• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

scy

I will say random unexpected DF Fractal speed run was more fun than most of my EXDRs, but then we were all decently geared so it went pretty smoothly.

Pretty much all of my speedruns of new dungeons have been in DF and been fine. I had a 16 minute Neverreap the other day (DRK/AST/BLM/SMN) that I kind of wish was the norm for every run I ever do.

Having said that, I can't stand when tanks don't mark targets, or only mark one of three/four so as the DPS you have to just wait and see which they attack first/next.

Generally speaking, you just target the thing they actually pulled with Shield Lob / Tomahawk / Unmend | Plunge and then just down the rest in order of HP%. Besides that, almost every class in the game can benefit from spreading DoTs to multiple mobs (especially classes like Summoner) so it's not like you're just DPSing one target at a time to begin with.

Damage Dealer makes perfect sense; "damage per second" is what the damage dealer's goal is. This is just one of what must number in the dozens: ordinary English words and phrases that do not mean what you would think they mean, or are used in bizarre senses, but are never acknowledged by MMO veterans who have long since gotten used to them and have no patience for people who can speak English but cannot speak MMO Jargon.

I can't see how it would be done, but I would really like to see this reformed somehow. Even making up new words is better than using familiar words in unintelligible ways, which only confuses people.

Well, back in the day, "DD" was the acronym for "direct damage." Basically, classes that did their damage in actual bursts. Wizards, basically. "DoT" then for the damage over time ones. This was notable for classes who had options for both but better focusing on one or the other or when it mattered for whatever role in whatever fight was going on. So DPS was the umbrella term to apply to all the various classes.

It also helped that "DPS" went across language barriers far better back then as well.

Do the poses for Aura still have blank stares? I haven't even checked the /cposes yet.

I find that everyone has the blank stares unless you have something targeted. Then it looks better as the character's focus isn't on whatever is straight ahead.

CIogRjIWcAAnXWL.jpg:large

iammeiam

Pretty much all of my speedruns of new dungeons have been in DF and been fine. I had a 16 minute Neverreap the other day (DRK/AST/BLM/SMN) that I kind of wish was the norm for every run I ever do.

16 minutes?

Man did I level the wrong classes.

Reading some of these comments makes me never want to play Healer or Tank. You just get blamed for not everything with no quarter given for "I'm still learning this class".

Having said that, I can't stand when tanks don't mark targets, or only mark one of three/four so as the DPS you have to just wait and see which they attack first/next.

Haha I hadn't played since ARR. The chars I had at lvl 50 were war and pld. I don't mark anything because I've never done any of the dungeons or trials I'm forced to do while trying to clear out my story quests. In fact I just run around, grab multiple groups, and force the group to aoe... it's worked all the way till the expansion so far. I would mark if I had any idea what should die first, but I don't, so I just roll my face across my keyboard instead.

Rising_Hei

Haha I hadn't played since ARR. The chars I had at lvl 50 were war and pld. I don't mark anything because I've never done any of the dungeons or trials I'm forced to do while trying to clear out my story quests. In fact I just run around, grab multiple groups, and force the group to aoe... it's worked all the way till the expansion so far. I would mark if I had any idea what should die first, but I don't, so I just roll my face across my keyboard instead.
It doesn't work when you aren't overgeared.

Anyone remember when everyone was under ilvl70 in Amdapor Keep with no relic weapon?
There you also needed to mark because everything takes long and then DPS have to focus in the same target, with 2.1 that was no longer the case and it's been 1 years and half since that :/

What would help the blank stare thing is if there were idle animations for the head. So when you're standing around your character will look at random things that are around you.

Currently they just look ahead no matter what idle animation is playing. It's really weird when you notice that everyone is just looking straight ahead with no deviation. Contrast this with games where idle animations include head movement.

The animations in this game are pretty good considering what you usually see from MMO's, this is one small area that they could use some improvement in imo.

Au Ra females look like generic anime background characters

I wouldn't mind if they looked a little more demonic or different. The concept art looked pretty cool but I think they caved because of what they thought people would want IIRC.

In any event, I haven't seen any other Au Ra that look like mine so I guess I'm happy with it.

Reknoc

My Au Ra is the best Au Ra and maybe the best character in the game next to Aymeric. Glowing eyes are awesome, tails are awesome (even if they suck in this game) and horns are awesome. Never going to change... unless they add an Android race.

AgeEighty

It'd be neat if they'd program it so that when your character is standing neutrally, his or her irises wobble a little side to side, as if changing focus on different objects. That one small change would make them seem far less starey.

Dunan

Yes, we need jargon reform. Break down the language barriers!

I can also speak and read Japanese, and the Japanese jargon is much less confusing than the English (it's more "terminology" than "jargon"); for example, the "Tank" role is called the "shield role" (盾役), which makes it much clearer that the job is defense and not well-armored powerful offense, like the English word "tank" implies.

But when new players are resorting to reading their second language over their native one just to understand basic terms, it might be the terms, and not the players, that are at fault.

(And, unfortunately, the Japanese version is moving backwards: "Shield Role" and "healing role" have been replaced by タンク and ヒーラー in 3.0, which are just phonetic approximations of the English words "tank" and "healer". Patch notes, about 95% of the way down.))

When I was a noob, doing my first run of AV long ago, someone explained to us that we should eat fruit after getting 3 stacks of poison. I remember spending half the fight complaining how stupid it is to use the word "stack" to mean "one part of a stack".

This was my introduction to that bizarre usage of "stack" as well! I understood from context right away, but it was yet another bizarre mis-usage of an ordinary word. It doesn't help that "stack" also means "to gather together with other party members in one spot", and also the more traditional meaning of "can be added together", as in "the well-rested experience bonus stacks with the well-fed bonus".

Even MMO dictionary sites tend to focus on abbreviations and give no mention to shifts in usage like this.

When I first tried playing as a tank and leading parties, I made a point of always using normal English and keeping jargon and abbreviations to a minimum (though for rapid communication I occasionally used telegraph/newspaper headline-style omissions of words like "the", and typed in all lowercase). I got a lot of commendations, for whatever that's worth.

There are enough new concepts and unexpected ways in which you have to interact with the game (you have to press O/X twice to talk to an NPC? and in battle you target first, then select the action?). Confusing terminology, and a playerbase that seems to presume that everyone has already played many MMOs from other publishers, make this otherwise fantastic game harder to get into than it should be. And that's too bad, because FFXIV is well worth the investment.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I wouldn't mind if they looked a little more demonic or different. The concept art looked pretty cool but I think they caved because of what they thought people would want IIRC.

In any event, I haven't seen any other Au Ra that look like mine so I guess I'm happy with it.
Ditto. The original concept for female Aura looked great. It's too bad they didn't go with it due to the low amount of female Highlander and Roegadyn players.

Slathe

Thinking about picking up the expansion since everyone seems pretty positive on it. Played at release until 2.1, then came back around 2.4 for a few weeks to unlock all the new content.

Any idea how much is left quest wise between 2.4 and 3.0? What unlocks are there? Also anyone know how long gmg will keep the discounted expansion in the vip section?

A little torn because I'll be playing without my other friends who aren't interested in returning. Am on Cactaur.

I can also speak and read Japanese, and the Japanese jargon is much less confusing than the English (it's more "terminology" than "jargon"); for example, the "Tank" role is called the "shield role" (盾役), which makes it much clearer that the job is defense and not well-armored powerful offense, like the English word "tank" implies.

But when new players are resorting to reading their second language over their native one just to understand basic terms, it might be the terms, and not the players, that are at fault.

(And, unfortunately, the Japanese version is moving backwards: "Shield Role" and "healing role" have been replaced by タンク and ヒーラー in 3.0, which are just phonetic approximations of the English words "tank" and "healer". Patch notes, about 95% of the way down.))
In a way you could argue saying shield role could be confusing for super newbie people because Thaumaturge/Black Mages, Gladiators/Paladins and Conjurers/White Mages all use shields up until 50 where then Paladins become the only shield using job.

artsi

I've always heard people say タンクさん and ヒーラーさん in speech though, despite the official terms.

Baleoce

Btw why it's always called DPS in english? I thought It stands for Damage per Second. Wouldn't be DD (Damage Dealer) make more sense? (in german we call them DD for example)

Think it depends on the game community. I dont recall in FFXI anyone ever referring to monks etc as dps, they were dd's. You also didn't "lfg" "wtb" or "rez".

Squishy3

I find it funny the female Au Ra retainers are tsundere. They truly are anime. I should go look to see what the male Au Ra personality options are.

Every game I know DPS has always stood for damage per second, but I see DD/DPS both used in this game. Just depends on who it is.

AgeEighty

So who in the Lalafell mafia that runs the Saucer are you blackmailing to get that lucky?

Yeah, lucky to get two consecutive cards that have a 10K prize available. If there's one there, it's usually not too tough to sniff it out with the right strategy.

Then there are those lovely cards that have no prize larger than 108 mgp, with a ton of 72s and 36s.

Rising_Hei

Think it depends on the game community. I dont recall in FFXI anyone ever referring to monks etc as dps, they were dd's. You also didn't "lfg" "wtb" or "rez".

Those terms became trend with WOW i guess, then when WOW players moved into other MMOs...

Damage Dealer makes more sense than Damage Per Second -.-

Market prices on things like level 4 materia have completely bombed lol. These story and sidequests give them out like candy so the market is getting flooded with them.

suzu

Playing Tank will make you hate DPS

Especially when you take the time to label everything and they still attack the wrong thing

I was doing Sohm Al and the DRK would mark every damn group but, he still couldn't hold aggro on single targets or during aoe. D:

16 minutes?

Man did I level the wrong classes.

Generally, mine rarely take over 20 minutes if everybody is around 165+

When you get fresh DPS just off the story though---man those fights can drag. Doesn't matter the class either.

It also seems Neverreap and Fractal are even more punishing on players for not having high DPS as the fight goes on, much moreso than the old Wanderer's Palace and Amdapor Keep were. Tornados, squares, and knockoffs/mines get crazy. It's kind of funny given how much they went out of their way to undermine how people were speed-running dungeons before.

Baleoce

Those terms became trend with WOW i guess, then when WOW players moved into other MMOs...

Yup, and then all the dungeons get acronyms so dzemael darkhold is suddenly "dd" xD still getting used to rng not meaning ranger..

Zomba13

because people are weird. DD is the right term. i don't know when people started calling them DPS.

In FFXI it was always DD. Always Damage Dealer. Then come FFXIV all it is is DPS. I don't like the term but everyone uses it so I use it. That or deeps. You know, because I'm super funny.

Omnicent

Female roes are like unicorns.
Mythical beautiful creatures? My FemRoe approves.

Not having an option of a somewhat feminine face kills it. Especially the nose options. All of the options are horrible. No matter what you do, you'll end up looking like a angry cross dressing dude with long hair and tits.
You're doing it wrong. I'll post a pic of my FemRoe later. She defiantly does not look like a dude cross-dressing (also short hair is > long hair on FemRoe imo).

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
First thing I have discovered in the world of FFXIV is that I am the only bearded, balding muscular male giant in a sea of japanese female catpeople. There seem to be a few Gnomes running around too. Some things never change.
The Roe race as a whole is both underrated and underused.
The girls are terrible. They all have that blank stare.
Agreed, that and I find their emotions to either be lacking or animu'd up to 11. At least the cat people have character. I shuddered when a person in my FC suggested they add another tailed race.
They wanted fox people.
If you're trying to roleplay Sonic, sure.
I was gonna say they all look like Goku and Akuma's bastard lovechildren.

Agreed, Roe is the only race to me. I don't like the look of any others and it saddens me that we're so rare. I was in a Neverreap run yesterday with 3 Roes and it was great. We were totally broing it out.

Anyway, here's big beef Korbel.

18709037903_80c71777f9_o.jpg

Razzorn34

No... most of the terms people use today were popularized well before WoW was around. Many came from Everquest and Ultima Online.

The DPS acronym is one of the few that originated with WoW. Damage Meters being so prevalent caused that trend.

Zomba13

Agreed, that and I find their emotions to either be lacking or animu'd up to 11. At least the cat people have character. I shuddered when a person in my FC suggested they add another tailed race.
They wanted fox people.

I was gonna say they all look like Goku and Akuma's bastard lovechildren.

Au Ra can be any of your favourite Animu characters! We have Sanic, Goku, Vegetable! All of them! You can even be a super saiyan god super saiyan god super saoyan!

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
The biggest problem with Roegadyn is how some of the textures get stretched on their armors. Some of the scaling is strange too. The sleeves on the buttwings made female roegadyn arms look much bigger than they were and were awfully close to clipping into the chest piece.

Top Bottom