• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Are there any expert black mages here that have an "ideal" rotation to use? I've seen a couple of guides recommend to start with sharpcast fire. I've seen a couple of people use thunder over thunder III. I'm guessing it has a shorter cast time and they use the T3 proc. I'm asking because in stone sky sea I can't beat the seph ex dummy reliably but sometimes I will. It is weird and sometimes I just panic in my rotation.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!

Squishy3

Discord iOS is excellent, as is the desktop client. The only dodgy thing is the browser client not making voice 100% clear. (it's a little crackly whenever anyone talks) And then obviously the mobile client also supports phone headsets.

Discord is the god amongst voice chat clients, especially for stuff like PF groups or people subbing in to a static with the ability to create temporary memberships that last for an hour or whatever.

I've played some MMOs in the past, nothing serious since high school probably but the thing that stuck out both in FFXI and here is the community. Now, I hear a lot of stuff about how the community is often off-putting and such but damn, coming from all the toxic games this is (once again since the beta) a freaking breath of fresh air. Never in an MMO have I seen so many people with such patience and willigness to go out of their way.

Scenario 1. Leveling my THM for Swiftcast, I stupidly died in Western Thanalan while doing leves and spacing out, not paying attention to my HP. First non-instanced death ever if you discount falling from a height. Since Gridania is my home point I didn't want to respawn and waste money on teleport so I shouted if anyone could res me. In a matter of literally 15 seconds I had 4 tells and 1 backshout of people saying they're coming over. Whenever I did something similar elsewhere, I'd be laughed at and called a noob.

Scenario 2. Same day, also THM leveling. Me and an AST were familiar with the dungeon, the other 2 were first timers. This was my run of anything as a DPS so it was sort of newish to me too. This AST was amazing, a prime example of what a Mentor should be. He was patiently giving advice left and right, the other two were soaking it like a sponge because he was so concise. He also took time to explain every single boss encounter and take a breather to explain certain game mechanics. Even gave me a few advices on skill rotation. Most importantly, it was FUN for all involved and so very relaxing. We just stood for a couple of minutes after the final boss and had small talk while fooling around. Considering how silent and hurried these runs tend to be, this was really refreshing. It was the first time I felt that "MMO bonding" experience outside my FC and am still bummed not one of those people were in Moogle, otherwise I would have friended the shit out of them.

Omni

I want to get either the head or arms later from Midas. Which floors do they drop?

Kinda want to get the belt too. So hoping there aren't any clashes

Discord iOS is excellent, as is the desktop client. The only dodgy thing is the browser client not making voice 100% clear. (it's a little crackly whenever anyone talks) And then obviously the mobile client also supports phone headsets.

Discord is the god amongst voice chat clients, especially for stuff like PF groups or people subbing in to a static with the ability to create temporary memberships that last for an hour or whatever.

There are some huge benefits. While some things could still use some polish or enhancement, it's miles ahead of everything out there right now.

Going to shut down the Mumble server this weekend to get everyone in there kicking and screaming. :p

Squishy3

There are some huge benefits. While some things could still use some polish or enhancement, it's miles ahead of everything out there right now.

Going to shut down the Mumble server this weekend to get everyone in there kicking and screaming. :p
Like for VOIP in games it's Mumble or Discord or bust. Either's fine, but holy fuck Teamspeak and Ventrilo are terrible.

MogCakes

I just upgraded my monk to 204 and failed with about 8% left on it? I'm still using the Hive Claws and 185 pants, so I figure if those two pieces get upgrades it should be pretty doable.

I managed to clear it today with 3 seconds left on the clock. It comes down to perfect execution and no pauses I suppose. I didn't even need to use Tornado Kick, which was surprising.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I've played some MMOs in the past, nothing serious since high school probably but the thing that stuck out both in FFXI and here is the community. Now, I hear a lot of stuff about how the community is often off-putting and such but damn, coming from all the toxic games this is (once again since the beta) a freaking breath of fresh air. Never in an MMO have I seen so many people with such patience and willigness to go out of their way.

Scenario 1. Leveling my THM for Swiftcast, I stupidly died in Western Thanalan while doing leves and spacing out, not paying attention to my HP. First non-instanced death ever if you discount falling from a height. Since Gridania is my home point I didn't want to respawn and waste money on teleport so I shouted if anyone could res me. In a matter of literally 15 seconds I had 4 tells and 1 backshout of people saying they're coming over. Whenever I did something similar elsewhere, I'd be laughed at and called a noob.

Scenario 2. Same day, also THM leveling. Me and an AST were familiar with the dungeon, the other 2 were first timers. This was my run of anything as a DPS so it was sort of newish to me too. This AST was amazing, a prime example of what a Mentor should be. He was patiently giving advice left and right, the other two were soaking it like a sponge because he was so concise. He also took time to explain every single boss encounter and take a breather to explain certain game mechanics. Even gave me a few advices on skill rotation. Most importantly, it was FUN for all involved and so very relaxing. We just stood for a couple of minutes after the final boss and had small talk while fooling around. Considering how silent and hurried these runs tend to be, this was really refreshing. It was the first time I felt that "MMO bonding" experience outside my FC and am still bummed not one of those people were in Moogle, otherwise I would have friended the shit out of them.
Good stuff, yeah there are some cool people. There's alway that one shithead, can't be helped. But so far the community seems pretty nice.

Only problem I had with a pug was when I was tanking Sunken Temple of Qarn and one of the DPS didn't know the golem boss attacks anyone regardless if I keep aggro and dude was telling me why I couldn't hold aggro lol.

Honestly of all early game dungeons I've played, up to Stone Vigil in my case, Sunken Temple is probably the most mechanically complex dungeon. And some people don't get the mechanics of the dungeon and the boss fights in it. I ignored the dude, though.

Omni

Tonight I pretty much got all the crafted materials for the Anima Relic for about... 400k gil? I guess it really was just a case of asking people I know for help. Getting that should be very achievable now, I think. Just a matter of grinding a bit more.

9QO64Me.png

nice.

noticed that yoshi p and friends somehow got the 30 minute penalty so guess im done watching the stream lol

ebil

People complain that they misunderstand each other with positioning and die like an idiot in Sephi X PF farm groups.

People complain when you use an idiot-proof macro to carefully explain positioning throughout the fight.

You never win with PF.

PS4 Deal

Final Fantasy XIV Online Complete Ed. (PS4) $39.99 via Newegg w/ Code: EMCEHEL26 ow.ly/Zf4Id

Oh wow, I might double dip. Play on PC but I kind of want to try it out on PS4. My new FC most of them use PS4 and party chat when they raid so this would be nice.

Going to have to get used to controller only though, on PC I play with controller and keyboard because there just isn't enough room for most job's abilities and cross class skills. Perhaps they allow mouse support too... going to look this up.

Redx508

Oh wow, I might double dip. Play on PC but I kind of want to try it out on PS4. My new FC most of them use PS4 and party chat when they raid so this would be nice.

Going to have to get used to controller only though, on PC I play with controller and keyboard because there just isn't enough room for most job's abilities and cross class skills. Perhaps they allow mouse support too... going to look this up.

mouse do work on ps4 :)

iammeiam

So based on the earlier timeline, this may be the last day to see and get curbstomped by Gordias Savage before echo and nerfs.

I'm mostly curious to see if a post-nerf post-echo i220 A1S or A2S is at all distinguishable from normal mode.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
So based on the earlier timeline, this may be the last day to see and get curbstomped by Gordias Savage before echo and nerfs.

I'm mostly curious to see if a post-nerf post-echo i220 A1S or A2S is at all distinguishable from normal mode.

There's a lot more green stuff on the floor, it's festive.

edgefusion

Are there any monks here who are able to comfortably clear the Sephirot EX dummy under the time limit at or below i210? It's hurting my pride that I'm able to consistently get to 0% but fail it just as the thing explodes.

I tried at i210 with relic weapon and finished with 21 seconds to spare. If you're still struggling send me a PM and I'll see what I can do to help.

yeah, at i210 it's pretty handy. Managed to beat the A6S one with just base crafted left side (so like i215 or 216). MNK crafted stuff has accuracy and skill speed overload. Keep running out of TP.

anyway

if you're on Ultros PM me and I can run through some dummy parses and stuff with you some time and help you figure out what's up with your rotation. I'm Fiorelle Laurent in-game.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Our ninja decided to quit the game but the group's original raid leader decided to come back and go monk for us. Right now though we're living that double DRG dream until he finishes gearing and it's actually really strong.

And my potato Machinist doing more DPS than bard so I guess I'm switching full time due to the wishes of the team. Changing it up pretty early this tier /o.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Proof that bowmages are wannabe Black Mages. A true Mage would make their team work for them, not work for their team.

WolvenOne

Probably a good time to move to Discord, seeing as my ability to use Push to Talk on Mumble has just mysteriously imploded and all that. XD

iammeiam

The era of BLMs demanding a bard and anyone caring is over.

Pls be excite for the era of MCH demanding an AST to really make openers amazing. Robot pals are the future.

- Proudly not caring about optimal party comp since 3.0. Screw your double caster, I have turrets.

scy

Well, Bard is still in that theoretically better spot with their damage ceiling (and potential, their scaling is still significantly better) but MCH utility being better for the optimal (2x melee) composition as well as having suitable burst to A5S/A6S kind of warps things. MCH is still mostly in a better position this tier but Bard's personal damage will still eventually outpace them, just comes down to the Foe's vs Hypercharge in the long-run (currently edges towards Hypercharge but it's fractional percentage points and that's with lopsided tank vs healer DPS).

Basically, Bards will win the self-DPS race but total raid damage will most likely be a wash. Next tier may warp it due to the secondary stat scaling being so lopsided, if it doesn't warp it by the end of this tier.

Top Bottom