• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Tabris

We will have to agree to disagree because I think the spectrum is different then you think it is.

My main point I guess is if doing more is possible, why not try to improve to get there? The resources are out there and then it's a case of learning and practicing it.

Because some people don't have the desire to change their percentiles.

I'm for what you are saying, I'm just saying it's not realistic for a lot of players and groups so you need to balance that skill spectrum with a gear spectrum that is quicker then the current gearing system and fight tuning allows.

Ken

knights of the rounds ex weapons for pld, drg and monk from jp pr blog site

The MNK weapon looks like a beer bottle opener + pizza cutter + can opener.

Such a missed opportunity for KotR armor glamour. To the cash shop I suppose.

Squishy3

I just did Singularity Reactor again since someone in my FC reached the end of HW, and hoo boy am I ready for that fight to not be a total cakewalk.

I think you're gonna get him cranky if you mention this to him.

CSLT0vRUYAAfA-4.jpg:large

Sora = Elissa's DPS
Riku = Eve's reaction

Found on Reddit.

Reddit Link

A Japanese player calls into LBR and talks about NA in regards to FC/Static/PUG's clearing difficult content.

Haven't finished watching the whole thing but the basic gist I've got so far is that NA servers focus way too much on their FC and Statics while ignoring the PUG scene.

It figures that SE finally makes Monk weapons that are actual gauntlets in the same patch that they put in the invisible Monk weapon glamours. XD

Valor

Found on Reddit.

Reddit Link

A Japanese player calls into LBR and talks about NA in regards to FC/Static/PUG's clearing difficult content.

Haven't finished watching the whole thing but the basic gist I've got so far is that NA servers focus way too much on their FC and Statics while ignoring the PUG scene.
I think he has some decent points but his main point of contention was poking fun at NA for Elysium clearing content first, people rallying behind them, then the general population still being shitters at large.

He's not totally wrong, but still. He has decent points about how your pug community is going to suck if people don't treat content as pug friendly. Maybe it has something to do with why people run content. I'm not opposed to helping people learn the fights but it feels like the amount of people who actually want to learn to be good is incredibly tiny especially when compared to the amount of people who want to be carried to their shiny new/old gear. Maybe I just have a perception problem though like the hosts did. Many people, myself included, write off the idea of pugs as being less than undesirable. I think it'll take more than a few words to change the way that most NA people think and operate, but who knows.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
A guy from Chocobo, a server predominantly consisting of hardcore Japanese gamers, calls out servers with largely casual audience. A bunch of wannabe showmen feign shock. Cats and dogs start living together.

LBR physically hurts to listen to.

Edit: And then he just goes off the deep end. Amazing.

BadRNG

The problem is that A3 should be the final encounter of the raid cycle, not the next to last one. The incentive to clear it to be done with the raid content versus clear it to run into a brick wall of A4 is not super enticing to many people. A3 is pretty tightly tuned but it's also pretty relaxed at this stage where if you have mechanics down you can clear it with a death or two. I don't see a super huge problem really.
A3 should of been the final encounter because it is actually a lot of fun and fits the mold of T5/T9/T13, tight tuning but with interesting mechanics and that wild idea of actually being fun to execute. It's the perfect level of escalation of complexity as fight progresses, and there's a real "identity" to the encounter. It's memorable.

A4 is just a terrible fight, and none of my issues with it are due to difficulty, it's just how it's designed. You never feel like you're actually fighting a real boss, just pieces of one, which is a major sin for being the final fight of any given tier. To make matters worse the majority of encounter is doing the same thing over and over with small changes. It's "only" a 13m enrage fight but it feels like 20m, just goes on and on forever with bad gimmicks. Making it four legs was probably the biggest mistake they made, it's like it was tacked on just to make the encounter "savage" without actually considering how the fight felt pacing wise or even trying to make the individual legs interesting. And don't even get me started on the camera bullshit.

You could probably argue this issue was present in normal mode too, but it's just not as big a deal because it's tuned so low you can blow by it quickly and not really think about it. A3 normal was always my favorite there too, it is just a fight with great feel and personality. I don't know how they would of justified Jigglybutt as the final boss in that
shitty
goblin story but he was a far more deserving final encounter than manipulator.

ThinFinn

Just view it as strengthening your Disembowel supplier.

Oh, definitely. I'd rather have a geared Drg/Blm at this point in progression.

Also, didn't the developers mention making adjustments to bards in 3.1. Wonder what changes they have in store for us.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
The justification is that he's a reference to Living Flame from the best(tm) Final Fantasy game and that he's jigglybutt.

scy

A guy from Chocobo, a server predominantly consisting of hardcore Japanese gamers, calls out servers with largely casual audience. A bunch of wannabe showmen feign shock. Cats and dogs start living together.

LBR physically hurts to listen to.

Eh, regardless of all that setup it's still mostly true. I think that's an issue that's fairly widespread in the game right now in general outside of a few servers too. Just not enough people willing to do things and a huge wall in terms of finding that improvement within the game itself. This isn't necessarily about PUGs in general either. Ultros wise, I'm not too concerned about PUGs yet when it's hard enough within FC to do things really. Feel like there should have been more pushes for 4/4 runs for A3S by now. I'd imagine that's not entirely uncommon with this lack of intermingling of raid groups.

That's the most fun of unlock time for raids and why I want to do things like alt raid. Seeing how other people want to approach the fight and just try other roles in them.

A4 is just a terrible fight, and none of my issues with it are due to difficulty, it's just how it's designed. You never feel like you're actually fighting a real boss, just pieces of one, which is a major sin for being the final fight of any given tier. To make matters worse the majority of encounter is doing the same thing over and over with small changes. It's "only" a 13m enrage fight but it feels like 20m, just goes on and on forever with bad gimmicks. Making it four legs was probably the biggest mistake they made, it's like it was tacked on just to make the encounter "savage" without actually considering how the fight felt pacing wise or even trying to make the individual legs interesting. And don't even get me started on the camera bullshit.

A4S is perfectly memorable though. Phase 1 I do things and then fly away. Phase 2 I fly away and randomly Sprint because why not. Phase 3 and 4 I'm hiding under the boss for fear of the sky falling. And then I randomly kill myself because technology is scary. See, memories.

A4S either should have been like ... the first fight with just two legs and ramped up or it should have been with no legs, just 13 minutes of the Manipulator and the various mechanics thrown out there at certain percentages.

iammeiam

I'm going to keep saying this: A4S is terrible because the leg models don't change when you break them. I don't even understand what breaking the legs is supposed to actually do aside from pissing the Manipulator off until he's mad enough to pop out and yell at the damned kids to get off his lawn and sic his attack dolls on you.

Carnage + Quarantine is like the only part of the fight I think was smartly designed (specifically the forcing some level of flexibility in laser coverage.) Most of the rest of it just feels slapdash and incomplete.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Eh, regardless of all that setup it's still mostly true. I think that's an issue that's fairly widespread in the game right now in general outside of a few servers too. Just not enough people willing to do things and a huge wall in terms of finding that improvement within the game itself. This isn't necessarily about PUGs in general either. Ultros wise, I'm not too concerned about PUGs yet when it's hard enough within FC to do things really. Feel like there should have been more pushes for 4/4 runs for A3S by now. I'd imagine that's not entirely uncommon with this lack of intermingling of raid groups.

That's the most fun of unlock time for raids and why I want to do things like alt raid. Seeing how other people want to approach the fight and just try other roles in them.

It's pretty inevitable that in a game with 60-ish servers there's gonna be particular congregations of better players. "Why don't other servers start building up the endgame community" could also be asked as "Why don't high tier guys from Chocobo start teaching people everywhere and spread superior gaming culture". Easy to talk the talk. The entire point of FCs is that people who want to play in a certain way get together. What does he want? For better players to conduct lessons? Inclusiveness quota? You just can't force those things onto people. The reason there is a large PUG community on Chocobo is because there's more better players on Chocobo.

His advice has as much weight as a hearty "git gud".

And players who want to get ahead in this game will get ahead.

Squishy3

Trying to do learning in pug groups is so annoying a lot of times. 2 wipes and people are already giving up.
I remember when pugging Bis EX when groups started consistently getting past the DPS check the groups would fall apart because they coudn't deal with the laughably easy weather phases.

Although I also had my fair share of groups where the people assigned to cannon duty conveniently forgot they had to activate the cannons during the third phase.

scy

His advice has as much weight as a hearty "git gud".

I don't think he was really talking about how to fix problems really and more just about the situation in and of itself. Maybe I should have been paying more attention if there was a lot of "here's how you fix it" thrown out that I missed though.

The PUG scene in general relies on groups randomly made to be capable of carrying through to completion. A lot more on individual responsibility to get the job done consistently regardless. I just think his general point of that PUG scene and why it works it pretty spot on, not necessarily that it's some kind of overall solution for the game as a whole. It's something that builds up and then feeds itself and not really a thing you can force.

Sifl

I remember when pugging Bis EX when groups started consistently getting past the DPS check the groups would fall apart because they coudn't deal with the laughably easy weather phases.

Although I also had my fair share of groups where the people assigned to cannon duty conveniently forgot they had to activate the cannons during the third phase.

There's a lot going on during the 2nd part and 99% of the time the healers are supposed to activate the cannons, so I can understand it maybe slipping your mind or maybe not noticing the notification. The weather I never understood, like if your camera is zoomed in then zoom it out so you can see. Unless your'e colorblind or something there shouldn't be a reason you can't tell the difference.

WolvenOne

I might note that, helping players to get a clear can actually be fun, especially when they're actively doing thier best to help.

The problem especially in conjunction with raiding, is that it can be hard to find people to help players learn the content. Let's say that you want to help a player learn A1S, so he has an easier time finding a static or what not. Well, you've got to find time when you and your friend are both playing, after you've gotten your clear, then you need to find up to six other players that have also cleared for the week, and are also willing to jump in and help, at the same time you and your friend can go in.

That's certainly doable, but it's not always easy. Also, that's just A1S, which is mechanically simple in comparison to some of the later floors. Trying to teach somebody one of those floors is a far bigger time and effort investment. Maybe if people could go in without worrying about gimp in thier own groups drops it'd be a bit easier to organize, but even then it'd be tough.

This person certainly does have a point, and a healthy raiding community probably does need to make an effort to train people up. Alexander Savage just isn't designed for this however.

Wazzy

Banned
I'll at least have three eso pieces by the time 3.1 comes around. xD

I have helmet and body and I'm getting weapon tomorrow.

Teknoman

Found on Reddit.

Reddit Link

Thats seems to be pretty close. I wonder if japanese servers have more world conversations and random grouping going on in that case? Further the skill level of everyone?

Trying to do learning in pug groups is so annoying a lot of times. 2 wipes and people are already giving up.

This is what got to me during the early primal learning parties. I'm not just saying this because of Undertale's popularity either, but there is a lack of determination alot of the time. People seem to feel that if they fail a couple times, then a third time win is virtually impossible.

There really isnt much of a penalty for losing in XIV, and the battles arent that long...so why would someone give up so easy?

Squishy3

There's a lot going on during the 2nd part and 99% of the time the healers are supposed to activate the cannons, so I can understand it maybe slipping your mind or maybe not noticing the notification. The weather I never understood, like if your camera is zoomed in then zoom it out so you can see. Unless your'e colorblind or something there shouldn't be a reason you can't tell the difference.
The problem is with the example I provided of people forgetting to activate the cannons, is in most PUG groups I did it with, is what caused the group to break up.

A mistake that is easily rectified the next run, was somehow enough to cause people to go "well fuck this is uncompletable with this group gg no re"

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
This is why I never run my daily anymore.

Well, not really. It's because I have nothing to spend Esoterics on anymore, but the possibility of Neverreap doesn't help.

Pick up the book for EX :p

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
If we're being cynical, you could say it doesn't have much to compete with.

chrono01

Pick up the book for EX :p
Book, as in SMN book? Come on, we both know it'll just rot in my inventory, taking up space. No thanks, I'll just sit Esoteric cap until they give me something else to spend them on. >_<

Minions?
Mounts?
Crafting Materials?

SOMETHING!

BLCKATK

If we're being cynical, you could say it doesn't have much to compete with.

I'm personally pretty hyped for The Diadem. The idea sounds fun and it's place in the progression seems concrete. I really hope it delivers on being a fun piece of content to do with FC members, that is worth doing for weeks until 3.2.

Wilsongt

Book, as in SMN book? Come on, we both know it'll just rot in my inventory, taking up space. No thanks, I'll just sit Esoteric cap until they give me something else to spend them on. >_<

Minions?
Mounts?
Crafting Materials?

SOMETHING!

The fact that in the trailer the plush pillow is roaming around the battlefield is hilarious to me.

This is what got to me during the early primal learning parties. I'm not just saying this because of Undertale's popularity either, but there is a lack of determination alot of the time. People seem to feel that if they fail a couple times, then a third time win is virtually impossible.

There really isnt much of a penalty for losing in XIV, and the battles arent that long...so why would someone give up so easy?

Chalk it up to a little bit of entitlement plus a little bit of the instant gratification age where people can't wait and the casualfication of the MMO genre.

People do fights over and over again and fail each time at them. It develops into this sort of mindset where they feel like they're entitled to a win, and anyone that gets in the way of that is a problem to be vote-kicked. That includes newbies just learning the fight and vets who made a simple slip up. People put undue pressure on other players to perform at levels that even themselves and other players can't maintain. If people don't adhere to these unrealistic expectations its pretty easy to disappear into the DF (which is why I think savage modes aren't as popular as they could be; you can't DF them). People don't even want to try because they can't be guranteed a win.

In the past these kind of players were weeded out simply by the nature of the game. Most MMOs didn't have a DF back then, and peoples tolerance levels for these kinds of players was low, because player cooperation was prioritized. Thats not to say that it isn't in this game but it was more emphasized in older MMOs like 11. Eventually word got around that you were a bonefied shithead so you wouldn't have to deal with that individual anymore. Word travels fast when your only dealing with maybe 1500-2000 people at any given time with no "DF" equivalent to escape to. Not to mention MMOs were a lot harder, so you were forced to learn the game at some point or another-though I won't deny carrying people did happen in my Everquest/FFXI days.

It wasn't like it is now where basically people just go, "I did my job and didn't fuck up any mechanics, so it must be all your guys fault!".

Then there's also the reverse where people don't even want to be taught or try new things. I've encountered that attitude in the english speaking community more times than I can count. Some people get really offended when you try to explain things to a T or help them out. Even if its in a way that isn't offensive or condescending :/

Top Bottom