• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

rubius01

I'm really surprised to read these stories every time they come up. I wonder if it's something that's specific to NA data centers because I've literally never had anyone telling me to not DPS as a healer on Chaos. And that's pretty much all I've been doing since ARR came out.

Well I've been asked
told/yelled at
for dpsing as a healer before, but I wasn't kicked. I didn't say anything and still dpsed.

I had a very strange experience once when I was a bard near the end of 2.55. I was DF'ing Keeper of the Lake and the tank was in sword oath the whole time, and I was ripping hate off of him constantly, I was at 130, full dread gear and he was rocking 115-120. Anyways we make it through, I tell him to go to shield oath, he said "bad bard is bad"
he was kinda right
and then kicked me right before Midgarswarmr. I was more confused than anything than pissed from that. But that was the only "bad" experience I've had DFing. Every other time its been fine, though you will run into some really confused players from time to time.

btw, its only me and galen on out of a FC with 410 members. Dead Game indeed.;

Robin64

Speaking of hate, is there something inherently wrong with Dark Knights? It seems every time I get a Dark Knight tank, I am pulling mobs off them so easily. I usually end up really holding myself back just so I don't become a secondary tank.

Omni

Speaking of hate, is there something inherently wrong with Dark Knights? It seems every time I get a Dark Knight tank, I am pulling mobs off them so easily. I usually end up really holding myself back just so I don't become a secondary tank.
I wouldn't say so.

The only time I have any 'trouble' holding hate as a DRK is when two high geared melees are focusing on two different targets in expert roulettes. But that's more of a gear thing than anything with the class. And it just requires me to go into single target enmity combos. Not a huge deal.

Abyssal Drain is amazing for AoE enmity generation

Sorry that has happened to you, the tank should of at least marked what he wanted to burn down, but lately I guess people assume you burn down eggs before taking on the mobs. And yes, some tanks and healers can't handle the additional load that brings, especially the part with the giant butterflies before the first boss.

As long as the eggs are up, mobs will keep spawning. It's the same in Anti-tower with the Spriggan Doorkeeper - until it dies, more mobs will spawn.

What is confusing, though, is that if you tank the mobs far enough away from the eggs no butterflies will spawn, so I don't touch the eggs there unless I see the tank go for it.

Tiops

They're probably dropping Grit to do some MAD DEEPS on the pull.

Also as a tank there's more you can do to help a pull than think that your cooldowns will save you from having to know how to position yourself and mobs and using your skills in a decent way. In the end these are still level synced dungeons and while they're not that difficult persay, there are definitely ways to really fuck yourself or your group over with how you approach the pulls.

Just remember that a pull with many mobs is likely going to last longer than Vengeance's timer. If a majority of the adds are still up and vengeance/raw intuition are down, then you need to improvise and start using other things.

Also pulling large packs of mobs and relying on Raw Intuition, for example, before you have Awareness... You're going to get straight up murdered because of popping Raw Intuition.

I know how to use my cooldowns, obviously. I'm a level 58 warrior almost and I feel like I am playing it right. I knew how to do big pulls in Aery and I did ask the healer if he/she was ok with it. They said yes, so there is NO reason to get pissy at me. Thanks for the tips though. At least you weren't being passive aggressive about it like a post on the previous page. Ridiculous.

There are a variety of factors that can lead to this happening, ranging from poor threat generation by the tank (improper order to get enough hate on a group of mobs or a single mob), to not having up hate stance (GRIT in this case maybe), to DPS not attacking the lead target (could be because it wasn't marked, or DPS ignored which mob is being prioritized by the others), to a healer over healing. In a DRK's case, it could also be a WHM holy spamming when they've popped Blood Price and need the enemy attacks to hit them to regenerate MP to help hold hate on a group of mobs.

Leunam

On the topic of DPS not attacking the tanks target:

As a tank, I don't care, because I'm holding hate on everything no problem. What I would like is if they attacked the one mob that spams AoE, because it's disruptive and displaces the tank and melee for their positionals.

As a DPS, I would hope the tank is holding hate on everything while I bang away at the big mob that spams AoE, for the reasons above. Most pulls are a bunch of small critters and one big fella that spits out circles. Having spent lots of time as a DPS I have a general idea on what species of mob is going to do what, and I prioritize accordingly.

Just tried my hand at tanking after stopping a while ago(lvl 25 mrd) and it's tough keeping enmity for all the enemies:/ does it ever get easier?

It does get easier with more tools. Use Overpower a bit more in the opening of a pull if you're losing hate. Obviously only on groups, not single target.

Squishy3

Spam overpower, click all the buttons, spin the mobs, and hit everyone except myself with petrify.
You're forgetting the tactics for content with more than 1 tank on a single boss.

Use provoke everytime it's off cooldown, otherwise what good are your CDs if you're never getting attacked!

Just tried my hand at tanking after stopping a while ago(lvl 25 mrd) and it's tough keeping enmity for all the enemies:/ does it ever get easier?

You're missing quite a few tools... including your tanking stance. On top of that, your gear isn't probably the best and the DPS can easily be capped for the instance if they're high level and synced down. If they aim at a different target, yeah, they'll probably rip it off you.

Omni

Joined a Seph ex party and got booted without them saying a word (Oh gee I wonder why). So I made my own, filled up five minutes later and got another six clears tonight. Tanking too, which is a bit different. I'm starting to enjoy it though.

Original group I joined is still looking for people over an hour later. I ain't even mad

Valor

At least you weren't being passive aggressive about it like a post on the previous page. Ridiculous.
Yeah, I'm not calling you bad or anything, just adding my two cents to try and see why they got so pissy at you. Welp, whatever, I guess. Life goes on.

Spam overpower, click all the buttons, spin the mobs, and hit everyone except myself with petrify.
As long as your deeps keeps flowing that's all that matters!

Wilsongt

Ran Brayflox normal as a DRK for the first time tonight. The SCH kept telling me to do big pulls, they could handle it. That's all fine and dandy until I run out of MP and can't grab hate as the SCH continues to bring more mobs my way.

I guess one of my friends was just really nice. She gave me the Levi minion as a gift! I tried to offer 300k and she cancelled the trade. Also have all the materials except the body stones to get the high allagan tank coat. I think it looks like the best tank glamour in the game, if not it is definitely up there. Only spent maybe 200 k so far as my friend crafted the rest of the materials. Time to farm t9, I suppose.

I also went to my first wedding in game today. A bit awkward, to say the least :O

Sifl

I login around 1-2 times a week to grind my weekly stuff and I still manage to run into stupid shit like a bard wearing 230 tank accessories with a i200 weapon.

Sorian

Banned
I login around 1-2 times a week to grind my weekly stuff and I still manage to run into stupid shit like a bard wearing 230 tank accessories with a i200 weapon.

I wore some of my tank accessories into raid last week. Still ripped apart A5S. Oops :p

Did SE say when Revenge Of The Horde would be out?

Not yet. 3.3 Preview Part 2 Live Letter Part is happening some time this month, so can't be before that. They also said they'd like to get back to the 3.5 month-ish window for new patches. So end of May-June lines up with that window.

Tiops

Finally got my BSM to 3-star thresholds! Man this shit is expensive, hope it pays off.

Pays off to be able to gear my ARM :| . Do High Mythrite Ingots sell? I make around 500k a day and it goes away so fast...

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Finally got my BSM to 3-star thresholds! Man this shit is expensive, hope it pays off.

Pays off to be able to gear my ARM :| . Do High Mythrite Ingots sell? I make around 500k a day and it goes away so fast...

Some of the stuff still sells but the big money in crafting is usually when a new patch hits.

Jayhawk

BSM was probably the worst 3-star option for this patch cycle's release since they didn't provide any raid gear. ARM could make the same ingots, and actually made raid gear. BSM has glamour options only and their profits are completely dependent on the glamour tastes and main classes of the gil whales on your server.

Economies vary from server-to-server and from week-to-week based on the activities of other crafters. The key is to do your own research to see what has lower supply than demand. If another crafter already has cornered specific markets, then you're just going to start an undercut war for items he might already have in abundant supply.

EDIT: BSM 3-star is a great option for the next patch when they will probably add new main hands and secondary tools for crafting classes. Good luck competing with other crafters to corner the market of people too lazy or too rich to craft tools for their crafting classes.

It does get easier with more tools. Use Overpower a bit more in the opening of a pull if you're losing hate. Obviously only on groups, not single target.

You're missing quite a few tools... including your tanking stance. On top of that, your gear isn't probably the best and the DPS can easily be capped for the instance if they're high level and synced down. If they aim at a different target, yeah, they'll probably rip it off you.
Cool, thanks.
Ahhhh drg.... the joke class of FF XIV :p
:,(

So for disciples of the hand, is it best to level them evenly or should I stick with one to max first?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
The Lore gun looks so much better when it's not those ugly Leviathan colors:

Ch0GFNQUkAA5wOI.jpg:large

Isaccard

I actually got kicked from an Ex Roulette Lost City of Amdapor HM last week for prioritizing AOE'ing groups.

People will kick for literally any reason, when I que DF is to go in, keep your head down and your mouth shut and do what every one else is doing, no matter how painful

I blame the game and Yoshida for allowing the kick function to be used so liberally, you can kick someone legitimately if your play style isin't in line with the rest of the groups (you want to AoE, tank and everyone is single targetting) and still be within the confines of using the kick function appropriately.

I've seen people get kicked for simply suggesting player x use ability y, or offer advice, or alternative methods after a few wipes; It happens alot more than you think

Arkeband

Banned
People will kick for literally any reason, when I que DF is to go in, keep your head down and your mouth shut and do what every one else is doing, no matter how painful

I blame the game and Yoshida for allowing the kick function to be used so liberally, you can kick someone legitimately if your play style isin't in line with the rest of the groups (you want to AoE, tank and everyone is single targetting) and still be within the confines of using the kick function appropriately.

I've seen people get kicked for simply suggesting player x use ability y, or offer advice, or alternative methods after a few wipes; It happens alot more than you think

Yeah, this is a lesson I learned in 2.X. I really wish the game would boot camp players a little harder than it currently does, all of the new additions are a great step in that direction except they're all optional, and the mentor network is a disaster like we all predicted.

Not really mean when cats are the worst :p

Edit: I got WAR to 60 last night and I have not been playing it very long. The maxed beast tribe exp was a major factor that helped me. It went super fast knowing at later levels I was getting about 600k exp per day from them. WAR is super satisfying to play! Without a doubt one of my favourite classes in game atm.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
We started Brute Justice extreme mode the other day. I have a feeling it'll be an even bigger wall than A3S was.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism

MRD can be a pain in the late 20s. Butcher's Block and tank stance doesn't come until level 30 for some reason. Once you get those, it'll be much easier. For now you'll need to use overpower and flash a little bit more, and possibly pop berserk on bosses to ramp up aggro better and keep dps from peeling off of you.

Valor

We started Brute Justice extreme mode the other day. I have a feeling it'll be an even bigger wall than A3S was.

The difference is that 3 was a wall in the middle of the track. At least there's nothing after Brute Justice so it's the summit of the mountain.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
The difference is that 3 was a wall in the middle of the track. At least there's nothing after Brute Justice so it's the summit of the mountain.
Yeah true. I think it's hilarious how there's instant punishment for failed mechanics in there. RIP cooldowns.

Caj814

Wow, dead game is super dead. Was there more online than me and galen?

The pre-patch drought. I haven't bothered logging in regularly either since I don't want to bother lore farming when new welfare gear with better stats(or secondary stat weights at least)is on the way and I've already finished my relic until the next step gets introduced.

Omni

Ran through Ravana ex with my FC today. Already cleared lots on my healer, but it was my first time tanking. Rather fun o:

Have to say though, resource management on DRK can be a little annoying sometimes. I have no problems with Seph ex or whatever, but if I'm new to something I feel like it can go so horribly wrong. I'm tempted to try PLD eventually (is that... easier?).

In a bit of a rough situation. Most friends stopped playing, and the FC i'm in is pretty much dying. Someone suggested this FC to me, and i was talking about it to a friend who might be coming back for 3.3. I would still need some time to think over a server transfer though.

My question, is how hardcore or casual is the FC? I'm pretty casual, but like to keep up with tomestones when i'm subbed. Just bought another month because i'm missing the game, but it's hard for me to run much stuff solo because of anxiety and aggro management difficulty with people who have all their i230 pieces. Still haven't done alexander midas or sephirot because of tank anxiety (where messing up means a wipe) with first runs.

If i join would i be expected to be grouping alot/ raid or are we free to do whatever?

And last, is there a specified time to how long you have to be offline before getting booted from the FC as an inactive player?

BadRNG

In a bit of a rough situation. Most friends stopped playing, and the FC i'm in is pretty much dying. Someone suggested this FC to me, and i was talking about it to a friend who might be coming back for 3.3. I would still need some time to think over a server transfer though.

My question, is how hardcore or casual is the FC? I'm pretty casual, but like to keep up with tomestones when i'm subbed. Just bought another month because i'm missing the game, but it's hard for me to run much stuff solo because of anxiety and aggro management difficulty with people who have all their i230 pieces. Still haven't done alexander midas or sephirot because of tank anxiety (where messing up means a wipe) with first runs.

If i join would i be expected to be grouping alot/ raid or are we free to do whatever?

And last, is there a specified time to how long you have to be offline before getting booted from the FC as an inactive player?
The GAF FC is pretty casual on the whole, there are raid groups (none particularly hardcore though) but majority of members just do whatever. You aren't under any obligations to do anything. It's basically an extra chat with the FC benefits and pool of people to do random content with.

As for inactivity, there's still quite a bit of room in the FC, unless you plan to disappear for like months I wouldn't worry about getting kicked. Worst case if you do, just resubmit an ingame app and you can join right back whenever you do return. People come and go all the time, it's no big deal.

The GAF FC is pretty casual on the whole, there are raid groups (none particularly hardcore though) but majority of members just do whatever. You aren't under any obligations to do anything. It's basically an extra chat with the FC benefits and pool of people to do random content with.

As for inactivity, there's still quite a bit of room in the FC, unless you plan to disappear for like months I wouldn't worry about getting kicked. Worst case if you do, just resubmit an ingame app and you can join right back whenever you do return. People come and go all the time, it's no big deal.

Hmm, that's very appealing to me.

May be a chance i'm joining in the future then. Just gotta sort out stuff with friends and my FC first

Top Bottom