• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

I was going to work on the vanu quests...but never mind after seeing this
http://gfycat.com/FreshSpanishJumpingbean
http://i.imgur.com/FDp2aE9.gifv

Bahamuth Coil is basically there for glamour and story now but it's not done by the majority of people, and new players will ignore it completely as they'll go straight to 60. Crystal Tower is now almost even more completely irrelevant.

The age of Binding Coil Of Bahamut will be done as soon as the crafting materials for the dyed versions are released.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I'm on the part of my relic where you need to just run all the old dungeons *already bought all the mats to turn in* Just taking my time doing one or two on the days I log in solo.

WolvenOne

One of the problem with heavensward and FF14 in it's current state is that yes they do add more content every time. The problem is that heavensward made a bunch of old content irrelevant/obsolete or just plain unfun to do.

Bahamuth Coil is basically there for glamour and story now but it's not done by the majority of people, and new players will ignore it completely as they'll go straight to 60. Crystal Tower is now almost even more completely irrelevant.
The huge swathe of level 15 to 50 dungeons on the levelling thing really do not compare to the newer ones in terms of mechanics, and are mostly a chore (the saving grace is that the levelling roulette is the most generous in gold and are paired with the post 50 leveling dungeons). Doesn't help too that there's still this skill block mechanic which I don't know why it's still here. The dungeons are already easy to begin with, they could at least make them not tedious.
And with 3.1, now it's most of the gear obtained with tomes of law which is becoming irrelevant. And normal gordias isn't too far off.

As FF14 continues on, pushing for more advanced gear and such, it has to pay attention to it's old content. At least that's what I think personally. Otherwise we will have a game where old players will feel gated only to the newest content, and new players will have less people and less enjoyment going up the levels.

I don't think that the game is in that much of a dire situation yet. With all the side jobbing and such. But I do have an actual worry that now that we're going into "pushing the limits of levels" territory, SE has to make sure it's older stuff doesn't fall into irrelevance

Well that's a theme park MMO in its entirety though. Once a major content push happens all the old stuff gets replaced by the new stuff. The problem with Heavensward with this kind of a model is that there simple wasn't enough content post launch. The content we have is really hit or miss also. In MMOs like this people really need goals to be working on and keep them busy. There really isn't much goal setting that we can do at the moment however.

I still mostly spend my days PvPing till reset then cap currency >>> complete gold saucer challenge log >>>> back to PvPing post 3.1 update. That's not something I'm particularly happy with.

I agree whole heartily though with what you said though, cause compared to the new stuff the old dungeons are less annoying as a whole. Out of all the new dungeons theres maybe three I like? Gubal Library, the new dungeon Saint Mociannes Arboretum and Sohm Al. The rest can get bent.

WolvenOne

I will agree that the game needs to do a better job of giving people goals right now. Also the goals need to have a fairly steady stair-like difficulty progression. Sudden spikes in difficulty drive people nutty.

So, the game needs more trials/raids, and they need to be arranged in a manner that lets players build up to the ultimate goal gradually.

I will agree that the game needs to do a better job of giving people goals right now. Also the goals need to have a fairly steady stair-like difficulty progression. Sudden spikes in difficulty drive people nutty.

So, the game needs more trials/raids, and they need to be arranged in a manner that lets players build up to the ultimate goal gradually.

Hell it doesn't even have to be raids. They could add new PvP modes with actually useful gear you could work towards. They could fix the crafting system and actually let it be apart of endgame gearing. I had all crafting classes maxxed out and geared in 2.x-I have a grand total of 2 and haven't bothered to even do red scrips cause they suck.

Some more raids that are worth my time would be nice too however.

WolvenOne

Hell it doesn't even have to be raids. They could add new PvP modes with actually useful gear you could work towards. They could fix the crafting system and actually let it be apart of endgame gearing. I had all crafting classes maxxed out and geared in 2.x-I have a grand total of 2 and haven't bothered to even do red scrips cause they suck.

Some more raids that are worth my time would be nice too however.

Oh, I agree with this. There are two problems preventing this and hopefully they get them resolved.

First is a problem of attitude. Historically the Devs have actively opposed crafted gear bring relevant to raiding, and PVP gear isn't even really useful for PVP, let alone raiding. Supposedly in 3.2 they'll be introducing crafted gear that is about on par with raid gear though, so hopefully that attitude is changing.

Second problem has been that as the game has gone on, thier development has become less focused. In 2.0 and 2.1, the game was all trials and raids, with a bare bones PVP mode on the side. As of 3.1 its, raids, trials, pvp modes, diadem, triple triad, lords of Verminion, and that's on top of all the old content that they're always adjusting.

I'm all for experimentation, but it doesn't really feel like any portion of the game is really getting the attention it deserves right now. With this in mind it's hard to see how they're going to go into certain areas and overhaul them to make them more comprehensive.

The only way I really see around this, is to focus development a bit more. For example, as novel as Verminion is, it could have been put on back burner development until they had enough content ready for a more comprehensive Gold Saucer update, and it wouldn't really have hurt 3.1 any. Heck, with those resources freed up they might have been able to polish up Diadem a bit more, or added a new Frontlines ruleset, or something. As is, they probably gave up a bit of content elsewhere for the sake of having a mini game that appearently needs a bit more polish.

Edit: To be fair, if they get the new raid in 3.2 right and people actually like it, that could go a long way towards fixing things.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Did my first raid today. Boy, what a rush. I have to say FFXIV does a great job of easing players into the game and allowing them to go at their own pace.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Did my first raid today. Boy, what a rush. I have to say FFXIV does a great job of easing players into the game and allowing them to go at their own pace.
The 24-mans or the 8-mans?

Omni

I can't even do my expert roulette as a healer without waiting like... half an hour+ in queue.

Not even close to capping eso this week

WolvenOne

Do you even PvP brah?

fake edit: and i'm not just talking about Seal Rock MyFirstPvPGameMode.

I believe Morale has no effect in Frontlines, correct? Even if it did, it still doesn't make the gear useful for much else.

Maybe for initially gearing alt classes.

Xux

Ah, the rare but amazing Roegadyn racial proc is a beautiful thing.

I actually feel bad for the cats for once? Did they think you'd do something evil if your legs weren't glued together during the dance?
It looks like she wore a skirt to PE class and doesn't want the boys to see her panties if she moves so much.
CULTURALLY ACCURATE
Culturally accurate in its lameness.

xxczx

I believe Morale has no effect in Frontlines, correct? Even if it did, it still doesn't make the gear useful for much else.

Maybe for initially gearing alt classes.
Morale does work in Frontlines, just not when the ilvl is higher than the sync level. To get BiS in Seal Rock, i180 gear is a must.

Morale does work in Frontlines, just not when the ilvl is higher than the sync level. To get BiS in Seal Rock, i180 gear is a must.

Basically all its doing is rasing the item level of an item to 210 and then it gets synced down to i180 in front line. This usually gives superior stats to PvE gear. Plus PvP gear doesn't have any accuracy on the left side making it better all around for any PvP mode. If your serious about PvP yeah the gear is a must get.

aceface

Chocolate wanted me to post on here to see if someone on Ultros could water her plants. It's in Lavender Beds, ward 2 subdivision, I think plot 59. It's the one that's on an island with a little bridge going to it, the same plot Felix has. Help us Gaf, you're our only hope!

Chocolate wanted me to post on here to see if someone on Ultros could water her plants. It's in Lavender Beds, ward 2 subdivision, I think plot 59. It's the one that's on an island with a little bridge going to it, the same plot Felix has. Help us Gaf, you're our only hope!

Naji did it, she is just too lazy to post herself.

Shamdeo

you mean people who blitz through content in a week or are hyper-selective about what they do are bored?

color me shocked

just take a break, you're gonna be ok

Sora_N

Is it possible to watch the cutscenes for dungeons later? I always feel really rushed during on my first time. I'm still newish to the game and haven't done every dungeon yet.

WolvenOne

The game's really not dead, it's just not in a good spot for people that're primarily there for the raid experience right now. Alex just feels either rushed. poorly conceived, or a bit of both. This big hope right now is that 2nd Alexander is a return to form, and is either a little bit closer to where the communities skill level is, or barring that has a more gradual/seamless difficulty progression.

Granted, there are other things they could and should be doing to make the game a bit less dependent on a good raid scene to keep people occupied, but putting in a raid people actually want to do would be a good first step. That, and they need to flipping put in the Relic grind already. Dangit, people need long term projects!

ThinFinn

gdRqF6Z.jpg
I got so bored I made a Drg Zeta. \o/

Frumix

Suffering From Success
https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/3u2wp9/quick_summary_translation_of_the_famitsu/

Haurchefant's character was originally the same in all versions but the localisation team said players from the west might not like him so they changed him without asking Yoship. Yoship only found out after a player on the NA forum posted a video comparing the jp and english version and he is sorry because the english players who respect the japanese version as the original were really angry with the changes.

Hahaha, oh wow.

Top Bottom