• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

iammeiam

Spent a couple hours dying hilariously in Thordan. Sticking with recoverable analysis. Most of our best runs involved deaths, and the wipes were generally unrelated (so, so many deaths during meteor phase, only to wipe when we realized nobody was expecting the phase after) It's a total mechanics memorization fight, which means a pretty steady wipe->learn mechanic->wipe a little further progression.

Fun fight so far, seems like it'll be challenging enough to not be snooze inducing but manageable for random grouping in the not so distant future.

Divebombs being totally and completely cheeseable is a huge help.

Pachimari

I'm so behind compared to the rest of you. Feels really bad. And demotivating. :(

I'll try redecorate my apartment today, so that I'll sit closer to my tv, and then use a Steam controller with the game.

IvorB

So I went back into Jurassic Park yesterday and I actually had a really good time running around and fighting star ranks. We had star ranks back-to-back two times and I made a couple of short vids. One crazy fight in a cave which was totally mental and another high up. Also one fighting the Brachiosaur. I also got a great i210 belt with Det and SS so that's pretty great.

Ken

FINAL FANTASY XIV Hotfixes (Nov. 12, 2015)

The following issues have been addressed.
  • An issue in “The Diadem” wherein all members of a pre-formed party may be unable to enter properly.
    *Regarding the separate issue in which only certain party members cannot enter properly, it has been confirmed and is still under continued investigation.
    * As a temporary countermeasure, the time the next airship exploratory mission will be available for the ship which was used to enter “The Diadem” from your Company Workshop’s Flight Control Panel has been changed from 20min to 5min.
  • An issue wherein you will be unable to summon your retainer if you queue and enter a duty with your retainer still summoned.
    * For players who were unable to summon their retainer, this fix allows you to summon them again.
    *There was also a related issue in which the purchase would fail when trying to purchase items that were put up for sale in the marketplace by the retainer who was unable to be summoned, but this issue has also been fixed.
  • A rare issue in “The Diadem” wherein the time limit may expire almost immediately upon entering.
  • An issue in “The Sunken Temple of Qarn (Hard)” wherein players may be unable to progress.
  • An issue wherein characters designated as a housemate may not be able to teleport to the house properly.
  • An issue wherein field servers may crash under certain conditions.
  • An issue with the Vanu Vanu Beast Tribe Quests wherein, when a player's reputation with the Vanu Vanu ranks up and additional bonus quests become available to the player, quests that have already been completed and cannot be accepted again on the same day become selected.
    * To address this issue, we have made changes to the Vanu Vanu Beast Tribe Quests system so that only newly added quests will be candidates for bonus quests. With this, all players who have ranked up on the same day will be able to accept the same number of quests.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/...xes-(Sep.-8)?p=3424199&viewfull=1#post3424199

Jeels

...speechless...

cc3a13cb66e94bf1290c98eedec15054_1920_KR.jpg

6feeefb495cb5d5b526cf3da2dbdf21a_1920_KR.jpg

(Moogle and Chocobo Hooded Blankets both on the SE store)

Anybody considering either of these? I wonder how ridiculous one looks wearing those haha.

Cmagus

Okay, so it took about three hours of queue time for me to get into Void Ark, once.

Was duty finder busted or something? Because Syrcus Tower and World of Darkness never took half that time at any point.

Our server feels almost dead right now. I just logged and the PF is completely empty on our server and I was just queued for Pharos HM and i gave up after 25 minutes. Even last night PF was dead except on Shiva farm party. So either everyone is in Diadem or doing hunts or people aren't logging much.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
It's as difficult as the group makes it for you which is true of every mechanics-based fight.

Right. Even then once you learn the script it's not that bad. I probably wouldn't pug the fight - I won't with Ravana or Bismarck Extreme either - but as long as people can dodge things you should be okay. The only real challenge is on the healers (like usual).

Jayhawk

Apparently these were fake.

As I suspected and said on Mumble, +79 on three stats? Too unbelievable and easy to photoshop.

yayyy my pants are still good then maybe!

Power of the Galen tree!

MNK pants from last night's last Diadem run had +37 Acc, +45 Crit, +56 Det. Not Galen pants level, but the amount of accuracy allows me to put on things like the +39 Crit, +30 Det wrists I got the other night.

studyguy

Did Thordin last night.
We didn't bother looking up strats so we've been making progress steadily, dying to a new mechanic each time. It's pretty fun all things considered.

Spawning Brachi on a bad island full of mobs is the fucking worst. Getting dogpiled by mobs other people bumble into is horrible.

Jayhawk

Almost 1 coffer per minute. We were screwed by the maintenance time cutting our run short and by having two star ranks pop at the same time at different locations. We weren't able to get enough credit on one of the star ranks. That could have been 7 gold treasure chests! We also got two i210 items from a single silver treasure chest.

Thoroughly enjoyed the event last night. So many nods and throwbacks to FFXI from fighting crabs on the beach, Serket in the desert, and memories of XI story.

Nostalgia'd hard when hearing the battle music.

My time has been limited so it looks like I won't be doing much until the weekend. Made sure to unlock everything so I can join at a moments notice. My FC seems to be in a funk lately so all those planned events kind of fell apart (and gave me time to play Fallout 4).

Then again people are getting kind of angry at Thordan and Void Ark wipes so I'm staying away from that drama right now.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Did Thordin last night.
We didn't bother looking up strats so we've been making progress steadily, dying to a new mechanic each time. It's pretty fun all things considered.

Spawning Brachi on a bad island full of mobs is the fucking worst. Getting dogpiled by mobs other people bumble into is horrible.

It's probably my favorite primal fight after Titan Extreme now. Super fun and hilarious when mistakes are made.

iammeiam

So I've been doing a bunch of stuff on basically min-iLvl AST, often with poorly geared tanks, and I still have no idea what the hell healers do in most content if they don't DPS (Savage excluded and even then it's fight specific.)

Just standing there doing nothing feels wrong and is super boring. Even with a bad tank you should be able to get a stun+Gravity off every now and then and Gravity looks cool (or Synastry, ALL THE REGENS, Time Dialation and the Gravity Spam until you realize you probably want some MP left over.)

Slice is a bad healer.
I'd let you die.

So I've been doing a bunch of stuff on basically min-iLvl AST, often with poorly geared tanks, and I still have no idea what the hell healers do in most content if they don't DPS.

Just standing there doing nothing feels wrong and is super boring. Even with a bad tank you should be able to get a stun+Gravity off every now and then and Gravity looks cool (or Synastry, ALL THE REGENS, Time Dialation and the Gravity Spam until you realize you probably want some MP left over.)
I actually dps more often than my bitching lets on. I dps only during certain boss fights but I do always dps during trash pulls because I think 99% of dps are idiots and make these encounters take longer than they should.

I simply dislike dpsing as a healer because I don't find it to be fun.

iammeiam

They watch Netflix in between and during pulls.

Everything has cast bars though, even DPSing leaves time for watching stuff. I got through a lot of Brooklyn 99 law grinding.

I simply dislike dpsing as a healer because I don't find it to be fun.

But the alternative is doing nothing which is where I get confused. You can only push so many healing buttons before there's nothing left. I've found trying to push DPS has also made me just flat better at healing since I stopped focusing on 'is everyone alive?' And started focusing on 'Is everyone good for upcoming damage for the next few seconds so I can go do something else for a few GCDs?' Puts me in a better spot for things going horribly wrong, usually.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Everything has cast bars though, even DPSing leaves time for watching stuff. I got through a lot of Brooklyn 99 law grinding.

But the alternative is doing nothing which is where I get confused. You can only push so many healing buttons before there's nothing left. I've found trying to push DPS has also made me just flat better at healing since I stopped focusing on 'is everyone alive?' And started focusing on 'Is everyone good for upcoming damage for the next few seconds so I can go do something else for a few GCDs?' Puts me in a better spot for things going horribly wrong, usually.

Helps you learn timings of stuff as well

Don't get me wrong I get where you're coming from I'm just saying I personally find dpsing as a AST or White Mage to be rather boring, do nothing during trash pulls is also boring but at least I'm doing something when dpsing.

This comes down to the skills available to AST and White Mage. I don't find dpsing as a Scholar boring for example.

jorgeton

I really want to try the Diadem. Will hopefully have time to hop on tonight and see if Ultros GAF is doing a run.

So.. that MSQ. A lot shorter than I expected. Had it done with in around 90 mins. But overall it was good. I like that it was laser focused on plot, not crappy filler.
I also love when they throw us into a dungeon with an NPC party. That was a lot of fun, and just challenging enough to make it interesting.

Plot-wise, lots of table setting for the next expansion but it was interesting enough that I powered through it in one sitting.
And i prefer Thancred's new look. He looked like a generic FF character before, now he at least looks a little more distinctive.

Sorian

Banned
MSQ character spoiler:

I also like Thancred's new look but why does he have an eye wrap now? As far as I saw, nothing actually happened to his eye right? Edgy to be edgy?

aceface

I really want to try the Diadem. Will hopefully have time to hop on tonight and see if Ultros GAF is doing a run.

I think we need to switch Friday help night to Friday diadem hilarity night. Airships just need to do their job and discover hard mode soon.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
MSQ character spoiler:

I also like Thancred's new look but why does he have an eye wrap now? As far as I saw, nothing actually happened to his eye right? Edgy to be edgy?

He basically admits he took his injuries in stride or whatever.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
MSQ character spoiler:

Secretly an Allagan

WolvenOne

Our server feels almost dead right now. I just logged and the PF is completely empty on our server and I was just queued for Pharos HM and i gave up after 25 minutes. Even last night PF was dead except on Shiva farm party. So either everyone is in Diadem or doing hunts or people aren't logging much.

PF is never particularly active on Ultros, and DF draws in players from multiple servers anyway. I rather doubt that inactivity is going to explain going from "instant tanke queues," on Tuesday, to, "Three hour tank queues" on Wednesday. That sort of drop-off is just too stark.

More likely, people are only doing Void Ark once for their weekly, then spamming Diadem or Hunts.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Well what's the point of doing Void Ark for a weekly 200 if you can do Void Ark for a weekly 210?

Most people don't play more than one job I'm pretty sure.

WolvenOne

Well what's the point of doing Void Ark for a weekly 200 if you can do Void Ark for a weekly 210?

Most people don't play more than one job I'm pretty sure.

I would actually agree with that, except that people do play more then one class in this game. Thing is though, there aren't looting restrictions in Diadem, so you can conceivably free farm up gear for alts faster there then in Void Ark.

200 gear just doesn't really work as a reward, when 210 gear can be free-farmed.

Top Bottom