• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

WolvenOne

>Casual friendly
>Encourages hunt parties
>Encourages statics farming Alex Normal efficiently
>Requires 1 star crafts from every crafting class
>Estimates of several weeks to a month to complete grind step playing every day
>Casual friendly

I can't even with you sometimes.

The causal part of anima is getting the Awoken Eso weapon because it glows and it takes relatively little time to achieve something cool.

I'm not staying with most hunt parties long term, not joining Alex Normal farm parties, mostly leaning on crafter friends of mine the HQ crafted materials, I'm mostly doing this solo like most casual players would, and I'm well ahead of the bulk of people I know doing this.

Really, while there are a few odd oversights here and there, you mostly just have to play the game to get your gear. The grind may be long, but there's no real big skill requirement necessary, so that strikes me as being a mostly casual friendly grind.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
The wires buzz that those guys have been done with the game for a long time now. Surprising it took them so long to come out and say it. And it's probably nothing to do with the state of the game.

Jayhawk

Maybe Elysium team Updog will play Black Desert and help docbon and I with siege elephants and our whaling ships. I want to max my whaling skill.

Why would you want to encourage people to play new content!? Look at how much old content there is to play!!!!!!

Guess what was your point, which is something that is problematic about this relic step.

I mean, I see things from the following perspective:

1. The alternative to getting a weapon at the highest possible level only otherwise obtained through the hardest content in the game ... gasp... actually takes effort. Relic has and always will be meant as a dangling carrot for the masses to have a piece of the dream of having "elite/special" content that they otherwise could never obtain. They are never going to make any step of any relic phase other than the last "celebratory" phase even remotely easy and not time consuming. It's purpose is to 1) keep you playing/subbing and 2) take long enough for the average person to last until next content update and 3) Maximize the utility of existing content by repurposing it to make it relevant. It may be lazy as hell, but its better than offering nothing on their end.

2. This relic step seems to be so poorly designed in that it relies heavily on ARR 2.0-2.55 content as much as it does on HW 3.0 content that it feels like a slap in the face to ask for them to come up with original activities to do on each relic step.

3. It's finally starting to seep in that like every other MMO out there, there is a peak with creativity/content. ARR hit its peak earlier because it's not a new MMO, it's the rebuild of a shitty, broken ass MMO that launched 6 years ago that nearly killed off an entire development team, and under probably the harshest scrutiny imaginable, a new team not only salvaged the train wreck, they made it very good and incredibly fun/addicting. But it was never, ever going to last.

ARR will have a shorter lifespan than XI or WoW in terms of being a very active game. Because it appears that the dev team blew all their CDs on getting ARR right and used their strongest content/ideas from the get-go. What we're seeing now is the dev team hitting fatigue and unable to continue to patch cycle we enjoyed in ARR. By trying to hit that same window, we're seeing them have to cut corners or re-use old stuff. And considering how much development is going on at Square Enix these days, who even knows what capacity the XIV team is at anymore.

At this moment with how things are, I fully expect this game to be near death by 5.0...if it makes it that far.

Savage claims Team Updog, apparently

Elysium will continue a shell of its former self, tho, looks like?

RIP in Peace to those guys; forever greatful for Team USA making Asami a lala that one time.

Two members announced they were retiring from XIV progression a week or so ago, and I heard some people predicting then that the team would be disbanding soon or rebuilding at some point. From the sound of everything, World First competitive raiding sounds horrible. It sounds just like competitive eSports, which also sounds equally horrible. You kill your love of a game by burning yourself out under the conditions you have to play in order to remain competitive. If that's what you find interesting and passionate about, all the power to you. To me, I would never want to subject myself to an activity that could possibility harm/damage a big part of my life that I want to continue to enjoy as long as I can.

Edit: Holy shit, their writing totally sounds like PR fluff. Angary, I think you have to step up your PR game...

WolvenOne

antoniobanderas.gif

Such as not adding Allied Marks to HW area hunts, not making Relic tokens purchasable with more currencies. Neither of these oversights are grind breaking, you can certainly get these done plenty fast without these. They might have made the relic grind a bit more well balanced and enjoyable however.

So yes, they're odd little oversights. Unless you mean to say that you wanted the Relic to be something "It never has been and was never really intended to be." Then sure, much bigger oversight there. 9_9;;

Ken

Such as not adding Allied Marks to HW area hunts, not making Relic tokens purchasable with more currencies. Neither of these oversights are grind breaking, you can certainly get these done plenty fast without these. They might have made the relic grind a bit more well balanced and enjoyable however.

So yes, they're odd little oversights. Unless you mean to say that you wanted the Relic to be something "It never has been and was never really intended to be." Then sure, much bigger oversight there. 9_9;;

I don't know if it's oversight when they're able to get people doing vanilla hunts without actually changing anything about them.

What other currencies are there for Relic Tokens? MGP? Aesthetician Tickets? Don't say wolf marks cause you accumulate that slow as snails.

WolvenOne

I don't know if it's oversight when they're able to get people doing vanilla hunts without actually changing anything about them.

What other currencies are there for Relic Tokens? MGP? Aesthetician Tickets?

Wolf Marks would've been nice, probably not a very quick method considering those queue times, but nice. Hunts aren't too much of an oversight, but I'm definitely noticing people swarming the ARR hunts, while the HW hunts are going much longer before being pulled and whatnot.

aceface

I think you did them after a FATE rate bump and a price reduction in book cost? Or the tomes were so ridiculously prevalent it was effectively a pricecut.

Basically doing post-nerf atma and not understanding why pre-nerf people hated atma.

Oh I understand why people hated them. There were some people I can remember who didn't bother for quite awhile even after those nerfs.

Wilsongt

There seem to be a number of people who were no-lifing earlier relic steps who took the 'fuck this shit' approach to devoting time and energy this step, though. There are a million ways to grind it out and every single one is tedious. Books were the previous most reviled step in relic progression, and they're starting this relic off with one that seems to be just as hated. Given where the game is content wise it was a really bad time for this step.

It's why I'm curious to see how this works out long-term; I'll toss law and poetics at it as I accrue them but that's about the extent of the effort I'm willing to put into it at this point. By the time the relic becomes super relevant to me I fully expect some kind of nerf to these steps.

Plus, seriously, they can't toss Precision Gordian items into Savage? Like, one item a week on lockout per floor would be an unfair advantage? pls.

True story: Book phase is the only reason I am not doing another relic from scratch even though it is super easy right now. They nerfed the one part that wasn't even a problem. Fates were always the bane of Animus books, not the mobs.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
True story: Book phase is the only reason I am not doing another relic from scratch even though it is super easy right now. They nerfed the one part that wasn't even a problem. Fates were always the bane of Animus books, not the mobs.

FATEs were indirectly nerfed when they adjusted the timers. It's not hard anymore, just tedious.

Wilsongt

FATEs were indirectly nerfed when they adjusted the timers. It's not hard anymore, just tedious.

Which is annoying because you can grind through mobs dungeons and leves easy and then you come to a halt as you wait for fates. I suppose you can grind for alexandrite in the meantime.

Critical Elk

Neo Member
Oh now you're just being silly! People still wipe in A4N from time to time, and with a group with good gear that should be really hard to do! A3N isn't too bad, I'll grant you that, but A4N wrecks people all the time! There's a reason that the two turns I'm working hardest to bypass are A4N.

I'm 5.5 seeds in and I've seen like maybe five or six wipes. To clear A4S you need one healer that can heal through perpetual ray, and two dps who can handle dolls. A4N is basically the easiest of the four to farm. Zone in an 5-7 minutes later you have a shaft, no boring adds or running through a steam maze involved.

Yes, a group of 7 new people will wipe. Much more often than not, though, the majority of people have awoken's and are farming shafts. I've seen new player bonus once. In 55 runs.

Meanwhile asami wiped on faust the other night. Df'er gonna df'er regardless of content.

Jayhawk

I'm 5.5 seeds in and I've seen like maybe five or six wipes. To clear A4S you need one healer that can heal through perpetual ray, and two dps who can handle dolls. A4N is basically the easiest of the four to farm. Zone in an 5-7 minutes later you have a shaft, no boring adds or running through a steam maze involved.

Yes, a group of 7 new people will wipe. Much more often than not, though, the majority of people have awoken's and are farming shafts. I've seen new player bonus once. In 55 runs.

Meanwhile asami wiped on faust the other night. Df'er gonna df'er regardless of content.

Where are those Felix carries for bonus tomes?

Kenai

I don't even know what "casual friendly" means in this game anymore. =x

"Lack of skill required" I guess, since while incredibly boring, that's the only thing stopping one besides time. You don't need to actually play very well, just keep playing.

I am at close to 10 items and all I did was log in/do my DR and Beastman dailies (and I guess I had capped points from before on a few things).

Valor

That's not a ninja

That's motherfucking deadpool

Two swords, cool mask, devil may care attitude. I possess at least two of those three things. If only I were as handsome as Ryan Reynolds, I would be Deadpool incarnate. Minus the... you know... full body scarring...

BLCKATK

So live letter tomorrow morning... I should be up lol

I'm looking forward to seeing what they have in store for 3.2. I'm hoping we get to see some Training Hall footage.

Of course I'd love to hear some words about the future of the game and some clarity from the dev team on their goals moving forward, but I'll keep my expectations in check.

Wilsongt

I'm looking forward to seeing what they have in store for 3.2. I'm hoping we get to see some Training Hall footage.

Of course I'd love to hear some words about the future of the game and some clarity from the dev team on their goals moving forward, but I'll keep my expectations in check.

One new dungeon, and Lost City hard.

The person complaining most vehemently isn't playing the game anymore, and hasn't been for a while. Unknown Soldier has moved on to Blade and Soul, and back when he played FF14 he would lounge around in a skimpy outfit as a catgirl. So honestly, it's pretty obvious what aspects of the games he really cares about.

I see. So you don't actually know anything about me or how I play games. You can keep thinking whatever it is you want to think, I don't actually care. But you're pretty hilariously wrong about what I did and didn't do in FFXIV when I played it. The fact that you form opinions of people by what outfits they put on their characters says more about you than it does about me. I bet you probably judge people by their GAF avatars too.

Also I haven't moved on to anything, BnS was fun in the betas but I'm very ambivalent about picking up another MMO. I really want to be done with the genre forever, because I know what BnS is like at endgame seeing as how it's been out for years in Korea and I just don't know if I have another long grind in me. The Lyns are cute though. :3

rip elysium

Apparently a few of them are heading for BnS. I look forward to seeing them do impossible things in that game too. The gameplay in endgame PvE and PvP is extremely hardcore if you want to be competitive, I don't know if I'll play it but I think I would really enjoy watching the PvP in BnS Worlds that they are planning for next year.

dramatis

I see. So you don't actually know anything about me or how I play games. You can keep thinking whatever it is you want to think, I don't actually care. But you're pretty hilariously wrong about what I did and didn't do in FFXIV when I played it. The fact that you form opinions of people by what outfits they put on their characters says more about you than it does about me. I bet you probably judge people by their GAF avatars too.
Aren't you salty. I can certainly judge you by the content of the junk you post.
Am I the most adorable Lyn NA~
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/34897419/xmaslyn2.jpg
I really hope they will make these Christmas costumes available at launch...
Well, there isn't that much point to leveling up more in this beta since all characters and progress will be wiped tomorrow.

So I did this instead:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoUrnKd43m0

Special thanks to YG and PSY for letting me use their music without muting my audio track <3
You played Elin race in Tera too, and was very proud of it. Loli fox girl in short skirt with a low top in one MMO, loli skimpily-dressed bunny girl in another MMO. It's not hard to connect the dots.

What you do by making waifu doll characters that you dress up in scanty clothing says a lot about you. Trying to make yourself into a victim because someone else criticizes your proclivities is pretty hilarious. Saying you don't care is even funnier considering I made that post like two days ago (?) and you came just to reply to it.

"The Lyns are cute though. :3" Mmhmm, bye felicia

Squishy3

0044.gif

kurahador

Gahh...I fucked up. I want to get EU version from that bundle, but HB seems to consider I'm in US due to my payment option. Now I'm stuck with US key. Anyone willing to trade with their EU key?
I need to be free of this Steam curse.

EDIT
yess!! good riddance steam.

Tabris

The fact that you form opinions of people by what outfits they put on their characters says more about you than it does about me. I bet you probably judge people by their GAF avatars too.

I 100% judge you for your avatar.

Do you not expect people to do that?

Ken

Elin were good though. Lynn are a little weird since toothpick limbs, but IllyLynn's face is pretty kawaii desu.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
People that bitch in PVP make me seethe as they just blame the entire team and don't offer an ounce of advice or an alternative strategy.

docbon

I wish B&S had the aesthetics of Black Desert.

Game plays so good but the player created characters look like they crawled out of R'lyeh.

BLCKATK

I wish B&S had the aesthetics of Black Desert.

Game plays so good but the player created characters look like they crawled out of R'lyeh.

Yeah I agree with you there.

I spent some time with the game recently and I was enjoying how it played, but I really don't enjoy the artstyle too much... or how characters look.. or how they act... or how the gear looks.

That ended up making a huge impact on my enjoyment of the game.

Top Bottom