• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

2015_11_05_15_46_23.jpg

Just give me at least this back, why even take it away?
Lament the loss of skills from the 1.0 era brehs
mjcry1.png

That actually looks pretty useful instead of what it is now which is nothing more than a really good PvP CD.

What is that even supposed to mean? The physical defensive capabilities were to give in an edge? Because that clearly wasn't what ended up happening at all.

Thats my guess as well. The problem with this idea though is for the most part turtle tanking really isn't a thing in this game if your looking for more depth from the tank position. The raid design simply isn't catering to it at this point, but reading the rest of the interview it seems like they at least want to eliminate the pure DPS stance tanking going on right now.

1) Randomize fight design so it's not scripted so the better cooldowns may be required for some fights due to very strong back-to-back-to-back tank busters (Rampart+Foresight+Bulwark+Convalence > Sentinel > HG is more then other tank jobs can do). But then DRK and WAR become unbalanced as PLD is required for some fights.
2) Attrition based fight design. Have much higher HP pools for tanks then DPS, increase damage done to them but not AOE, and then it becomes about mitigation and managing healer MP. This would also focus healers back on healing only.
3) Or realize how your fights are designed and balance PLD DPS with DRK and WAR.

I like the sound of option 3. I'd like to play PLD more often, but I don't really care for its AoE threat, and the MT damage is abysmal. I still think the damage penalty should be removed from defensive tank stances. I don't think dropping the cool down timer of FoF could hurt either. Maybe turn Tempered Will into a TP refresh or an attack boost based on incoming damage sort of like DRKs Scarlet Delirium from 11.

Option 2 might piss off career healers though. There are quite a few who like to DPS outside of healing.

Option 1 will probably never happen either in my opinion. Just looking at there design philosophy it seems like they're more interested in memory and repetition than straight up reflex/reactionary style combat with regards to tank busters.

One thing I hope they will fix (probably won't happen) is the animation on Royal Authority.

Currently the animation is composed of a horizontal slash which creates a ball of light followed by a jumping spinning slash that detonates it.

Right now, the damage number appears when the first slash connects, this has the effect of making the rest of the animation feel pointless.

If it was like Rage of Halone, where the damage appears during the final hit, the feedback on this skill would be increased and would feel more satisfying to use imo.

iammeiam

Any information about Bard changes? I thought I read that was going to be a thing.

Whatever they are they won't be major (i.e. Minuet will probably sill be jank in 3.1):

By the way, will you be making job adjustments in patch 3.1?

Yoshida: There will be some, but nothing on a large scale. The biggest adjustment will be to rebuild the underlying mechanism behind ninjutsu to reduce the effect of lag and better connect mudra. We've also adjusted TP for Paladin and Ninja. We hear the player feedback about wanting to raise the DPS of Paladin, but we need to consider the offensive and defensive characteristics together, so it would be difficult to just raise the DPS with their current defensive ability.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I think all the islands will be different maps and some of the hard ones will be available right off the bat. Like, 16+ Would be hard islands.

Also, eso upgrade items available through Void Ark with ancient coin drops and you can only get one coin a week. I'm guessing it will be 4/6/8 coins for the various upgrades or something -_- why you do this Yoshida I want my handouts now!!
Nope, they've said the maps are the same across the 3 difficulties. I think it's just 1 with multiple random entry points.

Q6: What kind of bonuses are there for using a free company airship in exploratory missions compared to entering using the Duty Finder?

A6: First, there are two ways to enter exploratory missions. One way is to enter using an airship built by the FC, and the other is entering after accepting a request from House Haillenarte in Ishgard.

When challenging the content from House Haillenarte, you’ll need to talk to an NPC, so that will be handled via the duty finder.

In addition to this, there are Easy/Normal/Hard difficulties for exploratory missions. The maps are the same; however, the monsters will have rank numbers 1 through 6 instead of levels.

The FC route will be able to challenge the Hard mode.

When entering with an FC owned airship, players outside of the FC may also be invited. However, this will require having one member from the FC who own the airship to be in that party. Players are able to fly up to 3 airships, so another benefit FC can get is that they can enter with three full parties, up to 24 players.

Well, if half the active player base has actually completed easy Alex, I'm guessing they'll view that as a smart use of limited dev time. Fewer people than anticipated have cleared the hard content, and many a static was dashed on the rocks of A3S, so hard hard mode seems out.

Which is unfortunate because unless 3.3 is amazing, an entire tier of Alex Savage that's more balanced towards A1S/A2S level will leave a lot of people logging in one day a week in 3.3. Dead Game Continues. Three tiers would just solve so much.

Making 3 difficulty levels requires dev time that they just don't seem to have. I honestly wonder if Squenix has actually cut the size of the FFXIV dev team after the expac because the amount of content in the expac and afterwards has been paltry compared to what players were getting during the 2.x/ARR period.

I'm just baffled by how not good Alex is in general compared to Coil. I mean yes, Coil is important story-wise because it concluded the story of 1.0, but in general Coil's fight designs were interesting and well-tuned. SCoB in particular was full of interesting mechanics, FCoB less so but still fun. Alex is designed to be as unpleasant as humanly possible for reasons I cannot possibly fathom, this is a game not a full-time job and people are paying money to play it.

Teknoman

Im kinda bummed that FC airship travel or player airship travel altogether will most likely still be a quick zone in cutscene and then bam, you're on land...

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Making 3 difficulty levels requires dev time that they just don't seem to have. I honestly wonder if Squenix has actually cut the size of the FFXIV dev team after the expac because the amount of content in the expac and afterwards has been paltry compared to what players were getting during the 2.x/ARR period.

I'm just baffled by how not good Alex is in general compared to Coil. I mean yes, Coil is important story-wise because it concluded the story of 1.0, but in general Coil's fight designs were interesting and well-tuned. SCoB in particular was full of interesting mechanics, FCoB less so but still fun. Alex is designed to be as unpleasant as humanly possible for reasons I cannot possibly fathom, this is a game not a full-time job and people are paying money to play it.
Everything about Coil was amazing and was my favorite part of the game so far. Shame they squandered it in 3.0.

Everything about Coil was amazing and was my favorite part of the game so far. Shame they squandered it in 3.0.

It really is a shame they did, because to me aside from Turns 5, 9, and 13 coil was pretty mid-tier for the most part in my opinion. They had everything fine with coil in my opinion. All they had to do was make Savage worth going to outside of a title and it'd been perfect.

I mean having the situation we have with Alexander is fine for me, but its come at the sacrifice of any mid-tier content that could be puggable A1-2 savage is puggable yes, but its hard to convince others to come with you or at least try it because of the "Savage" moniker. At least thats how it is on Goblin :/

BadRNG

I can agree with the fight tuning aspect, the pure numbers performance from everyone needs to be higher than usual - but mechanically I can't disagree more. SCoB was just terrible in that department. Even with Alexander's issues I'd still say SCoB was the worst overall tier in terms of mechanics. Most of the fights were just not particularly fun, and you focused way more on the dance than actually killing the bosses.

FCoB was probably the perfect sweetspot between proper tuning and actually fun fights. AS1 and AS3 both are on similar level for me. AS2 just feels like it's missing something, there's some good ideas there mixed with bad ones and it doesn't come off right. AS4 I've already said before in here how much I hate.

Something something budget ps3 limitations but I think it'd help a lot if they actually moved away from just difficulty modes, or at least were more open to completely going in new direction for how the fights work. Not every fight is Titan that is not only designed well to begin with, but benefits a lot from the strategy of simply "more of the normal mode stuff at once!" for it's next step up. The best savage fight, to me anyway, also happens to be the one with the most mechanical additions and deviations. It feels like a completely different experience by the end. But then you look at AS1/AS2 and they aren't really dramatically different? Just tighter tuned with more stuff from normal mode at once. This works alright, I guess, wIth AS1 but I don't think it does for AS2, and from the player's perspective it just feels tedious working through it because you've got a sense you have already been there and done that.

What's weird is they have already gotten that idea mastered more or less in some of the primal fights, Garuda EX feels completely different from HM. It's not just more damage or more of the same, even with reusing many of the same assets it completely turns the fight on it's head and is a new experience. They need to go in that direction next for AS5-8

WolvenOne

The reason Garuda Extreme feels so different is because those three Primal fights were designed in a fundamentally different way than the rest. The original three extreme Primals were not planned, instead they were added somewhat late as an apology for 2.1 being late. As such they had to take the existing fights and completely rework them.

Since then, they've changed fights so that the Extreme is the original fight, and the story mode simply had mechanics removed or reduced. I imagine this saves on resources, but yeah it does mean that there's a certain samey factor to a lot of the newer fights.

As I've said before, they REALLY, need to add a couple more members to thier battle design team.

Wazzy

Banned
Yay! I beat BisEx and tried out RavEx. Rav was a little weird and I need to get used to mechanics but overall it was fun, especially because the group was so relaxed.

Going to try and clear Rav before patch.

Edit: Also how do you get Voidal Resonator mount? I paid for a 90 sub and it charged me but I only got my Behemoth mount. Is there something I'm missing?

Count me in the camp that wouldnt mind random aspects to dungeons / boss fights.

There was a suggestion on reddit about adding a SWOTR style dungeon implementation. Basically each dungeon is three different parts and each part has 3 different selections? or some such business I never played SWOTR. Anyway each time you go into a dungeon it randomizes each part so every time you go in its a sort of different experience instead of the exact same dungeon every time.

If the Order of the Twin Adder were wiped from the face of the Earth tomorrow, nothing of value would be lost.

Square Enix has to remove the GC restriction for PVP, too. Any lore explanation is bull shit (sorry Grimm, it is) and is a cop out because the dev team is lazy.

Critical Elk

Neo Member
That ast change though.

Edit: rip kningly whisker prices

"Items that dropped directly from boss enemies will now drop from treasure boxes"

Ken

Clan mark logs obtained from hunts can be exchanged with Bertana in Idyllshire (X:5 Y:5) for the following items:
Illuminati Gobtwine / Carboncoat / Wyvern Horn

So why bother with Exploration or Void Ark lol.

Omni

Bard changes...

Heavy Shot: The timing at which Straight Shot's icon flashes while under the effect of Straighter Shot has been adjusted.
Straight Shot: TP cost has been reduced from 70 to 60.

Haha OKAY. Nice I suppose. >.<

Stuart444

[3.0] The following mounts can now fly:
Ahriman / Bomb Palanquin / Logistics System / Kirin / Magitek Armor / Gilded Magitek Armor / Draught Chocobo / Ceremony Chocobo / Amber Draught Chocobo

YES :D

(also yay flying Magitek as well :D )

[3.0] An aethernet has been added to Idyllshire.

[3.0] Players may ride mounts in Idyllshire.

FINALLY!

Ken

Because hunts are dead/boring/etc! Take your pick :p

Also for some variety. Options are good :)

HUNTS ARE BACK

Where's natasha am I still on the macro

The whole point of the game is to hit the magical ilevel cap of the time so you can post a screenshot on the internets and bask in 5 seconds of fame despite being months late to the party and already in le catch up patch.

I do kind of hope they just say screw it and make Void Ark gear a third i210 blue set.

Stuart444

[2.0] The following items will now appear in the treasure chest of each party in an alliance when undertaking Syrcus Tower or the World of Darkness:
Wind-up Onion Knight / Puff of Darkness

Well, better than competing with 23 other people for them I guess. :)

Omni

Just read through the notes. A lot there

I actually have no idea what I'm going to do first come the patch. Void Ark probably. Even if it goes horribly wrong... haha. People still struggle on WoD. ALSO... I love the penguin minion! Not sure if it'll replace the owlet as my favourite, but I want it.

Stuart444

So cuuuute <3

[2.0] The PlayStation®4 DUALSHOCK®4 controller can now be used on the Windows version.

So no more need for DS4 Windows/input mapper/etc?

Yay though the touchpad won't work so it might take some time to get used to (I have it set up so the DS4 works exactly like the PS4 version outside of the share button anyway) but yay none the less.

Anyway, lots of good QoL stuff there. :D

iammeiam

Ahhhhhh:

The Bowl of Embers (Extreme) / The Howling Eye (Extreme) / The Navel (Extreme) / Thornmarch (Extreme) / The Whorleater (Extreme) / The Striking Tree (Extreme) / Akh Afah Amphitheatre (Extreme

Unsynced primal mat drops now a thing? I wonder if Unsynced makes Mog EX less garbage.

Top Bottom