• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Thorgal

Submit in-game app. If you changed your character name, put in the message your old character name.

All the bad players play the class with most style tho

In terms of clothes? Probably Dragoon.
In terms of animations? Probably Monk/Ninja.

However, they're all dps classes, which means they have longer queue times to get into dungeon. Check out the armor previews in the character creation and figure out what you think looks coolest. You're welcome to ask more specifics about how jobs play.

I think the only thing we mostly agree on is which class has the worst style, which is Scholar

ok thanks !

Currently wathing this Noobie series for learning stuff .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-cKOVlZjjI

It is nearly 2 years old ,so i expect to find a few things that have changed since then , but at least ill get some idea of what i am supposed to do .

Omni

ok thanks !

Currently wathing this Noobie series for learning stuff .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-cKOVlZjjI

It is nearly 2 years old ,so i expect to find a few things that have changed since then , but at least ill get some idea of what i am supposed to do .
Mr Happy's videos are good too. He has like a 70 part series on Youtube... haha. Apparently people dislike how much he talks or something but eh. They've helped me a lot

k1t4j

Thorgal

one question : can i have diferent characters on diferent servers ?

Like have one toon on a European server and another toon on a NA server on one account ?

Zhao_Yun

one question : can i have diferent characters on diferent servers ?

Like have one toon on a European server and another toon on a NA server on one account ?

With the cheapest sub option you should be able to create 1 character on 8 different servers. If you want to have more than 1 character on the same server you'll need to pay a bit extra per month.

Isaccard

I've been meaning to make this post for awhile now but never got around to it out of sheer laziness and that my argument will be rebuffed and quickly dismissed with points I probably can't argue with or don't care that much to fight but...

Teleport buff sucks.

Putting aside the relevance of hunts for this argument (to be fair I should have made this argument before this happened) due to relic grind, how often are you teleporting really? Most people in the FC (I'm generalizing here) are usually AFK, raiding, crafting, etc. Back in the early days when people weren't parrotting "ded gaem" it was great, fate grinding, hunts, (when people cared about them), Odin, and Behemoth spawns. When Heavensward launched it was still pretty good, lots of new places to explore, stuff to do blah blah. At some point in the beginging it was decided the buff was the most useful FC wide and given its 24/7 status.

I don't think it's all that great anymore. It saves you a fistful of gil that you hardly notice, and what are you using your Gil on anyway besides teleports (hue) food or minions? I'm not suggesting we should never have it up again ever, I just think its forever up status should be revoked and added into the random rotation of 'whoevers on who happens to put it up because something else went down'

Or dismiss this post as my usual nonsense bau and carry on

RIP

Wilsongt

Mr Happy's videos are good too. He has like a 70 part series on Youtube... haha. Apparently people dislike how much he talks or something but eh. They've helped me a lot

People don't like him because he's a douchebag. Also, his videos frequently contain errors that are never corrected because he rushes to put out videos before other people. Some of his videos are decent. I watched the SMN one when I was first starting out and it helped establish a rotation for me.

However, it comes off a bit pretentious that he puts out 10+min videos on a single snippit of information that comes out of YoshiP's mouth, knowing full well that a lot of what YoshiP says is bullshit.

I've been meaning to make this post for awhile now but never got around to it out of sheer laziness and that my argument will be rebuffed and quickly dismissed with points I probably can't argue with or don't care that much to fight but...

Teleport buff sucks.

Putting aside the relevance of hunts for this argument (to be fair I should have made this argument before this happened) due to relic grind, how often are you teleporting really? Most people in the FC (I'm generalizing here) are usually AFK, raiding, crafting, etc. Back in the early days when people weren't parrotting "ded gaem" it was great, fate grinding, hunts, (when people cared about them), Odin, and Behemoth spawns. When Heavensward launched it was still pretty good, lots of new places to explore, stuff to do blah blah. At some point in the begging it was decide the buff was the most useful FC wide and given its 24/7 status.

I don't think it's all that great anymore. It saves you a fistful of gil that you hardly notice, and what are you using your Gil on anyway besides teleports (hue) food or minions? I'm not suggesting we should never have it up again ever, I just think its forever up status should be revoked and added into the random rotation of 'whoevers on who happens to put it up because something else went down'

RIP

I would say you should talk to the FC leaders about this and suggest some alternatives

but then I remembered only 1, maybe 2 max actually even play the game anymore.

so talk to Drama I guess?

Isaccard

Put it here so everyone it pertains to can view it and chime in if they feel inclined

Im sure Maple lurks the thread on occasion

Valor

Teleport buff sucks.

Putting aside the relevance of hunts for this argument (to be fair I should have made this argument before this happened) due to relic grind, how often are you teleporting really? Most people in the FC (I'm generalizing here) are usually AFK, raiding, crafting, etc. Back in the early days when people weren't parrotting "ded gaem" it was great, fate grinding, hunts, (when people cared about them), Odin, and Behemoth spawns. When Heavensward launched it was still pretty good, lots of new places to explore, stuff to do blah blah. At some point in the beginging it was decided the buff was the most useful FC wide and given its 24/7 status.

RIP
Preach, brother, preach.

rubius01

Teleport buff sucks.

RIP

See? I've been saying this for like a year and a half. The teleport fees are sooooo cheap, and the gil supply is soooo big now. I mean you can eaisly make a million gil from just the shit you get from MSQs.

But on the other hand, is there really anything good that can be put in its place? I mean nothings is really make orbreak.

iammeiam

But on the other hand, is there really anything good that can be put in its place? I mean nothings is really make orbreak.

Nooooope. Most of the buffs are more a mental thing than anything and are situationally useful at best. Teleport buff remains the one buff with the most widespread utility so it makes the most sense as a default. Pulling it down briefly to rotate another buff in when there's a good reason for it isn't a bad thing either, but at least having it always up decreases our chances of Brave New World by 50% each day.

Ken

Teleport buff sucks.

RIP

It's not amazing but compared to most of the other buffs it's the easiest one to get use out of and has the most tangible effect. Gatherers are probably getting multiple uses per day, and lower level characters are being asked to port everywhere due to quests. Hunts is very much a seasonal thing and right now with the Anima grind, it's not the worst time to have it up.

Heat of Battle is ok but I feel like you really have to be in dungeon spam mode to get the most out of it, so it's not that great for people questing maybe. Meat and Mead and Back on Your Feet are always nice for raiders but that's a much smaller pool of players. Besides these three and Reduced Rates, I can't really think of much else worth putting up. Regardless, the argument of Dead Game against Reduced Rates can be applied to any of the other FC buffs except maybe Jackpot since that takes like a minute to make use of before logging out for the rest of the day.

I will say I don't think we need Reduced Rates or even two buffs up 24/7 and we also don't need 50+ people with buff activation powers because it just leads to people rushing to throw up whatever is stored as soon as something goes down, even if it helps no one. Of course, if the Free Company can float with two per day then it's whatever. I haven't really paid attention to FC credit income versus expenditure but I'm sure Victor or Drama are aware.

WolvenOne

Hitting the tail end of the relic grind soon. Guess I'll do the pre-work for a second Relic afterwards. Get some of the tokens built up while waiting for 3.2.

mackaveli

I just got the expansion two days ago after taking a two year break.

Just wondering what I do with all my old dark light gear and all Again? Do I just discard them when I get upgrades or are there any reasons to keep them?

Ken

I just got the expansion two days ago after taking a two year break.

Just wondering what I do with all my old dark light gear and all Again? Do I just discard them when I get upgrades or are there any reasons to keep them?

Only reasons to keep old gear is if you like their look for glamour or you're leveling a job that can use the gear.

Otherwise you can just dump them for GC seals.

Ken

12465953_10153099553211841_8057756243456182679_o.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Hi XIV GAF, I recently got the game from the SE Humble Bundle and I'm a bit lost. I made a character around a year ago using the trial and it is around level 10, took me like 5 hours IIRC. So now I'm trying to jump in but I don't remember anything. Should I stick with it or create a new one? Keep in mind I have VERY little time to play games these days, 5 hrs might mean a week's worth of playtime. Also, will I be able to beat the main story in ~20 hours? It's probably the amount of time I'll be able to spend in the game this month.

Ken

Hi XIV GAF, I recently got the game from the SE Humble Bundle and I'm a bit lost. I made a character around a year ago using the trial and it is around level 10, took me like 5 hours IIRC. So now I'm trying to jump in but I don't remember anything. Should I stick with it or create a new one?

Just stick with it unless you wanted to start a new character for other reasons besides learning (like different server or appearance change). Takes like 5 minutes to find out how to play again.

If you're lost feel free to ask in the thread.

iammeiam

Plus Rin basically has to stay a lalafell now so win/win/win.

When is 3.2 anyway. February?

New Year's message said they're targeting February, so hopefully they stick to it.

UNLESS THEY RUN OUT OF TESTING TIME. I'd take a month delay to make sure the fights aren't stupid over them hitting their target.

Caj814

I wonder if they'll ever have a public test server opened to help with speeding up the release of patches. It seems smart if the budget is as bad as it seems.
If it's considered a good idea then it probably won't happen

Thorgal

so i just unlocked my first trait on my archer heavier shot .

do i have to do anything to activate it or is it automatically applied ?

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
I finally achieved the job of Bard. Thank you for helping me get this far.

Are there any specific side quests or levequests for Bard? Or do I have the same quests as I would if I stayed an Archer?

dramatis

I finally achieved the job of Bard. Thank you for helping me get this far.

Are there any specific side quests or levequests for Bard? Or do I have the same quests as I would if I stayed an Archer?
You get Bard job quests every five levels, like Archer. First quest is picked up in Archer guild, it takes you to new quest pickup location.

Levequests are universal to all jobs, there's no levequests for specific combat classes.

Hello,

Im thinking of starting this game soon after I beat Yakuza 5. I read some of the beginner tips on reddit but was wondering if people here could toss me some advice/tips for starting out.

I'm running an old 460 gtx with an I5 760. The benchmark test looked to run fine so I think im good for now in that department.

I was wondering what were some of the more populated West Coast servers. What is the state of classes at the moment for dps? like I heard bard/machinist kind of suck outside of buffs but I don't know if that info is outdated.

posted this in the wrong thread lol. Any tips guys?

BadRNG

I wonder if they'll ever have a public test server opened to help with speeding up the release of patches. It seems smart if the budget is as bad as it seems.
This game has needed a PTR cycle since 2.0. So many basic things could be caught/balanced properly if they actually saw how players use classes/do content rather than guessing and being wrong.

Considering how bizarrely secretive they are about specifics of even basic features/patch notes though I don't see it ever happening. Not sure what they are so afraid of in that department but it's a real thing.

I was wondering what were some of the more populated West Coast servers. What is the state of classes at the moment for dps? like I heard bard/machinist kind of suck outside of buffs but I don't know if that info is outdated.
Not aware of huge distinction time zone wise for the NA servers, at least among actual NA people. The most popular NA ones are Gilgamesh and Balmung, who have lots of players from east to west. The main GAF FC on Ultros also has quite a few PST people, along with EST and the like, if you want to play with them.

The game is pretty balanced DPS wise, all have their uses/are in demand. If you want absolute max DPS you want MNK, with DRG > BLM >= NIN > SMN > MCH/BRD being extremely rough hierarchy after that on single target. MCH/BRD do have the lowest dps potential but the gap isn't crazy enough to not play them if you like the class, and they are pretty much staples of every serious group because of the buffs they bring. Likewise DRG are now really popular group staple because of their buffs and synergy with the BRD/MCH class.

You can freely switch between all jobs so it's not really a big commitment either way, and the specifics of who is best at what may change by the time you reach cap.

RPGCrazied

God damn, the main campaign just won't stop. I should've waited on buying HW. Oh well, at least I'm getting XP and halfway to 51.

Just unlocked snowcloak,
Shiva
fight is imminent I guess.

Teleport buff sucks.

RIP

It's been useless forever because of how easy it is to get a full stack of free teleport tickets as well. But what do I know, I don't even play the game anymore.

ded
gaem

Ken

posted this in the wrong thread lol. Any tips guys?

Bards and machinists are ok, outside of some minor clunkiness with Bard apparently. Performance-wise they're both close. A caveat though: you can't start as MCH until you reach the expansion area which requires level 50 and the expansion. Once you do you can pick up and start MCH at level 30. You can't start as a Rogue either but you only need to reach level 10 and the base game, I think.

All the DPS seem fine. MNKs are slightly out of favor at the moment because one of their two utility moves is now on DRK, and the other one is healing-based, but the individual DPS a good monk can bring can balance out their lack of utility.

MCH = machinist
MNK = monk, starts from Pugilist
DRK = Dark Knight, one of the new tanks

Don't know about West Coast server. Activity on Ultros peters out at about 12 midnight EST. Going by hearsay, healthy NA servers are Gilgamesh, Balmung, Excalibur, Leviathan, and maybe Ultros/Cactuar.

Bards and machinists are ok, outside of some minor clunkiness with Bard apparently. Performance-wise they're both close. A caveat though: you can't start as MCH until you reach the expansion area which requires level 50 and the expansion. Once you do you can pick up and start MCH at level 30. You can't start as a Rogue either but you only need to reach level 10 and the base game, I think.

All the DPS seem fine. MNKs are slightly out of favor at the moment because one of their two utility moves is now on DRK, and the other one is healing-based, but the individual DPS a good monk can bring can balance out their lack of utility.

MCH = machinist
MNK = monk, starts from Pugilist
DRK = Dark Knight, one of the new tanks

Not aware of huge distinction time zone wise for the NA servers, at least among actual NA people. The most popular NA ones are Gilgamesh and Balmung, who have lots of players from east to west. The main GAF FC on Ultros also has quite a few PST people, along with EST and the like, if you want to play with them.

The game is pretty balanced DPS wise, all have their uses/are in demand. If you want absolute max DPS you want MNK, with DRG > BLM >= NIN > SMN > MCH/BRD being extremely rough hierarchy after that on single target. MCH/BRD do have the lowest dps potential but the gap isn't crazy enough to not play them if you like the class, and they are pretty much staples of every serious group because of the buffs they bring. Likewise DRG are now really popular group staple because of their buffs and synergy with the BRD/MCH class.

You can freely switch between all jobs so it's not really a big commitment either way, and the specifics of who is best at what may change by the time you reach cap.

Thanks!

apparently you can't create a character on balmung or gilg =(

Ken

Thanks!

apparently you can't create a character on balmung or gilg =(

Yeah, you need to wait for odd hours to get in like early morning or after a maintenance. More expensive option is to make a character elsewhere and transfer into it for $18.

Yeah, you need to wait for odd hours to get in like early morning or after a maintenance. More expensive option is to make a character elsewhere and transfer into it for $18.

well F that lol. Beside those 2, how is the gaf server? I prefer a decently populated server

Ken

well F that lol. Beside those 2, how is the gaf server? I prefer a decently populated server

Activity slows by 12 midnight EST. I get on around 3 PM EST and it seems decently active.

Endgame health is a different conversation but probably not worth stressing over yet.

Thorgal

i decided to get into Cerberus server .

seems like a very populated EU server . not sure how end game ready the population is but i shouldn't fret over thatt anyway since i am only level 11 right now and the new patch will long be out by then .

btw on the whole , how is most populations for the early dungeons ?

Hopefully not fully deserted . :p

Ken

seems like a very populated EU server . not sure how end game ready the population is but i shouldn't fret over thatt anyway since i am only level 11 right now and the new patch will long be out by then .

Na, low level stuff is usually well-populated either by new players or roulette players.

xxczx

Cerberus is an amazing server, tons of good people on here :) If you ever need a tank for fast queues, hit me up in game: Dark Falz

Top Bottom