• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

iammeiam

U5Q3YhW.png

Aiming Midas gear
It sucks
Fuck

We agree. It's underwhelming. It doesn't look like it'll take to dye well, but dye did save the Gordias stuff so who knows. Maybe stats on tome legs and chest will be decent again...

Oh well, MCH getting buffs, bowmage to become even less appealing. I was going to wonder if they were going to do something to Hypercharge but something that bumps sustained will be appreciated too. No more throwing pebbles between burst phases.

Beyond that... Few more weeks to raid log and then time to hope Midas delivers.

Valor

Oh well, MCH getting buffs, bowmage to become even less appealing. I was going to wonder if they were going to do something to Hypercharge but something that bumps sustained will be appreciated too. No more throwing pebbles between burst phases.
I'm kind of curious how they plan to boost that sustained damage. Maybe boost potency of Gauss Round? Maybe Ammo?

I assume they're going to have to tweak Bard a bit under the hood as well. Warden's Paean fix isn't going to really continue to make the class appealing. I wonder how many Bards are going to jump ship to Machinist for Midas
besides myself

Eldren

So good.

Oh nice, did you transfer to Cerberus? What's your ingame name?

I did! (I also fantasiad to an Elezen on the way.) The GAF FC was a lot of fun but the lag was getting too much for me. Plus being on an EU server means I see more of primetime so there are always a lot of people around which is nice.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I'm kind of curious how they plan to boost that sustained damage. Maybe boost potency of Gauss Round? Maybe Ammo?

I assume they're going to have to tweak Bard a bit under the hood as well. Warden's Paean fix isn't going to really continue to make the class appealing. I wonder how many Bards are going to jump ship to Machinist for Midas
besides myself
I'll probably stay bard since I got the relic.

They're abolishing Law, will that hinder relic a bit? Though I think you can get the same stuff with Poetics so probably not.

The Poetics items are different from the Law ones. I guess you'll probably get the items you got from Law for a lower number of Esoterics, like ½ or ¼ the current value.

iammeiam

Maybe shorten the CD timers? It's a little weird because Gauss Round is both weaker than EA and on a longer CD, and Ricochet shares a CD with Sidewinder but is 50 potency less than 2-dot Sidewinder and gets progressively worse in multi target situations (I think we're the only class who not only gets 0 DPS padding on Faust adds, we actually lose usable damage as more dolls show up and Ricochet's big hit splits further.) Making Ricochet 15 and Sidewinder 45 would align them with every wildfire but risks making the job even easier; although I do like the idea of Bard being the job where nothing lines up and MCH being the job where as long as you don't fuck up everything works together. Diversity.

The three 'big' failings of MCH have been no RoD equivalent for healer DPS, Hypercharge mathing out to be some level of worse than Foe Req in non-battery-heavy fights (I still think I win in A4S. Or at least how we do A4S.), and we flat out scale to gear worse. Bard's stat weight for Crit is nuts and as secondaries become more prevalent will be an overall bigger advantage; I have no idea how they fix that short of just buffing us every tier to handle the disparity.

If I were fixing it I'd just double down on how bursty we are, honestly--make Hypercharge 10% (or 7 or 8--whatever they need to do to make it math out to another Trick Attack), stick it on a 90 second CD so it always lines up with buffs and Wildfire.

I'd also like to see turrets scale crazy well with skill speed, or something. Buffing turrets would be an easy way to bump sustained overall since they're mostly passive damage; it'd also maybe remove some of the scary from starting out on MCH since turrets establish the DPS floor for the job and making that floor a little higher wouldn't be awful.

besides myself

Numerically Bard is fine, I think, since allthecrit and massive gains from said crit. I don't know what the JP community is like, but Bard has basically won the mindshare war, too, so aside from a decent chunk of the bard population not enjoying playing the class, it's in okay shape. Paean being useless is a thing, but then who doesn't have a junk skill or two lying around?

Jumping ship is a tough call since I'd think Gordias would have been the time to do it while nobody had fully mathed out which was 'better'; sitting through a 7 month raid tier--especially this one--on a class you don't find fun sounds like an exercise in insanity to me. Although I do remember being asked on my very first raid day if I'd be willing to switch to bard in case we needed the DPS to beat Faust. So maybe that stigma just stuck with people.

I dunno. Hopefully the buffs are good and not just, like, a couple seconds shaved off Quick Reload.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
They just need need to reverse the WD reduction on Aiming and stop pretending we're not people.

And for the next tier I'm planning to MCH full time, unless we get another Oppressor where you can double-dot for days or trash gauntlet. Probably won't, if it's Gondai.
Really hope Sephirot gun hasn't SkS.

BadRNG

This is gonna be s bumpy ride
I should look at what the accuracy/parry situation is like on the gordian fending accessories**, I think I have all of them from AS1 repeats. If it's bad at least tomes will be uncapped so you can get fending and then use AS2 books on coat (I can't be the only one with 75 million of those things by now). Parry being unescapable is probably only bad potential change from this, could end up with every piece like the belt where you can't escape it. Or you end up with too much ACC trying to.

rin I know you are reading this somewhere in the future, do the maths for me

Valor

I definitely do think that they just need to find a way to make secondary synergy make sense with Machinist. They don't have that heavy reliance on crit, but maybe det/ss will end up being their bread and butter like you said. Making SS scale well with turrets might be an easier solution, which would make that a more sought after stat for that group. Det maybe could get a bit of a buff and with the amount of actions that MCH can do, maybe that could also be a swaying factor.

I definitely agree about Gauss Round. Ricochet I don't mind as much, but when that damage is split I feel a piece of me begin to die. I also am not super opposed to making Machinist a bit easier, if it becomes a bit more approachable.

I don't really know if Gordias was the best time to jump ship since people who were raiding were typically already accustomed to raiding and so making any large scale changes and class switching was a bit dicier than usual. The counterpoint to this statement is the rise of how many Dark Knights we see in the raid meta. I guess my counter-counterpoint is that DRK is more or less the exact same thing as a PLD/WAR love child would be. Basically, I could see people raiding on Bard for this tier to just get it over with, not wanting to switch during progression (which took months instead of weeks) and then messing around with MCH in the off season, seeing incoming 3.2 buffs, and thinking about taking the show on the road since Midas looks to be easier than Gordias, insomuch as in the realm of popular thought.

Also, Dark Knight is the answer to your question about which class doesn't have a throwaway skill. Dark. Knight. The closest throwaway skill is like what... Unleash?

I'll probably stay bard since I got the relic.
There's always time to get that gu-

I'm sorry, I can't finish that statement without vomiting a little bit.

BadRNG

Also, Dark Knight is the answer to your question about which class doesn't have a throwaway skill. Dark. Knight. The closest throwaway skill is like what... Unleash?
Soul Survivor probably closer, It's really really good in like one fight(AS4) and then it's decent to useless elsewhere. The DRK Tempered Will? Unleash is at least super good for leveling before AD and still better for threat/mp wise if you just going to use once or twice and not actively trying to aoe dps.

But yeah DRK's actual abilities all have a use. We have plenty of boring or questionable traits though. I think they just phoned those in after designing the skills. Most are small buff in duration/cd or just weird effects almost never used. More jobs should get cool major mechanics in traits like BRD and MNK.

iammeiam

I don't really know if Gordias was the best time to jump ship since people who were raiding were typically already accustomed to raiding and so making any large scale changes and class switching was a bit dicier than usual. The counterpoint to this statement is the rise of how many Dark Knights we see in the raid meta. I guess my counter-counterpoint is that DRK is more or less the exact same thing as a PLD/WAR love child would be. Basically, I could see people raiding on Bard for this tier to just get it over with, not wanting to switch during progression (which took months instead of weeks) and then messing around with MCH in the off season, seeing incoming 3.2 buffs, and thinking about taking the show on the road since Midas looks to be easier than Gordias, insomuch as in the realm of popular thought.

What better time? New tier, every job had major gameplay changes, Bard operated fundamentally differently from how it had in prior tiers. A full month to get acclimated before the raid and two floors that were basically in-line with previous raid tiers. I get that it was change, and change is scary, but I kind of stick by enjoying the job > all, and it always struck me as weird that I was probably the least hyped for MCH pre-HW (I know we had people claiming they were switching that never did, I was interested for about a week before we found out MCH got caster stance like BRD) and one of the few who actually took it seriously once it came out.

Plus this raid tier blew everything up. Group changes, job changes, allthechanges. I dunno. I will say I'm probably considerably better with MCH than I ever was with bard. I'm still pretty trash overall, but Gordias was an excellent way to force me to learn how everything worked together. I don't see the same thing happening in an easier raid tier when I don't have to stress about stacking all my burst under every conceivable group buff possible with minimal downtime.

Completely unrelated but one thing I've wondered about the friendlier raid next tier is if people will have been at all humbled. Back when 2.3 hit, I remember a lot of indignation at poverty sands because people should have to earn upgrades by doing "hard" content. 3.0 sort of forcibly shoved actually hard content in our faces and called us all out with something where the biggest challenge wasn't just getting 8 people to show up regularly. So I wonder if this has dented iLevel elitism at all or if people will be back to pearl-clutching over unearned gear next tier. I don't particularly want Midas to be as grueling as Gordias was, but I would like to see the raiding community grow from it and remember that one time we got something actually, really hard the next time they want to tell people to get good.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Angary pls.
People were whining at Farthings this time too, although admittedly much less so
but that's because the game is ded

Arkeband

Banned
Overall, I like the changes.

I think the Mentor system is a creative but ultimately flawed attempt at helping people git gud. You can't teach people to git gud when they think they're already there.

There are going to be a lot of really shitty mentors just chasing achievements and rewards.

Honestly one of the best bullet points was queuing as a group for duty roulette, as it stands right now it's exceedingly hard to level with a friend because of all of the restrictions.

Biggest disappointment of the letter was all of the incredibly uninspired circular arenas for what looks like every single boss fight.

Ketsen

PLD getting buffs and Ketsen's already had the VIT accessories for months. Praise be to Gaius.

Months of fending accessory hoarding and sticking to Paladin finally paying off!

Game currently too ded to remember which button order to PLD with though, 312? 321? 0½1?

aceface

Overall, I like the changes.

I think the Mentor system is a creative but ultimately flawed attempt at helping people git gud. You can't teach people to git gud when they think they're already there.

There are going to be a lot of really shitty mentors just chasing achievements and rewards.

Honestly one of the best bullet points was queuing as a group for duty roulette, as it stands right now it's exceedingly hard to level with a friend because of all of the restrictions.

Biggest disappointment of the letter was all of the incredibly uninspired circular arenas for what looks like every single boss fight.

I like the idea of the DPS check training dummies though especially if they have them at savage level (which seems to be the case I think?) it's real tangible proof that you have to raise your DPS that players can go through solo to try to perfect their rotations. I'm sure there's a million flaws but it's good that they are introducing something like that in the game.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Is the safe in the GAF house available to any member to store stuff? My armory chest is getting full.

aceface

The Armoire is accessible to everyone. If you're talking about the FC chest then regular members only have access to the first tab.

Also stuff that you put in the FC chest is free for anyone to take, so don't put stuff there unless you are giving it away.

dramatis

The last time we had a non-circular arena was Bismarck, and people fell off all the time

I remember Turn 8 as the "where are we supposed to be—BALLISTIC MISSILE—too many ppl in the circles" square.

They had a thing going on in the Chimera arena but nowadays tanks just tank them in the cave anyway and bulldoze through mechanics.

Is the safe in the GAF house available to any member to store stuff? My armory chest is getting full.
That's the company chest, and everybody dumps their garbage in there, which means there's never any room.

I'm going to assume you don't know the various exchange/conversion systems in the game for dealing with armor.

If your armory chest is getting full, look into whether or not you need all those pieces of armor, then you can dispose of the ones you don't want in the following ways:
  • No color icon: these are usually crafted/bought equipment, which means you can always sell them to NPC vendors for a pittance. However, if the equipment's spiritbond is 100% (can check if there is a white bar on the far left of the gear icon when you hover/highlight it), then you can take the piece of equipment and turn it into materia.
  • Pink/Green icon: generally equipment dropped from dungeon chests. Pinks can be converted into materia, but Greens cannot. Greens are therefore best exchanged at your Grand Company HQ for company seals, which you can use to buy a variety of items from your GC specifically. Achievement rewards are also Green, but they can be stored in an Armoire (there's one in the FC house, and they are also available in inn rooms in the cities).
  • Blue icon: generally equipment acquired through trading tokens (like tomestones). Not always exchangeable at GC HQ, but most of the lower level ones are, so you can try to exchange first. If the equipment is the Artifact gear acquired from level 45-50 job quests, they can be stored in an Armoire.
  • Purple icon: only weapons, and specifically relic weapons. These cannot be exchanged at the GC, so they can only be stored, sold (?), or discarded.
Materia can sell well on the market depending on how high level the equipment is, so generally anything that can be converted to materia should be used until the spiritbond hits 100%.

There's one other thing excess equipment can be used for, but it's a derpy crafting thing and you're probably not ready for it.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the input, guys. I think I'll be turning a lot of stuff into materia.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Queued into A3 normal for the first time in a long while and was having some serious PTSD. Like, seriously scared of every mechanic. Geez.

Ken

I want Ravana healer set. Bismarck would be ok too.

Level your tank with my WHM.

Changes to Paladin's Oaths?

I'm interested.

Boosting Shield enmity and swapping oaths not breaking combos would be a good start. Also, SwO isn't really that cool when you look at WAR gaining Fell Cleave and DRK accessing Blood Weapon. Hoping for more though since I feel like Paladin is still missing that thing that brings the class and all of its combos together.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Queued into A3 normal for the first time in a long while and was having some serious PTSD. Like, seriously scared of every mechanic. Geez.

The only fight I feel that way about is A4S and only because the last phase is really sketchy with weakness/B4B/lower heals.

iammeiam

Whichever you prefer. I just need a healer and then I can nurture all of the sprouts \o/

BRB FATE-grinding PLD so I can tell new people not to listen to Galen's "Cooldowns Optional" school of tanking.

(I mostly wonder how many people will be meeting the Healer req off Eos' back)

It probably means we'll have to go back to Diadem.

Materia will sadly make Diadem a thing again.

They did pretty much say spoils prices would get cut in 3.2 so hang on to your spoils, but I only have like six.

Top Bottom