• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

TalonJH

Yeah, honestly considering how many times I get the new player bonus, (at least once daily, usually 3-4 times daily,) it's pretty obvious that new players are still entering the game. It's the long time player base that's thinning out some, and some of that is inevitable.

Ran a story roulette last night and got into Castrum Meridianum. Was surprised to see at lest a quarter of the 8 players entering for the first time.

Sadly they were left out of a couple fights when they tried to watch cutscenes and one tank wasn't having it. I kind of felt bad for them.

scy

(seriously--Alena's lag is so bad he doesn't have to sprint to set off two Regulators which is nuts to me)

I think he literally just walked through whenever too. Need to see if he can sprint through all 6, the dream!

But none of these are one-off errors that doom your run to failure.

Yup. We did weeks of Damage Down clears or random deaths. One of our first really good pulls through the entire final phase was solo tanked. If it doesn't outright end the fight instantly, it's not a wipe. Just a good mentality in general to have for progression.

And no, even with both players sitting absolutely still it can still take the servers a moment to transfer that tether from one player to another. It drives me nutty whenever it happens, but next time I'm in I'm going to try to compensate by positioning myself at a thinner part of the Proteon Wave, or where I think it's going to be rather.

You can try to pop an oGCD to force the server to update (or, assuming the boss is near the middle still here, keep hitting him). But failing that, where exactly are you standing for this pick-up? You know when it occurs and where it spawns. There's little reason to not be in front of it and with the group spread out in a way that there's only two spots near the puddle you would even have to go to.

WolvenOne

I think he literally just walked through whenever too. Need to see if he can sprint through all 6, the dream!

Yup. We did weeks of Damage Down clears or random deaths. One of our first really good pulls through the entire final phase was solo tanked. If it doesn't outright end the fight instantly, it's not a wipe. Just a good mentality in general to have for progression.

You can try to pop an oGCD to force the server to update (or, assuming the boss is near the middle still here, keep hitting him). But failing that, where exactly are you standing for this pick-up? You know when it occurs and where it spawns. There's little reason to not be in front of it and with the group spread out in a way that there's only two spots near the puddle you would even have to go to.

I've been trying to stand about an explosions length from the nearest party member *usually a bit more,* so that all I have to do is pick up the tether and walk forward without the risk of blowing up a party member. I'm gonna try standing a bit closer to the party so I don't have to walk as far to get out of Proteon after picking up the tether. Hopefully I either have time to get a bit more distance from the party after I'm out, or everyone else will have the good sense to move away until after the explosion.

scy

I mean ... based off the sound of that, you're going to the party? Your goal for Drainage is grabbing it from the puddle, not the player.

WolvenOne

I mean ... based off the sound of that, you're going to the party? Your goal for Drainage is grabbing it from the puddle, not the player.

We're trying to bait it so that the tether goes to me, but usually the party stack is loose enough that it goes to somebody else and I have to pick it up.

Currently, I've been standing closer to the Tornado that spawns the tether, which puts me into one of the thicker portions of the Proteon AoE marker. I'm thinking about trying to move closer to the party so that I'm in one of the thinner portions of the Proteon Aoe.

Jayhawk

Do I have to unlock a quest in the mythical Ishgarde to find the raid boss that does Embolis?

Currently, I've been standing closer to the Tornado that spawns the tether, which puts me into one of the thicker portions of the Proteon AoE marker. I'm thinking about trying to move closer to the party so that I'm in one of the thinner portions of the Proteon Aoe.

Or the party can bait where the wave will be so it's not an issue?

scy

decided that playing another pvp game was better than trying to fix pvp in his game

this is why I play Hearthstone and Destiny now, I still haven't actually unlocked PvP in this game I think

We're trying to bait it so that the tether goes to me, but usually the party stack is loose enough that it goes to somebody else and I have to pick it up.

If they're baiting the tether to a certain spot, Protean Wave should also most likely be there too? The only way for this overlap to happen as far as I can tell is if they're stacking in front of the Protean Wave puddle / on the same side as the Drainage puddle.

iammeiam

I thought this thread was the real PVP tho.

This this this this this. There is so much in the final phase of the fight you can control. Protean targets players. You control where your players are relative to the boss, which means you control where Protean has the potential to go. Don't put Protean on the tether puddle and then the tether puddle is a safe place to do the pickup, with little convenient corner pockets to hide in and not blow anybody up. Likewise, you control exactly where Embolus goes. Don't put it where people will be, or ban people from standing where it's going to go and start yelling at them every time they wander into the danger zone.

People get married to a strategy and then want to do fine tweaks on it to make it work instead of just junking it and picking a strategy that works. I think I cost us a week in A4S because I was trying to hardline who I thought should go on first sac despite it obviously not working out for us. I was dumb, everything got dramatically better once I listened to the people saying it would go better if we did two DPS and an OT. The only right strategy is the one that consistently works. If it's still iffy there's always time to throw it out and do something better.

WolvenOne

Do I have to unlock a quest in the mythical Ishgarde to find the raid boss that does Embolis?

I think they're also trying to maximize DPS uptime or something. I dunno, I pointed out that this felt kinda hairy from my perspective and why, but nothing really came of it.

Might be moot anyway. Not sure I'm ever going to get this group to go in again before 3.2.

scy

I thought this thread was the real PVP tho.

does it give me tomestones

The only right strategy is the one that consistently works. If it's still iffy there's always time to throw it out and do something better.

Pretty much. Do what works the most often and with the best results for the people you have.

I think they're also trying to maximize DPS uptime or something. I dunno, I pointed out that this felt kinda hairy from my perspective and why, but nothing really came of it.

People are fans of "maximizing DPS uptime" but simply saying that's what the goal is doesn't mean that's what the strategy actually does. We have no loss in DPS uptime and have Protean Wave generally go off to the side where Drainage has a lot of room for the pick-up and explosion. Just seems weird to me that Protean is overlapping the pick-up as that seems to cost more time for everyone that way.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
yeah, I remember the days of farming Coil until like 5 AM with people cos the fights were fun and there were always people up for farming. Was a good way to play with people outside your group too.

Alex probably won't have that. People just want to do their lockouts once a week and not have to bother going back in there cos it sucks.

We don't even want to do 1-3 anymore.

WolvenOne

We don't even want to do 1-3 anymore.

One I don't mind, Faust is just annoying but the fight itself is basic enough that it doesn't really bother me to do it.

A2S, I could skip without any protest, I don't like fights with a million adds to begin with, add the walker and bombs into the mix and the fight becomes annoying fast.

A3S, oddly I still enjoy this fight for the most part despite all the wiping. It'd be nice if it were the tiniest bit more forgiving, but regardless.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
the gulf between the two halves of the raids made A1 and A2 boring as fuck so quickly. I could not be less interested in doing them no matter how quick they are now.

Not only are they quick but I have little interest in alt gear since I'm sitting on a bunch of tokens having already bought the alt gear I wanted to begin with.

Alexander just isn't interesting. I don't actively want to go in there. I still want to go back to Coil from time to time.

Hi guys. I've bought ARR on Humble Bundle, downloading the game right now.

Since I'm currently playing Xenoblade X as a complex character filled with buff and debuff techniques, I would like to go the other way around with FFXIV and keep things as simple as possible. Could you please advise me what are the less complex classes/jobs in this game so I can choose one? I have little patience to study a character's skill tree, so I prefer characters I can upgrade in a very irresponsible way, make lots of wrong choices and they'll still be fine for most situations.

Thanks and sorry if this has been asked before. I've read the OP and tried a few links, but the class/job documentation I've found is a bit overkill for me.

UPDATE: I should add that I'll be playing mostly solo.

iammeiam

We've started doing some slight role swapping in earlier fights since it's no longer strictly about putting time in and switching things up can inject some life into it. Sometimes it works out and you get one-jump A1S, sometimes I go on bard and we somehow have 7 deaths in our A2S.

Since I'm currently playing Xenoblade X as a complex character filled with buff and debuff techniques, I would like to go the other way around with FFXIV and keep things as simple as possible. Could you please advise me what are the less complex classes/jobs in this game so I can choose one? I have little patience to study a character's skill tree, so I prefer characters I can upgrade in a very irresponsible way, make lots of wrong choices and they'll still be fine for most situations.

It's literally impossible to mess up your character in this game.Every job has a primary stat that you pretty much allocate all your points to and if you somehow do it wrong you can buy an item to reset your bonus points. If you don't want to srs endgame raid, you can get by pretty easily on anything. Max potential for classes is tougher; I don't even know what constitutes an 'easy' job now. Maybe Monk's skill floor is most workable? since your primary combo only lets you push buttons in order and they blink to show you the next skill in the chain, and there's little in the way of party utility to worry about, you can do ok in most stuff. DPS jobs will have the least responsibility in causal content, usually. Skill ceiling and reaching max potential is a whole other thing.

Hi guys. I've bought ARR on Humble Bundle, downloading the game right now.

Thanks and sorry if this has been asked before. I've read the OP and tried a few links, but the class/job documentation I've found is a bit overkill for me.

you can't build any class wrong b/c there is really only one desired stat for each class and that's about all the skill tree/upgrade you get (which you can easily reset if you mess up and isnt that big of a deal while leveling). Otherwise everybody that plays the same job has the same skills/same rotation/same general game plan. Easiest class to play casually is paladin tank most likely. Otherwise it depends on what role you want and how you want to play that role e.g. type of tank, healer, or dps (ranged, magic, melee)

WolvenOne

New Yoshi interview that has yet to be translated
http://www.4gamer.net/games/278/G027835/20151224179/

Pieced together bits and pieces so far.

One thing I did notice was that they asked why where weren't versions of the old primals you could fight at level 60. The answer was that it wouldn't be interesting to just re-tune the fights to have the exact same mechanics except with more HP and higher damage output. So eventually they'd like to revisit these primals with completely new mechanics.

But of course, they don't know when they'll be able to get around to that, because their development budget is finite and all that.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I wiped several times on Toto-Rak yesterday... Toto-Rak

I don't even know what to say. Tank refused to take agro and I had at least 7 enemies on me. I die since I'm trying to heal through it, of course (not that it did much since the adds can interrupt you). Then I'm forced to run back from the start, where the enemies latch onto me on the way and it happens again. Add in the tank raging at the DPS for going the wrong way (they were newbies) and things fall apart quickly. Everyone quit... haha.
My heart goes out to you.
DF quality has been exquisitely bad recently. It's one thing to be new and the other to be completely irrevocably dumb, so it's always pleasing when you find somebody who doesn't know what they're doing but are willing to follow advice and improve.
This, I give those people my commendations.

Squishy3

But of course, they don't know when they'll be able to get around to that, because their development budget is finite and all that.
It's like Square doesn't want to reinvest into one of their consistent sources of income and instead focus on getting Nomura's stalled projects out the door.

New picture of Alexander at least. And not in the size for ants they insist on using in the blog posts.

004nlbao.jpg

iammeiam

It's like Square doesn't want to reinvest into one of their consistent sources of income and instead focus on getting Nomura's stalled projects out the door.

New picture of Alexander at least. And not in the size for ants they insist on using in the blog posts.

We already fought an arm

I don't want to fight another arm

why is there another arm

Valor

It sounds more and more like the issue you have isn't with A3S but rather the people you are throwing at A3S.

We already fought an arm

I don't want to fight another arm

why is there another arm
Technically the only part of Alexander we may have fought is Living Liquid. The rest is just Illuminati Junk. I'm assuming Living Liquid is Illuminati Junk as well, but his arena actually looks like it's supposed to be a battlefield, where the rest of the arenas are just corridors within Alexander. Or an elevator for A4.

I do wonder if we'll finally see some of Alexander's natural defenses begin to come online to fight us instead of Gobbietech for the entirety of this tier. It would be very disappointing to me if this entire raid was just fighting gobbybads inside of a big robot that happens to be named after one of my favorite FF summons.

iammeiam

Please be excited to
fight a tiny Alexander in A12 inside the Metal Heart.

there will be a mid-fight break where for some reason he spawns tiny Strafs to dive-bomb the arena

Seriously though, the inside of his first arm was aesthetically boring. Can the other one at least be on fire all the time so it looks cool

Jayhawk

We all know the final boss for the next raid cycle will be Lightning for those resubs. Loot will be her outfit from Lightning Returns and the outfits in XIII-2.

aceface

In the spirt of making everything exactly like it was in 2.x the next section of Alex will look exactly like coil and now for some reasons there's dragons here and Alisae will show up and be like "sorry I couldn't make it earlier, my commute over was...tuned too high...but anyways guess what I have another grandfather!"

Vanethyr

We all know the final boss for the next raid cycle will be Lightning for those resubs. Loot will be her outfit from Lightning Returns and the outfits in XIII-2.

As long as there's a mechanic involving lightning striking a Toriyama shaped pylon, it might just be okay, just.

Sifl

As long as there's a mechanic involving lightning striking a Toriyama shaped pylon, it might just be okay, just.
How about the dodging lightning mini game from ff10? Anyone gets hit by lightning it's an instant wipe, finally a reason not to bring a Drg.

Squishy3

In the spirt of making everything exactly like it was in 2.x the next section of Alex will look exactly like coil and now for some reasons there's dragons here and Alisae will show up and be like "sorry I couldn't make it earlier, my commute over was...tuned too high...but anyways guess what I have another grandfather!"
Alisae is doing other stuff tho and can't do Alex

BadRNG

New Yoshi interview that has yet to be translated
http://www.4gamer.net/games/278/G027835/20151224179/
I really only just skimmed the raid part so grain of salt for now but

• lots of rehash of stuff we know, like budget issue regarding a third level of raid difficulty. His answer about how Alexander came about is a tad different from I remember though, as here he says people thought SCOB was too hard so they made FCOB which people then said was too easy. His previous mention of the difficulty for Alexander 2 being somewhere in between then should mean easier than SCOB but harder than FCOB? I don't remember him saying where he placed the difficulties of either so that's good to know?
  • Cool stuff on how fights are tested, you can wait for BG or whatever translation for full stuff but of particular note is that AS3/AS4 were tested phase by phase by the battle teams rather than as the fight all at once(since that would of taken too long to clear and their team isn't as good as the best players out there), which probably explains why they thought AS4 was a good idea. Maybe it's not so bad when you can skip around phases.

There's also a whole section on how the training stuff will work but I'm going to bed so if no one has translated that tomorrow I'll post some info from it then
and maybe fix anything I got wildly wrong from above

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Alisae is doing other stuff tho and can't do Alex

It's alright, the Warring Triad is more important.

I really only just skimmed the raid part so grain of salt for now but

• lots of rehash of stuff we know, like budget issue regarding a third level of raid difficulty. His answer about how Alexander came about is a tad different from I remember though, as here he says people thought SCOB was too hard so they made FCOB which people then said was too easy. His previous mention of the difficulty for Alexander 2 being somewhere in between then should mean easier than SCOB but harder than FCOB? I don't remember him saying where he placed the difficulties of either so that's good to know?
  • Cool stuff on how fights are tested, you can wait for BG or whatever translation for full stuff but of particular note is that AS3/AS4 were tested phase by phase by the battle teams rather than as the fight all at once(since that would of taken too long to clear and their team isn't as good as the best players out there), which probably explains why they thought AS4 was a good idea. Maybe it's not so bad when you can skip around phases.

There's also a whole section on how the training stuff will work but I'm going to bed so if no one has translated that tomorrow I'll post some info from it then
and maybe fix anything I got wildly wrong from above

"Players want to challenge old content at 60"
"But we'd have to add new mechanics and that's :effort:"

But that's not what was asked?

Wagram

GMs are divided on whether or not selling FCs/Houses is against ToS now. Welp, luckily I already did it before they make an official decision.

On the topic of Alexander. I must admit that I pretty much forgot the story of the place. It simply isn't interesting like coil was.

iammeiam

Cool stuff on how fights are tested, you can wait for BG or whatever translation for full stuff but of particular note is that AS3/AS4 were tested phase by phase by the battle teams rather than as the fight all at once(since that would of taken too long to clear and their team isn't as good as the best players out there), which probably explains why they thought AS4 was a good idea. Maybe it's not so bad when you can skip around phases.

....lol

I mean, this explains why nobody suggested 4 legs was too many legs, and why leg HP always resets so you're forced to deal with each leg entirely separately. Not having to pay any attention to how CDs interact with different leg push timings means that going full burst on all four legs isn't a huge deal.

This also means when they wanted to actually test out Nisi they didn't have to redo 7 minutes of stuff every time to get back to where Nisi was useful. But they still would have had to balance Nisi ticks with final phase damage which seems incredibly challenging, but without the slog to get back to it every time you could at least jump right to the learning part of the fight. And since the final phase rotation is relatively short, and no sac, no Wirble, and presumably no enrage reflecting actual real-world pressure means no weakness making the second occurrence weird and a potentially more lenient DPS check... I guess I can see how that happened.

chrono01

A4S is such a well-designed fight. It's the pinnacle of perfection, and should be reflected in every subsequent raid encounter to follow.

Please no.

Jeels

It's kind of in the sort-of-dead-lull state .

I really disagree. I am seeing more people running around in game nowadays in the original three towns included than I have since savage launched. It's so nice to see it lively.

Jeels

this is why I play Hearthstone and Destiny now, I still haven't actually unlocked PvP in this game I think

I'm still waiting for Dissidia ps4 to satisfy that gaming tick. :( XIV PvP doesn't cut it. Maybe wolves den in 3.2

Why do you hate me

And welcome to the fc out getting ribs!

Top Bottom