minute AV I had yesterday where the PLD and AST kept dying to Coincounter. 6 wipes. I hate AV.

PowerTaxi

Banned
Despite how I may sound in Mumble, I'm generally tolerant towards people learning a new role or new players etc. and try to help them get better.

The only issues that will have me on edge in a dungeon immediately are DRKs who haven't bothered to level other tanks, or even just GLD/PLD to get Provoke. It can make dungeons a real chore. I get you're learning a new class or role and you might have trouble initially establishing aggro but you're doing yourself no favours if you're running level 40-50 dungeons (or even something like Brayflox or Haukke) without Provoke. Not to mention the extra strain you're putting on healers because you don't have Convalescence or Foresight to use.

Then again there was that one 50+ minute AV I had yesterday where the PLD and AST kept dying to Coincounter. 6 wipes. I hate AV.

I have those. The only skill I seem to be missing is Awareness according to a friend of mine.

tell him to play WoW then or drop the game.

Now he's just quietly playing the game "I need to get some wood for crafting..." I'm afraid that he's going to get the game and then friggin flip flop between enjoying the game and hating it every day and I don't know if I can handle that.
EDIT: Oh wait, he's already back to "Fuck this" mode.

I see many not good players, but not really many terrible players, and not good players you kinda expect in DF unless you have some insanely high standard, so I don't care. Most of the terrible players have been DPS, but there was one terrible WHM that made it impossible to finish Sohm Al. It was with a terrible machinist too, so that didn't help, but basically he couldn't do any of the typical things asked of a healer: aoe heal when aoe damage is applied, heal the tank up and dodge things. He could only do one of these things at a time. For the most part though, it's either people being kinda lazy about doing stuff, or just not very good/with a poor understanding of their class, but stuff still gets done.

I did get a weird group today though, with an AST that kept berating a bard because he was doing too low damage(not parser stuff but more like on the last boss of aerie he couldn't break me out of the thing and such) or was too slow to react to stuff. Meanwhile, the healer was awful. Not downright terrible, but he was pretty close. Kept messing up his cards, was in Nocturnal even though he wasn't making use of Aspected Benefic shield on the tank which is the only real point of the stance to begin with, kept getting hit by aoes, didn't cleric stance when he was dumping stupid amounts of mana on the adds that do no damage to anyone and more importantly, kept stopping to type shit at the bard, while everyone else wasn't topped off/he was sitting in aoes.

In general most Nocturnal AST have been pretty bad though. I don't really get the point of doing Nocturnal in 4man to begin with, it's not really much better than Diurnal for tank healing, and it's definitely terrible at aoe healing.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Now he's just quietly playing the game "I need to get some wood for crafting..." I'm afraid that he's going to get the game and then friggin flip flop between enjoying the game and hating it every day and I don't know if I can handle that.
EDIT: Oh wait, he's already back to "Fuck this" mode.
The game is clearly not for him so just tell him to drop it....unless he's some sort of masochistic tendencies and likes to torture himself with an experience he's not completely enjoying.

Jarate

Banned
Playing Tank will make you hate DPS

Especially when you take the time to label everything and they still attack the wrong thing

But my least favorite thing is when people dont ask for help on dungeons forcing us too wipe constantly on bosses. Just say, hey im new and people will explain the fights, idk why people refuse to ask for help.

Especially when you take the time to label everything and they still attack the wrong thing

This should only be an issue in the lower levelled dungeons where establishing aggro against DPS might be harder (if you're a PLD without any Oaths or Halone)

In higher level dungeons where you have all those cooldowns or stances or whatever you should have no problem keeping aggro on any mob, no matter what DPS is hitting what. Unless it's like a priority add with a hard-hitting AoE that you need to burst down that really isn't an issue. A minor annoyance at worst.

But yeah, in the lower level stuff that can be an issue.

I see many not good players, but not really many terrible players, and not good players you kinda expect in DF unless you have some insanely high standard, so I don't care. Most of the terrible players have been DPS, but there was one terrible WHM that made it impossible to finish Sohm Al. It was with a terrible machinist too, so that didn't help, but basically he couldn't do any of the typical things asked of a healer: aoe heal when aoe damage is applied, heal the tank up and dodge things. He could only do one of these things at a time. For the most part though, it's either people being kinda lazy about doing stuff, or just not very good/with a poor understanding of their class, but stuff still gets done.

I did get a weird group today though, with an AST that kept berating a bard because he was doing too low damage(not parser stuff but more like on the last boss of aerie he couldn't break me out of the thing and such) or was too slow to react to stuff. Meanwhile, the healer was awful. Not downright terrible, but he was pretty close. Kept messing up his cards, was in Nocturnal even though he wasn't making use of Aspected Benefic shield on the tank which is the only real point of the stance to begin with, kept getting hit by aoes, didn't cleric stance when he was dumping stupid amounts of mana on the adds that do no damage to anyone and more importantly, kept stopping to type shit at the bard, while everyone else wasn't topped off/he was sitting in aoes.

In general most Nocturnal AST have been pretty bad though. I don't really get the point of doing Nocturnal in 4man to begin with, it's not really much better than Diurnal for tank healing, and it's definitely terrible at aoe healing.
I find the shield useful enough for when fighting trash mobs, otherwise I don't use Diurnal.

Ralemont

not me
Is anyone else in the same boat as me and looking to do the last year's worth of dungeons to unlock High Level roulette? Specifically, I need Hullbreaker Isle to Amdapor Keep Hard. I'm leveling SCH so I could probably use the DF for those, but...

iammeiam

But my least favorite thing is when people dont ask for help on dungeons forcing us too wipe constantly on bosses. Just say, hey im new and people will explain the fights, idk why people refuse to ask for help.

Leveling PLD to 50 made me question the use of markers in any dungeon post-Halatali. After that point, AOE threat was generally pretty easy. I'm a terrible tank and I'm pretty sure I dropped using markers entirely after I got Halone; it never seemed much of a problem. And in the dungeons where it was an issue, I was fighting healers for hate roughly as often as DPS. Maybe I'll change my mind in six months when I decide to go for PLD 60, but I dunno.

IMBored

- An issue wherein the monk action “The Forbidden Chakra” and the astrologian action “Draw” cannot be queued immediately following the use of a weaponskill or spell.

Guess you were right Philip, welcome to queue fire arrow hell.

IvorB

Soooo last night I was doing my second run of Fractal Continuum and the tank got a bit too eager and locked one guy out of the boss fight. So we three-manned it with just me as the only DPS. I was pretty chuffed about it so I made a vid :). Personally I'm loving this new black mage gameplay. It's such a desperate struggle to keep everything under control with all the dodging and mechanics going on.

The game is clearly not for him so just tell him to drop it....unless he's some sort of masochistic tendencies and likes to torture himself with an experience he's not completely enjoying.

But when we were off questing and doing fates and shit yesterday he was having lots of fun and was saying it was way better that WoW.
I'm hoping he's just having a bad day or something.

MogCakes

Tanks are having a really hard time to understand that they're not overgeared anymore and that large pulls are not a great idea when you're not overgeared.

This! Had a WAR in neverreap decide he would chain pull mobs and was confused when the healer couldn't keep up with the damage. And it seems a lot of tanks are having slight insecurity problems about that and are moving around more as a result. As a DRG it's very annoying because I often position myself for a 4th tier skill only for the ADD to turn because the tank decided to move for no reason. Yeah, #DPSproblems and all that but it's annoying as hell. DRKs especially love to move around, maybe remnant from their DPS playstyles.

Xion_Stellar

But when we were off questing and doing fates and shit yesterday he was having lots of fun and was saying it was way better that WoW.
I'm hoping he's just having a bad day or something.
I had a friend like that I invited back in 2.4 and he liked the gameplay but he skipped every cutscene,mash the X button on any sort of dialogue and wasn't very invested in the game outside gameplay so he was just rushing to get to Lv.50 and as a result he wasn't having a lot of fun a dropped the game 3 months after (he didn't play too often and barely got to Lv.38) so I'm going to tell you right now since he is purposely not investing himself in the game completely he's going to have a bad time.

This! Had a WAR in neverreap decide he would chain pull mobs and was confused when the healer couldn't keep up with the damage. And it seems a lot of tanks are having slight insecurity problems about that and are moving around more as a result. As a DRG it's very annoying because I often position myself for a 4th tier skill only for the ADD to turn because the tank decided to move for no reason. Yeah, #DPSproblems and all that but it's annoying as hell. DRKs especially love to move around, maybe remnant from their DPS playstyles.

the reason I hate the positional requirement of the new skills lol. I feel like tanks are doing unnecessary movements in the new dungeons but it could just be normal

the reason I hate the positional requirement of the new skills lol. I feel like tanks are doing unnecessary movements in the new dungeons but it could just be normal
Sometimes I think its simply because for many fights tanks spend their lives glued to one spot so maybe its a bit freeing to them and its not like the healer will mind. Plus at the end of the day the tank is still doing their job right if they are keeping the mob's attention on them, positioning the mob so dps can get max deeps really isn't their problem honestly.

Sometimes I think its simply because for many fights tanks spend their lives glued to one spot so maybe its a bit freeing to them and its not like the healer will mind.

they gotta start thinking about their melee bros. also doesnt help that each boss in the new dungeon involves a lot of running around

Razzorn34

Are you watching what is being thrown at the tank? People want the tank to pull large packs to make things go faster, yet complain when he moves out of the 3745932 aoes thrown at him? I haven't met one healer that would appreciate you standing in those. This basically means you have to be constantly moving. The only time you can basically be glued to one spot is on bosses these days. Yeah, I bet it's a pain in the ass for DPS, but there isn't much else I can do about that.

Tanks are having a really hard time to understand that they're not overgeared anymore and that large pulls are not a great idea when you're not overgeared.

Noticed this too, and the tanks in question would get upset at DPS for not killing fast or the healer not keeping squishy tank up. People want to try their speedrun strats on new content.

I'm going to feel bad for new HW people when they run dungeons that aren't overgeared in a patch or two.

Yeah I am NOT a fan of pulling large packs of mobs as either a DPS or a tank in the new dungeons. Most of the people you see in Neverreap or Fractal are going to be new or undergeared so expecting the group as a whole to keep with plowing down packs of mobs is silly. If you're with a FC group, I don't care.

It's the same thing that happened with AK back at launch. I was not a fan of trash/sack pulls there either and was quite happy they nerfed the shit out of it.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Are you watching what is being thrown at the tank? People want the tank to pull large packs to make things go faster, yet complain when he moves out of the 3745932 aoes thrown at him? I haven't met one healer that would appreciate you standing in those. This basically means you have to be constantly moving. The only time you can basically be glued to one spot is on bosses these days. Yeah, I bet it's a pain in the ass for DPS, but there isn't much else I can do about that.

First off, whoa, we're not personally attacking you bro. Secondly, if you've been keeping up with the conversation, you'd know the context of what we're talking about.

Top Bottom