• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

I just reached level 60 miner and I have no idea what I would have to do to gear up without relying on just straight up buying from the market board or crafting.

I have all level 55 gear and an HQ lvl 53 pickaxe. But it doesn't even seem to be enough to collect a high enough collectible Fossilized Dragon Bone to get blue scrips so I could move up to level 58 gear.

What is wrong with people on the primal data center? Holy shite, we were on the last boss in void ark. I had to afk for 5 mins and I told everyone in alliance chat that. I return 5 minutes later and "you have been dismissed from the duty" I read the chat and someone was like DISMISS THE AFK PERSON PLEASE. Apparently, 5 mins is too much for people to wait or they can’t read? Holy Christ. I don't think I have ever seen such a shitty community in my life.

gryvan

What is wrong with people on the primal data center? Holy shite, we were on the last boss in void ark. I had to afk for 5 mins and I told everyone in alliance chat that. I return 5 minutes later and "you have been dismissed from the duty" I read the chat and someone was like DISMISS THE AFK PERSON PLEASE. Apparently, 5 mins is too much for people to wait or they can’t read? Holy Christ.

Don't the instance automatically kick you after 5 min of inavtivity?

Edit: nvm I read that someone asked in chat

Raijinken

I have discovered the absolute horror that is Brute Justice in DF. I think I'm only going to tank that fight in DF from now on.

Back when I was still with the ZR static in 3.0 we would do normal mode of Gordias together to avoid having everyone suffer in DF and not get drops. I know it takes about 30-40 minutes of raid time but I don't understand why other statics don't do this? The entire static gets gear faster this way for raid night.

Squishy3

Back when I was still with the ZR static in 3.0 we would do normal mode of Gordias together to avoid having everyone suffer in DF and not get drops. I know it takes about 30-40 minutes of raid time but I don't understand why other statics don't do this? The entire static gets gear faster this way for raid night.
That's what my static does.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

Most people in my group loaded up on crafted gear. The only reason I'm going back in is for the glamour game.

Valor

This has never happened to me at all so I dont know. They definitely dismissed me, lol.

Note to self: Never afk in this game.

Sorry to say, but afking in the middle of a duty is wasting a lot of others' time. Especially in Void Ark where you're holding up 23 other people. I don't see how the community is shitty when you queued for a duty and then had something come up in the middle of it. I always try to make sure when I sign up for a duty I can get through the entirety of it in a timely manner. I've had been afk before for several minutes and it's fine up to a point. You gotta time your afks when loot it out before you roll on it, or in the middle of a fight, so they can't kick you. Those are the true pro strats.

I mean, I don't mind spending my own time jumping in there and getting stuff. We probably should do it but you know how it is.

Ken

This has never happened to me at all so I dont know. They definitely dismissed me, lol.

Note to self: Never afk in this game.

If you get kicked by timer, you should have received two system messages that say something like:

x minutes have elapsed since your last activity. You have x minutes to take action or you will be expelled from the duty.

As for having to AFK in 24-mans, the number one rule is to do it without telling anyone. The number two rule is to do it when someone engages combat.

If you get kicked by timer, you should have received two system messages that say something like:

x minutes have elapsed since your last activity. You have x minutes to take action or you will be expelled from the duty.

As for having to AFK in 24-mans, the number one rule is to do it without telling anyone. The number two rule is to do it when someone engages combat.

Yeah it did say if I don't do anything for 10 mins I'll be expelled. I was expelled as soon as I got back though and I received the message, "you have been dismissed from the party and duty" followed by people in chat complaining I was afk. Haha, well, I'll keep that advice in mind, thanks.

@Valor: They were rude and couldn't read or were in a hurry. That's all, I think. Not saying the whole community is crap, but I have encountered my fair share of arseholes in this game, no offense.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Savage Onslaughter's Discoid mechanic.

latest

DPS get debuffs from 4 to 1. You get -1 debuff each time you pop a discoid ball. If you don't cleanse the full stack before a point in time, you will die. You can't start as a group, the group will die. Person with 4 stacks has to start, then the guy with 3 stacks joins for the 2nd orb and so on.

iammeiam

We did this; I think thanks to crafted most of us are done this week so finishing people off next week should go pretty quickly, but it ate up a decent chunk of time this week and last so I can see why a lot of groups wouldn't want to. I think we had to run 7 and 8 five times each this week because a lot of people wanted pants, which put those two floors alone at like an hour of time. We just kind of chucked raid time at it to get it done, but I can see just wanting to preserve raid time for Savage too.

BadRNG

Holding up 23 other people is also rude, that's all, I think.

We did this; I think thanks to crafted most of us are done this week so finishing people off next week should go pretty quickly, but it ate up a decent chunk of time this week and last so I can see why a lot of groups wouldn't want to. I think we had to run 7 and 8 five times each this week because a lot of people wanted pants, which put those two floors alone at like an hour of time. We just kind of chucked raid time at it to get it done, but I can see just wanting to preserve raid time for Savage too.
A lot of groups have difficulty just getting everyone together too so what little raid time they have is valuable. We probably could of made more progress in savage if we had skipped all of that but I'm glad we didn't, gear aside it was f...un? That thing talked about earlier.

I mean how often do you get to forget a party member inside a jail cell.

BKJest

What is wrong with people on the primal data center? Holy shite, we were on the last boss in void ark. I had to afk for 5 mins and I told everyone in alliance chat that. I return 5 minutes later and "you have been dismissed from the duty" I read the chat and someone was like DISMISS THE AFK PERSON PLEASE. Apparently, 5 mins is too much for people to wait or they can’t read? Holy Christ. I don't think I have ever seen such a shitty community in my life.
On the other hand you're asking 23 people to waste 5 min which is incredibly rude as well. That's 2 hours of time wasted. If you're no tank they could have just killed that boss without you. But like others said. When you're AFK for 5 min you would have been auto kicked anyway.

scy

I feel like the bigger take away is that the boss wasn't just auto-pulled. People actually waited to vote dismiss.

Eldren

I feel like the bigger take away is that the boss wasn't just auto-pulled. People actually waited to vote dismiss.

Seriously, 99% of my Void Ark runs involve someone (usually a DPS) running directly into the boss' face before half the alliance has even arrived. Waiting 5 minutes is unheard of when most DF people can't wait 5 seconds.

Unrelated but I think Vath Deftarm might be my favourite character in Heavensward so far. Love that little guy. The Vath are easily the most fun beast tribe in general for me. The quests themselves feel less tedious, it doesn't take forever to travel across the map like the Sea Of Clouds, the music in their little area is great, and I'm really enjoying the story. I like that it's tying in with other organisations and groups from the other regions, that's a neat touch.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
The number two rule is to do it when someone engages combat.

This is the ultimate solution.

23 other people not being able to progress because one person is afk for a few ain't happenin. And if it does, that's spooky. Guess it could happen if you're a tank?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
gotta say enjoying playing tank a lot more than DPS, there's more to be mindful of during battles and it makes each fight more involving, it's less about doing an strict rotation for 90% of the time and more about controlling the field.

The no wait times during queues is just cherry on top. I still use my DPS to experience a dungeon or trial for the first time since it's less stressful.

gotta say enjoying playing tank a lot more than DPS, there's more to be mindful of during battles and it makes each fight more involving, it's less about doing an strict rotation for 90% of the time and more about controlling the field.

The no wait times during queues is just cherry on top. I still use my DPS to experience a dungeon or trial for the first time since it's less stressful.

I still haven't done void ark cause all my 60s are tanks.

Lately I have found doing things as tank is less stressful. I don't have to worry about the tank wiping everyone. Unless it's the other tank.

rubius01

Lately I have found doing things as tank is less stressful. I don't have to worry about the tank wiping everyone. Unless it's the other tank.

Nah, you just have to worry about dipshit healers who dps way too much and wind up wiping everything. Or you get the dumbfuck impatient dps who pulls half the dungeon because his time is valuable and MMMMMMMMMMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX DDDDDDDDPPPPPPPPPSSSSSSS before you establish aggro.

Valor

Unrelated but I think Vath Deftarm might be my favourite character in Heavensward so far. Love that little guy. The Vath are easily the most fun beast tribe in general for me. The quests themselves feel less tedious, it doesn't take forever to travel across the map like the Sea Of Clouds, the music in their little area is great, and I'm really enjoying the story. I like that it's tying in with other organisations and groups from the other regions, that's a neat touch.

YES. It's the best beast tribe quest they've done so far especially after those stupid freaking dumb birds in the sea of clouds I don't care about. Deftarm is the best!

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Nah, you just have to worry about dipshit healers who dps way too much and wind up wiping everything. Or you get the dumbfuck impatient dps who pulls half the dungeon because his time is valuable and MMMMMMMMMMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX DDDDDDDDPPPPPPPPPSSSSSSS before you establish aggro.
No joke, sometimes I find myself screaming at the screen whenever I have to tank with an impatient DPS.

Got my Machinist to level 60 and geared her up a little bit. I'll be playing it down the line as I actually enjoyed the later parts of it. It will be a nice touch next to my BLM class, whose purpose is to nuke things, etc.

Back to leveling my PLD. Got to 55 tonight.

Man oh man I feel rusty as fuck it has been over 6 months since I did something not healer. None of the groups I was with complained, nobody died and I didn't lose hate, but man I knew I wasn't using my CDs like I should and made life harder on my healers.

Omni

gaf helped me beat ravana ex yesterday \o/

Then i looked up a thordan ex vid.
Yeah, how about no.
Thordan is actually really fun. Took a little while for me to get used to it, but it's probably my favourite fight in the game at the moment.

Plus you can get away with solo healing now quite comfortably. The ultimate kinda hurts a lot when you've only got a WHM, but when the whole party survives with like 200 health left it's kinda exciting xP

Dunan

Hey fellow Gaffers, I'm thinking of playing this again in April. I last played in 3.1, got to the Void Ark, did the regular versions of the Alexander fight; item level 190-200 or so? I'm a casual.

The first post of the OT threads used to list a bunch of servers with GAF presence; do we still have a FC on Tonberry? I'm thinking of playing there because the lag from Japan to NA on Ultros is just too long for serious gameplay, particularly when you're not that great a player to begin with.

Can't decide whether to switch servers or just start again on Tonberry with my long-neglected male protagonist, whom I've used for maybe 5 hours total since the beta.

And one more question: I bought this game for PS3 and redeemed it on PSN but could never get my license recognized when logging in to the game. When I complained to Sony, in their infinite competence, they granted me a one-time courtesy refund, but did it for the PS4 version... with which I had had no problems... so now I have no playable version of Heavensward. If I buy a disc and insert it, will that license attach correctly? SE's Mog Station thinks I own both the PS3 and PS4 versions of HW, which is fine with me, but when I try to log in on PS4, will my now-deleted PSN ownership be checked? Can/should I buy another disc? (That's a lot cheaper than a digital re-purchase.)

Valor

Hey fellow Gaffers, I'm thinking of playing this again in April. I last played in 3.1, got to the Void Ark, did the regular versions of the Alexander fight; item level 190-200 or so? I'm a casual.

The first post of the OT threads used to list a bunch of servers with GAF presence; do we still have a FC on Tonberry? I'm thinking of playing there because the lag from Japan to NA on Ultros is just too long for serious gameplay, particularly when you're not that great a player to begin with.

Can't decide whether to switch servers or just start again on Tonberry with my long-neglected male protagonist, whom I've used for maybe 5 hours total since the beta.
It sounds like you're pretty ready to move to a JP server, which would make sense. I would transfer your character over because starting over means doing all of the 2.0 story again, all of the 2.x story again leading to HW, all of the gearing up again, and all of the HW story and leveling again, which seems like a waste when you can jump back in with all of that busywork already done.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
There's no FC (only a LS), but there's a few gaffers on Durandal. It's a Legacy server though, with all merits and demerits of that fact.

ThinFinn

Hello! I've just transferred from Tonberry to Ultros myself. Pretty sure there were only 2-3 of us from GAF on the server.

I totally get the latency concern. Have been using WTFast and while it does help, going from 80ms to 280ms is just :S. That said, I definitely believe it's still playable.

Another factor you should be more worried about is the timezone difference. Sever is dead quiet during prime time over here (GMT+8) and finding people to do content with can prove to be challenging. I did however, manage to secure an oceanic LS which mitigates the issue somewhat.

I must say though, I've been enjoying myself thus far and I think Ultros is clearly the server to be on if you really wana be rolling with GAF.

I just reached level 60 miner and I have no idea what I would have to do to gear up without relying on just straight up buying from the market board or crafting.

I have all level 55 gear and an HQ lvl 53 pickaxe. But it doesn't even seem to be enough to collect a high enough collectible Fossilized Dragon Bone to get blue scrips so I could move up to level 58 gear.

Well, you may have to at least get some pieces. But the level 60 HQ stuff is actually better than the blue scrip gear. Save your blue scrips for the tomes.

NQ 60 is fine, but it'll actually make gathering red scrip harder without melds. I had not only went to get a full set of HQ mining gears, I had to meld them with just enough GP to get past 601, enough gathering to actually pick at the node, and just enough perception to get me into the 470 minimum threshold for turn ins. Since I didn't have blacksmith or weaver to 60 I couldn't meld my pickaxe, sledgehammer, or pants, but on the plus side everything else was leather and goldsmith so I could meld those.

Arkeband

Banned

You're with random people, they owe you as little as you owe them. You were better off just saying nothing and AFK'ing, you don't need all 24 people involved to clear VA (and frequently don't - you may not have noticed but 24 mans are known for having a handful of people giving zero effort).

Be a little selfish, FFXIV is very casual friendly but some content is basically busywork and not everyone has time to sit around to wait for a person they don't know who says they're going AFK for five minutes but maybe it's ten, they don't know you, why should they care?

Dunan

Thanks for all this great advice!

It sounds like you're pretty ready to move to a JP server, which would make sense. I would transfer your character over because starting over means doing all of the 2.0 story again, all of the 2.x story again leading to HW, all of the gearing up again, and all of the HW story and leveling again, which seems like a waste when you can jump back in with all of that busywork already done.

There's no FC (only a LS), but there's a few gaffers on Durandal. It's a Legacy server though, with all merits and demerits of that fact.

I must say though, I've been enjoying myself thus far and I think Ultros is clearly the server to be on if you really wana be rolling with GAF.

Yeah, this part. Being able to play with GAF has been so much fun, and so educational. This is my first MMO and if I had had to learn all that horrible MMO slang and other non-intuitive concepts alone, I probably would have quit playing.

I thought that I would eventually move to a Japanese server because of lag and time differences and wanted to learn the game with fellow English speakers first, so I put what I thought would be my secondary protagonist on Ultros and my "real" one (male) on Durandal... and then ended up sticking to Ultros for everything. I could go back to developing him on Durandal; he's at around level 25-30 in one class. There would be a ton of 2.1-2.55 content to re-do, and it might be a grind.

I consider my protagonist to be a person whose adventures I am watching, not an extension of myself, but after learning that players tend to talk in chat as if they were that person, as a man it would feel weird to talk like my real self but have a female avatar, so I might use Fantasia if I switch servers.

From what I read, Tonberry is the JP server with the most English speakers, and is the most multilingual/multicultural. That's what I want out of this game; that sounds like the most fun way to play. Back when the beta was out, Japanese speakers seemed more tolerant of people who love RPGs but don't know MMO concepts well, in contrast to the NA servers which were full of MMO veterans bringing their crazy lingo (which I later learned came from Warcraft) and expecting everyone to understand it. Is it still like this on the JP servers?

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Oh wow.
(Brute Justice: Savage spoilers)

The heartbreaking part is that this thing just pops 11 minutes into the fight with another 1.8 mil HP to itself right after you defeat the wingless combination

BadRNG

Oh wow.
(Brute Justice: Savage spoilers)

The heartbreaking part is that this thing just pops 11 minutes into the fight with another 1.8 mil HP to itself right after you defeat the wingless combination
The hell? Just how long is this fight supposed to be exactly. If it's same timer as previous longest fight, T13's 14m I think it was, then you'd need 10k dps that entire stretch? Unless there's a mechanic to take off huge chunks of his HP that seems excessive. Groups are already hitting near that on Hummel but he's basically a dummy, I assume this guy actually has mechanics and crap to do.

Is it at least fun I wonder. I know there have been twitter complaints but they complain about every progression roadblock briefly, don't know how serious to take that.

iammeiam

The hell? Just how long is this fight supposed to be exactly. If it's same timer as previous longest fight, T13's 14m I think it was, then you'd need 10k dps that entire stretch? Unless there's a mechanic to take off huge chunks of his HP that seems excessive. Groups are already hitting near that on Hummel but he's basically a dummy, I assume this guy actually has mechanics and crap to do.

I mostly just remember that story about Elysium hitting A4S Enrage the first time at like 80% remaining on Manipulator, so just because a group is seeing a thing at a specific time doesn't mean that's when it's supposed to happen.

Top Bottom