• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

iammeiam

Slycer on BG posted a little more of what Krael described, and it ends with this amazing gem:

I see. And this applies to the highest difficulty content like the fourth section of Alexander savage?

Yoshida: For the third and fourth parts of Alexander savage specifically, we tested each phase. The FFXIV battle team is made up of some pretty good players, but these aren't world class players. It would have taken longer to perform adjustments if we tested as usual, so we tried to shorten it a bit.

So the release would be delayed if they tested until they could clear.

Yoshida: Since the development cycle is limited we had to proceed with the development of other content. You could sort of say we've cleared it completely through (laughs).

Crowning content of your first major expansion. Expansion itself delivered a little later than expected, and the raid itself will be delayed a month later than that.

Not enough time to test it all the way through, gotta move on to other content! *laughs*

Ken

It sounds more and more like the issue you have isn't with A3S but rather the people you are throwing at A3S.

Technically the only part of Alexander we may have fought is Living Liquid. The rest is just Illuminati Junk. I'm assuming Living Liquid is Illuminati Junk as well, but his arena actually looks like it's supposed to be a battlefield, where the rest of the arenas are just corridors within Alexander. Or an elevator for A4.

I do wonder if we'll finally see some of Alexander's natural defenses begin to come online to fight us instead of Gobbietech for the entirety of this tier. It would be very disappointing to me if this entire raid was just fighting gobbybads inside of a big robot that happens to be named after one of my favorite FF summons.

Is it said anywhere that the Oppressor, Manipulator, and dolls are Gobtech? Those seem pretty obviously Gordian.

Living Liquid might be a product of Goblin tampering with the Condensate Demineralizer, although the Pokeball thing looks Gordian as well. Who knows.

Valor

Is it said anywhere that the Oppressor, Manipulator, and dolls are Gobtech? Those seem pretty obviously Gordian.

Living Liquid might be a product of Goblin tampering with the Condensate Demineralizer, although the Pokeball thing looks Gordian as well. Who knows.

I guess I just assumed it was Gobbyjunk since I'm used to thinking of them as using robots and stuff like that from our previous encounters with them, and with Alexander 2. If anything, the Jagd dolls may be Goblin made since they also appear in A2? Then again I suppose you can just as easily assume the Illuminati were using Alexander's defenses against us.

Actually looking at the cutscenes again for alexander floors, I would probably agree that 1,3,4 are all Gordian/Alexander type machines. They even have the same kind of design as Alexander itself. I just made an assumption that appears to be wrong. That actually makes me like the Oppressor and Manipulator a bit more.

Ken

I guess I just assumed it was Gobbyjunk since I'm used to thinking of them as using robots and stuff like that from our previous encounters with them, and with Alexander 2. If anything, the Jagd dolls may be Goblin made since they also appear in A2? Then again I suppose you can just as easily assume the Illuminati were using Alexander's defenses against us.

Actually looking at the cutscenes again for alexander floors, I would probably agree that 1,3,4 are all Gordian/Alexander type machines. They even have the same kind of design as Alexander itself. I just made an assumption that appears to be wrong. That actually makes me like the Oppressor and Manipulator a bit more.

It was the Illuminati Goblins that wishes Alexander into existence so it's not too farfetched that Dolls would assist them in A2, unless there's some weird antagonistic relationship I'm not aware of between Primals and their worshippers.

Not to mention Goblins have a trend of adding "gob" to their mecha like Magitek Vangob, Gobwidows, Gobwalkers, and Gobmachine.

iammeiam

So does this mean I get to go back to grousing about not wanting to meet Sinister Oppressor, Living Liquidette, and Sinister Manipulator? (A2S/A6S will be the exact same but the controls will swap thumbsticks and everything will spawn mirrored)

Ken

Hi guys. I've bought ARR on Humble Bundle, downloading the game right now.

Since I'm currently playing Xenoblade X as a complex character filled with buff and debuff techniques, I would like to go the other way around with FFXIV and keep things as simple as possible. Could you please advise me what are the less complex classes/jobs in this game so I can choose one? I have little patience to study a character's skill tree, so I prefer characters I can upgrade in a very irresponsible way, make lots of wrong choices and they'll still be fine for most situations.

Thanks and sorry if this has been asked before. I've read the OP and tried a few links, but the class/job documentation I've found is a bit overkill for me.

UPDATE: I should add that I'll be playing mostly solo.

Monk probably fits your bill as far as melee DPS go. Every attack changes their stances but you only get 2-3 options per stance and this loops around after the third attack. You don't have to worry too much up keeping a lot of stuff since you naturally hit those points every few attacks, if that makes sense. Boiling it down even simpler:

Stance 1: debuff attack or damage attack
Stance 2: buff attack or damage attack
Stance 3: dot attack or damage attack
Loop to stance 1

You have an extra dot that isn't tied to a stance, and some of stances have a third option but those aren't really used often enough to worry about.

WolvenOne

If I remember correctly, Alexander was summoned briefly once before many years earlier by somebody else, and all the Goblin's did was resummon/complete the summoning this time around.

So I'm not sure the relationship between Alexander and the Goblins is as strong as it seems at first glance. I think this'll loop back around to Sharlayan culture at some point, probably in 2nd Alexander.

Ken

If I remember correctly, Alexander was summoned briefly once before many years earlier by somebody else, and all the Goblin's did was resummon/complete the summoning this time around.

So I'm not sure the relationship between Alexander and the Goblins is as strong as it seems at first glance. I think this'll loop back around to Sharlayan culture at some point, probably in 2nd Alexander.

I think Alexander the Primal has only been summoned once, causing that big hubbub about how its seconds of activity drained a large amount of aether. There was an initial summoning before it but that was also by the Illuminati, and apparently didn't do anything of significance.

Alexander the fortress for scholars had already existed in some form, housing the Gordian Knot and serving as the vessel or conduit for the primal.

Two years after the Calamity, the Illuminati first attempt to awaken Alexander in a discarded Sharlayan defense mecha, but it shuts off shortly after.

Since the Sharlayan exodus, a structure has stood steady against the flow of the Thaliak River. Now, the Illuminati have summoned a primal around this rusting ruin─a terrible colossus of steam and metal. Steel screamed against steel when it rose from the waters, and it drank deep of the land's aether before grinding again to a halt.

As for the relationship thing, I guess that depends on their origin. If they're all created by Primal summoning aether mumbo jumbo then maybe they'd have reason to ally with the Goblins. I have little hope they'll actually explain anything concerning the raid outside of another FF primal raid boss like Phoenix though.

Of course I've skipped most of the cutscenes so I could be wrong. Maybe I'll go rewatch them instead of playing Snooze Age Inquisition later.

Ken

Wait... they released Alex Savage without clearing it???

Sounds like they did all their testing with tool-assistance like godmode and phase skipping. There's more discussion about it if you go back a couple posts.

...says "wait a little bit" to get Empire-related glamour and such lol

Legatus glamour hype.

Omni

Question about White Mage's DoTs. Is it worth using Aero I/II at level 60 still? I always use Aero III if available and then Stone IIIs. Don't really bother with the others aside from the occasional Aero II but maybe I should?

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Question about White Mage's DoTs. Is it worth using Aero I/II at level 60 still? I always use Aero III if available and then Stone IIIs. Don't really bother with the others aside from the occasional Aero II but maybe I should?

Aero II is far better than Stone III (300 potency versus 210).
Aero is only 200 which means that normally there's no point to cast it over Stone III, but it is instant which lets you weave Fluid Aura and/or Assize and/or Presence of Mind without breaking the GCD pace.

Basically if there's no heavy damage on the tank immediately, my single target would go something like Asylum+Regen on pull, Cleric Stance, Aero 3, Aero 2, Aero + Fluid Aura + Presence of Mind, Stone 3, Stone 3, Stone 3, Aero 2, Stone 3, Stone 3, Stone 3, Aero 3 and so on

BadRNG

Don't see any translations yet so just quick overview of the training stuff:

- There's a basic role teacher that just covers the concepts of the tank/healer/dps. You get an NPC party and do stuff like keep aggro or heal. You can talk to someone to get explanation on MMO terminology. I think this was all covered in live letter.
- There's also a DPS dummy. The way it works is you select a level of dummy, and you have 3 minutes to kill it. The different levels of dummy correspond to different levels of content, the idea being if you can clear specific level X then you should be good for content X as well. This means no actual DPS numbers are given, it's just based on general tier of content. The thing is also instanced because they thought people might be shy about doing it in front of others.

You should. More damage is more damage, you want all your dots rolling.

Omni

Aero II is far better than Stone III (300 potency versus 210).
Aero is only 200 which means that normally there's no point to cast it over Stone III, but it is instant which lets you weave Fluid Aura and/or Assize and/or Presence of Mind without breaking the GCD pace.

Basically if there's no heavy damage on the tank immediately, my single target would go something like Asylum+Regen on pull, Cleric Stance, Aero 3, Aero 2, Aero + Fluid Aura + Presence of Mind, Stone 3, Stone 3, Stone 3, Aero 2, Stone 3, Stone 3, Stone 3, Aero 3 and so on
Oh okay. Thanks! Just trying to improve my DPS a bit. I was parsed in Thordan again today and apparently was only getting around 110 or so DPS. I was the 'main' healer so our SCH was able to be in cleric a lot, but that seems a bit low... Haha. Not quite sure what's expected of me there, though.

The clear still eludes me. Still can't believe we wiped at 1% the other day >.<

Thordan doesn't need any healer DPS so practice first on getting the fight down and then get in some DPS

It doesn't? I was told that it does. Well that's confusing. So not being able to burn him before enrage is purely a DPS problem?

Frumix

Suffering From Success
It doesn't? I was told that it does. Well that's confusing. So not being able to burn him before enrage is purely a DPS problem?

It's nice to be going into the Knights phase with extra 500-700 DPS from healers but if you're just healing after Ultimate End it's fine and shouldn't lead to enrage.

lifa-cobex

Evening all,

Me and my gf picked up FF14 about a week ago and were loving it.
I haven't played an MMO in many many years (vanilla WoW was the last) and I have a question that's really bothering me.
I was hoping that we could go through the main story together. I guessed we wouldn't be able to really go on together for a while so the game could introduce you to the mechanics.
The issue is that we have started in different areas as we wanted to be different classes to complement each other

I've just reached lv 20 in the main story (just registered with grand company and got a mount).
She is around Lv 15 on story I think.
We have run around together a couple of times but it kinda sucks as we can't really do the missions together.

I've read that the story's do eventually intertwine. Does anyone know if or when we can start running missions together?

ebil

If your groups aren't able to kill him before enrage it's either because too many people died for one reason or another or DPS people aren't pulling their weight. It's perfectly fine to not contribute at all in terms of DPS after Ultimate End if you're main healing, especially if you're going for a first clear.

Evening all,

Me and my gf picked up FF14 about a week ago and were loving it.
I haven't played an MMO in many many years (vanilla WoW was the last) and I have a question that's really bothering me.
I was hoping that we could go through the main story together. I guessed we wouldn't be able to really go on together for a while so the game could introduce you to the mechanics.
The issue is that we have started in different areas as we wanted to be different classes to complement each other

I've just reached lv 20 in the main story (just registered with grand company and got a mount).
She is around Lv 15 on story I think.
We have run around together a couple of times but it kinda sucks as we can't really do the missions together.

I've read that the story's do eventually intertwine. Does anyone know if or when we can start running missions together?

From what I remember, you are basically at that point already. She just needs to catch up to you is all. Hopefully one of you is either a healer or tank so you can enjoy those faster dungeon queues!

iammeiam

It's nice to have and there's a few spots early on where there's minimal to no damage going out so might as well, but Thordan is in no way a strict enough DPS check that healer DPS is required. DPS slacking and full VIT tanks 100% in tank stance not thinking about DPS at all are likely a bigger problem. Healer DPS should really be helping you push before the AOE stuff at the end, if anything, not just surviving enrage.

lifa-cobex

From what I remember, you are basically at that point already. She just needs to catch up to you is all. Hopefully one of you is either a healer or tank so you can enjoy those faster dungeon queues!

Good stuff. I had a feeling I might be at the point as the story seems to be expanding some what.
I'm a lancer and she's a black mage. Thought we would go for more of the offensive touch.

edit: that and I think she likes the outfits

Valor

Good stuff. I had a feeling I might be at the point as the story seems to be expanding some what.
I'm a lancer and she's a black mage. Thought we would go for more of the offensive touch.

edit: that and I think she likes the outfits
Piggybacking off of previous post, once you clear your level 15 quests in your starting city state you'll become something of an envoy to the other city states, which means that you're allowed to go to all three and pick up any classes you want, go where you want, and explore the areas. Since you have a GC and a mount, once she catches up you guys can do pretty much the entirety of the game together. (Just remember to attune to the crystals in the new city states for easy teleporting between them)

The caveat is that some story battles have to be done solo, so you'll have to break party to complete them individually, but all dungeons and trials and all quests and sidequests inbetween you guys can do together.

I did Thordan for the first time yesterday. It's a fun fight, if Thordan designer is doing the next raid tier as well it would make me confident in the quality of the fights. My group had 6-manned it before and all the mechanics are from other content so it was handy enough, though the later phase with the tether, knockback and sky poo had me a bit disoriented the first few clears.

But it's fun, flashy and builds on its mechanics in a good way. If they take that philosophy into Alex Midas it will hopefully be good.

------------

As an aside, MCH becomes so much more fun with clean shot. istead of 1-2-1-2-1-2 I can 1-2-1-3-2-1-3 etc.

Tho I need to actually make sure to reapply DoT and Hot Shot and not just watch my buttons light up :/

iammeiam

Thordan was an excellent palate cleanser fight, a ton of fun, and pretty clearly the Devs trying to grab players by the shoulders and shake them while shouting "Just shut up and do the mechanics!" It was also like seventy percent recycled so it's hard to draw a really strong impression about future raid content from it. It probably does mean lots more Jagd dolls in Alex 2 though.

]As an aside, MCH becomes so much more fun with clean shot. istead of 1-2-1-2-1-2 I can 1-2-1-3-2-1-3 etc.

Tho I need to actually make sure to reapply DoT and Hot Shot and not just watch my buttons light up :/

I'm pretty sure the actual rotation post-GB is 1-2-1-1-1-come the fuck on RNG-1-quick reload-1-2

Hot Shot and Lead Shot eventually become really easy to keep up most of the time though. 30 second times mean they sync up really well with each other and most other CDs so it makes it really easy to time everything out without having to stare at buff timers (refresh at 30s, then just before Reload becomes available again, then right as HE comes off CD, then right as Hypercharge comes off CD, etc. )

Thordan was an excellent palate cleanser fight, a ton of fun, and pretty clearly the Devs trying to grab players by the shoulders and shake them while shouting "Just shut up and do the mechanics!" It was also like seventy percent recycled so it's hard to draw a really strong impression about future raid content from it. It probably does mean lots more Jagd dolls in Alex 2 though.

I'm pretty sure the actual rotation post-GB is 1-2-1-1-1-come the fuck on RNG-1-quick reload-1-2

Hot Shot and Lead Shot eventually become really easy to keep up most of the time though. 30 second times mean they sync up really well with each other and most other CDs so it makes it really easy to time everything out without having to stare at buff timers (refresh at 30s, then just before Reload becomes available again, then right as HE comes off CD, then right as Hypercharge comes off CD, etc. )

yeah I just got the skill so at the moment my eyes are just attracted by all the things lighting up, I'll get used to it.

I will say EU ping is even more noticeable when you have to pop like 7 oGCDs (well like 2 or whatever) at once. No GCD clipping!!!!!

lifa-cobex

The caveat is that some story battles have to be done solo, so you'll have to break party to complete them individually, but all dungeons and trials and all quests and sidequests inbetween you guys can do together.

That's good. I love the way the story is done in this. At times I forget that i'm playing an MMO.

Trying to get some of are mates into it but they are kinda against playing MMO's altogether.
Some of are close friends got rather addicted to WoW back in the day because of us and it got kinda vicious.
But I like the way it doesn't really matter what actual level you are as It's focused on the story. (Not that it matters atm. Dunno what it's like later)
I don't have this urge to really grind my character to death. Just chill and enjoy the story.

Wilsongt

I'm just about 1/4 of the way through items for my relic and being casual as fuck with it. Granted, I have done a total of 10 a1 and 10 a3 runs. That alt isn't gonna gear itself.

Also, currently building another relic. Gonna turn the zeta in for the bard bow because fuck fate grinding. Not a single crystal drop, while it took me exaxtly five minutes to turn my holy shield from an animus to a novus. By the time I am done with the books on the curtana i'll have enough alex from maps to turn that into a novus in less than ten minutes. Light grinding is trivial now and running the dungeons for the drop is a nice chunk of poetics.

Win win win and don't even need to beat my head against the wall praying to Yoshi's Fire Emblem RNG.

oktarb

Gotta say I busted my ass unlocking Black Mage and the spell I get is a boring ass health conversion spell. Not exactly a feel the power moment.

Sorian

Banned
Gotta say I busted my ass unlocking Black Mage and the spell I get is a boring ass health conversion spell. Not exactly a feel the power moment.

You'll certainly be feeling the power when you get to 60 and realize convert is instrumental in letting you whip out 6 fire IVs in one rotation.

Isaccard

Drg and Brd are so fun

Great synergy too with Disembowel

Too bad Monks don't really offer anything unique anymore in an 8 man setting

I mean, how good is Mantra now with all the new abilities healers have

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Honestly what we got is terrible and too anime compared to some of those early designs.

"too anime"
No.

neptunia___wallpaper_48_by_karto1989-d80i42w.png

This is too anime.

iammeiam

Can we talk about Dragongirl emotes though? Setting aside the poor character creation choices, all of their emotes make it really, really clear who they're playing to.

Jeels

But that's what the people want, Final Fantasy Dress up your anime girl 14 :p

Didn't you just post that you were unsubscribing? Came back to complain about animu glamour? :p

Somebody posted a really good how to MCH guide earlier in the year (month?) If anyone has a link to that I think I am ready to take my MCH seriously.

Top Bottom