• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Ken

Then there's also the reverse where people don't even want to be taught or try new things. I've encountered that attitude in the english speaking community more times than I can count. Some people get really offended when you try to explain things to a T or help them out. Even if its in a way that isn't offensive or condescending :/

fAUOr2c.png

Teknoman

lol that example is perfect.

Chalk it up to a little bit of entitlement plus a little bit of the instant gratification age where people can't wait and the casualfication of the MMO genre.

People do fights over and over again and fail each time at them. It develops into this sort of mindset where they feel like they're entitled to a win, and anyone that gets in the way of that is a problem to be vote-kicked. That includes newbies just learning the fight and vets who made a simple slip up. People put undue pressure on other players to perform at levels that even themselves and other players can't maintain. If people don't adhere to these unrealistic expectations its pretty easy to disappear into the DF (which is why I think savage modes aren't as popular as they could be; you can't DF them). People don't even want to try because they can't be guranteed a win.

In the past these kind of players were weeded out simply by the nature of the game. Most MMOs didn't have a DF back then, and peoples tolerance levels for these kinds of players was low, because player cooperation was prioritized. Thats not to say that it isn't in this game but it was more emphasized in older MMOs like 11. Eventually word got around that you were a bonefied shithead so you wouldn't have to deal with that individual anymore. Word travels fast when your only dealing with maybe 1500-2000 people at any given time with no "DF" equivalent to escape to. Not to mention MMOs were a lot harder, so you were forced to learn the game at some point or another-though I won't deny carrying people did happen in my Everquest/FFXI days.

It wasn't like it is now where basically people just go, "I did my job and didn't fuck up any mechanics, so it must be all your guys fault!".

Then there's also the reverse where people don't even want to be taught or try new things. I've encountered that attitude in the english speaking community more times than I can count. Some people get really offended when you try to explain things to a T or help them out. Even if its in a way that isn't offensive or condescending :/

Yeah, I cut my teeth on FFXI, and usually try to be that guy who pushes people for a "one more time" or "we've got this". And also really liked how you had to...well act as if you were in an actual world, not just be out for yourself...although there were still plenty of people like that in XI as well.

I just cant see how someone would get offended if you tried to explain in a non-condescending way...hell i'd love that to happen in any situation that I wasnt 100% prepared for. I have seen a couple people go "lol lets just go" and dive in, even though we had a couple experienced people with us.

Perfecto.....

Yeah, I cut my teeth on FFXI, and usually try to be that guy who pushes people for a "one more time" or "we've got this". And also really liked how you had to...well act as if you were in an actual world, not just be out for yourself...although there were still plenty of people like that in XI as well.

I try do that myself. Urging people to give it one more chance is far better than shouting about how everyone but you is fucking up and "git gud". I miss those days players with common courtesy and a general "niceness" about them. That kind of social interactivity is long dead and gone in most modern MMOs

I just cant see how someone would get offended if you tried to explain in a non-condescending way...hell i'd love that to happen in any situation that I wasnt 100% prepared for. I have seen a couple people go "lol lets just go" and dive in, even though we had a couple experienced people with us.

Literally had it happen the other day doing A4 normal with a new tank who was new to the fight entirely. Admitted to not watching a video yada yada. I tried to explain to my co-tank how he needed to soak orbs that would appear and target players, tried to tell him about the quarantine, tried to tell him about the laser's and jagd dolls. Halfway through the explanation dude tells me he doesn't give a shit and "lol just go pull". The only thing he would do throughout every attempt is Fell Cleave spam on the legs-didn't soak 1 orb, didn't try to absorb the lasers, didn't try to help dps jagd dolls after quarantine. To my amazement people stuck around for all these wipes for the better part of 20mins before people threw there hands up and it was done.

What do you even do with people like this?

This isn't the first time this has happened to me :/

Omni

It's so jarring doing pre-3.0 activities with my Bard. Noticed it yesterday. It feels like a different job. Would be nice if WM could be used at low level. Though I suppose that would require a total rework to make the damage output worth it //shrug.

Ken

It's so jarring doing pre-3.0 activities with my Bard. Noticed it yesterday. It feels like a different job. Would be nice if WM could be used at low level. Though I suppose that would require a total rework to make the damage output worth it //shrug.

Well, as long as they give you all your 50-60 skills, the numbers should be fine since everything is potency based.

Found on Reddit.

Reddit Link

A Japanese player calls into LBR and talks about NA in regards to FC/Static/PUG's clearing difficult content.

Haven't finished watching the whole thing but the basic gist I've got so far is that NA servers focus way too much on their FC and Statics while ignoring the PUG scene.

NA players avoid pugging because the vast majority of Western MMO players are unbelievable asswipes.

I'm not into the whole "I love Japan because Japan is awesome" mindset but the reality is that the JP players are just different.

I'm more or less at the point where the community of MMOs is no longer worthwhile to me. FFXIV is and probably was my last MMO, my MMO career really feels like it's over at this point. My first MMO was Asheron's Call, so it's been a really long career. The MMO ommunity is just so awful these days and it's hard to imagine it will ever get better. At least the really really really awful people are too busy playing DOTA2 and LoL these days to bother with MMOs so I guess there's that.

Omni

Well, as long as they give you all your 50-60 skills, the numbers should be fine since everything is potency based.
That could work I suppose. Was kinda thinking that allowing all of those skills to be used would be a bit OP in old content though. Plus it would screw over the level unlocks a bit. Maybe if they just made WM unlock at level 20 or something and adjusted everything else to work with that so it's not a dps loss without the extra 50-60 abilities xD

Never gonna happen but it's such a mess right now, I think

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Haven't listened to that link, but as someone who played only on a Japanese server, I must say that pugging there is awesome - I was able to finish T13 pre-3.0 with a DF group, same with T12 (first group with one wipe).

For harder content people usually quit after the first 15 minutes if it's going very poorly, but cases where someone gets angry are extremely rare - it happened to me maybe 2-3 times since the launch.

Sorry if it's not what the guy on twitch was talking about :p

IvorB

Haven't listened to that link, but as someone who played only on a Japanese server, I must say that pugging there is awesome - I was able to finish T13 pre-3.0 with a DF group, same with T12 (first group with one wipe).

For harder content people usually quit after the first 15 minutes if it's going very poorly, but cases where someone gets angry are extremely rare - it happened to me maybe 2-3 times since the launch.

That sounds really awesome. I still remember the nightmare of trying to clear T9 in public groups.

Isaccard

Must be nice

Valor

I still think many people create groups for the wrong reasons on NA servers. I do think a lot of people are just looking for carries and not how to learn how to do stuff, especially harder content. Joining a learning party PF on ultros started by a single person is likely to never get filled up. It becomes an instance of how much do you value your time, which I believe is the predominant mindset on NA servers. If I'm going to spend my time on this, I want it to be spent in a positive direction.

Tabris

I'm not into the whole "I love Japan because Japan is awesome" mindset

I don't like most anime and only anime I do is from when I was younger. I don't own any figurines (the asian statues in my apartment are from Chinese literature). I play more western games then Japanese games right now. I don't like sushi. Check the rest of the non-otaku non-weeaboo checkmarks.

But having been to Japan twice - I can say I love Japan because Japan is awesome. Specifically Tokyo. Love the mega city vibe, the shopping, the restaurants, the urban design, the cleanliness, and most important, the politeness of the culture. Everyone there is always just so nice and polite to you. It's so refreshing, and this is coming from a Canadian who's used to politeness. It may be a fake politeness but whatever, it's still great to me. Tokyo is on my top 5 list of cities I plan to live in at some point in my life.

So Japan is awesome :)

IvorB

I don't like most anime and only anime I do is from when I was younger. I don't own any figurines (the asian statues in my apartment are from Chinese literature). I play more western games then Japanese games right now. I don't like sushi. Check the rest of the non-otaku non-weeaboo checkmarks.

But having been to Japan twice - I can say I love Japan because Japan is awesome. Specifically Tokyo. Love the mega city vibe, the shopping, the restaurants, the urban design, the cleanliness, and most important, the politeness of the culture. Everyone there is always just so nice and polite to you. It's so refreshing, and this is coming from a Canadian who's used to politeness. It may be a fake politeness but whatever, it's still great to me. Tokyo is on my top 5 list of cities I plan to live in at some point in my life.

So Japan is awesome :)

Japanese people are awesome. Typically so friendly, nice and polite. Love them.

Jeels

That sounds awesome - how do people get over the communication barrier - just use chat? That is my bigger problem with pug groups is that if you have a dedicated (or even FC get together) group, you can go on mumble and chat it up. Communication over chat live during fights really makes it easier to complete the fight and make sure everyone is doing their roll. It is near impossible to type things out during some of the more engaging fights in this game. You just can't do that live communication with randoms.

AwShucks

I've gotta skip all the hate in these threads just to post my status update. I'm into Before The Fall, just cleared Keeper of the Lake. Trying to wrap up through the patches before next Monday/Tuesday when StarCraft 2 is back.

Last week before the big patch, going to cap the last bit of esoterics but unsure what to get for my MNK.

I should have enough for two accessories, and be rid of all i180 pieces. Or I could get either hands or feet (using i190 right now). I've noticed I'm lacking in skill speed on many pieces. While some guides stress crit hit and determination on as many pieces as you can.

I'm considering just getting the last two accessories, and use food that boosts skill speed and concentrate just working on getting gear from the new content anyway.

WolvenOne

Friendly reminder, today is the last day to do the Halloween event quests. If you haven't already, get your broom immediately! XD

Squishy3

That sounds awesome - how do people get over the communication barrier - just use chat? That is my bigger problem with pug groups is that if you have a dedicated (or even FC get together) group, you can go on mumble and chat it up. Communication over chat live during fights really makes it easier to complete the fight and make sure everyone is doing their roll. It is near impossible to type things out during some of the more engaging fights in this game. You just can't do that live communication with randoms.
The way I understand it is they do it over and over until everyone understands every mechanic, and no communication is needed. You don't need to communicate when everyone knows what everyone is going to be doing at each step of the fight.

I'm going to use Ravana EX as an example (as I've not done Alex Savage) where everyone needs to understand everything about Final Liberation.

Final Liberation is extremely easy to deal with, but most groups attempting it now probably run around with their heads cut off when it happens.

No communication is needed for Final Liberation, because at the end of the day, the mechanics only end up affecting 4 out of the 8 people in the party. If all 8 people know what to do when Final Liberation occurs (if you have prey, run to A or C, take the hit, then pass it off to the tank and go to B) and then the tanks move away from the party and the people with liberation circles on them spread out, and the rest of the group moves to the middle and is already avoiding the next AOE.

WolvenOne

So, funny thing, the 18th Floor is apparently still in the game. They just removed the entrance when the seasonal event ended.

Somebody whom logged out in the 18th floor came back after a long hiatus, and was plopped right back into upon return. XD

Teknoman

Step up your wpm son.

lol but yeah I know what you mean. Sometimes you can hurry with a line during a period where the enemy might be charging or in between phases. With randoms or even people in the FC who might not be able to use mumble atm (console players, other issues, etc), going over a plan or discussing certain things before the battle will have to do I guess.

Yasumi Matsuno bakes 4* Bacon Bread

Recipe from the video:
Flour - 280g
Sugar - 5g
Salt - 4g
Dry yeast - 2g
Milk - 50ml
Water - 130ml
Bacon - 4 rashers, thin
Serves four

1. Mix the wet and dry ingredients to make the dough, and let it rise for about 80 minutes.
2. Separate the dough into four pieces.
3. Let the dough rest another 15 minutes.
4. Roll the dough out into a flat strip. Apply bacon. Roll into tube shape.
5. Place baguettes in oven, and let the dough rise for about 45 minutes at 35 centigrade.
6. Remove baguettes, cut diagonally into the dough with scissors and place the points in a left to right pattern so that the baguette resembles a wheat sheaf.
7. Bake for 20 minutes at 220 centigrade.
8. Ingest.

I thought I'd have a go myself. Maybe I never read the tooltip, but I always thought that these were like German käsestange cheese sticks with bacon - didn't realise they were epi baguettes. At any rate, I never made epi baguettes before, so I seriously fucked up cutting it into the wheat pattern. Turns out you have to be pretty brave with the cuts. The shape of my own baguettes were too heinous to take a picture of.

Trip report:
The shape was NQ, but the taste was HQ.
There are no mistakes, only happy little accidents.
Also, I can't deal with all this bread I have now.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Yeah, it's just chat. Granted those very hard fights I did through DF were post-echo, but usually someone had a neat macro explaining the positioning for all phases, assigned numbers etc.
People expect you to read up on strategies, but since those pop up quite early on, it hasn't really been a problem, if you're willing to learn what you're supposed to do.

I'm committing a cardinal sin by pushing as WAR with Defiance up. Its being met with mixed results in Seize, but the healers seem to wanna focus me if I try to push solo-dolo which makes others follow.

Zhao_Yun

Late to the party, but my group managed to down A2S tonight. Finally time to experience the difficulty of A3S. We can only raid like 1-2 times a week, so that might take us a while....

MechaX

Friendly reminder, today is the last day to do the Halloween event quests. If you haven't already, get your broom immediately! XD

I had a complete memory block as to whether or not I did this, but I am sure I got the broom (and then afk-signed out as Azys Lla).

I swear, I need something else to do in this game, at least before I convert to the dark side and play FFXI.

iammeiam

Guys, 3.1 is coming in seven days to resurrect the game
for like two weeks
! Just hold out a little longer!

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
for like two weeks
Can I do Ravioli or Nabisco Ex in DF?
Can I get Esos any easier/quicker?
Will any new dungeons/raids drop i190 or above?
Was BRD fixed?
Were those new hairstyles a joke and are they keeping the real new hairs a secret?

Guess Who

Banned
Can I do Ravioli or Nabisco Ex in DF?
Can I get Esos any easier/quicker?
Will any new dungeons/raids drop i190 or above?
Was BRD fixed?
Were those new hairstyles a joke and are they keeping the real new hairs a secret?

Yes, kinda, yes, no :(, no.

RPGCrazied

Probably not, but can you macro any of the graphic settings? I like the game to look as good as possible, but during fates or larger battles my fps gets iffy.

I'd love to be able to macro shadow resolution the most. Really don't want to keep opening the configuration window just to change it. I can play fine with it on high until I do a fate with folks.

I've searched on this and couldn't find anything.

Wazzy

Banned
Finally have my eso weapon which means I have helmet, weapon and body. I'm hoping to finish up BizEx and Ravana before patch and then try savage later when I have a bit more gear.

for like two weeks

Well, I plan to resub so I can do Void Ark once since I'm not going to grind that or anything else anymore for gear I won't use since I don't raid. And then maybe I'll check out Exploration Islands a few times to see what's on there, I don't need materia though since I don't raid.

Think that will last me
two weeks?

Apoptomon

It's probably been mentioned, but does the Ark fit in the same slot as CT (that is, between tome gear and raid gear) ? I remember comments that CT fit in a bit awkwardly to the ilvl scale because it was delayed a patch, and yet once more in 3.0 the 'hardcore' raid was available before the 'casual' one.

Probably not, but can you macro any of the graphic settings? I like the game to look as good as possible, but during fates or larger battles my fps gets iffy.

I'd love to be able to macro shadow resolution the most. Really don't want to keep opening the configuration window just to change it. I can play fine with it on high until I do a fate with folks.

I've searched on this and couldn't find anything.

I don't think you can access any such config settings directly, but maybe it would help to turn down spell effects? You can do that in a macro (e.g. /bfx other off).

Valor

Well, I plan to resub so I can do Void Ark once since I'm not going to grind that or anything else anymore for gear I won't use since I don't raid. And then maybe I'll check out Exploration Islands a few times to see what's on there, I don't need materia though since I don't raid.

Think that will last me
two weeks?

Do you still raid?

It's probably been mentioned, but does the Ark fit in the same slot as CT (that is, between tome gear and raid gear) ? I remember comments that CT fit in a bit awkwardly to the ilvl scale because it was delayed a patch, and yet once more in 3.0 the 'hardcore' raid was available before the 'casual' one.

The original intent was to have the 24-man "casual" raid be before the 8-man "hardcore" raid to get you geared up for the 8-man.

But now I guess the intent is to have the 24-man "casual" raid and also Hunts be used for people "catching up" on gear to do the 8-man.

I guess they like the content release order they have now. The original Coil was open right when ARR dropped, which was not the intended release order as CT was supposed to come first. However it gave players something to chew on right away until content cut from 2.0 could be added in 2.1. This is why 2.1 was such an enormous content patch, it was mostly content cut from 2.0's release so it could make the long-planned release date. The stalling tactic of making Coil available right away proved to be an effective one and then 2.1 came around and players were just swimming in new content.

The idea remained sound in 3.0, to give players Alex Savage to chew on right away and keep them busy while the dev team took a vacation. But 3.1 is looking like a really content-bare patch compared to 2.1 and really almost all of 3.1's content is basically geared for people who raid whereas 2.1 was full of content that casuals and raiders could both enjoy. It's not likely at all that 3.1 will revitalize and reinvigorate the player base the way 2.1 did.

WolvenOne

Not sure I'd call 3.1 content bare, even in comparison to 2.1. Fewer trials are being added, sure, but Sky Island exploration looks pretty beefy,and most the other additions are about on point with 2.1.

Besides, only two features were delayed from 2.0 to 2.1. Wolves Den and Crystal Tower. The reason it had so many more Trials is because at the time the game had fewer features to update, so they gave us the Extreme Primals, which I do not believe were originally planned.

All those Extremes did have an effect though. It was almost the equivalent of adding a whole other raid like Coil. Alas, it's hard to add so many trials at a time when they have so many other features they need to update as well. That's a shame, since raiders tend to care about Extreme Primals.

Ken

Watching Arthars do A1S on NA.

WAR MT after Faust wipe:
[15:32](Akeno Silvervale) Ill admit thats my bad i dont have over power on my hot bad xD
[15:33](Akeno Silvervale) Cause i dont ever need it

NA2strong

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Watching Arthars do A1S on NA.

WAR MT after Faust wipe:
[15:32](Akeno Silvervale) Ill admit thats my bad i dont have over power on my hot bad xD
[15:33](Akeno Silvervale) Cause i dont ever need it

NA2strong

It's okay he just has to be patient and teach people what they lack

Omni

It was today I realised that I'm a bad healer.

During Stone Vigil, someone used limit break on a mob of three enemies. I wrote in chat "Did someone just use lb? xD" and then the Summoner who used it started ranting at me and told me to mind my own business. No idea why he was so aggressive but yanno. Then came quite a few insults so I decided to stop healing him. Period. But it didn't stop there...

Second boss I purposely didn't fire the cannons until he died. No raises either. Made sure to top off everyone but him. Boss didn't take long to kill with me in cleric and spamming stone, so it didn't negatively impact the party. Rest of the dungeon was just me ignoring and him getting mad. And dying.

>.>

Top Bottom