• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Wilsongt

3.1 Expert roulette will be composed by only the two new dungeons.

Neverreap and Fractal will become a new "Level 60 Dungeons" roulette.

258.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FjWe31S_0g

On a positive, I don't have to do them anymore, plus Vanu Vanu dance.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Wasn't it known that the new dungeons coming would replace the current EX roulette? That's how it's always been done.

At the very least, you guys won't have to do Alwaysreap ever again. Just have to hope nothing you hate even more comes along.

Wilsongt

Wasn't it known that the new dungeons coming would replace the current EX roulette? That's how it's always been done.

At the very least, you guys won't have to do Alwaysreap ever again. Just have to hope nothing you hate even more comes along.

It's much easier to stomach three dungeons for four months straight as opposed to just a new one and a rehash.

Level 60 Roulette smells like law bonus!

Which, to most people, law is worthless now.

Tomat

Level 60 Roulette smells like law bonus!
That sounds just dumb enough to be true. Eso bonus never.
It's much easier to stomach three dungeons for four months straight as opposed to just a new one and a rehash.
Absolutely agree with that. Just didn't expect them to group the new dungeons with the old ones.

Squishy3

It's just going to have the same problem EX Roulette had in 3.0... which is it's only two dungeons. If they kept Fractal and Neverreap, at least it's pulling from 4 dungeons instead of just 2, so you're not as likely to get the same dungeon every single day of the week.

BadRNG

Interesting stuff in there in the full interviews, I don't always like their answers but the insights are usually fun to read. In the gamewatch one he goes in depth on the Alexander difficulty issue; about how Coil more or less was clearable with 6 good players but now you need all 8, about how they wanted to provide a harder challenge for the people asking for something beyond coil, and now you got people thinking Alexander Normal is too easy, and the general difficulty of balancing both sides. Outside of creating a straight Easy/Normal/Hard they also discussed other options like creating more floors and the higher you go the harder it gets, but still comes back to budget there too.

Also on the PLD thing his reasoning is sort of sensible? They don't want to just give PLD more DPS because the class is so tanky and easy to play, the concern is they'd go too far to the other side and be overpowered (again). Which I get, but without a complete redesign of the class I don't see how they will ever truly get around that with how current fights are designed.

He talks about the new relic weapon too, sounds like it will be another huge pain in the ass. Recommends people get a Zeta weapon before the new stuff as the first step you can skip with it is annoying, and when asked about atma's he deflects and just says that whatever the new stuff is it will take awhile, and asks people not to burn themselves out.
glad I don't do relic shit

――ほほう、出にくいのですか?

吉田氏: アイテムレベル210が出難いかどうかは運次第です。確率ですので、出る人は1回目の探索で手に入る場合もあります。ただ、自分のメインジョブに合ったものが出るかどうか、グリードに勝てるかどうかというのもあります。また、アイテムレベルが210でも、サブパラメータに何が付くかが問題です。近接なのに、スペルスピードがやたら付いているとか……。ただ、210相当の最低基本性能は保障していて、近接DPSの装備ならVITとSTRの値は保証されています。この辺りも“引き”次第ですね。

P.S I've read this one part three times because I want to believe I am reading it wrong, but he says that the secondary stats are so random on the new aetherial gear that you can get stuff like spell speed on melee gear. Please be excited?

Ken

Which, to most people, law is worthless now.

That sounds just dumb enough to be true. Eso bonus never.

Absolutely agree with that. Just didn't expect them to group the new dungeons with the old ones.

If it had an eso bonus it would be tiny otherwise it would just be working against EXDR queue times. Regardless, I'm ok with EXDR just being two dungeons and I cap two characters a week.

On the bright side, we'll probably need a ton of law for when Animas roll out since that'll be before the next tomestone change.

iammeiam

^- You like A4S. Your opinions are weird!

P.S I've read this one part three times because I want to believe I am reading it wrong, but he says that the secondary stats are so random on the new aetherial gear that you can get stuff like spell speed on melee gear. Please be excited?

They're going all-in on RNG BiS then. This is the best idea.

Wilsongt

Other than to streamline HW a bit and to focus on new content, I don't understand the reasoning behind dropping the number of new dungeons down per patch to 2. I guess it takes too long to make new dungeons as opposed to just making it:

3.1 New dungeon + Pharos Hard + Void
3.2 New Dungeon + Lost City Hard + Alex II
3.3 New Dungeon + Hullbreaker Hard + Void II
3.4 New Dungeon + Snowcloak Hard + Alex III
3.5 New Dungeon + Keeper Hard + Void III

Tomat

He talks about the new relic weapon too, sounds like it will be another huge pain in the ass. Recommends people get a Zeta weapon before the new stuff as the first step you can skip with it is annoying, and when asked about atma's he deflects and just says that whatever the new stuff is it will take awhile, and asks people not to burn themselves out.
glad I don't do relic shit
Oh no, I thought they said the first step was going to be easy. Haven't even made it past the books...

BadRNG

Oh no, I thought they said the first step was going to be easy. Haven't even made it past the books...
I reread to make sure since now that you mention it I thought he said that as well, and he definitely says that the first part will be a chore, to the point that people will be happy they can skip it. However the recommendation on getting a Zeta is for people near one since 3.1 will make it easier to finish, but if you haven't started on it at all then just wait for the new weapon.

I don't remember what stage the books are at, or what Yoship considers close to finishing, so...good luck? Search your feelings, you know what to do.
discard books and never do anything relic related again

Jayhawk

Who will have their boarding passes ready for the Tuesday 4AM flight? Please provide a list of geared jobs/classes, including gathering classes.

Ken

^- You like A4S. Your opinions are weird!

I like a lot of...weird things.

But I do genuinely enjoy A4S.

I reread to make sure since now that you mention it I thought he said that as well, and he definitely says that the first part will be a chore, to the point that people will be happy they can skip it. However the recommendation on getting a Zeta is for people near one since 3.1 will make it easier to finish, but if you haven't started on it at all then just wait for the new weapon.

I don't remember what stage the books are at, or what Yoship considers close to finishing, so...good luck? Search your feelings, you know what to do.

Book is after Atma. I did..6 of them in two or three days after the Live Letter, and got 75 Alexandrite in a couple of hours. Hardest part about current books is FATEs, but it's just practicing Mist idling but not at the Mist so it's not so bad.

I then did two Big Bridges during bonus and said I'd wait for 3.1.

ebil

Is there a list of the adjustments out already? Because the only thing I can find is a comment about adjustments to ninja, paladin, bard and astrologian but no comment on whether or not the ninja/paladin adjustments are limited to only TP costs.
No, I only skimmed through the latest interviews but Yoshida only mentioned they weren't going to touch PLD's DPS while acknowledging the current content didn't do it any favors. He didn't mention the other jobs but we do know adjustments are being made as he said so during the last Live Letter.

WolvenOne

Thoughts.

They really need to hire a couple additional battle designers, because three tiers for thier raids would probably solve a few issues.

Wonder if Alex 2 will either be hard/medium, or easy/medium. Honestly I'm not sure which one I'd prefer.

Honestly I want really expecting a dps buff for Paladins. At most I figured shield swipe would get a potency boost. TP and enmity adjustments seem likely tho.

So long as sky island gear isn't so random that you don't get your main Stat, I think it'll be fine. Even with spell speed 210 gear would still be useful for spirit binding.

studyguy

I'm glad YoshiP is fixing the Paladin issues of TP regen which really knocked us out of the running in Alex Sav-

Oh wait no, that wasn't what removed us from the Savage equation at all.
No changes to DPS and they know Divine Veil and Clemency are largely useless. Okay great. Guess I'll just stay on this bench.

iammeiam

Wonder if Alex 2 will either be hard/medium, or easy/medium. Honestly I'm not sure which one I'd prefer.

Well, if half the active player base has actually completed easy Alex, I'm guessing they'll view that as a smart use of limited dev time. Fewer people than anticipated have cleared the hard content, and many a static was dashed on the rocks of A3S, so hard hard mode seems out.

Which is unfortunate because unless 3.3 is amazing, an entire tier of Alex Savage that's more balanced towards A1S/A2S level will leave a lot of people logging in one day a week in 3.3. Dead Game Continues. Three tiers would just solve so much.

Tomat

Well, if half the active player base has actually completed easy Alex, I'm guessing they'll view that as a smart use of limited dev time. Fewer people than anticipated have cleared the hard content, and many a static was dashed on the rocks of A3S, so hard hard mode seems out.

Which is unfortunate because unless 3.3 is amazing, an entire tier of Alex Savage that's more balanced towards A1S/A2S level will leave a lot of people logging in one day a week in 3.3. Dead Game Continues. Three tiers would just solve so much.
There has got to be a sweet spot somewhere between FCoB level of difficulty and A3S+. I suck at A3S but still don't think it needs a nerf. Still think there should have been a bridge between 2 and 3 in terms of difficult, like what you all were saying yesterday about 3 being the last fight.

*edit* Suck probably isn't the right word, but I do think it is a difficult fight.

studyguy

Honestly the entire meta approach they took to Savage was wonky. Not sure how they'll fix it in the next but good lord I hope they step back from the balls to the wall DPS and the weird balancing of ignoring physical or magical attacks outright in some floors for tanks. Everything about this raid just feels off compared to even the worst coil. Even coil savage didn't feel this shitty.

Ken

Well, 2 of 3 bosses in AS don't have arms so it's understandable that they do primarily magic damage.

I don't mind the DPS thing too much since so far since everything so far up to A4S has been achievable as long as people know how to push their jobs, which are the same people you'd want to do hard raids with anyways, I hope.

iammeiam

There has got to be a sweet spot somewhere between FCoB level of difficulty and A3S+. I suck at A3S but still don't think it needs a nerf. Still think there should have been a bridge between 2 and 3 in terms of difficult, like what you all were saying yesterday about 3 being the last fight.

*edit* Suck probably isn't the right word, but I do think it is a difficult fight.

Oh, they definitely need to work out an actual difficulty curve instead of what we got. I get that I'm supposed to be disappointed I won't see A4S dead before 3.1, but it's kind of nice to have something to still be working on in 3.1, so I think the end difficulty has merit. Wish it was on a fight I actually liked, but I'll take what I can get.

A3S is hard and fun but the game does a terrible job of prepping people for it or giving you anything else to do to keep morale from tanking during A3S. I'd like to think their solution in 3.2 will be having raid difficulty progress in a way that makes sense and feels organic, but given that their solution to Titan EX being too hard for many was to tune every subsequent EX to be easier, my guess is their reaction to Savage essentially failing twice (Savage SCoB bombing due to low rewards, Alex Savage bombing due to sheer difficulty) will be just making things easier.

WolvenOne

Personally, what I'd like to see is new raids to start out with Easy and Medium, and for a Savage tier to be unlocked during the subsequent odd numbered patch. I still think they'd need another battle designer to make that practical, but delaying the Savage version til the odd numbered patch would at least ease development pressures a little. As for rewards, well titles are a start. Locking a mount behind the savage version would help too; aaaand maybe upgrade items that change the appearance of the armor.

They really, REALLY need a few more battle designers though. The game would benefit so blasted much from getting a couple more trials per content patch.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Honestly the entire meta approach they took to Savage was wonky. Not sure how they'll fix it in the next but good lord I hope they step back from the balls to the wall DPS and the weird balancing of ignoring physical or magical attacks outright in some floors for tanks. Everything about this raid just feels off compared to even the worst coil. Even coil savage didn't feel this shitty.

I find it hilarious that Yoshida insists group makeup doesn't matter but if you don't have a DRG you're losing out on quite a bit.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Airship Exploration
If you have a high-ranked Airship, it'll be relatively easy to unlock Hard.
Think I found the source for this, but I can't make sense of it using Google Translate. Anyone mind summarizing what he's saying? Do you have to unlock the hard island via airship voyages?

――次に「雲海探索 ディアデム諸島」についてお伺いします。いま現在、エアシップボイジャーで飛空艇を育てている人たちと、育てていない人ではスタート地点は違うのでしょうか?

吉田氏: そもそもフリーカンパニー(FC)の飛空艇で雲海探索へ行く場合と、イシュガルドのアインハルト家を通じて行く場合では、選ぶことのできる難易度が違います。FCで行くときのみ、ハードと呼ばれる島に行くことができます。もしFCに所属していないけれど、ハードに行ってみたいという方は、ぜひパーティ募集をよく見ておいてください。FCによってはそのときの探索に足りない人をパーティ募集をしているところもあると思いますので、そこそれらを通じて一緒に行ってもらえれば嬉しいです。それが縁で仲良くなり、FCに入ってもらいたいという気持ちももちろんあります。

後は、FCの飛空艇でディアデム諸島に探索に行くときには1隻あたり8人、3隻で24人まで同時に同じ島へ探索に向かうことができます。ただ、難易度ハードの島はエアシップボイジャーを通じてその島を発見していないと目的地にすることができません。だからちゃんとエアシップボイジャーをプレイし、飛空艇のランクを上げていれば「3.1」リリース後、比較的早い段階でハードの島を発見できると思います。発見以降はいつでも行けるようになります。

――かなり奥まで探索にいける飛空艇でなければ、ハードの島を発見できないのですか?

吉田氏: ある程度は。ですので一生懸命エアシップボイジャーをやっていた人が先行しやすいかもしれません。

――自分たちのFCでハードに行こうと思ったら、エアシップボイジャーで育てていかなくてはならないのですか?

吉田氏: そうなります。ハードの島は確かに良い宝箱を入手しやすいです。しかし、その一方で敵が強く、モンスターの体力も高いので、あまり強くないパーティーだと、モンスターを倒すのに時間が掛かりすぎたり、全滅するなどのロスをして、結局効率が悪くなる可能性もあります。パーティの実力に合わせた島に行き、モンスターを狩りまくる方が、効率が良くなると思いますので、ノーマルやイージーも選択肢にいれ、話し合うことが大切です。

WolvenOne

I might note for people worried about there only being two dungeons in EXDR still.

In odd numbered patches you don't run EXDR as often anyway. This is for two reasons, first, because they generally increase the number of tomes that drop for doing activities. Second, because they generally add new activities that drop tomes.

Sky Island Exploration and Void Ark will both be dropping tomes, so even if they don't up the Esoteric Tome drop amounts, you shouldn't need to run EXDR as much.

Cmagus

Now would be a good time to get a relic done if you haven't since the delay happened. Honestly they've made it so easy to get now you could knock it out in a week. I started my second for my ninja yesterday and in just a few hours I went from the start through atma's in only a few hours. The books will take a bit but light farming has been reduced huge and since you can respec your weapons materia before finalizing you could put some junk materia in to get past that part quick then just respec as you go.

The new patch looks alright but I have the feeling it won't hold people over for very long. Shame they waste their time on stuff like Vermillion instead of making meaningful content,Vermillion will be dead in two weeks just like chocobo racing.

This team really needs to figure out their content better. Everything should be working towards getting better. It's funny talking to the newer players in our FC who are still working towards their level 50's and how a few of them want to start their relics but can't till 50.

The relics should have been content that started at 30 and you should have been able to reach the book phase by level 35. From 35 on each 5 levels means a new book so that way they content in the books goes towards actually helping you level so your progressing the weapon while you progress instead of throwing everything at 50 and making it a chore. Having level 50's go beat hydra and the primals is pointless busy work they should have done something more meaningful. It's a shame for Heavensward they couldn't get them ready for launch and done the same thing.

At 50 then sure deal with the light farming and materia crap but they really need to find ways of making their content more useful not just launch and have it dead within the first two weeks.

Zomba13

I still don't get why they don';t just keep Neverreap/The other one in the Expert roulette but just have the iLVL locked. I know the new ones should be capped at a higher iLVL but c'mon, two dungeons for months and months is boring as shit. It's why I stopped playing for a while. It got boring always running those two for the roulette and now the new ones will be fresh for a bit but then become as tired as the others in a month or two.

I know 2.0 had just three per update but and this still got old but there was just enough variety. It's wasn't just one or the other.

I guess really though I should have been doing more Alex, I've not even attempted Alex 3 yet.

WolvenOne

....or they can not have that and do something else. Those fights were poinless for people at level 50 it was just a pointless step.

Technically most the steps to get the relics are, objectively speaking, pointless. Seriously though, getting relics is an end-game activity, and most the steps require you to do end-game content. It'd require far too much reworking to make it something you could start at level 30.

dramatis

Think I found the source for this, but I can't make sense of it using Google Translate. Anyone mind summarizing what he's saying? Do you have to unlock the hard island via airship voyages?
Roughly, he's saying that the high ranked airships can unlock the hard areas easier, so someone who isn't using FC airships will have harder time reaching hard exploration.

Ken

Chimera and Hydra were pretty cool at launch cause people constantly needed it, it wasn't too difficult a fight so you could quickly get a party for it, and having everyone port into Coerthas or Thanalan is also fun desu.

Cmagus

Technically most the steps to get the relics are, objectively speaking, pointless. Seriously though, getting relics is an end-game activity, and most the steps require you to do end-game content. It'd require far too much reworking to make it something you could start at level 30.

The current system is yes but I meant for future planning they should have though of these things when initially planning the content. Obviously they can't change the relic quest now.

Ken

It's kind of the opposite, which was the whole point of relics in the first place I thought. They were to serve as alternates to raid weapons for people who didn't want to do end-game content.

Base relic: HM primals, Amdapor Keep
Zenith: lol
Atma: fates
Books: lol
Soulglaze: most instances
Dungeon Atma: dungeons lol
Mahatma: most instances

Valor

New Roulette = Additional Bonus tomes every day = less EXDR needed every week to cap = less running the same two dungeons 7 times a week (or more).

Also yeah, wave goodbye to Savage Alex 1 because I'll eat my hat if Alex II is as walling as Alex I has been.

It really also boils down to which would you rather: People logging in once a week to get their raid clears or people logging in five times a week to slam their faces against a wall for over a month.

I definitely know which scenario I would prefer.

Top Bottom