• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Valor

Watching Arthars do A1S on NA.

WAR MT after Faust wipe:
[15:32](Akeno Silvervale) Ill admit thats my bad i dont have over power on my hot bad xD
[15:33](Akeno Silvervale) Cause i dont ever need it

NA2strong

Welcome to NA pug, Arthars.

117062-Jurassic-Park-glasses-off-gif-oJyQ.gif

I like that outfit.

Watching Arthars do A1S on NA.

WAR MT after Faust wipe:
[15:32](Akeno Silvervale) Ill admit thats my bad i dont have over power on my hot bad xD
[15:33](Akeno Silvervale) Cause i dont ever need it

NA2strong
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tF4JTd61xco&t=0m14s

Munba

Pretty hyped for the FF11 event.

I would love to visit LaThein Plateau remade in FF14 graphics, in a future event. ;_;

Stuart444

It was today I realised that I'm a bad healer.

During Stone Vigil, someone used limit break on a mob of three enemies. I wrote in chat "Did someone just use lb? xD" and then the Summoner who used it started ranting at me and told me to mind my own business. No idea why he was so aggressive but yanno. Then came quite a few insults so I decided to stop healing him. Period. But it didn't stop there...

Second boss I purposely didn't fire the cannons until he died. No raises either. Made sure to top off everyone but him. Boss didn't take long to kill with me in cleric and spamming stone, so it didn't negatively impact the party. Rest of the dungeon was just me ignoring and him getting mad. And dying.

>.>

Sounds like you did the right thing :)

Frumix

Suffering From Success
It was today I realised that I'm a bad healer.

During Stone Vigil, someone used limit break on a mob of three enemies. I wrote in chat "Did someone just use lb? xD" and then the Summoner who used it started ranting at me and told me to mind my own business. No idea why he was so aggressive but yanno. Then came quite a few insults so I decided to stop healing him. Period. But it didn't stop there...

Second boss I purposely didn't fire the cannons until he died. No raises either. Made sure to top off everyone but him. Boss didn't take long to kill with me in cleric and spamming stone, so it didn't negatively impact the party. Rest of the dungeon was just me ignoring and him getting mad. And dying.

>.>

Considering LB1 tends to do comparatively negligible damage any way, using it on 3+ mobs is a good idea. That SMN doesn't sound like a piece of happiness but your behavior isn't commendable either.

Omni

Sounds like you did the right thing :)

Haha naa. I was childish. But you shouldn't annoy the only person keeping you alive! :p

Considering LB1 tends to do comparatively negligible damage any way, using it on 3+ mobs is a good idea. That SMN doesn't sound like a piece of happiness but your behavior isn't commendable either.
Oh yeah. I wasn't complaining even if the mob was almost dead and it was a bit unnecessary. It was more like "Oh did that just happen?!" and I laughed.

Stuart444

Haha naa. I was childish. But you shouldn't annoy the only person keeping you alive! :p

Tbf, he was childish and you just acted in kind ;)

a better response from him instead of insults would have been "I just wanted to use it" or something like that. No idea why some people take anything (such as what you said originally) as an attack on them >.>

Alex

This person certainly does have a point, and a healthy raiding community probably does need to make an effort to train people up. Alexander Savage just isn't designed for this however.

You can only go so far in blaming a userbase, it seems like a nice easy way out but the reality is just how flawed the content is.

This game does not have the content or tools for a healthy end game. There's a reason why people are this bitter and and no it's not just the MMO norm. I've never, ever fought as hard to get rudimentary stuff done in ARR and HW than I have in any other MMO in the past 15 years the current setup just leads to a toxic environment, This game doesn't have some special blend like a Guild Wars or something, it's end game is just straight up an attempt at WoW but without anywhere near that kind of spread. It makes a great first impression but when it starts to chug you feel it like none other.

Right now the core base gets bored and bitter as they quickly obtain mastery over everything and barely feel any growth or change in their play and the nature of the content and poor laddering keeps new players out. Also doesn't help that all the gating and point systems makes alts pretty much a non-starter in a lot of cases. Either they need to increase spending and make real end game tiers or I genuinely feel like they'd be better taking the next expansion and just slamming the thing with a sledge hammer and coming up with a new approach, even going retro would be significantly better than the current state as right now the end game simply does not work.

I hope I don't sound like some troll, but man I'd really had liked to stay around in HW for more than a couple months. I like a lot about the game but the current end game and the manner in which battle content is treated is just sad stuff. While I ultimately had a very positive opinion on the campaign and new world in HW, I was really surprised how next to nothing I wanted for end game really came to light like new stats, set bonuses, procs, more options for gearing/rewards, class customization and better utilization of content (ie; dungeons and raid laddering).

In the end though, I feel like they'd just be better off cooling off of their raid game and making something less intense and more renewable, maybe just utilize Primals for those goals, rewards and variety. Would also allow them to open up flood gates on wild class designs and customization without having to sweat bullets with every patch. I mean right now they've clung to the WOTLK school of design so hard that they can't even deliver a Red Mage, one of the pillars of Final Fantasy.

Lren

Tbf, he was childish and you just acted in kind ;)

a better response from him instead of insults would have been "I just wanted to use it" or something like that. No idea why some people take anything (such as what you said originally) as an attack on them >.>

It can be hard to convey tone over text, so things can sometimes sound more antagonistic, I suppose. Still, with how he worded it, they shouldn't have gotten bent out of shape about it.

Just waiting on dailies to refresh, so I can continue to debate what to use esoterics on. And then immediately change my mind to another thing, rinse and repeat.

Stuart444

It can be hard to convey tone over text, so things can sometimes sound more antagonistic,

Yeah, that's true. It's why I tend to use emotes and smilies a lot. I feel they add some tone to my text. (plus I've used them so much that my fingers automatically type them >.>)

I figured the "xD" part would make it obvious that he wasn't taking it too seriously when asking about LB being used so the sudden "grrrr, mind your own business, blah blah" seems stupid to me.

iammeiam

All those Extremes did have an effect though. It was almost the equivalent of adding a whole other raid like Coil. Alas, it's hard to add so many trials at a time when they have so many other features they need to update as well. That's a shame, since raiders tend to care about Extreme Primals.

In retrospect, 2.1 was sort of the high point of handling Primals and maximizing the longevity of content. The story/HM/EX iterations of the original three let them get a lot of mileage out of the same basic fight design. They also all dropped semi useful accessories, and the primal weapons for the weekly quest added an interesting gearing option. Ultima HM was the same basic concept, again with somewhat useful accessories. Mog HM is probably the last time the HM tag was used on a primal that wasn't a snooze-fest faceroll on release? But IIRC he also wasn't part of the main story, so they could get away with some level of challenge.

Compare to where we are now. HM is now slapped on the faceroll main story iterations of primals. The EX versions are involved but not really all that difficult (Bis and Ravana got outgeared pretty fast.) We're basically getting the equivalent of Ultimate HM this patch, and that's it. Primals only drop weapons, and since completion of prior primals isn't required for new ones each new primal renders all the old ones completely obsolete. The HM/original version of a given primal since 2.2 is mostly a time to wildly flail at buttons and speculate about how cool the EX version could potentially be.

3.1 desperately could have used Bismarck and Ravana Savage, dropping i210 accessories (give Bismarck the only non-Savage second i210 ring option and people might actually run him!) The three difficulty tier they had going with the original primals in 2.1 is probably one of the best things the game ever did, and it's a bummer to see them shy away from it. It's also why I can't ever really hope they'll move on to three difficulty tiers in the raids themselves. They can't even do it for one-off fights anymore.

Redx508

Hate to be a pain in the ass. Can someone post the times? I'm blocked from lodestone at work.

[Date & Time]
Nov. 9, 2015 1:00 a.m. to Nov. 10, 2015 1:00 a.m. (PST)
* Completion time is subject to change.

[Affected Worlds]
All Worlds

IvorB

Soooo what's everyone gonna do first when they log in post patch? I guess most stuff is gonna be locked behind MSQ...

Soooo what's everyone gonna do first when they log in post patch? I guess most stuff is gonna be locked behind MSQ...

Get whatever I need that's left to do the new content like Void Ark + dungeons and the new EX fight.

I haven't played in a while because of Tales of Zestiria but I think I'm close to the cap needed for a bunch of the new stuff (ilvl 170?).

iammeiam

I'm pro doing the 24 man first because it's pretty much your only chance for an actual unspoiled/blind run across the alliance, and immediately after server go-live is the absolute best time to run anything with DF randoms since the player pool is pretty heavily hardcore.

So probably Void Ark, then main story stuff to get it out of the way (vice verse if MSQ is required for Void Ark.) My interest in airship stuff is pretty heavily dependent on what it actually ends up being so I may tag along on groups after that.

Thordan EX is apparently not gated behind anything in specific so l'll unlock early but who knows when workable groups for that will actually start forming.

Sorian

Banned
I'm pro doing the 24 man first because it's pretty much your only chance for an actual unspoiled/blind run across the alliance, and immediately after server go-live is the absolute best time to run anything with DF randoms since the player pool is pretty heavily hardcore.

Quoted for truth

WolvenOne

Just to comment on something said earlier. I'd actually agree that they need to hire a couple more people, and get a better spread of trials in this game. That's the one thing I feel like 2.0 has done better than 3.0.

Also, I'll reiterate that Alex Savage is just too much of a step up over regular Alex, and even FCOB. Thier desire to make a raid that couldn't be cleared quickly clearly clouded thier judgement here.

IvorB

Beastmen dailies. Gotta get it in early so I can double up that day.

Oh I forgot those are coming too. I think I want to get that dance emote since it reminds me of the rugby war cries we used to do in high school. Those dailies become a real chore after a while though. I hope they've made them a bit more varied this time.

Get whatever I need that's left to do the new content like Void Ark + dungeons and the new EX fight.

I haven't played in a while because of Tales of Zestiria but I think I'm close to the cap needed for a bunch of the new stuff (ilvl 170?).

I hope I should be up-to-date on everything.

So probably Void Ark, then main story stuff to get it out of the way (vice verse if MSQ is required for Void Ark.) My interest in airship stuff is pretty heavily dependent on what it actually ends up being so I may tag along on groups after that.

Thordan EX is apparently not gated behind anything in specific so l'll unlock early but who knows when workable groups for that will actually start forming.

Yeah Void Ark blind sounds like it could be a pretty good shout. Though there's definitely an attraction to just hitting Thordan Ex blind to see how badly he will rip everyone's faces off.

scy

In retrospect, 2.1 was sort of the high point of handling Primals and maximizing the longevity of content.

It's amazing that they have found ways to get worse at maximizing content usage as time went by. Less and less ways of using primals as anything more than a diversion with no real use. I'm still not sure which was worse, Odin HM as a glamour only thing or Bismarck EX as a useless weapon tier. Reactor EX is supposed to be useful again as a stopgap solution but it doesn't leave a lot of hope for them to continue.

3.1 desperately could have used Bismarck and Ravana Savage, dropping i210 accessories (give Bismarck the only non-Savage second i210 ring option and people might actually run him!) The three difficulty tier they had going with the original primals in 2.1 is probably one of the best things the game ever did, and it's a bummer to see them shy away from it.

It's also weird just in the sense of resources needed for those would be a lot less than other things. If they talk about needing time off due to an expansion push (that was late an entire quarter) and that their team still isn't that large, you'd think finding ways to recycle assets would be priority 1 again.

Void Ark for the wild flailing at it to figure out mechanics. Early on is the best time for really good blind parties. Them all the filler MSQ stuff probably.

Sorian

Banned
I don't understand why they don't go back to a full story mode/hard mode/extreme mode for primals again. First MMO I've seen in awhile that is scared to reuse old content for some reason. I mean, obviously new fresh content is preferred but when you are going to have light patches anyway, retooling a fight or two is an easy way to fill things out and fans really don't mind. I love doing most fights in this game and really, I just need a reason to, I'm sure most of the community feels the same way.

Squishy3

Just to comment on something said earlier. I'd actually agree that they need to hire a couple more people, and get a better spread of trials in this game. That's the one thing I feel like 2.0 has done better than 3.0.

Also, I'll reiterate that Alex Savage is just too much of a step up over regular Alex, and even FCOB. Thier desire to make a raid that couldn't be cleared quickly clearly clouded thier judgement here.
A1S isn't that much of a step up, at least in my experience. Someone in my FC set up a group with most of us being from the FC and freelance healers and we ended up making it to enrage in like 5 runs (then one of the tanks got called in to work and we had to stop a run or two after) and the run we made it to enrage on was full of mistakes and we had a few deaths.

Granted, I guess that's the exception and not the norm for the player base, of course.

Haven't done A2S yet, so can't comment on that but watching the videos it just seems to require coordination more than anything and getting used to it. Of course I know that A3S and A4S are considerably more difficult. (A3S moreso than A4S since it feels like groups were stuck on A3S longer due to gear/DPS checks, since the clear came very shortly after the reset that let them get more gear from the first 2 floors and eso weapons)

I don't understand why they don't go back to a full story mode/hard mode/extreme mode for primals again. First MMO I've seen in awhile that is scared to reuse old content for some reason. I mean, obviously new fresh content is preferred but when you are going to have light patches anyway, retooling a fight or two is an easy way to fill things out and fans really don't mind. I love doing most fights in this game and really, I just need a reason to, I'm sure most of the community feels the same way.
Well the difference is with HW we got two extreme primals in the base game instead of being delivered in the next patch.

I imagine 3.1 is going to set up new primal(s) at the very least.

WolvenOne

The problem is that the scope of in game activities has increased, but the size of the dev team has about stayed the same. In 2.0 the end game was essentially all trials. Now its, trials, pvp, gold saucer, Sky island exploration, etc.

I mean I actually support adding that kind of diversity, but since the team isn't actually getting any bigger it feels like they have to sacrifice something whenever they add something new to the mix.

Also, I feel like they over estimated how much milage they'd get out of Alex Normal. They designed it similarly to a 24 man in terms of how you had to farm it, but the raid just isn't big enough to really support constant farming.

PS: A1S and A2S feel about appropriately tuned for the general raiding population. However those turns are nowhere near enough to keep an endgame raid group satisfied. As it stands it'll still be ages before the more general raiding population can clear A3S and A4S, due to the rather immense jumps in difficulty.

PPS: Not adding a relic grind earlier was also a big mistake. Another few end-game activities would've gone a long way in 3.0.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Well the difference is with HW we got two extreme primals in the base game instead of being delivered in the next patch.

There's already The Warring Triad.

iammeiam

This isn't really the case, though, since they basically started changing how they label primals with Levi. 2.0 gave us 3 story mode primals and 3 Hard Mode primals. The 2.0 Hard Mode primals were actually hard. So three primals you ran through during the story, and three primals that were some level of challenging at the original gearing level.

3.0 gives us two "hard mode" primals that are really just story mode, and two "EX" primals that are more in line with 2.0 Hard Mode primals, right down to the drops (weapons that are good for gearing up but rendered obsolete by the next primal.) We're getting less primal content because they've completely removed an entire difficulty tier. We'll probably get another "hard" primal that drops nothing and is really just story mode.

Guess Who

Banned
This isn't really the case, though, since they basically started changing how they label primals with Levi. 2.0 gave us 3 story mode primals and 3 Hard Mode primals. The 2.0 Hard Mode primals were actually hard. So three primals you ran through during the story, and three primals that were some level of challenging at the original gearing level.

3.0 gives us two "hard mode" primals that are really just story mode, and two "EX" primals that are more in line with 2.0 Hard Mode primals, right down to the drops (weapons that are good for gearing up but rendered obsolete by the next primal.) We're getting less primal content because they've completely removed an entire difficulty tier. We'll probably get another "hard" primal that drops nothing and is really just story mode.

I totally disagree. Ramuh and Ravana EX, for instance, are just as hard as any of the EX primals in 2.0. Even stuff like Shiva or Bismarck EX is at least Garuda EX level.

If they removed a difficulty tier, it's HM.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Yeah, but I mean set them up in actual story cutscenes instead of them just being in a map.

The real 3.0 grind is crafting red scrips

They're being set up in EX Primals questline, curiously enough.

I totally disagree. Ramuh and Ravana EX, for instance, are just as hard as any of the EX primals in 2.0. Even stuff like Shiva or Bismarck EX is at least Garuda EX level.

Ravana EX is mind-bogglingly easy. It's not quite Shiva where your worst enemy is your party, but it's getting there. These "and now you get to pound my ass" 20 second segments interrupted by "and now you dodge for 20 seconds while I'm untargetable, haha" segments require just the most basic memorization and that's it. I mean, it can't be directional parry, if the concept of "attack from the side where no large white shield appeared" is considered hard then oh lord is the game in trouble. And Bismarck isn't even that, it's just fighting a bunch of adds that pretend there's a DPS check involved. There's barely any team coordination involved in either of the two and Ravana EX was solo-healed solo-tanked like the first or the second week so it can't be stats either. Ravana wishes it was Ramuh.

scy

That's really only if you want to consider them as actual EX fights though. Their HM counterparts only get the designation due to the complete dropping of the non-HM category for first appearances. Their EX fights are glorified "HM" level difficulties. We have no real EX difficulty primal in HW currently.

They simply called HM an EX fight. I never got to experience the original trio in their glory days since I started playing with Ramuh EX but that fight wasn't really that bad. Shiva EX is a fight with no real failure state short of just complete mechanics failure all at the exact same time and even then it's most likely still salvageable. Leviathan is also more of the same with an absolutely pushover of an HM fight and a low difficulty EX.

We keep getting Primal EX fights but they're just HM fights with the EX naming.

WolvenOne

I would disagree, in that Ravana is clearly more difficult than any of the original HM primals, I'd put the difficulty of that fight just a bit above the original Titan Extreme, in most respects. Now Bismark, yeah he feels a bit closer to HM difficulty to me, though I'd still say he's a hair more difficult than the original HM primals. The DPS check in gear appropriate to that fight (160-170,) is a bit steep, there's a lot of stuff to dodge, and the weather mechanic is more complex then anything I can recall in the HM's

Overall, yea I'd say it's the HM tier that was removed, not the Extreme. Either way the number of HW end-game trials feels a bit thin, again I feel like they thought they were going to get more milage out of Alex Normal.

iammeiam

I would disagree, in that Ravana is clearly more difficult than any of the original HM primals, I'd put the difficulty of that fight just a bit above the original Titan Extreme, in most respects. Now Bismark, yeah he feels a bit closer to HM difficulty to me, though I'd still say he's a hair more difficult than the original HM primals. The DPS check in gear appropriate to that fight (160-170,) is a bit steep, there's a lot of stuff to dodge, and the weather mechanic is more complex then anything I can recall in the HM's

Overall, yea I'd say it's the HM tier that was removed, not the Extreme.

There is no way law gear Ravana EX is anywhere close to non-overgeared Titan EX.

Guess Who

Banned
Ravana EX is mind-bogglingly easy. It's not quite Shiva where your worst enemy is your party, but it's getting there. These "and now you get to pound my ass" 20 second segments interrupted by "and now you dodge for 20 seconds while I'm untargetable, haha" segments require just the most basic memorization and that's it. I mean, it can't be directional parry, if the concept of "attack from the side where no large white shield appeared" is considered hard then oh lord is the game in trouble. And Bismarck isn't even that, it's just fighting a bunch of adds that pretend there's a DPS check involved. There's barely any team coordination involved in either of the two and Ravana EX was solo-healed solo-tanked like the first or the second week so it can't be stats either. Ravana wishes it was Ramuh.

"Titan EX is mind bogglingly easy. Stack on his ass and wail. Don't get hit by AOEs like a dumbass. Have the DPS and healer spread for gaols. Two adds are easy-peasy and with gear these days or even just solid DPS you should never even have to deal with super bomb."

scy

Overall, yea I'd say it's the HM tier that was removed, not the Extreme. Either way the number of HW end-game trials feels a bit thin, again I feel like they thought they were going to get more milage out of Alex Normal.

Man, I'd say Ravana EX was one of the easiest fights they've ever done and slapped the EX tag on :|

"Titan EX is mind bogglingly easy. Stack on his ass and wail. Don't get hit by AOEs like a dumbass. Have the DPS and healer spread for gaols. Two adds are easy-peasy and with gear these days you should never even have to deal with super bomb."

I mean, if we're factoring current gearing into things, Ravana EX should die before he actually even does a mechanic you have to respect. Bismarck EX was barely a DPS check with gear appropriate to his weapon drop much less now and that's the only thing that fight has going for it.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
"Titan EX is mind bogglingly easy. Stack on his ass and wail. Don't get hit by AOEs like a dumbass. Have the DPS and healer spread for gaols. Two adds are easy-peasy and with gear these days you should never even have to deal with super bomb."

The speed at which the mechanics come out and the punishment for failure are incomparable. Titan's casts are what, 1.5s?

Guess Who

Banned
The speed at which the mechanics come out and the punishment for failure are incomparable.

Not really? Shit, it's probably because I play bard and at level 50 bards can just dodge AOEs and attack all day without a care in the world, but I find Titan EX way easier than most people seem to find it.

I also find "getting good boils down to memorization" to be a pretty silly complaint since like, every single fight in this game is guilty of that with basically no exceptions.

Top Bottom