• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

iammeiam

Really the biggest curveball for Bard this tier, aside from losing Foe Req's generally unchallenged superiority to Hypercharge, is that Gordias 1-2 were extremely Bard friendly. 1 had the double-DoT DPS boost that was amazing for Bard, 2 heavily played into Bard's superior multi-target damage, and while A3S was mostly single-target the adds phase was basically designed for dream Bard AOE opportunities and the hands added some double DoT. It wasn't really until 4 that I think there was an encounter you could really justify MCH as stronger for.

5 and 6 thusfar don't really have that, and a lot of how the fights time out works well for MCH. At least for me. The lack of encounter designs that favor bard is arguably an intentional part of their de stigmatization of MCH.

Basically: They're in a weird spot right now where neither job is broken. MCH has a lot going for it, but I think the edge is intentional, and they can easily split the difference next tier by balancing encounter design to alternate which is 'better' (maybe 7 and 8 do this for all I know, I haven't looked up much on either.) How Promotion/Hypercharged works vs Songs gives MCH an edge in support things, and melding ACC to crafted has an impact on the utility of RoD, which is causing a huge swing now but they could get it right by the final tier.

...provided they find a way to make Bard fun again.

Sorian

Banned
...provided they find a way to make Bard fun again.

designall.dll

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I'm probably gonna change to MCH too once I get it to 60. Just haven't found Bard that fun to play since I resubbed.
60 bard is fine in dungeons and some of the trials but I still really don't like they made it a caster with very little utility to aid with movement.

iammeiam

You're right lets get back to real topics.
FUCKING BIRDS! I just want to ride a god damn shiny bird mount.

I use Seph bird almost exclusively to fly to nodes I'm worried about missing. Phase 1 music really adds to the tension.

Otherwise wobbly gobwalker gun still > birds

Ken

Birds have music? Is it only phase 1 stuff or does it go to Phase 2 stuff too, cause Shiva pony goes straight to Phase 2 music iirc.

iammeiam

^- Makoto is the lack of Foe Req really anywhere in like the top 10 indignities you suffer every raid? Pls.

Bard is kind of interesting to dabble with occasionally but post-minuet it's never really been fun to me. It never feels like they thought it all the way through.

Birds have music? Is it only phase 1 stuff or does it go to Phase 2 stuff too, cause Shiva pony goes straight to Phase 2 music iirc.

It doesn't appear to move on past phase 1 ever. I dunno about the other birds.

Primal Mount Music:

Garuda - Whole song (Doesn't change with phases anyway)
Titan - Last Phase
Ifrit - Whole Song (Doesn't change with phases anyway)
Leviathan - Last Phase
Ramuh - Whole Song (Doesn't change with phases anyway)
Shiva - Last Phase
Bismark - Last Phase
Ravana - Last Phase
Thordan - Last Phase
Sephirot - Phase 1 (pre-transition to giant form)
Odin* - Whole Song (Doesn't change with phases anyway)
Nightmare - ARR Standard Mount Theme
Kirin - FF XIV ARR Prelude
Bennu - T12 (Phoenix) Rumor/Assumption

*Real Money Item from MogStation

iammeiam

Original Thordan just had the one song. They made up and inserted the new thing in phase one of EX to add variety/let you tell who hadn't seen Ultimate yet because they were complaining about the superior music being missing.

I'd assume bird music is OG Thordan but I dunno.

Sorian

Banned
Ok yeah, I remember complaining about generic music during part 1 when Thor EX first dropped. Glad I'm not insane. Shame that Seph bird only plays phase 1 music since the back half is better.

I like having an astrologian on the team personally. I have no idea what that stuff does but the sparkles sure are pretty.
All the Yu-Gi-Oh macros are pretty funny too.

Speaking of DRGs and litany, it really grinds my gears when DF DRGs pop litany a few seconds after me. Like, thanks for the extra 3 seconds since you restarted the timer, but you could have timed that better.

Sorian

Banned
I like having an astrologian on the team personally. I have no idea what that stuff does but the sparkles sure are pretty.

I need a bard for foes, a DRG for litany, a NIN for trick attack, and an AST for balance and that one card that makes me cast fire IV in 2 seconds.

MogCakes

I tried at i210 with relic weapon and finished with 21 seconds to spare. If you're still struggling send me a PM and I'll see what I can do to help.

I can clear it with 3 seconds on the clock now. 21s though? Is that without food and pots? Are you using the BiS 210 gear?

edgefusion

I can clear it with 3 seconds on the clock now. 21s though? Is that without food and pots? Are you using the BiS 210 gear?

No food or pots, not BiS but not far from it. Thinking back I most likely had the midan boots at the time as I got them right away. So more like i211

MogCakes

No food or pots, not BiS but not far from it. Thinking back I most likely had the midan boots at the time as I got them right away. So more like i211

I'm using full Eso as I wait for my lore to stack up so I have a lot of SS. I find myself running out of TP at the 30 second mark if I don't Invigorate at around 640 TP. Seems the secondary stats account for more DPS than I'd thought.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
I've been using Foe Requiem on mid and final bosses only. I've found that playing a song can attract to many mobs at once. 😕

Kyrios

I'm going to start FFIV on PS4 sometime soon, I got it for $10 from one of the PS Store sales, so I figured I'd give the first free month a try.

What servers are rookie friendly? And anything in particular I should know before going through the OP? The only other MMO I sunk my teeth into was Guild Wars 2.

Teknoman

I'm going to start FFIV on PS4 sometime soon, I got it for $10 from one of the PS Store sales, so I figured I'd give the first free month a try.

What servers are rookie friendly? And anything in particular I should know before going through the OP? The only other MMO I sunk my teeth into was Guild Wars 2.

If you're North American, just go to Ultros where the majority of NA GAF plays. They've got some training stuff built into the game now, so you should be ok.

Cmagus

Copy/Paste fail on my end. ThorEx has two themes. And my edits were to add in Kirin, Nightmare, Odin, and the Bennu rumor.
I really wish they would add Thunderer to the Twintania mount it feels bad flying around in Twintania with the generic flying music.

Cmagus

If anyone is on Sargatanas and isn't part of the GAF free company but is looking for a static I currently have one going and I currently need a tank and two DPS. We are currently working on Sephirot EX and fearing for Savage.

We run Tuesday and Sunday nights at 9-11pm est (sometimes later it depends) if you're interested you can PM me here or contact me on game Eight Corova. If I'm not on you can always contact someone from the OP they will set you up and then I'll contact you when I'm on.

So like... obviously the value of the crafted relic items went down so now everyone and their mother can afford to get one to 210, but I'm still iffy about it because I forsee a nerf in the next patch to the current amount of tokens needed. I mean, nobody does gordias anymore for farming on my server. I don't know if I should try to set it as a goal for myself because it may be nerfed on purpose for people to catch up to the next ridiculous step. I still think I will take up crafting because the items needed in the future will be very costly.

Omni

Tried to do Midas 3 before the maintenance. There was a Dark Knight in the party with full strength accessories at i220 or so. Was melded too, I think.

I asked him why he wasn't using VIT gear and he started swearing and saying stuff like VIT gear is only for bad tanks and crying healers. I lagged out after that but apparently he kept going on and was booted. I mean at this point... why wouldn't you want to increase your HP? He only had 15k or something in total which isn't really much considering the amount of damage that goes around now.

Zomba13

Tried to do Midas 3 before the maintenance. There was a Dark Knight in the party with full strength accessories at i220 or so. Was melded too, I think.

I asked him why he wasn't using VIT gear and he started swearing and saying stuff like VIT gear is only for bad tanks and crying healers. I lagged out after that but apparently he kept going on and was booted. I mean at this point... why wouldn't you want to increase your HP? He only had 15k or something in total which isn't really much considering the amount of damage that goes around now.

The only reason not to use VIT gear is the secondaries might be better on a STR piece. Or you don't keep up with patch notes/community talk and don't realise that STR=VIT for tank attack power and refuse to listen to people who tell you it's been changed.

Top Bottom