• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

iammeiam

I will say random unexpected DF Fractal speed run was more fun than most of my EXDRs, but then we were all decently geared so it went pretty smoothly.

It's all calculated with style points. Thankfully lalas don't count for that equation.

It is good they don't count us; with the rate at which sad catgirl 2.0 waifu disease is tearing through the mafia, GAF's rating would plummet.

We remain ever hopeful for a cure.

Playing Tank will make you hate DPS

Especially when you take the time to label everything and they still attack the wrong thing

But my least favorite thing is when people dont ask for help on dungeons forcing us too wipe constantly on bosses. Just say, hey im new and people will explain the fights, idk why people refuse to ask for help.

Tanks are having a really hard time to understand that they're not overgeared anymore and that large pulls are not a great idea when you're not overgeared.

Sometimes I think its simply because for many fights tanks spend their lives glued to one spot so maybe its a bit freeing to them and its not like the healer will mind. Plus at the end of the day the tank is still doing their job right if they are keeping the mob's attention on them, positioning the mob so dps can get max deeps really isn't their problem honestly.

This! Had a WAR in neverreap decide he would chain pull mobs and was confused when the healer couldn't keep up with the damage. And it seems a lot of tanks are having slight insecurity problems about that and are moving around more as a result. As a DRG it's very annoying because I often position myself for a 4th tier skill only for the ADD to turn because the tank decided to move for no reason. Yeah, #DPSproblems and all that but it's annoying as hell. DRKs especially love to move around, maybe remnant from their DPS playstyles.

A lot are having issues adjusting to being undergeared again. I've been getting multiple 2/3 dungeon queues in the Expert Roulette from impatient tanks who ditch on the last boss because the tank is still in i140 wearing full STR. If the healer can compensate for that, fine. Don't assume though, especially if people are gonna keep up with the whole complete silence throughout the entire run and unproportional anger at the first wipe.

Marking does develop some healthy habits amongst dps but most players are beyond learning the usefulness from it at this point. It's one thing losing enmity on multiple enemies because you're not using Overpower/Flash/WhateverthatannoyingDRKmoveis enough, it's quite another when a dps is going full HAM over that monster all the way over there that nobody other than him is paying attention to.

Then again---whatever. 160 Law for me each time for being patient with first timers. You do you I guess.

I don't know what to say on the positionals thing. The only time I've had trouble with it is when melee stack directly on top of me for some reason and I'm forced to spin the monster around. I'd prefer not to move at all.

The worst is activating Raw Intuition just as some asshole is about to cleave or cone-AOE. At least Awareness finally has some use for me.

Lagamorph

Reading some of these comments makes me never want to play Healer or Tank. You just get blamed for not everything with no quarter given for "I'm still learning this class".

Having said that, I can't stand when tanks don't mark targets, or only mark one of three/four so as the DPS you have to just wait and see which they attack first/next.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Reading some of these comments makes me never want to play Healer or Tank. You just get blamed for not everything with no quarter given for "I'm still learning this class".

The problem is there are a lot of healers/tanks that level through fates that don't really learn how to play their class.

I wish SE would have gated content behind guildhests which were less forgiving. This would have forced people to learn their role better than spamming fate parties and jumping into endgame content without a clue of the finer points of their job.

Sorian

Banned
I know LTTP but glad to see that it was an obvious bug that Ravana was destroying all the walls with his mid fight move. Tabris and Korra got their first kills last night (I think it was Korra's first kill, sorry if I'm wrong) and Ravana left up exactly one wall during that attempt. Nothing broken or damaged beforehand and I watched as everything shattered while I was trying to see where I was going to run after my float wore off. I felt like it was odd but I didn't comment on it since it really has no effect on the fight unless the tank can't keep Ravana mid for some reason.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I try to make most of assist targeting to keep track of what the tank is attacking. I also wait a few seconds for tank to get his bearings if it seems like my burst can steal aggro.

This is all from having tanked a lot in this and other games though.

(I was trying not to lose my temper when I had a tank that marked things 123 and then focused all his enmity generation on 2...)

Sometimes I shift my position in dungeons to group enemies close together but beyond that it's just dodging attacks. That should be the standard.

Having said that, I can't stand when tanks don't mark targets, or only mark one of three/four so as the DPS you have to just wait and see which they attack first/next.
Eh you get used to the pressure as a tank or healer and it entirely depends on the player behind the tank/healer. I'm a chill healer and have never yelled at the tank who doesn't know a fight or get hit by AoE. I just drop advice plus I know I'm not perfect either. I screw up a lot, I'm just really good at covering my screw ups. :)

You need to ERP at least once a week. Have you been keeping up?
Stole that rule from Balmung server? Except our's is once a day.

Are you watching what is being thrown at the tank? People want the tank to pull large packs to make things go faster, yet complain when he moves out of the 3745932 aoes thrown at him? I haven't met one healer that would appreciate you standing in those. This basically means you have to be constantly moving. The only time you can basically be glued to one spot is on bosses these days. Yeah, I bet it's a pain in the ass for DPS, but there isn't much else I can do about that.

I understand if it's for aoes, but in general even if there isnt aoe or just a regular pool, just seems like tanks are moving more than they should. I dont care about positionals in large pulls b/c the aoe rotation barely needs them

First thing I have discovered in the world of FFXIV is that I am the only bearded, balding muscular male giant in a sea of japanese female catpeople. There seem to be a few Gnomes running around too. Some things never change.

Ralemont

not me
Proud to be repping male elves. With my Justin Bieber haircut, I'm the most fly bish around.

Male elvaan: no bulge since 2003.

artsi

Can't wait to get to Heavensward content, these quests are starting to tire me out.

Wohoo you repelled a giant dragon invasion, what a great hero you are. Now hurry up and go see that this bookworm doesn't get eaten by mosquitos on his trip to the forest.

once could say the same about Lalas, though I'd be more inclined to call them rats than mice.
CIn6HzLUsAQusV8.jpg:orig

Proud to be repping male elves. With my Justin Bieber haircut, I'm the most fly bish around.

Male elvaan: no bulge since 2003.
Giraffes have no place to talk. Go back to being unloved along with the females Roes.

Razzorn34

I understand if it's for aoes, but in general even if there isnt aoe or just a regular pool, just seems like tanks are moving more than they should. I dont care about positionals in large pulls b/c the aoe rotation barely needs them

Yeah, I can't see any reason for people to be moving crazily on bosses unless the mechanics dictate it. I haven't leveled any 50+ DPS since HW release though, so I can't relate. I bet it has more to do with people who are just now picking up tanking.

xxczx

I don't mark targets, if its a low level and DPS are new and having problems then I will replace the skills I can't use with 1 and 2. Anything at 50 and over, people will have to live with it since I have no room on my hotbar. They either fight the same target and things go down quickly or not, i won't be loosing hate on any of them

Edit: Lets not forget the endless amount of bad DPS that walk first into a room of mobs and run completely away from me and then blame the tank for their death.

Dunan

Btw why it's always called DPS in english? I thought It stands for Damage per Second. Wouldn't be DD (Damage Dealer) make more sense? (in german we call them DD for example)

Damage Dealer makes perfect sense; "damage per second" is what the damage dealer's goal is. This is just one of what must number in the dozens: ordinary English words and phrases that do not mean what you would think they mean, or are used in bizarre senses, but are never acknowledged by MMO veterans who have long since gotten used to them and have no patience for people who can speak English but cannot speak MMO Jargon.

I can't see how it would be done, but I would really like to see this reformed somehow. Even making up new words is better than using familiar words in unintelligible ways, which only confuses people.

Sorian

Banned
Damage Dealer makes perfect sense; "damage per second" is what the damage dealer's goal is. This is just one of what must number in the dozens: ordinary English words and phrases that do not mean what you would think they mean, or are used in bizarre senses, but are never acknowledged by MMO veterans who have long since gotten used to them and have no patience for people who can speak English but cannot speak MMO Jargon.

I can't see how it would be done, but I would really like to see this reformed somehow. Even making up new words is better than using familiar words in unintelligible ways, which only confuses people.

Yes, we need jargon reform. Break down the language barriers!

Jarate

Banned
are people hating on C@s again, We're less prevalent now that we are generally replaced by Au Ra waifus, but that thinning of the herd is really nice

As one of the few awesome looking c@s in this game, I say hush with your prejudices!

Razzorn34

I don't mark targets, if its a low level and DPS are new and having problems then I will replace the skills I can't use with 1 and 2. Anything at 50 and over, people will have to live with it since I have no room on my hotbar. They either fight the same target and things go down quickly or not, i won't be loosing hate on any of them

So, let me get this straight. You don't mark things just because you don't feel the need to. But, you know you should be doing it...

If mobs can't be bursted down with AoE, you definitely should be marking them. You realize you are just slowing the group down and taking more damage for not doing it. Right?

Ferr986

First thing I have discovered in the world of FFXIV is that I am the only bearded, balding muscular male giant in a sea of japanese female catpeople. There seem to be a few Gnomes running around too. Some things never change.

Aren't Hyurs (humans) still the most used race? I dunno, I don't see that much diference. The only races underused are Elezen and Roes right now.

Reknoc

are people hating on C@s again, We're less prevalent now that we are generally replaced by Au Ra waifus, but that thinning of the herd is really nice

As one of the few awesome looking c@s in this game, I say hush with your prejudices!

I didn't hate m'qotes before but your use of "@" has made me do so.

Razzorn34

Female roes are like unicorns.

Not having an option of a somewhat feminine face kills it. Especially the nose options. All of the options are horrible. No matter what you do, you'll end up looking like a angry cross dressing dude with long hair and tits.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
You guys are a blight upon Eorzea and anything that's not a Hyur should be destroyed on the spot.

All hail the vanilla master race!

iammeiam

You guys are a blight upon Eorzia and anything that's not a Hyur should be destroyed on the spot.

All hail the vanilla master race!

I used to think Hyur was the most boring race, but then Au Ra happened. I'm not sure if the semi-interesting male designs compensate for the bland sameness of the females.

I used to think Hyur was the most boring race, but then Au Ra happened. I'm not sure if the semi-interesting male designs compensate for the bland sameness of the females.
Female Au Ra's appeal is in how dainty those girls are. Think Lala tanks are cute? Watch a Au Ra female tank in action.

creid

When I was a noob, doing my first run of AV long ago, someone explained to us that we should eat fruit after getting 3 stacks of poison. I remember spending half the fight complaining how stupid it is to use the word "stack" to mean "one part of a stack".

iammeiam

Female Au Ra's appeal is in how dainty those girls are. Think Lala tanks are cute? Watch a Au Ra female tank in action.

I have and was not impressed. It's like watching a reskinned Mi'qote tank. Although to be fair the tank was in actual tank gear and not a bikini. Maybe it's different if you can see their thigh scales.

The girls are terrible. They all have that blank stare.

They all look designed to be printed out and sold as dakimakura. Very factory-made or something.

Top Bottom