• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

WolvenOne

i just bought the game and ill jump into this starting Tomorrow.

Any tips and pointers you guys can give me ?

Take your time and play at a pace you're comfortable with. Try to make friends, the game is a lot more fun with a group, and a support network helps immensely. Be patient with less experienced players, we were all there once.

Remember, it's all about the lols.

Menome

So I'm trying to create a character on the same server my friend is playing on, but after three hours of waiting I've given up for tonight. Do these 'Busy' servers actually allow for new characters when it's a quieter time of day, or am I possibly facing days/weeks of waiting until the in-flow is activated again?

Squishy3

I'm having so much fun with MNK at 60 (still have to look up the most optimal opener and rotation). So much so that it's hard to decide my favorite melee DPS at max level.

Jayhawk

I'm having so much fun with MNK at 60 (still have to look up the most optimal opener and rotation). So much so that it's hard to decide my favorite melee DPS at max level.

http://i.imgur.com/6XMaU17.png

This picture for MNK isn't bad. Missing Fracture in the opener and the alternative cooldown usage when not using a potion.

You can also look at FFLogs to see the openers of the best Monks out there and their varying Fracture uptime over a fight.

Jayhawk

"Optimal" opener for Monk is different per fight and dependent on when party members apply buffs/debuffs such as Ninja's Trick Attack or the boss is turned too far to hit a positional. You clip ticks of Demolish if you have to fit in a fully-buffed Demolish when Trick Attack debuff is up, or you use Touch of Death or Fracture a GCD or two earlier because of the same principle or because you'd miss a positional.

Look at these slightly different openers from 100th percentile Monks.

http://www.fflogs.com/reports/tjNVmny67qLDM4gp#fight=5&type=damage-done&view=timeline
http://www.fflogs.com/reports/b6WZQncgVTza3rk4#fight=157&type=damage-done&view=timeline
http://www.fflogs.com/reports/ahBqc47rp21T8RDn#fight=2&type=damage-done&view=timeline&translate=true

EDIT: My favourite part about early progression on Monk months ago on A3S was figuring out my complete first-phase rotation and ending in Coeurl form, so that I can fit in five meditates before Living Liquid is back up again... plus fitting in as many cooldown attacks as possible. If you're off by one GCD or screw up and end in a different form, you won't be able to charge five stacks of Meditate without losing Greased Lightning III because you'd have to use Form Shift.

iammeiam

The best thing about that site is it's all in icons because I sometimes forget what the buttons are called but I remember what they look like.

Also all you people with your Fractures. Unless you can hit 7 people for 3-4k each with 1 Fracture, you're just using poser Fracture. Train harder.

Jayhawk

The best thing about that site is it's all in icons because I sometimes forget what the buttons are called but I remember what they look like.

Also all you people with your Fractures. Unless you can hit 7 people for 3-4k each with 1 Fracture, you're just using poser Fracture. Train harder.

Seems like somebody is jealous of the best GCD in the game.

Fracture_Icon.png

Monks might get enough skill speed next raid cycle for 100% Fracture uptime without screwing up their timings on dots, buffs, and debuffs.

suzu

i just bought the game and ill jump into this starting Tomorrow.

Any tips and pointers you guys can give me ?

Some new players also asked on the previous pages so I'll just repeat:

A lot of things (such as chocobo and dungeons) are tied to the main story quests. So make sure you're always up to date on those, as well as your class/job quests.

Also check out this Lv1-50 list/guide http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Guide:Progression_and_Level_Locked_Content and the other links in the OP.

Jayhawk

Top 10 rankings for A4S on FFLogs (all Monks) and their Fracture uptime:
  1. Ember Lunalesca - OrderoftheBlueGarter - Excalibur - 1535.6 dps - 22.04%
  2. Luphina Pimpernel - (no FC listed) - Ramuh - 1509.3 dps - 2.30%
  3. Sansei Muramasa - Pawpad Incorporated (though it seems he just joined Elysium) - Gilgamesh - 1507.3 dps - 18.66%
  4. Natyusha Nynaj - Rogue - Exodus - 1503.0 dps - 14.17%
  5. Yoru Lemuri - Anonymous - Shiva - 1494.9 dps - 2.45%
  6. Lucifel Caelum (Rajinken's cousin?) - Adversaire - Gilgamesh - 1494.9 dps - 2.33%
  7. Tyrith Peng - OrderoftheBlueGarter - Excalibur - 1492.5 dps - 22.78%
  8. Ethereal Nijix - Atlas - Famfrit - 1488.8 dps - 2.37%
  9. Olivia Sen - Death Egg - Balmung - 1487.5 dps - 12.12%
  10. Y'ys Cilles - Shetoran - Atomos - 1484.4 dps - 96.27%

Y'ys Cilles is the hero we all deserve with that 96.27% Fracture uptime in A4S.

Gaston

I am thinking about picking this game up. Any opinions on who to roll for PVP? I typically like melee classes like Warriors in WoW. And yes I realize this game isn't a primarily PVP game.

http://i.imgur.com/6XMaU17.png

This picture for MNK isn't bad. Missing Fracture in the opener and the alternative cooldown usage when not using a potion.

You can also look at FFLogs to see the openers of the best Monks out there and their varying Fracture uptime over a fight.

here you go!

(I love this site, thanks Angary)

Many thanks!

I've been using a variation of what I see at the links. Not so much the opener than the overall rotation. Looks like it's time to hit the dummies to get those openers memorized.

Sifl

I am thinking about picking this game up. Any opinions on who to roll for PVP? I typically like melee classes like Warriors in WoW. And yes I realize this game isn't a primarily PVP game.
Be a Summoner and kill everybody.
Edit: If you want to be melee and pvp, be a Warrior. They are basically Dps even though they are labeled as tanks.

if you want to get kills. Summoner, warrior, dark knight, dragoon
Heals: Astrologian is pretty op right now

Squishy3

On final dungeon for i200 step and it isn't popping immediately as a tank what is this bullshit

edit: finally done, now onto the true hell step

Jayhawk

My nuclear bombardment of Seoul was not enough, and the prophecy could not be fulfilled.

Jayhawk too stronk.

Can it really be a cultural victory if the entire country is covered with nuclear fallout from both docbon's and xtech's attacks?

Enjoy the mostly-burnt pieces of art at the land of Jayhawk.

k1t4j

Hey guys I just got the game, I got the complete edition bundle downloading the updates now.

I am thinking of playing a tank, hope it's not to tricky to do so with a controller. But anyways still need to get through character creation and choosing a server.

You guys have any tips of a good populated server in EU? I would hate to be running around and everything being so empty at low levels :(

Ken

Hey guys I just got the game, I got the complete edition bundle downloading the updates now.

I am thinking of playing a tank, hope it's not to tricky to do so with a controller. But anyways still need to get through character creation and choosing a server.

You guys have any tips of a good populated server in EU? I would hate to be running around and everything being so empty at low levels :(

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/31erh5/which_eu_server_to_choose/?ref=search_posts

9 months ago but I haven't heard of any mass exodus on EU side so should still be somewhat relevant. I'm personally not EU but we do have several here across a bunch of servers who could chime in.

Hey! The Humble Bundle got me back into this after letting my sub end last year. I want to Rejoin the FC, I used to play with you guys. Do I need to submit a new application on the website or do I just need to submit an in-game application?

dramatis

Hey! The Humble Bundle got me back into this after letting my sub end last year. I want to Rejoin the FC, I used to play with you guys. Do I need to submit a new application on the website or do I just need to submit an in-game application?
Submit in-game app. If you changed your character name, put in the message your old character name.

What is in your opinion the class with the most style ?
I like my characters stylish :p
All the bad players play the class with most style tho

In terms of clothes? Probably Dragoon.
In terms of animations? Probably Monk/Ninja.

However, they're all dps classes, which means they have longer queue times to get into dungeon. Check out the armor previews in the character creation and figure out what you think looks coolest. You're welcome to ask more specifics about how jobs play.

I think the only thing we mostly agree on is which class has the worst style, which is Scholar

Top Bottom