• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

IvorB

I don't think anyone's making fun of anime. I used to like anime when I was a kid. My GAF name (which I've had for 10+ years) is based on an anime.

What I'm making fun of is the moe / kawaii designs of current anime with child-like characters or cat girls in bikinis. Or specifically the people that like them. It's the equivalent to Furry or MLP fans. It's creepy.

I've just heard it around a lot lately so was wondering. I don't think cat girls can help themselves to be honest. When they get to the closet they just reach for the bikini like a reflex. :)

Just look at anime today compared to the 80s and 90s. There's your answer.

Now that I think about it, I haven't watched any anime in quite a while.

Squishy3

Onwards! To the only tolerable part of this quest.
Eh, I won't stress the 3rd step, I'll probably try to just get a few tokens a week or something. The crafting mats probably won't even be that bad since that's just spending money/gathering what I can.

Teknoman

It's more like what anime people from the outside looking in see and go "anime is trash why isn't anime as good as stuff from the 80s and 90s"

this has been a pretty active topic in the anime OT whenever one of those threads pops up in off-topic. there's plenty of good stuff that's been released since, it's just whatever stuff huge fanbases latch onto usually isn't that and is instead cute girls doing cute things or stuff like SAO. obviously really not the place to discuss this but anyone that became disillusioned with anime, if you post a list of stuff that you did like and what kind of stuff you gravitated towards in the anime OT people will try to give you recommendations based on that kind of stuff

and i'm just going to throw out a gundam thunderbolt recommendation which you can watch on youtube for free

I also blame netflix and hulu. Go to anime category and there is a flood of cutesy or whatever type harem anime, mixed with the usual Dragon Ball, Fist of the North Star, etc.

Personally i've been going back to watch stuff I was too young to know about or really get into back then. Galaxy Express 999 / Captain Harlock universe stuff, Patlabor, Dominion Tank Police, Berserk, etc.

I want to check out the Ys anime...and yes Kill la Kill is still pretty good for what it does. I do miss early 2000s stuff like Big O, Cowboy Bebop, FLCL, Claymore... Thanks for the heads up on Thunderbolt.

EDIT: Feline type beast people have always been lightly dressed when you look back at even early stuff. Katt from Breath of Fire 2 or that other tiger dude from Breath of Fire 3. I guess Jessica and Mel are good examples from Lunar of going in the other direction though.

Has anyone bought any of the physical FFXIV soundtracks from the Square Enix Store? I really want to preorder the Heavensward soundtrack, but the store says it's on Blu-Ray, which has me sceptical. Is there no audio CD component so I can load it on to my phone/iPad/whatever?

Sorry if this sounds dumb, I've just never bought a Blu-Ray soundtrack before :/ like I would assume I need a Blu-Ray drive in my PC for it

Teknoman

Has anyone bought any of the physical FFXIV soundtracks from the Square Enix Store? I really want to preorder the Heavensward soundtrack, but the store says it's on Blu-Ray, which has me sceptical. Is there no audio CD component so I can load it on to my phone/iPad/whatever?

Sorry if this sounds dumb, I've just never bought a Blu-Ray soundtrack before :/ like I would assume I need a Blu-Ray drive in my PC for it

There is usually a link on the disc for an mp3 download of the soundtrack, but you'd need something with a BR drive to access it.

rubius01

Its only one bluray disc with all the tracks in 320k/bit mp3s. You can buy them on itunes, but if you are an audiophile then that might not be in a high enough quality for you. Or you could buy the physical copies and get then songs from other means online so you can listen to them.

Its only one bluray disc with all the tracks in 320k/bit mp3s. You can buy them on itunes, but if you are an audiophile then that might not be in a high enough quality for you. Or you could buy the physical copies and get then songs from other means online so you can listen to them.

I mainly just want the songs this time. I like buying the soundtracks to the PS1 games because I love the cover art and having all the CDs.

buying a disc that's almost useless to me for double the price would be just for the minion, which I don't really want. If it was on multiple CDs I'd buy it.

like I love this FFIX physical version. so simple but it looks so good.

finalfantasyixoriginalsoundtrack4cd800_02.jpg

rubius01

I mainly just want the songs this time. I like buying the soundtracks to the PS1 games because I love the cover art and having all the CDs.

buying a disc that's almost useless to me for double the price would be just for the minion, which I don't really want. If it was on multiple CDs I'd buy it.

Yeah, they physical presentation of the package is pretty shitty on these new discs

katagai

urgh that's dumb.

Guess I'll wait for it to come out on iTunes or something. Blegh.

I own all three of the soundtracks and originally thought I would need a blu-ray drive on my PC to get the songs. If you have a PS3 or PS4 (I used a PS4), when you insert the disc, there should be a menu with some options/bonus stuff. There should be one that lets you connect directly to the PS3/4 to download the zip files of the music off the disc.

EDIT: Wasn't able to take screenshots on the PS4, so I took some pictures with my ipad. This is what it looks like on the last soundtrack (Before the Fall):

Teknoman

Well...guess I know the next soundtrack to get. Of course the North American store doesnt have it...

EDIT: The wolf and actual dragon face people were pretty cool.

Jayhawk

Someone teach me 3.0 BLM

Shouldn't you be reading up on how to defeat dramatis in vanilla Civ V?

If there are going to be wars between
-docbon versus xtech and sosul
-me versus gryvan...

You are the only one left to take care of dramatis.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I was pretty content being a pacifist just trying to make my people happy.

But yeah, probably.

Got 3 new mounts today.
Got that Shiva Pony, that Ramuh pony, and finally had enough GMP to buy the turbo turtle. The adamantoise should fly. The carpet on top should just lift off and fly you away.

Ken

Got 3 new mounts today.
Got that Shiva Pony, that Ramuh pony, and finally had enough GMP to buy the Adamantoise mount. The adamantoise should fly. The carpet on top should just lift off and fly you away.

They're making the turtle mount fly in a patch after 3.2.

ThinFinn

I might get heat for this but, I think A4S is an alright fight.

Certainly doesn't match up to the quality of A3S but the fight itself is fun enough, well at least for me.

I can see how it is an anticlimactic end to the current raid tier though.

What I'm making fun of is the moe / kawaii designs of current anime with child-like characters or cat girls in bikinis. Or specifically the people that like them. It's the equivalent to Furry or MLP fans. It's creepy.

Is my character too anime?

I don't know mang. I really enjoy the fashion aspect of the game.

I believe the desire to put together the perfect outfit is a huge draw to others as well.

iammeiam

I still think it wouldn't have killed them to create a female Au'ra option that wasn't just straight pandering. Waifu races to infinity is just annoying.

I might get heat for this but, I think A4S is an alright fight.

Certainly doesn't match up to the quality of A3S but the fight itself is fun enough, well at least for me.

I can see how it is an anticlimactic end to the current raid tier though.

Are you doing Nisi or sac?

In practice, nobody is actually doing the fight. Nobody does Nisi. We all cheat. There's a lot about the fight as we do it I strongly dislike (the transparency of the gear checks is pretty sad), but I can understand people finding some level of enjoyment in the basic burn that it ends up being. I don't think I've ever seen anybody do the fight with Nisi intact and then defend it.

I think that's the breakpoint for me; I know of all of two groups that actually did the A4S the Devs designed. It's a fight so bad nobody thinks it's actually worth doing.

Jeels

XIV isn't any "more Anime" than the rest of the JRPG genre (hell, it's "less anime"). From Tales to Persona, Star Ocean, other final fantasy's, Dragon Quest, Kingdom Hearts, Atlier, Ys, the list goes on and on. You are playing the wrong genre if you are complaining about XIV being "too Anime".

Confession: I just realized I have a 270-day and counting sub to this game still rolling. Fuck. And I just impulse-bought Heavensward.

Never reached end game. I have a 25ish Gladiator. I am wanting to come back but I quit in the past because I didn't have anyone to play with.

Looking through this thread- it is hard to get a feel for the game. All I see is one guy making fun of people for playing "dress up" and some anime discussion.

A lot of content for a new player? Will I be "left behind" if I was to level up a character and start playing now?

Tiops

Confession: I just realized I have a 270-day and counting sub to this game still rolling. Fuck. And I just impulse-bought Heavensward.

Never reached end game. I have a 25ish Gladiator. I am wanting to come back but I quit in the past because I didn't have anyone to play with.

Looking through this thread- it is hard to get a feel for the game. All I see is one guy making fun of people for playing "dress up" and some anime discussion.

A lot of content for a new player? Will I be "left behind" if I was to level up a character and start playing now?

This is definitely not the place to get positive feelings about the game now. And don't mind the anime talk too.

No, you won't be left behind, there's always new characters everywhere and the roulettes keep players running old content too, so the queues are not terrible, specially when you run content for the first time. There's a lot of stuff to do now, and unless you play 15 hours every day, you won't run out of content soon.

Squishy3

There's a ton of content for a new player. Assuming you reach level 50, not only is there all that content on the way to 50, there's also 6 patches worth of content to go through before you reach Heavensward.

Don't know if you're on Ultros or not but there's a GAF FC on there. If you've been gone for awhile rerolling on Ultros might not be a terrible idea since you'd at least get to play with GAF people. In the long-term, level 25 doesn't take very long to reach now because they've doubled the amount of experience the main scenario quests give in the base game.

iammeiam

Now is an excellent time to be a new player. Changes for the expansion have made progressing through all the non-expansion stuff super straightforward and easy (it just hands you gear for doing main story stuff that cuts out the old level 50 gear grind.) Two years of endgame content at 50 to blow through, then you can roll straight into the expansion. Game has a fairly steady stream of new players, too.

The game's suffering pretty badly right now in the endgame area, but that won't be a concern for you for quite a while.

WolvenOne

Now is an excellent time to be a new player. Changes for the expansion have made progressing through all the non-expansion stuff super straightforward and easy (it just hands you gear for doing main story stuff that cuts out the old level 50 gear grind.) Two years of endgame content at 50 to blow through, then you can roll straight into the expansion. Game has a fairly steady stream of new players, too.

The game's suffering pretty badly right now in the endgame area, but that won't be a concern for you for quite a while.

Yeah, for new players the game is great, and for casual players at end-game it's probably fine for the most part. Game just needs more trials, events, etc that long time players actively want to do.

the new Pony Farm equivalent and raid can't come soon enough, though this'll only be a good start, assuming the new raid is well received.

suzu

You only reached Lv25ish, so there's enough content for you to come back to. Have at it.

Here's a list/guide of 1-50 progression and level locked content for you to refer to. And also the Heavensward list.

Redx508

just ignore the anime talk

if your a new player you have a LOT of content to do the next big patch is 3.2 coming Feb-Mar so you have time just don't rush to get 60

here's a few links that may help
Guide to Catching up to Patch 3.0

ARR Progression and Level Locked Content

Heavensward Progression and Level Locked Content

Jeels

OMG yes, surprised it took so long. I've been rocking Dissidia avatars for so long. Will def snag a few of these.

Welcome (back) to XIV. :) See you around Eorzea.

chrono01

Someone teach me 3.0 BLM
You don't want to learn it, trust me. While manageable, Enochian just isn't a fun mechanic.

That being said, even giving out the standard/usual rotation won't really help, since a lot of it is just adjusting mid-battle to combat/transition changes. It's not the static rotation it was in 2.0, at least for raid content. Knowledge of the timings of the fight is a lot more important for us than it was in the past. Not only that, they made a class that already didn't enjoy moving even more immobile.

Don't get me wrong. Enochian can work [more Spell Speed helps] and seeing the damage on Fire IV crits is always enjoyable, but it can still be a headache. :/

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
my dragon lady is anime as fuck and I like it

haters gonna hate
I played dress up with my demon lady last night.

Haters gonna hate.
They're not dragons or demons, they're scalies.
My charater is definitely not Anime:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Tsundere
XIV isn't any "more Anime" than the rest of the JRPG genre (hell, it's "less anime"). From Tales to Persona, Star Ocean, other final fantasy's, Dragon Quest, Kingdom Hearts, Atlier, Ys, the list goes on and on. You are playing the wrong genre if you are complaining about XIV being "too Anime".
Some of the glamours are definitely anime pandering.

Top Bottom