• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

WolvenOne

We were bored, we DFed Titan.
How, after all this time, is it still some of the most fun content this game has produced?

It's simple, reasonably fast paced, but the stakes for failing mechanics are pretty high. This combines to make it a pretty fun fight, (so long as you're not lagging, or your machine is rendering everything up to date.)

studyguy

We undersized party a bunch of primal stuff for a friend last night.
Nothing like burning Levi EX while every mechanic goes off in rapid succession.

studyguy

Did Odin too and I was like oh man he has a tank buster I forgot to mitigate, only to be hit for a paltry sum of barely 3k. Didn't even get half way through his Zanten before he was decimated either.

iammeiam

The full BG translation of the Famitsue interview has some interesting details. Aside from more info on the Diadem stuff (aether currents exist to force group cooperation and won't be going away, drop rate nerfs seem more like a joke than anything, Diadem instances last 4 hours and groups drop in/out during that period), his advice on A3S is surprisingly dead-on accurate. I'm guessing they monitor wipes and enrage is not the most common cause of death.

Will Thordan's Reign be used as a point of reference for the difficulty for future extreme primal battles?

Yoshida: We've said this before, but the battle was intended to sit between the normal and savage versions of Alexander Gordias. This one in particular was designed as a challenge for players who are working on the third area of savage to give them another near-term goal and prevent them from getting bored by giving them a new Knight weapon which they can use to keep pushing in the third part of savage. So, based on that, this is kind of a unique difficulty. For the next extreme primal we'll probably scale back the level of difficulty.

It's still been a hot topic, so do you have any advice for players who are still suffering trying to get through the third part of savage Alexander Gordias?

Yoshida: Well, it depends on where they are stuck and the individual party, so it's hard to give general advice...

Anything that we should try?

Yoshida: Well, I think working on mechanics should be the first priority rather than focusing on damage. Try a section 10 times, and give priority to getting through that part of the fight 10 times without any issue. If someone doesn't understand what to do or makes a mistake, practice for that person. If you proceed through the fight without everyone on the same page, the differences will get exacerbated. Instead of setting really high goals, work on the fight one phase at a time and you'll get better results. Let DPS be the last thing you focus on. If you're playing with a focus on DPS from the start, you'll be neglecting how to properly deal with certain mechanics. It's a much better goal to be certain that you can get through the mechanics of phases instead of being able to reduce the boss to a certain HP percentage. Part of avoiding the mechanics has nothing to do with DPS. Once you are at a point where all eight players are able to cleanly deal with mechanics, that's the first time you should start thinking about DPS. The first goal should be to kill it before timing out, and then you can think about ways to shorten the time spent in each phase.

Edit:
Hi Twitter. How are you? It's not about being godlike, it's about legitimately believing people are selling themselves short. People can improve, but there needs to be something challenging them to do so.

aceface

See what I want to do is full 24 man min ilevel sync Crystal tower. Can you do that?

^^ YoshiP, tell that to all the dps lost in the tunnel

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Got my first minion. A tiny little ship. I hope the story gives me more. Something cute would be nice.

WolvenOne

On this subject, I think the game should add some Min-Ilvl Achievements.

So, Each of the Coils, each 24 Man, and each of the 2.X dungeons.

Not sure what a good reward would be though.

Sorian

Banned
I imagined a scenario where the achievement requires that everyone in the group have an average ilvl below a certain threshold, didn't really think about the auto nerf.

The full BG translation of the Famitsue interview has some interesting details. Aside from more info on the Diadem stuff (aether currents exist to force group cooperation and won't be going away, drop rate nerfs seem more like a joke than anything, Diadem instances last 4 hours and groups drop in/out during that period), his advice on A3S is surprisingly dead-on accurate. I'm guessing they monitor wipes and enrage is not the most common cause of death.

Edit:
Hi Twitter. How are you? It's not about being godlike, it's about legitimately believing people are selling themselves short. People can improve, but there needs to be something challenging them to do so.

What I want to hear from YoshiP and the team the most is their reflections on this raid cycle once we begin approaching 3.2. I want to see if they at least see the complaints people have (other than the whining about it's too hard without saying why they think it's too hard). Specifically how it seems like moreso than any other content in the game, A3S has caused the most turmoil with the raiding community. It has to have broken up the most statics and/or have convinced people to take breaks/quit the game. Also did Thordan weapons + diadem increase raiding activity or have the opposite effect?

There also needs to be, at a certain point, an option to skip ahead to any point of a fight to practice them if you've been that far into the fight. Or basically, a training mode for any piece of content in the game. I can see how, during early progression, this would be seen as a crutch to make clearing easier/quicker, and thus they want to stretch out content. However, having to spend so much time to get to X phase of a fight again to practice it gets annoying after awhile. So maybe at the odd patches, training mode is unlocked. Kills would not count in this mode obviously, just get in as much practice as you want without worrying about a time limit or having to spend 5-7 minutes getting back to X phase. Also maybe a bit more on-screen info explaining some mechanics. Like the game will highlight drainage is out, and say the mechanic has a time limit of X seconds to deal with. Or digititis debuffs going out and practicing that + deciding your positioning. On screen indicators when mechanics are happening, info boxes/tool tips giving you what they are + any other relevant info, and a quick way to reload to the start of any "phase" or mechanic to continuously practice.

If you do the fight for real and say, wipe to a mechanic consistently, the game could suggest going into training mode to see the mechanic in detail and learning how to deal with it and practicing it.

Again, this would be completely optional. Groups that have no desire to be told/spoon fed stuff they like to figure out on their own can ignore these features and do their own thing. But this type of system would not only help groups that want it, but would be extremely helpful to the pug scene and would encourage players to try raiding if they could go into a practice mode with nothing on the line other than learning the fight.

On this subject, I think the game should add some Min-Ilvl Achievements.

So, Each of the Coils, each 24 Man, and each of the 2.X dungeons.

Not sure what a good reward would be though.

They existed at one point in development of HW. They were title rewards. Going to guess the reception to SCob Savage didn't meet their expectations -- extremely challenging content where a title as a reward wasn't incentive enough for people, thus it had a very low turn out when it was relevant.

So for a BLM normal rotation would I be correct in assuming:

B3 > thunder 1 > F3 > Enochian > F4 > F1 > F4 > F4 > F4 > procs > B3 > B4?

Having a hard time figure out where to fit another Enochian in once I hit the sub 25 second Enochian recast timer as well.

This Enochian thing is really punishing. I feel like I move even an inch and I've fucked any mock rotation I have.

iammeiam

What I want to hear from YoshiP and the team the most is their reflections on this raid cycle once we begin approaching 3.2. I want to see if they at least see the complaints people have (other than the whining about it's too hard without saying why they think it's too hard). Specifically how it seems like moreso than any other content in the game, A3S has caused the most turmoil with the raiding community. It has to have broken up the most statics and/or have convinced people to take breaks/quit the game. Also did Thordan weapons + diadem increase raiding activity or have the opposite effect?

Combining the fight Thordan is with Yoshida's comments is sort of interesting, because Thordan is in a lot of ways "Mechanics > DPS: The Fight" and the most effective way I can think of for them to push people to work on their mechanics. But, yeah, I think everyone would like to know how they interpret how this is all playing out.

There also needs to be, at a certain point, an option to skip ahead to any point of a fight to practice them if you've been that far into the fight.

This is something they were talking about in the run-up to HW and have gone radio silent on since, but I can't think of anyone who would be opposed to such a thing. That and CD resets on wipes would make progression less frustrating for everyone, and it's something 13 minute fights really need.

This does rely on them not pulling any more Nisi-style bullshit because it's impossible to really practice the second half of "intended" A4S due to the way Nisi functions. I continue to hope this materializes in 3.2 as point of the "training hall". Plus it's allow for potential cross-group collaboration without dealing with lockout BS. Information swapping and all.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

There also needs to be, at a certain point, an option to skip ahead to any point of a fight to practice them if you've been that far into the fight. Or basically, a training mode for any piece of content in the game. I can see how, during early progression, this would be seen as a crutch to make clearing easier/quicker, and thus they want to stretch out content. However, having to spend so much time to get to X phase of a fight again to practice it gets annoying after awhile. So maybe at the odd patches, training mode is unlocked. Kills would not count in this mode obviously, just get in as much practice as you want without worrying about a time limit or having to spend 5-7 minutes getting back to X phase. Also maybe a bit more on-screen info explaining some mechanics. Like the game will highlight drainage is out, and say the mechanic has a time limit of X seconds to deal with. Or digititis debuffs going out and practicing that + deciding your positioning. On screen indicators when mechanics are happening, info boxes/tool tips giving you what they are + any other relevant info, and a quick way to reload to the start of any "phase" or mechanic to continuously practice.

If you do the fight for real and say, wipe to a mechanic consistently, the game could suggest going into training mode to see the mechanic in detail and learning how to deal with it and practicing it.

Again, this would be completely optional. Groups that have no desire to be told/spoon fed stuff they like to figure out on their own can ignore these features and do their own thing. But this type of system would not only help groups that want it, but would be extremely helpful to the pug scene and would encourage players to try raiding if they could go into a practice mode with nothing on the line other than learning the fight.

They existed at one point in development of HW. They were title rewards. Going to guess the reception to SCob Savage didn't meet their expectations -- extremely challenging content where a title as a reward wasn't incentive enough for people, thus it had a very low turn out when it was relevant.

I think a lot of people are more than happy with Thordan weapons. Seems to be very little incentive to do Savage now more than ever with free twines and coats being handed out along with Diadem so people continue not to care. Just the general impression I see from people in other linkshells.

The raiding community on Ultros is pretty much shattered to pieces at this point.

Valor

I think a lot of people are more than happy with Thordan weapons. Seems to be very little incentive to do Savage now more than ever with free twines and coats being handed out along with Diadem so people continue not to care. Just the general impression I see from people in other linkshells.

The raiding community on Ultros is pretty much shattered to pieces at this point.

Here's the question that'll really bake your noodle:

Is it the people's fault, or is the raid tier just designed poorly?

A4S is the epitome of not fun. I've found enjoyment in every raid fight put forth so far, even in turn 3. A4S isn't fun. It's not engaging. I don't care about it from a fight standpoint. At least in A3S I enjoyed the wipes and the learning aspect. A4S has nothing fun to offer at any point throughout it. For the first time since I started raiding I just don't give a shit about clearing the fight, regardless of the rewards at the other side. I don't think that's a problem with me.

iammeiam

Almost everyone thinks A4S is a dumpster fire of a fight.

But the dev team seems way more preoccupied with 3, and 3 is where most people are dashing themselves on the rocks. The issues with 3 aren't the issues with 4 at all, and that's where it gets interesting/worrying for future tiers.

studyguy

My raid group personally feels like they no longer have any need to raid. Why bother trying to clear A4 now if we're less than a month from relics. Better to just pack up the current raid for another day and just wait on the next while building Dia/Relics to prepare. No one cares about the story or feels a need to clear Alex so it's effectively dead for me.

Also as far as Valor's question, pinning the blame on players will never work out. You can't force people to enjoy things they don't enjoy doing and that's that.

A4S is the epitome of not fun. I've found enjoyment in every raid fight put forth so far, even in turn 3. A4S isn't fun. It's not engaging. I don't care about it from a fight standpoint. At least in A3S I enjoyed the wipes and the learning aspect. A4S has nothing fun to offer at any point throughout it. For the first time since I started raiding I just don't give a shit about clearing the fight, regardless of the rewards at the other side. I don't think that's a problem with me.

This isn't the first time I've seen this opinion expressed. I wonder if the Japanese crowd feels the same way. I personally felt the same way about A3S myself. I attribute a3s to my raid group falling apart and moving away for other games.

studyguy

Well since the total clears world wide are pitiful, I doubt there's much of a better opinion across the pond with the JP raids.

scy

New levels of sad \o/

It's a massive let down after A3S being so well designed. It's going from a Final Coil-esque designed fight and wandering into the bad parts of Second Coil or the dumb decisions from Binding. Whoever was left with designing A4S should really not be allowed near content in the game again.

Valor

Almost everyone thinks A4S is a dumpster fire of a fight.

But the dev team seems way more preoccupied with 3, and 3 is where most people are dashing themselves on the rocks. The issues with 3 aren't the issues with 4 at all, and that's where it gets interesting/worrying for future tiers.
Right, and it definitely comes down to Mechanics versus DPS Checks.

I wonder if maybe A3S is too long? Maybe that's the issue? I wonder if they removed the adds phase if A3S would be more manageable... I dunno. It's very interesting to see what their reaction is going to be for sure. My money is on overcorrecting and Alex 2 is gonna be pushover tier.

It's a massive let down after A3S being so well designed. It's going from a Final Coil-esque designed fight and wandering into the bad parts of Second Coil or the dumb decisions from Binding. Whoever was left with designing A4S should really not be allowed near content in the game again.
Total agreement.

Well since the total clears world wide are pitiful, I doubt there's much of a better opinion across the pond with the JP raids.

Well I only ask because it seems like the JP opinions are weighted higher than ours. Though I've heard they think just the opposite so call it the grass being greener on the other side.

I know they have more clears over all than we do so I wonder if their opinions are similar.

Sorian

Banned

I wonder if maybe A3S is too long? Maybe that's the issue? I wonder if they removed the adds phase if A3S would be more manageable... I dunno. It's very interesting to see what their reaction is going to be for sure. My money is on overcorrecting and Alex 2 is gonna be pushover tier.

Total agreement.

99.9% chance of that happening. This happens in every MMO ever, it's born from foolish devs listening to the community. Pro tip: The community is stupid and the people you are hearing are the vocal minority.

My issue with A3S is that for such a long fight it's incredibly unforgiving, some of the mechanics are incredibly obtuse and are super RNG heavy, and sometimes some mechanics just don't work when you have people of varying latencies in the fight.

With FCoB I felt like I as the player was in control of everything at all times, and all mechanics were down to my execution as a player. It was also easier to find out the weak links by just knowing if they're doing their mechanics correctly.

We've had a lot of issues with Digititis and Drainage just not working properly when it should. granted we have 2 Europeans and someone from Brazil (I think?) so we have quite a few varying latencies, but I shouldn't feel punished as a player because of that. Wash Away fucking sucks. It's not a fun mechanic, it's pure RNG and it can fuck you hard. And then yeah, it's a near 13 minute fight. It's pretty exhausting to be working on the latter stages of the last phase and having to go through all the phases, including adds, to practice that.

I obviously haven't been in to A4S, but I can't say I'm looking forward to it. Honestly Alexander has been a real let down for me. A1S and A2S are snoozefest easy, A3S is frustrating and broken at times, and A4S just looks like a hot mess.

Valor

99.9% chance of that happening. This happens in every MMO ever, it's born from foolish devs listening to the community. Pro tip: The community is stupid and the people you are hearing are the vocal minority.

Normally I agree with this sentiment in many game communities, but here I find it hard to imagine that people not enjoying Alex Savage would be the vocal minority, you know? Maybe it's because I'm part of it that I don't buy it, but I'm not sure.

Sorian

Banned
Normally I agree with this sentiment in many game communities, but here I find it hard to imagine that people not enjoying Alex Savage would be the vocal minority, you know? Maybe it's because I'm part of it that I don't buy it, but I'm not sure.

You misunderstand, Alex Savage was born from the vocal minority.

"Wah, raids are too easy"

"Wah, we cleared T13 in like 24 hours from it releasing"

"Wah wah wah wah"

Now they have to correct the issue which will cause the normal overcorrection.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

I was discussing this earlier with someone and we agreed that the fight itself is hot garbage. A4S was fun for maybe the first week but now... not so much. It doesn't help that the Alexander gear doesn't even look cool either (glamour is important) and the extra strain put on everyone over A3S (healers dealing with no MP, lots of damage... tanks in DPS stance 90% of the time, etc...) and then wiping in the final phase just to slog back through the boring first 7 minutes of the fight again... yeah, no. Just terrible.

You misunderstand, Alex Savage was born from the vocal minority.

"Wah, raids are too easy"

"Wah, we cleared T13 in like 24 hours from it releasing"

"Wah wah wah wah"

Now they have to correct the issue which will cause the normal overcorrection.

Yep. Consider there's what... one group in the entire world who cleared A4S the proper way? That says something.

studyguy

Doubt Alex 2 is going to be an absolute pushover, likely it'll still have the hard gear gates of literally every raid so far. People will always bitch. Personally I hope the story is better. That was the one driving force I had in Coil. Here I could not give any less of a fuck.

iammeiam

So, really: Sacrifice Verminion to free up budget to tune an intermediate version of Alexander. Worth it? Not worth it?

Maybe A3S is less scary if you've dealt with a semi-threatening version of jiggly before. Maybe people are happy not beating Savage as long as they can beat something tuned harder than Normal.

It's clear that the current situation is bad, but going all-A1S difficulty won't really fix the problem. If they leave token systems in place and tune things too easy, you run the risk of people dropping between tiers because they've farmed pretty much everything they think is worth it. So is it worth sacrificing a random filler project to "fix" the raid scene?

Sorian

Banned
So, really: Sacrifice Verminion to free up budget to tune an intermediate version of Alexander. Worth it? Not worth it?

Maybe A3S is less scary if you've dealt with a semi-threatening version of jiggly before. Maybe people are happy not beating Savage as long as they can beat something tuned harder than Normal.

It's clear that the current situation is bad, but going all-A1S difficulty won't really fix the problem. If they leave token systems in place and tune things too easy, you run the risk of people dropping between tiers because they've farmed pretty much everything they think is worth it. So is it worth sacrificing a random filler project to "fix" the raid scene?

I'm confused what you mean by sacrifice verminion? Like go back in time and tell them not to do it? Because it's done, they literally have to do nothing else for verminion to stay up and running. I highly doubt having to add a little character sheet for each new minion added to the game is going to break any backs.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Doubt Alex 2 is going to be an absolute pushover, likely it'll still have the hard gear gates of literally every raid so far. People will always bitch. Personally I hope the story is better. That was the one driving force I had in Coil. Here I could not give any less of a fuck.

Yeah, coming off 1.x and its ending Coil's story was amazing - especially with the Bahamut/Nael tease at the end of T5. Alexander so far is just whatever.

iammeiam

I don't think we need 3 difficulty levels of Alexander.
That seems excessive, plus what would you even reward then?

There are basically three groups to service, though. The In It For The Story DF crowd, the "I want a challenge but not, you know, TOO challenging" crowd, and then the minority that digs what they were going for with A3S. The question is mostly if that minority's is sufficiently large to justify sacrificing something else for. We're stuck with story mode taking up a spot going forward--it's paid off well for them and was a good use of resources.

And they have options. 5 iLevel bump, put it on a seperate lockout so getting clears on the tough tier doesn't lock you out of attempting Savage, make that the source of mounts and minions and titles, make it the dyeable version of gear... Just titles doesn't work, but they're not without options. Even if it was something groups with everything else on farm could do one day a week to keep them engaged between tiers, it could be interesting.

I'm confused what you mean by sacrifice verminion? Like go back in time and tell them not to do it? Because it's done, they literally have to do nothing else for verminion to stay up and running. I highly doubt having to add a little character sheet for each new minion added to the game is going to break any backs.

Go back in time and undo it for this tier/sacrifice whatever random timesink minigames they have planned that'll flare up and fizzle of a la Chocobo racing, mostly. If they have to sacrifice content, is that an acceptable place to pull budget from? Kinda deal. The optimal would be a better budget overall but... SE.

for someone who wants the harder raids though, Alex Normal's existence fucking sucked.

Running that so many times for loot and then getting to Savage and all the bosses and stages and music are the same, except there are more, harder mechanics.

I would pay for them to not consider Alex normal again, or at least don't offer gear for running it so I can safely ignore it.

Sorian

Banned
Go back in time and undo it for this tier/sacrifice whatever random timesink minigames they have planned that'll flare up and fizzle of a la Chocobo racing, mostly. If they have to sacrifice content, is that an acceptable place to pull budget from? Kinda deal. The optimal would be a better budget overall but... SE.

Honest question, I wonder what has gotten more mileage so far? Chocobo Racing or A4S.

scy

A4S is a lot of DPS checks that are more of a soft kind for lack of better wording. You don't need to make it or else but you kind of have to make it or else? The fight will continue even if you're pushing late but you're just not going to make it overall or you're going to set yourself back a lot due to the adds spawning at bad times. The bringing back the whole "oops, pushed 2s too late, now you wipe" is really dumb too.

My issue with A3S is that for such a long fight it's incredibly unforgiving, some of the mechanics are incredibly obtuse and are super RNG heavy, and sometimes some mechanics just don't work when you have people of varying latencies in the fight.

While I agree with where you're going with this, I'd say the only obtuse parts are upfront (and, really, just Hand of Pain; the hand slap mechanic isn't that strange upon seeing the hand signs and the names). Latencies are latencies and drainage awkward stemming from that can be mitigated but is still ... well, awkward. I'd say most the RNG in the fight can be removed, though. Again, barring the up front parts of the fight with the way Wash Away works, you can always minimize the decision making that the random elements in the fight add. The entirety of the final phase can be planned out to the point that it looks the same almost regardless of who gets chosen for what.

It's a fight that you can take the script, take a plan, and execute it with minor variations regardless of what happens. You can be very proactive with the fight and reduce the reactive elements a lot.

Sorian

Banned
It's a fight that you can take the script, take a plan, and execute it with minor variations regardless of what happens. You can be very proactive with the fight and reduce the reactive elements a lot.

I feel like I've been saying this since forever but someone somewhere always told me that wasn't the case. Meh, whatever.

Faust all day every day.

I hope there is a group somewhere rocking full Thordan weapons that still has trouble with Faust.

iammeiam

I feel like I've been saying this since forever but someone somewhere always told me that wasn't the case. Meh, whatever.

This is one of those spots in 3 that bums me out. You can set up P4 so that the BLM never moves for a pass, melee never leaves the boss, only one debuff is ever in motion during any pass, nobody's paths ever cross, and everyone knows a movement path (if any) based off watching one other person (watching 2 lets you know where you need to end up for sure, but 1 lets you know the two spots you need to hit.) I linked our positioning thing earlier? It's worked insanely well for us and we're not super great at spur of the moment decision making.

scy

I guess a lot of it depends on what people want to define as random and how much accomodating needs to be done for it I guess. Like, is Throttle's two targets it picks a random thing that matters? I don't think so but eh.

Digititis is one of the big ones RNG wise and it can be executed with only one debuff moving and nobody having to do anything strange to deal with it. Protean Wave and Sluice are basically always treated the same regardless of who's targeted for what really.

It's worked insanely well for us and we're not super great at spur of the moment decision making.

lasers are hard

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

I hope there is a group somewhere rocking full Thordan weapons that still has trouble with Faust.

Personally, I like the pizza pie plan for A3S. Everyone picks a slice of the arena and they stay there in the first phase and again in the last.

Top Bottom