• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Meowster

Getting back into A Realm Reborn after a year hiatus and trying new things like The Gold Saucer.. awe, I'm already falling back in love with Triple Triad.

MogCakes

Ugh. I'm training on my MNK rotation and I can only hit 1405 at i210 without pots or food. Managing the DoTs and CDs is tough. No wonder BLMs are always top DPS at FFlogs.

And when you play as a DPS you realize how bad tanks are and how they can't handle any mechanics. Really, there's no solution to the problem aside from rolling healer and carrying the group through content.

idk you could be melee, die to mechanics and get carried through content. I feel like that's a win win scenario

Wow, the stories of dfing A8 are all true. It is just a huge clusterfuck in there and nobody likes to stack for whatever reason. I had to explain the whole fight to one party. I ended up getting 6 comms for it (well deserved) as these people couldn't stack, lol. I'm glad I got my loot last minute.... but it was frustrating. I dunno.... you would think a mark means get together and not stay at the end of the room, xD.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
First Zu Horn came in today.

1Q0pcF9.png

Hopefully they come in fast cause the waiting list is getting long.

• Me
  • Korra
  • Tomo
  • Angary
  • Zomba
  • Krael
  • Galen
  • Gryvan
  • Yuna
  • Qhon
  • Choco
  • Maple
  • Sosul
  • Kirito
  • Mature
  • Mina
  • Sum
  • Jeels
  • Exelon

You can add your name to it here: http://neogaf.guildwork.com/forum/t...hread?page=15&_=7282#56de2f69002aa81a14e3cdbf

Frumix

Suffering From Success
BRD feels a bit more laid back as long as you keep songs/DOTs up and their DPS doesn't rely on reloading. Plus, they have decent AoE which makes dungeons a bit easy.

Also MCH sustained AOE is comparatively mediocre, but even without Bishop if you want to push crazy burst AOE it's possible. Pop buffs + Grenado all the things and then laugh and laugh. And then run out of TP, but totally worth it.

When leveling MCH, I was incredibly frustrated with it. I hated it a whole lot and thought BRD was significantly more comfortable to play (mostly for the reasons you say!) and by that point I think I was clearing A3S on it so getting my MCH on was a bit begrudging and basically "raid leader told me it would be better for A4S so I'm doing it".

And it was only a few weeks before 3.2 that MCH finally clicked with me and from that point on I kept moving towards it and away from BRD to the point where I actually do consider BRD to be a clunkier, more involved class. Having to set AOE up is annoying (and what if RoD doesn't want to proc anyway), watching priority cooldowns is annoying and it even feels harder approaching the same numbers as on MCH, doubly so after the patch 3.2.

So basically what I'm trying to say, jobs in XIV tend to be technical and frequently before you clock a lot of experience on them you'll feel under-performing and possibly even frustrated if you look at your parse, but it goes away with practice. NIN is the same for me, it just feels so awkward right now, but I know that it's just from the lack of experience. Can't get enough of MCH!

As for AOE, it's fully sufficient provided the other DPS isn't picking their nose. What are you gonna do with all those TP anyway? Seeing numbers over 3000 from just spamming one button? Way cool.

Anyone here using logitech g600 mouse and having problems with buttons on the left side which randomly stop working (happens only in FF14).

I found multiple threads about it, but none of them provided a solution.

same mouse and no issues, I use the driver/program from logitech site then keybinded left mouse buttons on the side to things like shift+numpad for the hotkeys

When leveling MCH, I was incredibly frustrated with it. I hated it a whole lot and thought BRD was significantly more comfortable to play (mostly for the reasons you say!) and by that point I think I was clearing A3S on it so getting my MCH on was a bit begrudging and basically "raid leader told me it would be better for A4S so I'm doing it".

And it was only a few weeks before 3.2 that MCH finally clicked with me and from that point on I kept moving towards it and away from BRD to the point where I actually do consider BRD to be a clunkier, more involved class. Having to set AOE up is annoying (and what if RoD doesn't want to proc anyway), watching priority cooldowns is annoying and it even feels harder approaching the same numbers as on MCH, doubly so after the patch 3.2.

So basically what I'm trying to say, jobs in XIV tend to be technical and frequently before you clock a lot of experience on them you'll feel under-performing and possibly even frustrated if you look at your parse, but it goes away with practice. NIN is the same for me, it just feels so awkward right now, but I know that it's just from the lack of experience. Can't get enough of MCH!

As for AOE, it's fully sufficient provided the other DPS isn't picking their nose. What are you gonna do with all those TP anyway? Seeing numbers over 3000 from just spamming one button? Way cool.

So the patch did come as a small boon to MCH then? That's good to know. Another thing I wanted to point out is how good some of their lore pieces are compared to the esoteric pieces. Many pieces sported Crit + Det on them, even the weapon I believe. (More than my MNK anyway).

Maybe I could gear MCH since it's my only other 60 and give it another go. I'll be building lots of esoteric this week since it's reset day, I do void ark almost daily so I can get it to i209 pretty quick.

Thanks for the tip.

ebil

Reset day!

We're already to the point where I had to solo heal A5 while tanking the adds and handling all the bombs (and the freaking Bard found a way to eat every single one of them).

The DF laziness is strong.

Omni

So unless you do Midas savage, the highest ilevel you can hit is i230, right? I assume the next relic step will bump the weapon to i240 or something but the rest is just Lore

Sorian

Banned
So unless you do Midas savage, the highest ilevel you can hit is i230, right? I assume the next relic step will bump the weapon to i240 or something but the rest is just Lore

By the time the next relic step is here, I'm sure poverty upgrade items will be out in the wild.

iammeiam

I think the next relic step was planned for 3.25? So I'd guess that patch'll take relic to i230 or i235 at the outside. i240 step to hit with poverty lore armor upgrades in 3.3, i245 to hit alongside Void Ark Gobdip in 3.35. The lack of a step released alongside 3.2 makes it kind of weird again.

Also today marks world first groups getting 3 i240 weapons, which should maybe hopefully bring about the death of Savage Brute Justice, unless there's another HP wall or something.

Really curious to see how this tier is designed to bend/break with gear. There's a lot of 6 that at i220-ish is heavily reminiscent of A3S (did you like A3S adds phase? Good news!), but there's a lot of other stuff that changes if you can just DPS a little faster which week 7 should give everyone in the form of time weapons.

Sorian

Banned
I think the next relic step was planned for 3.25? So I'd guess that patch'll take relic to i230 or i235 at the outside. i240 step to hit with poverty lore armor upgrades in 3.3, i245 to hit alongside Void Ark .

When was the last time a relic step actually lined up with a main patch?

Sorian

Banned
I should probably have gone with 3.28 in place 3.3; it's mostly that I don't expect a leap from i210 to i240 in 3.25 itself.

I don't expect relic to touch i240 until after 3.3. 3.25 or .28 depending on how late they are will be ilvl230 if I had to bet.

Maybe this is a stupid question but I noticed some void ark blm pieces have better stats like spell speed when compared to the eso pieces for blm. Does this really matter? I'm i207 atm on blm and was wondering if I should just 210 it regardless of stats.

BadRNG

got 16k MGP right now .

by the time i got enough to get fenrir , the servers will have shut down even with the cactpot :p
Did you only start doing cactpots the past week or something? The mini pot every day adds up to a ton of MGP over time. Just doing AI matches for TT tournament participation bonus is good too. After that you'll have to actually grind for it if you want to make decent head way quickly. Outside of winning the jumbo it will never be fast.

Fenrir sucks anyway. No fly no buy.

MogCakes

Are there any monks here who are able to comfortably clear the Sephirot EX dummy under the time limit at or below i210? It's hurting my pride that I'm able to consistently get to 0% but fail it just as the thing explodes.

Omni

I still struggle to beat the Seph Ex dummy on my Bard at i207. It's either I clear JUST as time runs out, or I'm 1-3% short. Even after those rotation suggestions you guys made a while back. Plus for some reason it was worse while using an i210 Eso weapon, so I went back to my Thordan one. Dunno what's up there. Maybe the crit difference?

Guess it doesn't matter too much as I main heal, but eh. Kinda wish it wasn't so tight. Would give me more options for PF parties.

Thorgal

Did you only start doing cactpots the past week or something? The mini pot every day adds up to a ton of MGP over time. Just doing AI matches for TT tournament participation bonus is good too. After that you'll have to actually grind for it if you want to make decent head way quickly. Outside of winning the jumbo it will never be fast.

i do the mini pot for a few weeks now but usually my card sucks . today i won 3.600 mgp
don't have acces to the jumbo one though .

iammeiam

I still struggle to beat the Seph Ex dummy on my Bard at i207. It's either I clear JUST as time runs out, or I'm 1-3% short. Even after those rotation suggestions you guys made a while back. Plus for some reason it was worse while using an i210 Eso weapon, so I went back to my Thordan one. Dunno what's up there. Maybe the crit difference? l

Berimbau pretty much became obsolete when Thordan hit because it's strictly worse by around 3 DEX if you weight it all out. One point of crit is worth around 1.75 points of any other secondary for Bard, which is a huge difference, and since no WD gain from 205 to 210 crit's power overtakes all.

I would say as long as your BRD damage doesn't collapse if you have to move (and the dummy can't test this for anyone) you're probably safe to PF Seph EX on bard. The fight's DPS check is actually fairly laid back and more about just doing the mechanics than raw numbers. You're more likely to hit enrage because people keep dying than because DPS is low if everyone's half competent.

Squishy3

Provided you aren't like me and haven't seen a single card with any of the decent payouts even possible for the past 2 weeks. I haven't even seen a card with a possible 1,080 MGP on it. ;_;

WolvenOne

BTW: I am going to try to get more active here again soon. Just because I'm stepping back from the hard-core life for awhile, doesn't mean I should be as socially inactive as I have been, ya know. <_<

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Did DR Leveling today. The tank would run into the mobs, pause for about 10 seconds, then choose one (and only one) to attack. By then all the mobs were beating on me because I was healing. The DPS were all randomly attacking different targets. I ended up tanking the whole instance and just healing myself because no one would reply to anything in chat. Does hall of the novice teach basic tanking and target assisting?

Did DR Leveling today. The tank would run into the mobs, pause for about 10 seconds, then choose one (and only one) to attack. By then all the mobs were beating on me because I was healing. The DPS were all randomly attacking different targets. I ended up tanking the whole instance and just healing myself because no one would reply to anything in chat. Does hall of the novice teach basic tanking and target assisting?

It does a decent job with DPS and Tanking, telling Gladiators to use flash and pick up adds. It also tell the DPS how to focus targets and when to switch.

Thorgal

HON does teach you the core basics of tanking ,how to gain enmity on a single target and on a group it also teaches you to use skills like shield lob to pull enemies .

from what i experienced in all the dungeons i did up until now is that DPS on my server do know to focus on a single target unless they can Aoe burst them down .

PowerTaxi

Banned
Had a 1% wipe at Seph EX cause the BLM decided standing in the wrong colour side TWICE would be a good time to finish his rotation. I hate people sometimes

Sorian

Banned
Had a 1% wipe at Seph EX cause the BLM decided standing in the wrong colour side TWICE would be a good time to finish his rotation. I hate people sometimes

Colors are hard (judging from static runs and watching other statics run, I'm only half joking)

Valor

Are there any monks here who are able to comfortably clear the Sephirot EX dummy under the time limit at or below i210? It's hurting my pride that I'm able to consistently get to 0% but fail it just as the thing explodes.

I just upgraded my monk to 204 and failed with about 8% left on it? I'm still using the Hive Claws and 185 pants, so I figure if those two pieces get upgrades it should be pretty doable.

_BtB_

stupid question, is there a primer on raiding in mmo's, specifically ff14? I just got to the main story quest "operation archon" and a little weary of just jumping in and going at it. I seen a video on it, but i never raided in an mmo and just want to gain some knowledge before I queue for it. I will be using my whm fyi and I understand this is supposed to be an easy entry lvl raid, but knowledge is power!

thanks

aceface

stupid question, is there a primer on raiding in mmo's, specifically ff14? I just got to the main story quest "operation archon" and a little weary of just jumping in and going at it. I seen a video on it, but i never raided in an mmo and just want to gain some knowledge before I queue for it. I will be using my whm fyi and I understand this is supposed to be an easy entry lvl raid, but knowledge is power!

thanks

Don't even worry about it man, because people are so ridiculously overgeared for it the battle will be over in less than 3 minutes before you even know what's going on. Everyone else in there will most likely be higher level players running it for their daily trials roulette. But, it's good that you want to be prepared and honestly watching a video is more than most people do.

We couldn't do the Mario Kart method for T9 meteors because of a disagreement over which way was clockwise and which way was anticlockwise.

What is this "anti clockwise" you speak of?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Had to turn off the mount music, at least until I get a new one. I like the Chocobo theme, but after awhile... Nah.

Top Bottom