• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Dunan

I've always heard people say タンクさん and ヒーラーさん in speech though, despite the official terms.

I've heard them too (probably slightly more often than the Japanese words), but it was comforting to remember that the official terms were the clearer ones. I also heard アタッカー ("attacker") for the DPS role, which was also very clear.

I even heard the developers use "proc" (I never would have guess that this came from "programmed random occurrence") in an interview. The Japanese word 追加効果 ("additional effect"), which I think was the only term used in the official 2.0 guidebook, is so much clearer!

Those terms became trend with WOW i guess, then when WOW players moved into other MMOs...

Damage Dealer makes more sense than Damage Per Second -.-

I wonder how manyf FFXIV players have previously played WoW or some other MMO. When I first started this game with the beta, it felt like it was every one of them, except me.

If I were more talented at this game I would talk using time-honored Square/FF magic names like "Fira" for "Fire 2" and let the WoW people be confused for once!

scy

No... most of the terms people use today were popularized well before WoW was around. Many came from Everquest and Ultima Online.

The DPS acronym is one of the few that originated with WoW. Damage Meters being so prevalent caused that trend.

DPS was a thing we used even back in EQ, DAoC, FFXI, etc. days. WoW definitely popularized it, however, but I'd say that was more just ... more people being around rather than anything else.

LegatoB

If I were more talented at this game I would talk using time-honored Square/FF magic names like "Fira" for "Fire 2" and let the WoW people be confused for once!
It sorta bugs me that they went back to Fire II, etc. for the English version of FF14, especially since a lot of the "higher number" spells serve pretty different functions from their lower-level versions.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
They have the best beard option. ITS NOT FAIR.

FULL BEARDS FOR ALL
As a whole I'd really like to see more hairs added and shared universally, but I understand with the latter that they don't want to ruin the individuality of each race.
Agreed, Roe is the only race to me. I don't like the look of any others and it saddens me that we're so rare. I was in a Neverreap run yesterday with 3 Roes and it was great. We were totally broing it out.

Anyway, here's big beef Korbel.

18709037903_80c71777f9_o.jpg
Nice. I've only ever been paired with 3 Miqo's and stuck out like a tall thumb.
Au Ra can be any of your favourite Animu characters! We have Sanic, Goku, Vegetable! All of them! You can even be a super saiyan god super saiyan god super saoyan!
lol

Armaros

I've heard them too (probably slightly more often than the Japanese words), but it was comforting to remember that the official terms were the clearer ones. I also heard アタッカー ("attacker") for the DPS role, which was also very clear.

I even heard the developers use "proc" (I never would have guess that this came from "programmed random occurrence") in an interview. The Japanese word 追加効果 ("additional effect"), which I think was the only term used in the official 2.0 guidebook, is so much clearer!

I wonder how manyf FFXIV players have previously played WoW or some other MMO. When I first started this game with the beta, it felt like it was every one of them, except me.

Because of how powerful the FF IP is, FFXIV was always going to attract people new to the MMO genre.

Most other new MMOs are mainly comprised of transplanted vets generally.

Eldren

Giraffes have no place to talk. Go back to being unloved along with the females Roes.

:(

Actually I'm sure I've been seeing more FemRoes since Heavensward launched. Maybe it's just my imagination but there were 4 of us at the retainer bell in Ishgard the other day, I think that's the most I've ever seen in one place. Except that one time that Roe-only LS invited me to run Syrcus Tower, that was a lot of fun.

Mythical beautiful creatures? My FemRoe approves.

You're doing it wrong. I'll post a pic of my FemRoe later. She defiantly does not look like a dude cross-dressing (also short hair is > long hair on FemRoe imo).

I love the short hair, it's so nice. I might take a pic later too, try to balance out all these inferior races.

Anyway, I did Ravana (story) last night and it was really fun.
I'm still not entirely used to Gauss Barrel yet and I was so focused on not screwing up the fight itself that I completely forgot to use Gauss Round...oops.
I'm finally going to unlock flying in the Forelands today, I'm excited.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I have an idea to bring Square-Enix into economic prosperity.

Butt Sliders on the FFXIV Store for $10!

A far more devious option would be butt sliders for $4 a month. If you stop paying your butt deflates.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I have an idea to bring Square-Enix into economic prosperity.

Butt Sliders on the FFXIV Store for $10!

A far more devious option would be butt sliders for $4 a month. If you stop paying your butt deflates.
Can the servers handle expanded butts?

Dunan

Because of how powerful the FF IP is, FFXIV was always going to attract people new to the MMO genre.

Most other new MMOs are mainly comprised of transplanted vets generally.

I was actually wondering why, given how big Final Fantasy is, the developers seemed to not have confidence in their own established conventions for naming roles and spells and the like. In abandoning words like "Curaga" and "Fira" and importing WoW/other-MMO jargon wholesale, they seemed to be actively favoring players of other MMOs over long-time players of their previous games.

Tiops

My biggest issue with Roes are their legs. I can't take them seriously with those short legs, it looks ridiculous with some armors. Female Roes don't have the same issue.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I was actually wondering why, given how big Final Fantasy is, the developers seemed to not have confidence in their own established conventions for naming roles and spells and the like. In abandoning words like "Curaga" and "Fira" and importing WoW/other-MMO jargon wholesale, they seemed to be actively favoring players of other MMOs over long-time players of their previous games.

You never played the original US releases of FF1, FF4, FF6, and FF7?

Sorian

Banned

2 much conspiracy for me.

iammeiam

I'm not sure how Fire 1, Fire 2, Fire 3, etc favor veteran MMO players. It's an odd choice, but not one that has anything I can think of to do with playing favorites.

aceface

To the contrary, the use of Fire 1, Fire 2 etc. brings me back to the original translations for the snes games. I never liked -a and -aga because I can never remember what the stronger one is.

It doesn't work when you aren't overgeared.

Anyone remember when everyone was under ilvl70 in Amdapor Keep with no relic weapon?
There you also needed to mark because everything takes long and then DPS have to focus in the same target, with 2.1 that was no longer the case and it's been 1 years and half since that :/

Hrm, I was nearly ilvl90 before 2.1. I would only mark the summoning mobs and only if I was there with random people... I definitely was doing the same thing before I quit.

Maybe now that I'm to expansion content the story quests won't over gear me for everything... because it definitely did for the old content.

Teknoman

To the contrary, the use of Fire 1, Fire 2 etc. brings me back to the original translations for the snes games. I never liked -a and -aga because I can never remember what the stronger one is.

Final Fantasy: More letters added always equal strongest. Imagine if we had access to Ultima though.

Ultima, Ultimaga, Ultimamagaagaga

On a serious note, I still like the early 1 2 and 3 style magic names.

Also Antdot.

Zomba13

I much prefer at -ara -aga stuff because it just seems cooler than calling a spell ____ 2 or 3. I get for clarity though calling something 2 or 3 implies it's level 2 or 3 of that spell and thus stronger and it goes back to the old translations but I still prefer the something like Thunder, Thundara, Thundaga.

I like the other style better, like Cure > Cura > Curaga > Curagaragara.

Sometimes i wish though that Squeenix went their own direction with the combat instead of going more towards something that's similar to WoW.

IIRC FFXI's combat was pretty different and so was the early stages of FFXIV although that one didn't seem to be as well received.

Sorian

Banned
I like the other style better, like Cure > Cura > Curaga > Curagaragara.

Sometimes i wish though that Squeenix went their own direction with the combat instead of going more towards something that's similar to WoW.

IIRC FFXI's combat was pretty different and so was the early stages of FFXIV although that one didn't seem to be as well received.

FFXIV 1.0 was pure garbage. I mean, if they had been able to make a new battle system that was better I'm sure I would have been on board but they failed the first time.

Dunan

You never played the original US releases of FF1, FF4, FF6, and FF7?

I did play those and don't really mind that usage at all -- it's certainly more intuitive. But then they made the decision to be closer to the Japanese originals, and everyone got used to that. And I thought that these days most FF players got their start with the newer games.

Amid other changes that seemed to cater to non-FF, other-MMO fans, it felt wrong. I'd gladly retract if Koji Fox (or someone) confirmed that it was for ease of understanding in general and not eas of understanding for people who were coming over from other MMOs.

iammeiam

Amid other changes that seemed to cater to non-FF, other-MMO fans, it felt wrong. I'd gladly retract if Koji Fox (or someone) confirmed that it was for ease of understanding in general and not eas of understanding for people who were coming over from other MMOs.

You've still not explained how this labeling accomplishes anything for MMO vets. If anything it's counterintuitive, as Fire 2 and Blizzard 2 are AOEs in a number chain of single-target spells. And the 2 doesn't mean AOE universally--Aero 2, Stone 2, Thunder 2 are all single target. The numbers are meaningless and don't tell you much about what the spell actually does.

Vanethyr

Before I take the plunge and transfer to Ultros, are there any UK members of Gather Against Fate that can vouch for what it's like during our peak times? Be it for Duties, FATEs, general population, or whatever.

suzu

Cure for single target. Curaga for aoe. Add numbers (Cure 2 / Curaga 2). Ignore the spell names that end in -ra (Cura).

I did play those and don't really mind that usage at all -- it's certainly more intuitive. But then they made the decision to be closer to the Japanese originals, and everyone got used to that. And I thought that these days most FF players got their start with the newer games.

Not even sure what you're arguing for anymore. It sounds like you're comparing genre specific terminology with game specific naming conventions. Two totally separate things. If I told someone who never played FF14 but played other mmos that 'I threw an aoe dot up on some mobs that proced a self-heal which crit and pulled aggro from the tank' they'd know exactly what I meant. But if I said 'I cast hamalama on a zumibumi and gained blessed blade of the windseeker effect allowing me to reach full enmity" I'm sure they'd be lost while an actual player of the game would be like 'sweet.'

You can't stop the mmo community from applying well known terminology to a game just because it's from a certain franchise. I should add FF14 already tries to differentiate itself a bit with shit like potency and enmity.

Final Fantasy: More letters added always equal strongest. Imagine if we had access to Ultima though.

Ultima, Ultimaga, Ultimamagaagaga

On a serious note, I still like the early 1 2 and 3 style magic names.

Also Antdot.

Ultimaradiogaga. Freddie Mercury appears on the battlefield and belts out his high F causing enemies to literally shatter.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
If anything I'd say the spell names imply that things like Spell 3 should be used over Spell 1, which is why you get Leveling BLMs still learning the job spamming Fire 3 and Blizzard 3

iammeiam

As I understand it, the DRK bug drains MP in the client's mind, but not the server, so you get it all back every time the server ticks. The only time it should be a real issue is if you get buffed so much your MP drops too low to use a skill until the next server refund tick, since the client's MP count determines whether or not you can use the skill.

I did about 12 Bismark EX last night, with the WHM never letting up on the regen, and its dam near imperceptible.

Its something that you read about and sounds way worse than it is.

I tanked Sohm Al last night and the difference was night and day. I couldn't keep Darkside up with an AST healing. I was constantly at 0 mana between cooldowns. I wasn't using any Dark Arts either.

FFXIV 1.0 was pure garbage. I mean, if they had been able to make a new battle system that was better I'm sure I would have been on board but they failed the first time.

Yeah, it's unfortunate that it was such a major dud but that makes me wonder where we would be if that didn't happen as well.

Would the game be as successful as it is now? Would we even be playing this expansion?

Probably not.

I wonder what direction the first version of FFXIV would have went in if it was successful (and actually a good game that didn't require a remake).

Dunan

Cure for single target. Curaga for aoe. Add numbers (Cure 2 / Curaga 2). Ignore the spell names that end in -ra (Cura).

This might be a good way to do it. Or instead of using different words for just about the same effect (Cure and Physick) they could have taken the alternate word to be the AoE version.

And Tomat, I was one of those BLMs until Dzemael Darkhold when someone finally clued me in -- I had no idea that repeated uses of Fire 1 were more efficient than using Fire 3. The Thaumaturge/Black Mage class really is filled with unintuitive things like this. Conjurer was much easier to pick up, and tanking as a Gladiator was so new and different that I had no preconceptions to mess with learning the class.

Zomba13

Before I take the plunge and transfer to Ultros, are there any UK members of Gather Against Fate that can vouch for what it's like during our peak times? Be it for Duties, FATEs, general population, or whatever.

UK player here, it's fine during our peak times.

fedexpeon

Banned
I am glad that FF14 has reduced the gear grind.
Everything is so easy to get gear...except for hunts.
Any tip on that crap? I am never on time or know where to go for A Hunts since they are so spread out.

Ken

I am glad that FF14 has reduced the gear grind.
Everything is so easy to get gear...except for hunts.
Any tip on that crap? I am never on time or know where to go for A Hunts since they are so spread out.

Find multiple hunt LS.
Try to get into parties that stick around for an entire A train and be fed info and teleports.
Have flight in all new zones.
Know the maps.

Getting the hunt calls ASAP is the most important. If you can't do that during prime time don't even bother.

Top Bottom