• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

WolvenOne

It's kind of the opposite, which was the whole point of relics in the first place I thought. They were to serve as alternates to raid weapons for people who didn't want to do end-game content.

Base relic: HM primals, Amdapor Keep
Zenith: lol
Atma: fates
Books: lol
Soulglaze: most instances
Dungeon Atma: dungeons lol
Mahatma: most instances

Yeah, the steps in relic were clearly designed to get people to do existing content. I get that. What I don't get is why anyone would want to start doing Relic at a point where they couldn't even equip the weapon.

I mean, your first time to level cap you aren't exactly starving for things to do.

Ken

I think you'd end up doing more roulettes to cap than just doing EXDR daily, but obviously you would win out on variety and less EXDRs. I think daily EXDR will still be the best value because of the seals and glamour gear in exchange for your soul.

Yeah, the steps in relic were clearly designed to get people to do existing content. I get that. What I don't get is why anyone would want to start doing Relic at a point where they couldn't even equip the weapon.

I mean, your first time to level cap you aren't exactly starving for things to do.

His point is to weave in the steps of the relic as you level before you even get to Relic so it feels more natural and less of a grind, I think.

It would also reinforce the specialness of the weapon as something that actually does grow with you on your adventures, not just when you hit 50.

Obviously if they did this they'd go back and move or change things like Hydra/Chimera and junk.

Kenai

I hope I meet the requs for fishing on the new islands. I started my gear grinding late and haven't been doing it every week (stupid real life, stupid random comp resets) so I only have...3 pieces? 4? Hat vest pole and maybe something else.

If I knew I had enough I'd go after botany gear now so I'd have a piece or two to try that too, but SE hasn't been pulling their punches with gathering reqs lately.

Oh well. I'm sure we will find out soon.

Valor

I think you'd end up doing more roulettes to cap than just doing EXDR daily, but obviously you would win out on variety and less EXDRs. I think daily EXDR will still be the best value because of the seals and glamour gear in exchange for your soul.

His point is to weave in the steps of the relic as you level before you even get to Relic so it feels more natural and less of a grind, I think.

It would also reinforce the specialness of the weapon as something that actually does grow with you on your adventures, not just when you hit 50.

Yeah, you'll still "want" to EXDR for gear and junk, but once you have the stuff and reach where we are now, having that variety would be welcome for sure. Plus just getting it done faster, even if it's like 75/30 for EX/60.

While I think it'd also be neat for the relic to grow with you it would render a lot more weapons obsolete and kind of shrink the field of gear available to you to relic/piecemeal alternatives/end game weapons. I guess it's better than having to hunt out a new weapon that's around your level but I dunno. There are definitely pros and cons. It would be nice, however, for relic weapons to be a bit more special than they are now, since they're much more chore-like than special. Kind of.

Get out. We need more.
I was wondering when you'd show up to defend that titan poop

Xux

.....good luck beating the Hard Mode Primals, Chimera, and Hydra, at level 30.
I think an easy and obvious solution to that would be to make the fights doable at the level you can attempt them.
Yeah, the steps in relic were clearly designed to get people to do existing content. I get that. What I don't get is why anyone would want to start doing Relic at a point where they couldn't even equip the weapon.[....]
I think an easy and obvious solution would be to make the weapon equip-able at the level you obtain it.

Ken

Yeah, you'll still "want" to EXDR for gear and junk, but once you have the stuff and reach where we are now, having that variety would be welcome for sure. Plus just getting it done faster, even if it's like 75/30 for EX/60.

While I think it'd also be neat for the relic to grow with you it would render a lot more weapons obsolete and kind of shrink the field of gear available to you to relic/piecemeal alternatives/end game weapons. I guess it's better than having to hunt out a new weapon that's around your level but I dunno. There are definitely pros and cons. It would be nice, however, for relic weapons to be a bit more special than they are now, since they're much more chore-like than special. Kind of.

I was wondering when you'd show up to defend that titan poop

Yes, let's weep for classic weapons we'd be missing out on like Iron Dagger or the Padded Machachachatl.

As for the EXDR stuff, empty husks don't need variety, just tomestones.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I hope I meet the requs for fishing on the new islands. I started my gear grinding late and haven't been doing it every week (stupid real life, stupid random comp resets) so I only have...3 pieces? 4? Hat vest pole and maybe something else.

If I knew I had enough I'd go after botany gear now so I'd have a piece or two to try that too, but SE hasn't been pulling their punches with gathering reqs lately.

Oh well. I'm sure we will find out soon.
Last live letter yoship said the gathering requirements on the islands are low and in the trailer/promo pic almost all the gatherers are wearing serpentskin gear.

Q12: You mentioned that gatherers can take part in exploratory missions, but do we gather existing items, or special items?

A12: The majority of the items will be materials, so just think of this as gathering in a new area. The gathering (stat) needed is set pretty low, so you should have no problem gathering with the gear you have once when you first hit level 60. However, if you start gathering while others are fighting, it may cause problems to other party members, so make sure to communicate with other members before gathering.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/...pdate-Thread?p=3389401&viewfull=1#post3389401

LAcjWK4.jpg

Dunan

Just wanted to give a shout of thanks to whomever added me back into the FC yesterday.

I never did get my Heavenward download sorted out, so I'm just doing 2.55 content on other jobs for now. I bought my way to Culinarian Level 39: thanks to the market board and my prodigious wealth, you don't actually have to cook all the stuff the levemetes ask you to turn in!

Also having lots of fun learning to tank as a Gladiator. Anyone doing progression content and need a tank, just ask. Strategies, tips, mechanics/math/rotation hints welcome!

Kenai

Last live letter yoship said the gathering requirements on the islands are low and in the trailer/promo pic almost all the gatherers are wearing serpentskin gear.

LAcjWK4.jpg

Oh that's good. I wonder if there will be different caps on the stuff though...

Whatever. i will have everything ready in either case. I'll have at least one af piece from all 3 jobs.

Wilsongt

LAcjWK4.jpg

Reminds me of an evening I was doing maps with my FC and while they were fighting, I sat down and fished.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Yoshida says that clear numbers for Savage Alexander are lower than expected (no shit). They might adjust it in 3.15.

Sorian

Banned
Clearly not a pioneer of the new frontiers! EXPLORERS WANTED FOR AIR JAYHAWK! We'll be gathering island intel blind!

Hmm, looks like I won't have an issue mining though.....

Nah nah, I want to do void ark blind, the islands will always be there.

WolvenOne

So as it turns out, the items you Gather from sky islands are essentially currency items that you trade in at a shop in Ishgarde. So they're like Favors, only they're not timed or anything.

Ken

I am pretty excited to do the new dungeons blind. Those are surprisingly fun the first few times through.

What would people say to something like Guild Wars 2 Fractals (IIRC it's 3 random challenge rooms and one random boss room, the further you go the higher the difficulty is/multiple tiers/levels) if they were implemented?

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
What would people say to something like Guild Wars 2 Fractals (IIRC it's 3 random challenge rooms and one random boss room, the further you go the higher the difficulty is/multiple tiers/levels) if they were implemented?
Sounds fun to me.

Jayhawk

Hmm, looks like I won't have an issue mining though.....

Nah nah, I want to do void ark blind, the islands will always be there.

You won't always be able to do the islands with little knowledge of how their new type of system works.

Void Ark will be comparable to their other 24-man content.

Sorian

Banned
In that same vein, SWTOR had a dungeon that released awhile back that had 9 different "scenarios" and 3 or 4 different bosses.

When you went in the dungeon created a random dungeon with 3 of the scenarios linked together and then it was capped off at the end with one of the bosses (some scenarios had bosses in them as well). It was an orbital space station that you were destroying if I remember right so the scenarios were freeing prisoners, quelling a riot of guards, killing the station commander, rigging bombs, etc etc.

It wasn't executed flawlessly by any stretch of the imagination but it was a good idea and had some longevity to it.

Sorian

Banned
You won't always be able to do the islands with little knowledge of how their new type of system works.

Void Ark will be comparable to their other 24-man content.

Doing Cerberus blind and figuring out that mechanic with 20ish strangers who all had no idea what was up is probably one of my favorite memories of this game.

WolvenOne

Tenatively my plan is to do Void Ark first, both because blind runs are kinda interesting, aaaand because I'm really interested in the story/lore there.

I'll probably take a quick look at the sky islands after that, though the main story quest is always tempting. In part the fact that Hard Mode Sky islands may not be immediately be available might make this decision easier.

Tabris

I think the FFXIV team may have too many artists and not enough programmers.

They are the best in the business in terms of art style. Those new airship venture armour sets which are basically glamour only garbage, look amazing and are very detailed. But I rather have some re-used assets and more content, then the other way around.

Lay off some of your artists and hire more programmers please.

Tabris

Doing Cerberus blind and figuring out that mechanic with 20ish strangers who all had no idea what was up is probably one of my favorite memories of this game.

We should have almost our entire static for 1am Void Ark run I think.

At least me, you, Moara, Steevy, and Vale. We're also set for doing dungeons.

I agree that our patch night fun is usually best time in game for me too outside of finally clearing raid content.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Random boss rush would be pretty damn cool. I want this to happen now. Too bad it won't.

Sounds fun to me.

I like the idea of challenge rooms. From what I've read it seems like GW2 is focusing on Fractals for small group content and 24 man raids for the bigger/more difficult stuff.

I think the Fractal concept would have a lot more longevity compared to running the same dungeons numerous times, since each room is supposed to be challenging so you should in theory avoid the normal dungeon fluff inbetween bosses.

But I doubt that's in the future plans for FFXIV. Just a nice idea to entertain.

iammeiam

Slycer @ BG has a full translation of the Famitsu thing up.

Copy/paste is weird on mobile, but I did get a decent laugh out of the whole you could carry two people in coil comment, and he seems to be saying clear rates are actually in line with expectations but they're monitoring closely to see how groups react to A3S long-term. Also mentions that they're leaning towards an easier second tier due to development costs involved.

Also I'll be really curious to see the practical drop rate differences between Diadem tiers. You can get i210 on easy, it's just rarer. But the mobs in easy are noticeably weaker, so you should be able to kill more per lockout. Gold chest drops rates will need to be significantly worse to compensate.

studyguy

A lot of those voices are probably from players in savage Alexander where there is a high reliance on tank DPS.

Yoshida: We'll be making effort to eliminate that as much as possible. Within the content, there are strong and weak points to each job. For example, in the second area of savage, a paladin main tank should have higher stability than a dark knight. Depending on the player and their skill level, each party will see different results, but we'd like to reduce the difference. We can't just make adjustments to jobs based on whether they are strong or weak in particular content as that would break the jobs, so we'll work to eliminate disadvantages to certain jobs as much as possible in the content. That doesn't mean we won't be making any adjustments to jobs in the future, but we'd like to also hear feedback after playing through the different content in patch 3.1.

What is that even supposed to mean? The physical defensive capabilities were to give in an edge? Because that clearly wasn't what ended up happening at all.

Ken

What is that even supposed to mean? The physical defensive capabilities were to give in an edge? Because that clearly wasn't what ended up happening at all.

Stability probably means less damage spikes due to always having a chance to block whereas DRK/WAR can only parry?

Only thing I can think of lol.

Tabris

That is such bullshit. PLD's are even worse in trash pack situations because their AOE threat is non-damage based.

They don't get that the damage done to tank doesn't matter assuming both jobs are activating compare-able mitigation skills at the same time.

If the PLD blocks an attack and receives 2500 damage instead of 3000 damage the DRK gets, it doesn't change the cure the healer is doing. Better mitigation means jack with their game design.

Only way you fix this is:

1) Randomize fight design so it's not scripted so the better cooldowns may be required for some fights due to very strong back-to-back-to-back tank busters (Rampart+Foresight+Bulwark+Convalence > Sentinel > HG is more then other tank jobs can do). But then DRK and WAR become unbalanced as PLD is required for some fights.
2) Attrition based fight design. Have much higher HP pools for tanks then DPS, increase damage done to them but not AOE, and then it becomes about mitigation and managing healer MP. This would also focus healers back on healing only.
3) Or realize how your fights are designed and balance PLD DPS with DRK and WAR.

Squishy3

Yeah, I'll probably be right in there day 1 for figuring out Void Ark. Don't work that day either... so waking up at 4am it is!

Killthee

Can you arbitrarily select the difficulty for the exploration?

Yoshida: You can choose from three levels - easy, normal, and hard. However, you can only participate in hard with a Free Company. If you don't belong to a Free Company but still want to participate in hard, you should be able to find groups through Party Finder. Additionally, in order to challenge on hard, you need to discover the island through airship voyages in advance

So it is locked behind voyages. So much for day 1 hard exploration.

Killthee

Didn't you discover everything by now?
Everything that's unlockable right now, but there's a big island on the top right corner of the map no one has unlocked. It's probably the 3.1 exploration island.

L4uJFTh.jpg

iammeiam

I think the bolded is literally just referring to A2S where early on PLD was preferred to DRK due to block/the lack of magic damage. It doesn't really make up for the other three floors, but it made PLD almost relevant for a thing. I know swapping DRK for PLD got rid of the random tank deaths that derailed early runs when I got A2S (although at least part of that was Hallowed trivializing wave 9 to some extent.)

aceface

Everything that's unlockable right now, but there's a big island on the top right corner of the map no one has unlocked. It's probably the 3.1 exploration island.

L4uJFTh.jpg

I think all the islands will be different maps and some of the hard ones will be available right off the bat. Like, 16+ Would be hard islands.

Also, eso upgrade items available through Void Ark with ancient coin drops and you can only get one coin a week. I'm guessing it will be 4/6/8 coins for the various upgrades or something -_- why you do this Yoshida I want my handouts now!!

Top Bottom