• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

iammeiam

So you haven't done it?
Yeah, it's not A3S, but it's not Shiva either. This is one time Yoshida was actually truthful about how hard it is - it's A1S level of gear requirement with T9 density of mechanics.
How tight the enrage in the last phase is also depends on the DPS in the first phase.

The post you quoted--literally the sentence after the one you bolded--said maybe iI'd hate it when I finally got in. Is that somehow confusing for you?

I didn't say it is Shiva, I said it has Shiva-like forgiveness, because even early on when eating the debuff and the AOE attrition would wreck minimum gear groups, you could recover it. People can die. People can die during the DPS check. The actual selling point of the fight is that it's all about doing the dance and not about max DPS while dancing, and it allows you missteps. This is what I saw, is reflected in most of the comments I saw from people who cleared, and something I acknowledged may change when I do actually do it. The steps are more complicated than A3S, but it's less likely to bitchslap you to death for one person messing up.

scy

The comparison to Shiva is still weird though. Half the party can sleep through that fight and you'll clear.

You're missing the point of the Shiva comparison is probably why. It's nothing about difficulty or what it takes to clear. It's individual-level screw ups that don't immediately end the fight or permanently change how the rest of the fight will go. Just a mechanics heavy fight with few ways to immediately end the fight.

Hell, your example of people still screwing up mechanics and dying multiple times is exactly the point being made. Nothing about the fight being trivial in any of that.

What even is the suggested gear level for this? I assume anyone doing this even remotely serious at the moment is rocking ilvl 200 at least if not more.

Minimum is i190? Which may be a bit low realistically I dunno.

Sorian

Banned
Even the DPS check near the beginning with the one knight doing spinning something or another right before the divebombs wasn't that bad when we went in with a death and them resurrecting and all of that. We were at the cusp where is was too much damage but still surviving it.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
i mean we all knew this patch was gonna be a bit light, but I'm coming around to the diadem (as long as it's on Dino Island), I haven't tried Void Ark yet, and the Thordan fight is pretty cool so far. The content is decent, but isn't going to last forever, but I don't think it was meant to. Relic is coming in 3.15 with a few other things, so we won't be totally dry until 3.2, but... yeah. 3.1 isn't gonna save ded gaem, but it's not that terrible.

Why do you think I'm in no rush to complete things? People who woke up at 4AM are insane.

Thordan EX is fun. They took the book (of every mechanic we've seen before) and threw it all into one fight. And once again going in blind made it pretty enjoyable to figure out things on our own. The fight just re-enforces my personal preference -- that I love the primal fights, and they're my favorite fights in the game. I guess I'm also not as disappointed with the music as some other people. And as other people have mentioned, Thordan is a forgiving fight in that no one failure spells automatic wipe. There are plenty of chances to recover so long as not too many people go down or as long as it wasn't a certain class going down during a mechanic.

Diadem is fun if you have a good group + people in the zone will work together. I think we should rename Diadem to Jurassic Park. If the thing gets more active/crowded in the coming days/weeks, it's going to be hunts again. In one of our last Diadem Normal missions, groups were already yelling at each other over not calling out Level V or Star ranked mobs. Also groups would send out scouts to find other groups doing the work to clear mobs to trigger "NMs" and then swoop in to get credit after just sitting idle. Some groups would get upset at that since they did the leg work to trigger the NM, when the other groups dropping in at the last minute to cash in on the NM could have been helping clear the trash. I view it like hunts - nobody bitches when people do the leg work to spawn an S rank and the whole server zergs it. They'll complain if they missed out, sure, but the peopel who spawn it don't usually cry about so many people showing up (unless they don't get credit for some reason).

I want to try out Hard Mode tonight if it becomes available to see what the difference is, but otherwise I think I'll swing into Diadem once a week to try to get gear for my classes.

Haven't touched Verminion yet. Will probably look into it this weekend or at least after I've cleared Thordan EX.

Did one of the two new dungeons. Need to run it again because I was falling asleep through it, but some of the mechanics I was conscious for seemed neat/different, like the poison spewing boss with poison spewing adds. The dungeon looked pretty, though.

Void Ark was decent. It seemed pretty easy, maybe easier than any of the Crystal Tower parts for a first time run. I'm hearing horror stories already though, but I mean, there are always horror stories. Wiping to the first boss of any part of CT was a real thing. I still think World of Darkness was the best, so Void Ark is a bit of a let down. The gear at least looks nice and the free twine drop every week is super quick and easy to get.

Which, in turn, renders Hunts less important than people were whining about. As somebody who endured The Hunt grind each and every time, I'm a bit relieved it's not a the forefront once again. I'm sure some people will still zerg it in the name of catching up and getting all i210 gear, but it's not necessary. For most anyone who was stuck at A3S or any of the earlier savage turns, you likely only need 3-5 twines to upgrade all your left side gear. That's 3-5 weeks of Void Ark. Given how long people have spent on savage, another few weeks to get easy upgrades to increase their chances of success doesn't seem too unreasonable. Hence, I feel hunts are merely a supplemental option and people won't be as gung ho about it. I could be wrong, though. Once people start finishing up the new content in the coming days, Hunts might be a hot topic again, but I really doubt it.

Have only done one story quest. I didn't skip the cutscenes. Will resume it probably tonight, as well as trying out Pharos Sirius HM. I also haven't had a chance to see how nice the PVP EXP increase is because pvp is beyond dead at the moment (Flames queues were 40+ mins, and even that was for 8v8v8). I'm hearing that the EXP increase overall to PVE leveling is amazing though. Glad I held off on trying to race every class to 60 before 3.1. Now I have a bunch of things I can work at in 3.1 over time to keep me occupied until 3.2. Finish leveling up all my jobs and remaining crafters and gearing up those jobs.

But anyway, I feel like moreso than previous odd number patches, this one provides a lot of options to catch up if you're trying to clear raid content and/or just want to be decked out in max level gear. With enough grinding you could have BiS for all gear without ever stepping foot in Alex Savage, sans the weapon of course. And even that might happen in 3.15 with relic depending on their stats.

scy

I want to try out Hard Mode tonight if it becomes available to see what the difference is, but otherwise I think I'll swing into Diadem once a week to try to get gear for my classes.

I'll probably try to tag along on some HM ones simply to stock some tokens for all the V materia I'll need in 3.2 gearing. That's about the only thing to look forward to out of the place I tihnk.

Ken

But anyway, I feel like moreso than previous odd number patches, this one provides a lot of options to catch up if you're trying to clear raid content and/or just want to be decked out in max level gear. With enough grinding you could have BiS for all gear without ever stepping foot in Alex Savage, sans the weapon of course. And even that might happen in 3.15 with relic depending on their stats.

It's also the first odd number patch that gives gear comparable to or better than raid gear.

All this passion and no one is even complaining about the real problem with 3.1.

No Hildebrand

That's not "real butts."

rubius01

well that was an easy drop

card116.png

Sorian

Banned
Whatever that picture is, it's blocked by my work computer.

I'll take a shot in the dark and assume it's a card though.

When does FF XI go F2P? Now that it's Main Story is over, I would like to play through the story at some point. I'm praying no major hard raid content is tied to the story...or that I could maybe just watch videos of that stuff.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
When does FF XI go F2P? Now that it's Main Story is over, I would like to play through the story at some point. I'm praying no major hard raid content is tied to the story...or that I could maybe just watch videos of that stuff.

It's not.

Sorian

Banned
Is me being zoned into a random diadem group with only 15 minutes left on their clock when I was trying to enter with a pre-made group through a FC workshop included in diadem weirdness? Because fuck that, it still put me into the two hour lockout too.

iammeiam

There are a couple of premade issues mentioned, but they say the suggested workaround is to requeue and they don't mention ending up in the wrong instance entirely so no, you're still doomed. They do mention an issue with the timer expiring "almost immediately" upon entering, which is pretty vague, though.

Jayhawk

There is an issue with Diadem that I call the Bookey Oyama entrance vortex where he is disconnected when the group enters the Diadem instance and the group is forever stuck at the circle jail at the start when he logs back in. The issue happened twice. The solution for him was to log on to Snap Punch and then log back in as Bookey. Fortunately, the 90 minute timer didn't start while we were stuck in the vortex.

Sorian

Banned
There are a couple of premade issues mentioned, but they say the suggested workaround is to requeue and they don't mention ending up in the wrong instance entirely so no, you're still doomed. They do mention an issue with the timer expiring "almost immediately" upon entering, which is pretty vague, though.

Eh, it only happened to me once and I've heard no one else make mention of it. The other 7 people got teleported back into the FC's house and I got shipped off solo into another group's instance (not really the right word but you get the gist), I was just more annoyed that an hour later I got invited to another group and found that I was still under lockout for reasons. The group had also already completed all of their objectives so I was unable to fly and clicking any of the currents just gave me an error message about how I've already discovered this. Worthless.

They ruined my husbando. D:

I'm going to assume I know who you are talking about and say you should have seen it coming when
they shifted his responsibility of giving out EX primal quests to a new npc, meaning something is going to happen to him in this expansion that would make getting quests from him odd.

Sorian

Banned
I'm going to assume I know who you are talking about and say you should have seen it coming when
they shifted his responsibility of giving out EX primal quests to a new npc, meaning something is going to happen to him in this expansion that would make getting quests from him odd.

I don't think that is who they are talking about.

MSQ character spoilers:
Pretty sure they are talking about Thancred and his new design

suzu

Nope.

I don't think that is who they are talking about.

MSQ character spoilers:
Pretty sure they are talking about Thancred and his new design

Yeah, I was referring to Thancred. He's a bit overdesigned now.

Yeah. No one cares about
Urianger

Truth.

Jayhawk

It's very romantic up there, man. Melee bros can't understand

I am watching my Twitch stream's archive of last night's diadem. Those tree moments were fun to watch, even with the hype from Mumble voice chat muted. Hot spot! Trying to get some proof of rank IVs dropping gold chests and the i210 item from a bronze chest.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Yeah, I dunno how recoverable can Thordan be considered.
We had a pretty good party just now and depending on who missed up which mechanic in particular it can instantly fuck up the raid.
Some mechanics are whatever if you mess it up, some just straight up smoke the party up.

I guess it's not A3S though, that's true.

Top Bottom