• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Tiops

Quick question: what's the best way to get Craftsman materia IV now? Everything is so incredibly expensive on the MB (300k for Control 4)...

Omni

In regards to tombstone gear, what order should we be upgrading stuff in? I know at week 7 we should have saved enough Lore for the weapon, but is there other stuff we should prioritise?

I bought the chest this week. Plus I have Midas legs and boots. Would it be better for me to buy Lore arms or head next then?

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
In regards to tombstone gear, what order should we be upgrading stuff in? I know at week 7 we should have saved enough Lore for the weapon, but is there other stuff we should prioritise?

I bought the chest this week. Plus I have Midas legs and boots. Would it be better for me to buy Lore arms or head next then?

It kind of depends entirely on your job.

Caj814

Depends on your job. For lore and midan, I'm going with pieces that improve accuracy first. In my case Body was the exception due to how long it takes to get the Midas one + the lore weeklies.

ebil

I've been reading on the net and Accuracy materia isn't a good choice for an AST main. I think I may go Determination/Piety or crit. I figured since I'm likely to have a SCH as my partner for raids or trials, I probably won't be dpsing too much. I don't know but some opinions would be nice.
I have read that statement before and don't agree with it. While this is true accuracy isn't as valuable for AST than it is for WHM and SCH because Combust/II can't miss, it's a good choice for every healer. Nothing wastes more time and MP than missing and if you have spare globals to DPS during a trial or raid you might as well make them count. Melding PIE isn't a terrible idea but if you meld PIE and then miss even a couple of Malefic II over the course of a fight, accuracy would have been more valuable.

At the very least I'd recommend meeting the expert dungeon cap because they're a joke to heal through and missing Gravity makes me sad.

You still have a lot of spare globals to DPS as a main healer in raid content, up to and including A7s (can't speak about A8 yet for obvious reasons). If you tend to be very conservative as a healer and usually don't DPS much if at all though, then don't meld accuracy.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
One day I will do T13 divebombs without messing up. The one fight with a mechanic that trumps me...-_-

Of course the harder divebombs I do perfectly
Focus target Bahamut.
When the focus target bar shows back up along with the red icon, face Bahamut. Then when the green one shows turn your camera and look for Twintania and run to the right or left then spread out from there.

White Mage?

If you're not doing Savage this doesn't matter in the slightest, but if you are interested just try to maximize the secondaries you want to focus on first. Most WHMs go for either Spell Speed/Piety or Crit/Piety. It's very easy to go the SS/Pie route this tier. I got the coat and I'm going to get the boots next.

IvorB

Looking at the Lore and Midas gear for BLM is pretty depressing as there is just accuracy everywhere. I've got the Lore pants, the Midas boots and some Midan jewelry so far. Gonna get the body from Midas also and from there I really don't know. Probably pick up the least sh*t Lore piece this week.

I have read that statement before and don't agree with it. While this is true accuracy isn't as valuable for AST than it is for WHM and SCH because Combust/II can't miss, it's a good choice for every healer. Nothing wastes more time and MP than missing and if you have spare globals to DPS during a trial or raid you might as well make them count. Melding PIE isn't a terrible idea but if you meld PIE and then miss even a couple of Malefic II over the course of a fight, accuracy would have been more valuable.

At the very least I'd recommend meeting the expert dungeon cap because they're a joke to heal through and missing Gravity makes me sad.

You still have a lot of spare globals to DPS as a main healer in raid content, up to and including A7s (can't speak about A8 yet for obvious reasons). If you tend to be very conservative as a healer and usually don't DPS much if at all though, then don't meld accuracy.

It is a pretty tough decision but my friend recommended me to go the determination/crit route but I'm not so sure after this. I do tend to DPS a lot; therefore, I imagine accuracy would be good for me like you said. I always try to dps as a healer no matter what because stance dancing is my thing and I am not scared to do it. At the same time, I don't get enough misses to really frustrate me and the expert dungeons are a cakewalk. I'm going to have to think about this. How much materia is needed to cap for expert dungeons?

ebil

It is a pretty tough decision but my friend recommended me to go the determination/crit route but I'm not so sure after this. I do tend to DPS a lot; therefore, I imagine accuracy would be good for me like you said. I always try to dps as a healer no matter what because stance dancing is my thing and I am not scared to do it. At the same time, I don't get enough misses to really frustrate me and the expert dungeons are a cakewalk. I'm going to have to think about this. How much materia is needed to cap for expert dungeons?
You need something like 470 accuracy to achieve 100% hit rate in the new expert dungeons. Baseline accuracy is around 350 IIRC? A dozen Heavens' Eye IVs will do the trick.

My melds will probably look a tad different when I'm done pentamelding my crafted accessories, though.

So I ended the level 60 main quest with an iLevel of 142.

Grabbed a bracelet using Esoterics and it jumped my iLevel to 148 (since I was stuck with a level 50 blue). That's not enough to to continue the quest (requires 180) but enough to open up Neverreap and Fractal.

Apparently the level 50 roulette also rewards Esoterics but there's like 15 dungeons I need to work my way through individually to unlock it.

So I ended the level 60 main quest with an iLevel of 142.

Grabbed a bracelet using Esoterics and it jumped my iLevel to 148 (since I was stuck with a level 50 blue). That's not enough to to continue the quest (requires 180) but enough to open up Neverreap and Fractal.

Apparently the level 50 roulette also rewards Esoterics but there's like 15 dungeons I need to work my way through individually to unlock it.

Fractal is the fastest way to get esoterics. Everytime I do a level 60 roulette, I always get Fractal. That's because everyone always runs Fractal. It's short and easy. Most dungeons always feels like there's always 1 too many enemy pulls between each boss. But Fractal has just the right amount of enemy encounters between bosses.

Fractal is the fastest way to get esoterics. Everytime I do a level 60 roulette, I always get Fractal. That's because everyone always runs Fractal. It's short and easy. Most dungeons always feels like there's always 1 too many enemy pulls between each boss. But Fractal has just the right amount of enemy encounters between bosses.

Lucky me then. I'll keep that in mind.

iammeiam

Lucky me then. I'll keep that in mind.

When you hit i170, make sure to unlock and run the two optional dungeons from 3.1 (Pharos Sirius HM and Saint Mocianne's Arboretum.) You'll get an Esoterics bonus for your first clear of each I think, and they drop i185 gear which can help upgrade some slots. Also at i170 you can unlock and run the normal mode of Alexander: Gordias, which drops items you can exchange for i190 gear plus bonus tomes on first clear. At i175, you can get in to Void Ark which drops i200.

The barrier from fresh 60 to i170 is the worst part; once you get there gear progression opens up a lot.

When you hit i170, make sure to unlock and run the two optional dungeons from 3.1 (Pharos Sirius HM and Saint Mocianne's Arboretum.) You'll get an Esoterics bonus for your first clear of each I think, and they drop i185 gear which can help upgrade some slots. Also at i170 you can unlock and run the normal mode of Alexander: Gordias, which drops items you can exchange for i190 gear plus bonus tomes on first clear. At i175, you can get in to Void Ark which drops i200.

I unlocked Arboretum. I haven't done Pharos Sirius normal, that's one of the 15 in the level 50 roulette I need to work my way through.

iammeiam

This is maybe common knowledge to Serious Crafters, but I'd seem some discussion of "why is sweet gnomefish worse than grilled sweetfish?"

Because they added some 2* recipes in 3.2 for spiritbonding/rotation practice purposes:

Greetings,

In Patch 3.2, we introduced new recipes that all crafting classes can craft for the purpose of spirit bonding. For example, two star recipes from the fourth crafting master books (sweet gnome fish for culinarians, sewing thread for weavers, and griffin leather strap for leatherworkers) were added with this in mind. These items can be crafted with far fewer materials compared to other recipes.

Additionally, if your craftmanship is over 850, these recipes can be quick synthesized. These recipes were also included as recipes in which crafters can use to practice their crafting skill rotations. For this reason, the attributes or utility for these items may be lower when compared to other crafted items. With that said, there is a possibility that these items will be used as materials for future recipes.

Requires a kind of huge amount of crystals to quick synth it out, but at least they tried? Kinda?

scy

I didn't think about that for the Sweetfish but yeah, used the CRP one to turn an NQ failed craft into materia (but not a V, because fuck).

...does this mean the like 200 Lumber I have won't be good for 3.3.

Edit: or I can read the entire quote

iammeiam

I do!

It was all downhill from here:
tpUVgDv.jpg

Squishy3

I do!

It was all downhill from here:
I started playing FFXIV in late April as a means to pass the time until The Witcher 3 came out.

I didn't finish it until August. (and now still haven't finished the first DLC addition)

Don't do FFXIV. Especially PF Sephirot clear groups. (because 8/10 times they can never get past the first phase, it's about where Ravana groups were back when that was relevant where nobody could do liberation circles.)

Gravity missing 25% of the time is the most painful thing in the game right now.

Knowing it's only going to get worse next dungeon is a depressing thought. That or suck up and invest melds in a side jobs. I will have to train myself to stop grabbing crit/det automatically from the beastmans.

Thorgal

i know the 2.0 dungeons are dead easy to begin with but now with the vit tank changes i feel like i cannot even die in them .

Unless the Healer falls asleep from sheer boredom because of the big hp buffer on my tank i am literally immortal in there .

i also should learn to use shield bash more for the stun . was a big help in Hauke manor.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
So easy to get GC seals with my PLD, everytime there's a Tank in need in the DR, that's 1k of GC seals.

Truly why should I got back to being a DPS? :)

I like my NIN, but grinding GC seals with a DPS... :eek With my PLD I'm not even trying to grind and already have 15k seals.

I just fell off the arena in Titan Normal. Where is the uninstall button?
LOL happened to me when I first fought him, too. It's like a noob marker or something, whoever rings out of the fight on Normal is definitely a noob.

Jayhawk

Spiritbonding through quick synthesis is the "best" way to get crafting materia these days, but you can make better gil in that same amount of time and effort. Thus, go with those alternative methods of gil-making and just buy materia.

Squishy3

Going from a DPS to a tank is the worst because you realize how bad all the DPS really are because you have nothing else to do.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Anyone here using logitech g600 mouse and having problems with buttons on the left side which randomly stop working (happens only in FF14).

I found multiple threads about it, but none of them provided a solution.

Valor

Going from a DPS to a tank is the worst because you realize how bad all the DPS really are because you have nothing else to do.

And when you play as a DPS you realize how bad tanks are and how they can't handle any mechanics. Really, there's no solution to the problem aside from rolling healer and carrying the group through content.

WolvenOne

So, this was difficult, but I've asked my static to start looking for a replacement for me. I'm going through a rather dire family emergency right now, and either way it turns out I'm just not going to have the time or the emotional fortitude to raid for awhile.

Really dark times, basically.

iammeiam

So, this was difficult, but I've asked my static to start looking for a replacement for me. I'm going through a rather dire family emergency right now, and either way it turns out I'm just not going to have the time or the emotional fortitude to raid for awhile.

That sucks, and I'm sorry, but it sounds like you're making the right (and responsible) decision. Everything else can wait until you get the real life stuff settled.

Tanking is the only role I have yet to use in this game but it stresses me out just thinking about it. I have had some recommendations from friends to go for warrior but I don't know. My character is an elegant elf and she would look very silly with a gigantic axe, rofl. Nah, I'm honestly just worried about how stressing it is. I'll never know until I try, I suppose. Healing at first was a bit annoying but I got it down in week 1 or 2 and ever since I have become an excellent healer. I definitely don't want to go DRK because they are squishy and die a lot in my experience... and no offense to Paladin but it looks pretty boring. There's something about being a warrior that is more appealing than the others.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!

Hope stuff gets better for you soon.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Tanking is the only role I have yet to use in this game but it stresses me out just thinking about it. I have had some recommendations from friends to go for warrior but I don't know. My character is an elegant elf and she would look very silly with a gigantic axe, rofl. Nah, I'm honestly just worried about how stressing it is. I'll never know until I try, I suppose. Healing at first was a bit annoying but I got it down in week 1 or 2 and ever since I have become an excellent healer. I definitely don't want to go DRK because they are squishy and die a lot in my experience... and no offense to Paladin but it looks pretty boring. There's something about being a warrior that is more appealing than the others.

PLD is ok, it's hard to die with them unless I or the healer fuck up. I'm pretty sure I'll get put on stun duty with Shield Bash on big groups, though, that could get boring.

Tanking IS stressful, no doubt about it. But you could try running Satasha a few times to get the hang of it, that was the dungeon I used to practice and get the mechanics of tanking down. Tam-tara Deepcroft is good, too, basically the first two are perfect for practicing. I also watched some tutorial vids on youtube to get ideas and tips, since I've never played tanks on tab-targeting MMOs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWHj695Qwbk

good tutorial vid on PLD tanking, imo.

I haven't done any end-game content, so maybe I'll get scared and never touch my PLD after trying once I get to end-game lol.

BadRNG

And when you play as a DPS you realize how bad tanks are and how they can't handle any mechanics. Really, there's no solution to the problem aside from rolling healer and carrying the group through content.
The real solution is to not DF ever, any other scenario will involve possibility of running into bad players. That said if I am going to be running with bad group I'd rather go as tank most of the time. As tank you can compensate for bad healer and dps to a degree, as healer you can as well but you cannot compensate for a slow tank. I'm horribly impatient and the tanks that pull one group at a time or take long breaks are the absolute worst.

Hope things work out for you.

If you want least amount of trouble PLD is way to go, can switch to something harder once you get used to it. There's really no big stress jump though as tank, if you can handle healing you should be able to handle tanking, the only change is you are leading the charge and setting the pace. If you fuck up everyone dies but that's same for healer so no big whoop. DRK is as squishy as the player makes it. As noted above people are terrible though so not surprised that is your impression, however it's funny you are drawn to WAR when they have widely been regarded as squishy (compared to PLD) thanks to bad players too.

Thorgal

i am quite the opposite , (for now ) i find tanking less stressful then DPS because i get to ignore mechanics that are not a tankbuster , a cleave or a mechanic that requires a tank swap .

+ the new vit changes gives me so much health even at lower levels that i am convinced the healer is boring himself nearly to sleep .

I'm getting that itch to level a new main again.

Not sure why, I like my MNK but I'm starting to get the urge to go back to BRD or MCH, or even start up NIN.

Took up SMN to 50, but after 42 I became very bored with the job. Thought I could take it past 50 but I'm meh with it now. BRD was the job I used to beat ARR with, had to stomach the sissy artifact armor before I was able to spend tomes on better gear. It was such a great job for instances, and it helped when people were all "OMG speedruns" in dungeons before that stopped. When Heavensward came out, soloing MSQ stuff was a disaster since I was squishy. Hated WM for what it changed BRD into and it coaxed me to level MNK.

Then, had some time to level MCH and eventually brought that to 60, but man the tunnel vision is real. There's just too much upkeep and micromanagement and I really wanted to like the job. To me, it feels too sluggish, plus it's DPS is dependent on procs which is a dumb design choice. BRD feels a bit more laid back as long as you keep songs/DOTs up and their DPS doesn't rely on reloading. Plus, they have decent AoE which makes dungeons a bit easy.

One of my biggest frustrations with MCH is that I set down the bishop turret on all the trash mobs for AoE burn, tank moves all the trash mobs -away- from the turret, so I have to keep resetting it. Lots of tanks in dungeons and FATES actually do this come to think of it, then they get angry that my DPS is garbage. I get they're dodging things, even BRDs never had to put up with that as much.

My BRD is at 51, perhaps I'll give it another go and make a final decision when I get that to 60.

TL;DR: Just rambling, but yeah it's looking like I want to take a ranged DPS for harder content.

iammeiam

One of my biggest frustrations with MCH is that I set down the bishop turret on all the trash mobs for AoE burn, tank moves all the trash mobs -away- from the turret, so I have to keep resetting it. Lots of tanks in dungeons and FATES actually do this come to think of it, then they get angry that my DPS is garbage. I get they're dodging things, even BRDs never had to put up with that as much.

I leveled MCH alongside somebody leveling a tank class.

Around The Vault, I'd finally had enough and asked them why they kept moving mobs out of AOE turret range. Moving the turret is easy, but they were moving stuff so frequently I'd have to wait out the CD before I could adjust and it was driving me crazy.

It turns out they had other player's effects off, and in SE's infinite wisdom it meant they never saw Bishop attacking. They couldn't see the AOE range and couldn't tell that they were constantly moving mobs out of it.

This was listed as fixed in 3.2, so you may actually run into this slightly less now that everyone can see Bishop attacking. For the tanks that drag stuff out of it anyway, I try to focus on being relieved that it's less annoying than losing a fully buffed Flaming Arrow.

Also MCH sustained AOE is comparatively mediocre, but even without Bishop if you want to push crazy burst AOE it's possible. Pop buffs + Grenado all the things and then laugh and laugh. And then run out of TP, but totally worth it.

Shamdeo

I haven't done any end-game content, so maybe I'll get scared and never touch my PLD after trying once I get to end-game lol.

I feel like it's a good job to learn the dance of a fight (lots of mitigation, simple rotations), and as you grow more confident something like WAR or DRK would probably be more fun or a better damage-dealing option.

full disclosure: full-time pld

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Took up SMN to 50, but after 42 I became very bored with the job.
SMN past 50 is where the fun really starts. Especially when you hit 58, Dreadwyrm Trance and 60 for Deathflare. I think I'll get back to my Summoner once I get a full set of equipment where no parts are limited to BLM (Eso stuff was a bummer).

Rokam

Recently started playing, played a little bit of FF11 back in the day so it's not completely new. A few quick questions regarding Mug, does it work on bosses and if so does everyone benefit or does it just give me a chance at extra loot?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Recently started playing, played a little bit of FF11 back in the day so it's not completely new. A few quick questions regarding Mug, does it work on bosses and if so does everyone benefit or does it just give me a chance at extra loot?
I don't think any dungeon bosses or mob hunt mobs drop anything.

Zomba13

FINALLY FREE OF PONY FARMING!!!!

FUCK YOU LEVIATHAN AND $ HOURS WORTH OF PARTIES GETTING IT BUT NOT ME. I WIN

Now to wait till 4.0 and unsync the HW primals for birdies.

Top Bottom