• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

The GAF FC is pretty casual on the whole, there are raid groups (none particularly hardcore though) but majority of members just do whatever. You aren't under any obligations to do anything. It's basically an extra chat with the FC benefits and pool of people to do random content with.

My FC before I left was pretty much identical. It was awkward because some people were shy to talk at first. It was a group of people I have known for years and years but they started recruiting newbies. I met some cool people and some other not so cool people. Overall, though, times to get together were rare unless it was my friends. The newbies were shy and it took them a long time to open up and fit in with us. If I were on ultros, I'd definitely join you guys though. Seems like my old fc but better.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
I started playing again and Excalibur has a ton of active and cool people

Yeah, I'm on Faerie and there usually lots of people on. It's arguably one of the more social / chatty servers, so that may help it. Granted, the opposite side of that is the raid scene is virtually non-existent with those interested in that joining on the pilgrimage to Gilgamesh.

On a side note, met a few former Gilgamesh ppl that transferred to my server, and they were saying that with Gilga getting that reputation for being a progression server it's been attracting some rather abrasive sorts of late, and some of the old raiders there have started mulling leaving for other pastures if they haven't gone already. =S

Village

Dark knight question

So i have been leveling it and got it to 50.
People have been telling me i need taunt. I find out this is a level 22 gladiator class thing. I do not wish to do that, i have no interest in leveling that up at all. And if that is required for later tanking, not only do I think thats shifty game design,I'll just stop playing the class. And to be honest thats the type of thing that would start turning me off the game entirely. That's getting to "job" type stuff, and not "fun video game".

Just asking

Thanks for your timr

You need provoke if you want to tank endgame content.

And yes it's fucking annoying and stupid. All jobs have one bullshit cross class skill they need to get.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Dark knight question

People have been telling me i need taunt. I find out this is a level 22 gladiator class thing. I do not wish to do that, i have no interest in leveling that up at all. And if that is required for later tanking, not only do I think thats shifty game design,I'll just stop playing the class. And to be honest thats the type of thing that would start turning me off the game entirely. That's getting to "job" type stuff, and not "fun video game".

Just asking

Thanks for your timr
Yeah you're going to need it. Every class in the game has skills it needs from other classes.

suzu

All classes have useful cross-class skills that you're expected to have for whatever role (tank / dps / healer) you're playing.

Village

Yeah you're going to need it. Every class in the game has skills it needs from other classes.

Dps with all dragoon shit just fine.

And that's dumb. Thats legitimate dumb

All cross class shit should not be needed but slightly helpful at best. But if its needed, then ever version of that class should have it. This video game, i do want to do homework in the video game.

Like this is legitimately turning me off of this game.

ebil

Just a question about healer Midas vs lore gear. Is there a point in prioritizing some 220 gear over lore because of different stats? I've seen a few healers do it.
No, especially since you're an AST and you don't care too much about your accuracy IIRC. Go for your main stat, it's more valuable.

That being said, I still have 4/5 i220 pentamelded accessories and my i220 hands but it's more because I want to remain accuracy capped for Savage (especially since I'm stunning stuff in A6 and taking the first caster jail in A7) and I'll soon be able to get the i240 ones from A6 books so I'm not going to bother upgrading to something that's i230 only to spend a twine on it later.

Edit: just read Midas i220. No point at all, the only acceptable reason to ever downgrade gear for a healer is to meet an accuracy cap.

Valor

All cross class shit should not be needed but slightly helpful at best. But if its needed, then ever version of that class should have it. This video game, i do want to do homework in the video game.

I don't think it's that dumb. Before Dark Knight you needed two classes to unlock a job. DRK/MCH/AST buck that trend because they didn't have classes associated with them.

Getting Gladiator to 22 for Provoke isn't that time consuming. It isn't like if you roll a Bard or Ninja and need to get Lancer up to 34 for Blood for Blood, which is pretty much necessary for end game content like raids and stuff. Heck, I got my Monk to 42 for untraited Mantra just for "fun". Level 22 in this day and age is pretty much nothing.

I mean I hate to tell you this but as a Dark Knight you have five available cross class skills and you should have Convalescence (GLD), Provoke (GLD), Mercy Stroke (MRD), Foresight (MRD), Bloodbath/Awareness (MRD/GLD respectively). You have the ability to gain five more skills, so... you might as well? The highest one is MRD at 26 for Mercy Stroke. All of those skills besides Provoke are kind of like... you don't -need- them but they're -very- useful.

Omni

I only ever bothered with four cross class skills on DRK. Convalescene, Foresight, Provoke, and Bloodbath (admittedly even the latter is almost useless due to the fact that a lot of our skills are magic).

I should probably get awareness or mercy stroke at some point. But the motivation isn't there right now.

Squishy3

Awareness is level 34.

I think somebody at Square thought they were being funny with throwing one cross class skill at 34 for every job variation. At least you only need to do it once.

Awareness is level 34.

I think somebody at Square thought they were being funny with throwing one cross class skill at 34 for every job variation. At least you only need to do it once.

I'm pretty sure cross class skills were going to be their sort of talent tree variation. Take a bunch of different skills for different things that allow you to either dps/tank/pvp/ or w/e. Then they realized it was a bad a idea and stopped

Allard

I'm pretty sure cross class skills were going to be their sort of talent tree variation. Take a bunch of different skills for different things that allow you to either dps/tank/pvp/ or w/e. Then they realized it was a bad a idea and stopped

Cross class skills are a relic of 1.0 that was never removed or at least changed up dramatically. Originally it was just supposed to be classes and literally anyone could use any classes skills learned from the other classes you leveled up (the only limit was the slots you had on a class, one new slot every 5 levels but you were given 2 at lvl 1, but no new ones till lvl 11). There was no clear healers in the game so if you wanted to heal or help healing you had to level up classes that gave those skills and then merged those skills to create what you wanted. Jobs were created to limit the amount of class skills you could cross class while giving specific 'party' based abilities to a niche, they also limited the types of moves you could cross class even when you went a class only (the way it is currently). Its part of the reason I wished they had just decided to change the game up to get rid of classes and just made 'shared' skills that certain types of jobs had access to that jobs had to set and there would be like 10 you could use as you leveled up (like talents), it would have been easier to balance and would have given more choices to each job in what they wanted to use, right now you are forced to get certain skills by leveling others classes to get them and the rest are useless and because of the two class restriction some jobs are not balanced well enough so it doesn't make sense for how the current game works, just feels like a concept they don't even want to touch anymore or expand.

Edit: just read Midas i220. No point at all, the only acceptable reason to ever downgrade gear for a healer is to meet an accuracy cap.

Ah ok. Thanks a lot. I just saw some healers not wearing lore for more crit but I know mind is the best stat to keep in mind. As for melds, I have done a mix of crit, det, and spell speed. I'm thinking of removing det from my chest though.

Yeah, lancer looks boring and I have a mch at 60 so I'll have to get BFB eventually.

Hmm, seems like there aren't as many midcore static groups anymore

Seems like a decent amount of recruitment happening on Behemoth. But not sure what you define as midcore, knowing that might help somebody point you in the right direction. In general, still feels like raid activity is going down, but who knows.

Wilsongt

That is seriously sad. I have put hours and hours into this game but even I get bored at a point, holy shite.

I am working on relic number 2. Currently at light phase for Nexus. I can only stomach two or three runs of Satasha normal unsynced before I get bored and move right along. Hell, I haven't even done fates long enough to grab any crystals. Besides, no one does fates anymore. It's why I am building from scratch so I can avoid fate grinding.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Forget raiding, getting on this spike is the true end game.

Dao3YtH.jpg

Robin64

Been having a lot of fun just fishing. Went from basically zero yesterday to level 26. It's really quite relaxing and a lovely change from grinding roulettes or whatever.

Though I wish a) it didn't need quiiiite so much inventory space and b) it kept track of which lures worked for which fish. Have to use a lot of external sources with this profession, which I am never a fan of.

Wilsongt

Been having a lot of fun just fishing. Went from basically zero yesterday to level 26. It's really quite relaxing and a lovely change from grinding roulettes or whatever.

Though I wish a) it didn't need quiiiite so much inventory space and b) it kept track of which lures worked for which fish. Have to use a lot of external sources with this profession, which I am never a fan of.

Once you start, you don't stop. Fishing is still true end game.

That's because DRG is the job other DPS players have to level to get invigorate and B4B

These skills are only really needed in difficult endgame raids where you need to do your "homework" or whatever so if you're not interested in that you can just ignore them.

Village

That's because DRG is the job other DPS players have to level to get invigorate and B4B

These skills are only really needed in difficult endgame raids where you need to do your "homework" or whatever so if you're not interested in that you can just ignore them.

No no
Im going to do it now.

I wanna see how fast I can do this.

I am going to run around naked with a sword and sheild and see how fast i can feneigel 22 levels.

Arkeband

Banned
Dark knight question

Just asking

Thanks for your timr

Grinding? In MY MMO? :p

I agree that the way cross-class skills work in this game is underwhelming and they should just do away with them altogether, but on the other hand it lets you experience how other classes work, and Lord knows no one would want you as their tank if all you know is DRK.

It takes a few hours to get GLD to mid-20's, just buckle down and get some achievement points.

Seems like a decent amount of recruitment happening on Behemoth. But not sure what you define as midcore, knowing that might help somebody point you in the right direction. In general, still feels like raid activity is going down, but who knows.

A lot of the MC statics I see want to run for like 4-5 days, I'm not in the mood to run any longer than 3 days heh

Tiops

How much time do the average static took to beat A5S? I'm currently on a static and we all suck, we're close to beat A5 after 4 days of raiding.

ebil

How much time do the average static took to beat A5S? I'm currently on a static and we all suck, we're close to beat A5 after 4 days of raiding.
It took 2 or 3 lockouts for my (average) group. Very fun fight to progress through. Most raiders I know from the Coil days managed to clear relatively easily.

No no
Im going to do it now.

I wanna see how fast I can do this.

I am going to run around naked with a sword and sheild and see how fast i can feneigel 22 levels.
Getting to 22 is pretty easy and fast. Grab the ring from beating the Hall of the Novice trials, do your hunting logs until level 5 ish, do some leves till level 15 and then do a few dungeons.
WE DON'T SUCK

Valor

With modern day gear and 230 wepz you shouldn't take very long to clear a5s if you guys are making good progress. I think it took my group like... three lockouts to down a5s? It wasn't very long at all. 6 took considerably more time. It should be easier to learn now, though.

On a moderately related general note I did a thing about our falling-backwards-into-a-clear of A7s that I predicted for us on Thursday. Sometimes I hate being right.

Tiops

It took 2 or 3 lockouts for my (average) group. Very fun fight to progress through. Most raiders I know from the Coil days managed to clear relatively easily.
It's a new group, most of us didn't raid during Coil days, so we probably need to improve our ability to pay attention yet. Stupid deaths everywhere.

WE DON'T SUCK
Ratfinx Twinkledinks disagree wholeheartedly with you.

With modern day gear and 230 wepz you shouldn't take very long to clear a5s if you guys are making good progress. I think it took my group like... three lockouts to down a5s? It wasn't very long at all

Yeah, we're probably slower than average lol. But I think we can improve with practice.

ebil

It's a new group, most of us didn't raid during Coil days, so we probably need to improve our ability to pay attention yet. Stupid deaths everywhere.
Stupid deaths is the name of the game in A5s, lol. I think we cleared with no less than 7 deaths 2 weeks ago, which included both our tanks in a beautiful single Gobcharge.

iammeiam

On a moderately related general note I did a thing about our falling-backwards-into-a-clear of A7s that I predicted for us on Thursday. Sometimes I hate being right.

Enrage clears best clears. Congrats and give Felix a raise.

Leaves plenty of time to work with our Overwatch statics. We need an fflogs-equivalent to track our data.

Will it track how much time Nell spends bunny hopping around the map because he can't uncrouch?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

Took us 3 lockouts.

Congrats to you, Felix, Eve and Rae! What an amazing clear.

Squishy3

The one time I tried A5S and then that group gave up after a few pulls because "waaah not enough dps" but not letting dps figure out how to optimize dps on the double faust before hummel came down. Since that's what determines if you're able to beat hummel or not. And then when we did beat double faust before hummel came down tanks couldn't decide on how many stacks they wanted to swap on and we wiped and they were like "WELP TIME TO GIVE UP" since we were still barely beating double faust

I guess if Urch or someone starts throwing up A5S learning groups at some point I'd probably join them since my actual group I normally play with is just content with bird farming

Top Bottom