• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Tabris

Didn't you just post that you were unsubscribing? Came back to complain about animu glamour? :p

Somebody posted a really good how to MCH guide earlier in the year (month?) If anyone has a link to that I think I am ready to take my MCH seriously.

I will always be here to make fun of guys dressing up their anime characters :)

iammeiam

Somebody posted a really good how to MCH guide earlier in the year (month?) If anyone has a link to that I think I am ready to take my MCH seriously.

Probably either this thread or the Googe Doc linked in it. There were other guides floating around early in HW, and an older OF thread that was totally wrong about things, but the one linked there seems legit. And by "seems legit" I mean "recommends the opener I use" which is probably the most critical part of learning MCH (burst is life, and the opener of partial versions of it mid-fight will be responsible for your burst.) That and developing an ingrained habit of turret placement that runs so deep you wind up trying to place turrets when on completely unrelated jobs, and later trying to move the turret you couldn't even place to begin with.

Why does everyone hate on anime these days? Is it some kind of meme I missed?

2oIiuy2.gif

Tabris

Why does everyone hate on anime these days? Is it some kind of meme I missed?

I don't think anyone's making fun of anime. I used to like anime when I was a kid. My GAF name (which I've had for 10+ years) is based on an anime.

What I'm making fun of is the moe / kawaii designs of current anime with child-like characters or cat girls in bikinis. Or specifically the people that like them. It's the equivalent to Furry or MLP fans. It's creepy.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I don't think anyone's making fun of anime. I used to like anime when I was a kid. My GAF name (which I've had for 10+ years) is based on an anime.

What I'm making fun of is the moe / kawaii designs of current anime with child-like characters or cat girls in bikinis. Or specifically the people that like them. It's the equivalent to Furry or MLP fans. It's creepy.

Wow, at least they're not Hitler.

rubius01

last good anime i saw all the way through was code geass. Tried to get into kill la kill but it just didnt do anything for me (at least at thst price point).

I blame haruhi

its been TWENTY years since slayers, eva or escaflowne ;_____________________________________________________________________;

Shouldve gone with the vie'gaa or the wearwolf

Squishy3

Just look at anime today compared to the 80s and 90s. There's your answer.
It's more like what anime people from the outside looking in see and go "anime is trash why isn't anime as good as stuff from the 80s and 90s"

this has been a pretty active topic in the anime OT whenever one of those threads pops up in off-topic. there's plenty of good stuff that's been released since, it's just whatever stuff huge fanbases latch onto usually isn't that and is instead cute girls doing cute things or stuff like SAO. obviously really not the place to discuss this but anyone that became disillusioned with anime, if you post a list of stuff that you did like and what kind of stuff you gravitated towards in the anime OT people will try to give you recommendations based on that kind of stuff

and i'm just going to throw out a gundam thunderbolt recommendation which you can watch on youtube for free

Sorian

Banned
It's more like what anime people from the outside looking in see and go "anime is trash why isn't anime as good as stuff from the 80s and 90s"

this has been a pretty active topic in the anime OT whenever one of those threads pops up in off-topic. there's plenty of good stuff that's been released since, it's just whatever stuff huge fanbases latch onto usually isn't that and is instead cute girls doing cute things or stuff like SAO.

I finally sat down and watched SAO a couple months ago. I was expecting trash but damn did that go to the shitter as it kept going.

I wonder if they are ever going to add anything for controller users to help reduce the button bloat. If they go into another expansion like this I don't see how they can get away with it. Controller users shouldn't have to set up multiple macros to play their class at a basic level if it comes to that with the new abilities imo.

Just look at anime today compared to the 80s and 90s. There's your answer.

Agreed. These comparison images are particularly damning imo.

TerXC3L.jpg
zXYJ6JC.jpg

and i'm just going to throw out a gundam thunderbolt recommendation which you can watch on youtube for free

The style in this is pretty refreshing. After watching this and playing Xenoblade X recently I think what FFXIV really needs to do is add pilot-able humanoid mecha. They already have a precedent for piloting things with the magitek armor, but they need to go even further. Have them give you a basic one in the story and let you get new ones and dungeon drop/craftable weapons and equipment to customize it further.

I want to see something in the future like a scene where for example
Aymeric and the Pope bishop guy are in their mechs clashing above in the skies of Ishgard while arguing about philosphy, elitism, religion, nature of humanity, mecha stuff, etc.

I have about $10 on hand to donate towards this effort.

I feel like you need another month or so of suffering before you get to tell him to eat shit.

Kids these days with their sub-50 pings and server first groups.

congrats anyway on getting to avoid months of leg day

yeah, I should probably experience it from a healer's POV before I talk smack on the fucker.

Shevat

Neo Member
I wonder if they are ever going to add anything for controller users to help reduce the button bloat.

This is a very real problem for keyboard/mouse users as well. Even with using a razer naga and having a million buttons at my disposal I feel like I'm basically at my keybind limit for most of the jobs I've played. Not to mention the rotations themselves are probably at the high end of the ease-of-use scale. Short term, maybe they redesign the controller UI a bit to help out, but with the expansion they are going to need to take a serious look at the jobs and start streamlining some things because adding another five actions on the current design is probably not going to be enjoyable to play anymore.

Your avatar is what's wrong. The fact that is so pervasive.

You're going to have to rephrase that because right now these two sentences don't make any sense.

This is a very real problem for keyboard/mouse users as well. Even with using a razer naga and having a million buttons at my disposal I feel like I'm basically at my keybind limit for most of the jobs I've played. Not to mention the rotations themselves are probably at the high end of the ease-of-use scale. Short term, maybe they redesign the controller UI a bit to help out, but with the expansion they are going to need to take a serious look at the jobs and start streamlining some things because adding another five actions on the current design is probably not going to be enjoyable to play anymore.

This is kind of why I wished they had initially designed FFXIV to be something similar to Blade&Soul, in that alot of the actions flow into eachother and/or are contextual so you can really cut down on the button bloat.

iammeiam

yeah, I should probably experience it from a healer's POV before I talk smack on the fucker.

Nahhhhh i didn't mean it like that. Mostly that in a month from now you'll be even sicker of his shit because the fight never stops being godawful. I assume the true win comes whenever we all get to collectively never ever go back.

Nahhhhh i didn't mean it like that. Mostly that in a month from now you'll be even sicker of his shit because the fight never stops being godawful.

lol. the only bad experience I really have with that fight as MNK is if I get first quarantine. No way I'm keeping stacks up and it's too early for PB to be back up. It feels fucking awfulllllllllll

Good to know. I'm planning on leaving the clusterfuck that is Odin for somewhere different if/when I resub.

Lich is pretty quiet in terms of a raid scene, just so you know. The group I'm with is still the only A4S clear and there are only like 4 other groups on the fight who won't clear for a while.

Odin is the biggest EU server I think, followed by (I think) Phoenix and Cerberus. You're more likely to find a big FC and bigger raid scene there. I think the biggest FC on Lich is like 200+ people. Ultros GAF is like 300-400.

PowerTaxi

Banned
How is it a clusterfuck? Genuinely curious as it has a good reputation.

RMT was rampant for ages so the economy was messed up, ran across too many dickheads to count. That sort of thing.

Lich is pretty quiet in terms of a raid scene, just so you know. The group I'm with is still the only A4S clear and there are only like 4 other groups on the fight who won't clear for a while.

Odin is the biggest EU server I think, followed by (I think) Phoenix and Cerberus. You're more likely to find a big FC and bigger raid scene there. I think the biggest FC on Lich is like 200+ people. Ultros GAF is like 300-400.

One of the reasons I unsubbed was Alex so I wouldn't mind a quiet raid scene. Tbh, that could change in a few months.

ebil

RMT was rampant for ages so the economy was messed up, ran across too many dickheads to count. That sort of thing.
Oh alright, thanks for answering. Guess every server has its problems.

It's actually Ragnarok > Cerberus > Phoenix > Odin in terms of population.

The character designs, which are an issue, and the fans of those designs are so pervasive in anime right now.

Stylized depictions of faces are pretty common thing in animation (=D face for example like in my avatar). If you want something with a more realistic style then it's just a matter of looking.

My advice would be to ask animeGAF for a recommendation since they have some pretty knowledgeable people there.

Like if you're into mecha then Fafner: EXODUS (just finished -- 26 episode TV series and movie are required viewing beforehand though) and Gundam Thunderbolt (4 episode mini-series) are things you might want to look into.

Based on your name I assume you like Neon Genesis Evangelion. Can't really name anything off the top of my head to recommend from that though. I could name other mecha shows but NGE has more than just mecha in it that makes it appealing.

Kalentan

Hey guys... anyone know where the Square enix online chat support is? I keep only being directed to a page with ONLY email support with no option for online chat support that others, from google searches, said should be there.

aceface

Hey guys... anyone know where the Square enix online chat support is? I keep only being directed to a page with ONLY email support with no option for online chat support that others, from google searches, said should be there.

Are you going to the page during business hours?

For the low low price of $18!
Grats, you're freeee now.

Did I walk into animegaf again?

haha. I was resigned to paying for a transfer anyway, just glad I didn't waste my money on joining a group that wasn't a fit. Hopefully this trial keeps going well (they're happy so far) and I'll have a really good group for 3.2

Top Bottom