• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

So for a BLM normal rotation would I be correct in assuming:

B3 > thunder 1 > F3 > Enochian > F4 > F1 > F4 > F4 > F4 > procs > B3 > B4?

Having a hard time figure out where to fit another Enochian in once I hit the sub 25 second Enochian recast timer as well.

This Enochian thing is really punishing. I feel like I move even an inch and I've fucked any mock rotation I have.

Jumbled thoughts incoming.

Leaving the topic of openers to one side, four F4 and one Fire 1 are the absolute basics of it. F4x2 F1 F4x2 is more typical as it's easier to squeeze in procs on your first and third rotations, but you can play it by ear, for example if you know you need to cast F4 > F1 before three F4s because you need to use F1's short cast time to deal with a mechanic/dodge (especially if you've sharpcasted it and know you've got a Firestarter to keep you going for sustained movement).

You're right that the rotation is quite strict, and predicting movement is really the best way to deal with it. Sharpcast and Swiftcast are your greatest friends in the world. Completely arbitrary example where you might need to dump an AOE away from the party and then come back for group heals:
Sprint > Sharpcast > Fire 3 > Fire > Fire 4 > Fire 4 > Firestarter while running > Fire 4 > Fire 4 > Blizzard 3 > Aetherial Manipulation > Blizzard 4 (swiftcast if time is tight)

Ley Lines is really great - if you know you can dodge something while staying in Ley Lines, it gives you just a little more room to move without dropping your stacks. If you're in the habit of standing bang in the middle of it, get used to going right to the edge of it so that you can cross the whole thing to move, or easily step out to bait a predictable AOE.

For reapplying Enochian after 25 seconds, typically you'd let it run out after your third Blizzard 3, then recast Enochian at the start of your next Fire rotation. (Enochian -> Blizz 4 refresh -> Blizz 4 refresh -> Enochian)
If you're coming to the end of a phase of a fight and you're on your 20 second Enochian rotation, but you still have something to attack, you have two options: let it drop off if you don't need Fire 4s (to avoid wasting a new Enochian and most likely losing it during downtime), or do a shorter rotation and step into the strange world of 15 second Enochian. I am not a mathematician so I don't know which is better, and I just play it by ear (e.g. 'Do I really need to swiftcast a Fire 4 on this thing at the last second and maybe pray for a crit?'). Maybe someone else can share some insight here. I wing it quite a lot.

Aikaal's guide on the OF is really good for information about possible rotations etc, but I think it takes a good deal of practice to get used to Enochian so that you can add instinct (e.g. knowing your timers without looking, knowing what you can budget into x seconds, etc.) to the strategy you're using. It makes the class very satisfying and engaging to play.

Edit: Looking this over, I probably could have just said 'It's more like a priority system than a rotation.'

WolvenOne

Probably the best way to fix the raids is to add an additional fight and ease up the difficulty more gradually. If say, the first three fights are just above FCOB difficulty,the fourth is somewhere between FCOB and Savage Difficulty, and the last fight is the only fight that is truly Savage level, I don't think people would be nearly as frustrated. First, this gives players of intermediate skill more fights at their natural skill level before they hit a potential brick wall. Second, it gives the developers more opportunities to prepare players and to get them accustomed to working together. Finally, there's the psychological aspect. A lot of people I've talked to have had a hard time finding motivation for A3S, because they know there's another fight behind it of similar difficulty. It's simply easier for people to rally to the occasion near the end of a raid, then in the middle of it.

That said, normal mode should be just a bit more difficult as well. Not dramatically so, but making it too easy doesn't really do anything to prepare players for the real raid, if they decide they want to participate.

WolvenOne

At least make Alex Normal a tad harder. I'm tired of seeing Alex 1 runs where one dps can do the work of 3.

Definitely agree. Normal Alex should be roughly as difficult as the original HM primals, with adjustments upward to compensate for more players knowing how to play. That might not sound like much, but it was a long time before you could DF the original three primals and have a reasonable expectation of clearing them in a few attemps. Conversely, Alexander Normal could be cleared with a duty finder group within a few days, only A4N really needed a degree of caution.

Additionally, the drop system should be changed for 2nd Alexander Normal mode. The drop system for the first one required considerable farming and turned already easy trials into a chore quickly. Instead they should just have a normal drop system complimented by weekly tokens.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
So, really: Sacrifice Verminion to free up budget to tune an intermediate version of Alexander. Worth it? Not worth it?

Is anyone even really playing verminion? If so, will they be a month from now?

WAR/DRKs get a room already.

jZmrO8b.png

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Doesn't this describe the Golden Saucer in general?

There's some neat stuff in there but after a month that place was dead.

It could. I haven't kept up with Verminion too much so I don't know how popular it is. Doesn't seem like people are talking about it too much. If it really isn't that popular it's kind of a shame considering how much effort went into it.
Hence my amazement that people could afford Gold Dance so soon
Crazy people been grinding out MGP forever. I'm sitting on 100k and all I ever do is mini-cacpot. Anyone who puts at least some effort into it is going to have a lot more than that.

BLCKATK

Barely anyone was doing Verminion on launch week. :<

They put a lot of effort into the game, but the tournament system is broken. So I think that's a huge deterrent for New people to come in, and the only people you see now are the people that legitmately love the minigame and the gold saucer veterans.

My girlfriend has been pretty bored of the game lately, so she hit Verminion pretty hard when it came out. Now she's one of the only people on our server that plays it regularly (and I play on Balmung) and whenever newbies come in, she just stomps em because they don't know how to play and then the newbies get frustrated and leave, never to return. When tournaments come around, people boost their wins, and people with low RP have a distinct advantage over people that play consistently. Even if you have a bunch of wins in the tourney, you might not even place well. If you are a low ranked player and pay a high ranked player to boost you up, you can place in the top ten easily. The system just doesn't work.

WolvenOne

Honestly, they shouldn't add anymore side games. I'm sorry but they hardly have the resources to tune and balance the side games they have now. I know they want to give people stuff on the side to do, but I'd rather they just put more resources into the games and systems they already have rather then just adding more and more.

Sorian

Banned
They put a lot of effort into the game, but the tournament system is broken. So I think that's a huge deterrent for New people to come in, and the only people you see now are the people that legitmately love the minigame and the gold saucer veterans.

My girlfriend has been pretty bored of the game lately, so she hit Verminion pretty hard when it came out. Now she's one of the only people on our server that plays it regularly (and I play on Balmung) and whenever newbies come in, she just stomps em because they don't know how to play and then the newbies get frustrated and leave, never to return. When tournaments come around, people boost their wins, and people with low RP have a distinct advantage over people that play consistently. Even if you have a bunch of wins in the tourney, you might not even place well. If you are a low ranked player and pay a high ranked player to boost you up, you can place in the top ten easily. The system just doesn't work.

Placing has no real bearing on how much MGP you get though, it's just based on wins. I do agree that the scoring is complete bullshit (I lose a bunch on purpose in between tournaments to knock my score back down to 1000) but it's not actually have a drastic effect.

The best part about this is people actually claim that Koji-Fox actually has some say in the script or helps write it, which he doesn't. The story and script are written entirely by JP main scenario writer Kazutoyo Maehiro and then translated and localized by the 3 teams which handle EN, DE, and FR. The uproar over the piss-poor translation of Midgardsormr's conversation in Keeper of the Lake wasn't just an isolated incident.

I notice that while Middawg didn't have that much to say in the expac, his translation was much better than it was in KotL. If nothing else does, at least a nice therapeutic yelling at Koji-Fox and his team delivered by Yoshi seems to get him back in line. And we know Koji-Fox can understand everything that Yoshi says.

Omni

I tried to do the Verminion tutorial but it... kinda frustrated me. Felt so clunky with a controller. I have no intention of ever touching it again

Frumix

Suffering From Success
There's definitely more uneasiness in the Japanese community about the current tier, talks of statics disbanding, wastefulness of Savage Alexander, and all that. JP aren't gods that get things done that much better, despite what some might try to have you believe.

As for UI addons, anybody expecting them at this point is probably delusional because if they had to remove elements from the current UI to fit in the TP bars, then what do you expect from them, a fully functional API? PS3limitations are 2 stronk, guys.

WolvenOne

There's definitely more uneasiness in the Japanese community about the current tier, talks of statics disbanding, wastefulness of Savage Alexander, and all that. JP aren't gods that get things done that much better, despite what some might try to have you believe.

As for UI addons, anybody expecting them at this point is probably delusional because if they had to remove elements from the current UI to fit in the TP bars, then what do you expect from them, a fully functional API? PS3limitations are 2 stronk, guys.

Oh, I certainly believe that. There might be slightly better social cohesion in Japan because, reasons, but the same factors that make Alexander a strain for the NA and Euro crowd hold true over there.

As for the UI addons, I'm kinda expecting them around the same time PS3 support is dropped, to be honest. The team that did the PS4 port and the DX11 variant are probably working on that now.

Granted, the UI addon is probably less work, but I'm guessing that it could be entirely finished and they probably still wouldn't release it until PS3 support is dropped.

We use Paladin in A2 and A3 and it's amazing.

I'm only being partly sarcastic.

Most of the time it doesn't bother me but I eventually start thinking about how it would be great if they could make more changes to PLD so that they would be more fun to play.

Adding in active elements like the new Shield Swipe change is something that I like but I want to see more of it.

All I got from that was: "Please understand" the post.

All they seem to be able to do anymore is "monitor" or "watch" the "situation". Watching is one thing but if that never turns into better patches and balance its really just dust in the wind.

And I loved his solution to dealing with dicks who wander off on their own:

Also, by separating the matchmaking system by objective, we would need to make extensive changes to the system, which would be difficult to achieve within the Patch 3.1 series. If you feel that you absolutely must avoid being matched with players with different objectives, we ask that you please use the Party Finder to form parties.

As if people aren't already doing that, and its not any better either. People still wander off to do their own shit at some point.

Jumbled thoughts incoming.

Thanks for this. Its helpful enough that I'm on the right track. I've moved to F4x2 F1x1 F4x2 B3. I don't think I have the spell speed at the moment for F4 > F1 > F4x3 anyway.

WolvenOne

I knew this was coming, but I'm surprised it's happening so soon.

Aaaaanyhow, i overall support this, because sitting in one spot and zerging mobs with eight other parties is indeed a bit boring. Sure, people will have to work harder for good Diadem gear, but people should expect to work for 210 gear at this point.

Also, this announcement is driving Reddit batty. It's almost amusing actually.

Ken

Adjustments to the rate at which monsters respawn

The time it takes for monsters to respawn will be adjusted, and the balancing will be changed so that instead of groups camping in certain locations, players can choose between hunting on the move or camping depending on the size and strength of their groups.

I don't really understand. So to get rid of camping they'll be rebalancing so groups can move around but can still camp anyways?

I knew this was coming, but I'm surprised it's happening so soon.

Aaaaanyhow, i overall support this, because sitting in one spot and zerging mobs with eight other parties is indeed a bit boring. Sure, people will have to work harder for good Diadem gear, but people should expect to work for 210 gear at this point.

Also, this announcement is driving Reddit batty. It's almost amusing actually.

Mhachi Farthings say hi.

BLCKATK

I'm okay with them encouraging going on the move around the Diadem. That's how it always should have been. I won't be okay with them nerfing the loot though. So far for me a good hard mode group can get around 9 NM kills. That's around 10-11 210 pieces, and most of them will be garbage. So maybe getting a possible upgrade for 1 or 2 people in the party. Is that really too fast? I feel like the RNG nature of the loot solves the problem itself.

I've actually really enjoyed the Diadem, it's content that my entire FC can get behind. We have a lot of casual players and a smaller amount of players that are more hardcore, and there was a divide between them as it was hard to get the hardcore players to play with the more casual ones. Now Diadem brings us all together and we can progress our characters as a group, as well as everyone getting to know each other and becoming better friends. So now when I make events for more complex content like Thordan, people are more willing to work together and try to get better as a Free Company. Diadem has done a lot of good for me. If they nerf the loot people will get burned out way faster and I fear it'll be rare to get people to go for a Diadem run if it's not worth it.

WolvenOne

I don't really understand. So to get rid of camping they'll be rebalancing so groups can move around but can still camp anyways?

My read on this.

Mobs won't respawn as quickly, so if you want to zerg down a bunch of low level mobs to spawn a Star Rank, you'll need to move around more.

I'm guessing that they're also adjusting it so killing higher level mobs has a higher chance of spawning a Star Rank, so two or three parties may not need to move much if they're only going after high ranking mobs.

PS: The farthing are gate locked, and you need to do time farming to get the tomes in the first place. So it at least takes considerable time, if not considerable work.

Also, I don't think they're actually reducing how often gold chests drop, I think they're just making it a bit more difficult to zerg down 500 low ranking monsters to spawn 20 to 40 chests per session. And yes, I have heard of some groups managing that.

Ken

PS: The farthing are gate locked, and you need to do time farming to get the tomes in the first place. So it at least takes considerable time, if not considerable work.

I'd say the effort needed to bop EXDR a couple times a week with DF-level DPS, and then a 24-man you can easily AFK through, is comparable to if not exceeded by the effort needed to set up a good Diadem group that can secure credit, not to mention the repetition needed to RNG into useable drops.

But it doesn't really matter cause we're in catch-up phase anyways.

Critical Elk

Neo Member

If you think the diadem does not take "considerable time" to get gear that is not potato, I don't think you have spent much time in the diadem. Please enjoy 210 vit earrings with +11 crit that no one wants

In 100+ nm's, I have gotten one hat that is ~10 secondaries over the cap. The other assorted pieces I have gotten have had 20 or more secondaries short of the cap. The other items were lost to either bookey or asami.

If we assume ~10 chests per diaden on average (it's less) that's 10, or 15 hours of straight farming.

WolvenOne

If you think the diadem does not take "considerable time" to get gear that is not potato, I don't think you have spent much time in the diadem. Please enjoy 210 vit earrings with +11 crit that no one wants

In 100+ nm's, I have gotten one hat that is ~10 secondaries over the cap. The other assorted pieces I have gotten have had 20 or more secondaries short of the cap. The other items were lost to either bookey or asami.

If we assume ~10 chests per diaden on average (it's less) that's 10, or 15 hours of straight farming.

I get what you're saying, but again, I'm hearing stories of people getting a LOT, more gold chests per run then ten using the island zerging method.

Plus, the island zerging method is kinda boring. Sure, shooting the breeze with people you like can make it fun, but it's still extremely repetitive. Anything that made it even slightly less repetitive was going to make farming less effective however. Personally, I find that to be a worthwhile trade off.

Ken

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/...es-(Nov.-24)?p=3449020&viewfull=1#post3449020

&#9632;The following adjustments have been made to Lord of Verminion:
&#12539;You will now receive at least 30 points even when you win against another player with fewer Rank Points than yourself.
&#12539;The time limit for the Verminion Challenge “Stage 1: Tutorial” has been increased from 10 minutes to 20 minutes.
&#12539;The MGP fee to participate in the Verminion Challenge “Stage 1: Tutorial” has been removed.
&#12539;The MGP fee to participate in a Player Battle (Non-RP) has been removed.
&#12539;The reward for winning a Player Battle (Non-RP) has been reduced from 100 to 50.

&#9632;Due to the change in balance of the Duty Finder, the following adjustments have been made to “The Diadem”:
&#12539;The respawn time for certain monsters has been adjusted.
&#12539;The spawning condition on notorious monsters accumulation points will be adjusted when defeating low rank monsters with multiple parties.
&#12539;The amount of Allagan tomestones rewarded for completing objectives in the Easy/Normal mode has been adjusted to be more balanced with the amount of time needed and the mode selected to complete the objectives.
&#8251;There will be no changes to the appearance of Treasure Chests or items drops from chests for monsters not indicated above.

&#9632;As a temporary solution to the issue wherein the Loot Rule will always display as “Normal” regardless of the Loot Rule selected beforehand in “The Diadem”, the Duty Finder settings window can no longer be opened while in a duty.
&#8251;We plan to make the Duty Finder settings window openable again after the above issue has been fixed. We apologize for the inconvenience, and ask for your patience while we resolve this issue.

&#9632;The following adjustments have been made:
&#12539;Adjustments have been made to the Duty Finder algorithm to address increased queue times resulting from adjustments made in 3.1.
&#12539;Upon patch 3.1 installment, we have changed the matching algorithm to “prioritizes matching to instances for which the party meets the number of members required” in which resulted the roulette role numbers to appear as “0”.
Although the window may have shown incorrectly, the internal matching process was properly functioning, so we have temporarily removed the role matching window. We are looking into modifying the specifications in the future.
&#12539;”Flight Credit” has been repositioned in the list of items that can be exchanged for with company credits by the housing area “Resident Caretaker” NPC.
&#12539;On the character selection screen, “Days Remaining on Subscription” has been changed to “Days of Play Time Remaining”.

There's other stuff I guess but these seem to be the big ones.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I'm betting SE swung the "adjustment" pendulum too far and fucked it up. Which will lead to another hotfix so people will go again. lol

Yay they hopefully fixed the Duty Finder!

Taking 30 minutes to get in EX Roulette as a healer was absurd. Had a friend last night was in Ex roulette as a healer and I ran 4 dungeons in that same period of time as a dps before her queue finally popped.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

Pretty much. Been in there several times and only gotten one decent item and a bunch of junk.

Sorian

Banned

I apologize.

But yeah, as much as I have been in diadem, I've only gotten 3 pieces and countless countless junk.

Edit: By the way, any word yet if this hot fix actually did anything to diadem? I know that they have it in the notes but when I checked reddit this morning, I didn't see any bitching.

Jayhawk

Pretty much. Been in there several times and only gotten one decent item and a bunch of junk.

I only see good aiming loot drop when no BRDs or MCHs are in the party!

I wonder if the hotfix makes it so that a 2nd set of fresh tracks is iffy to fit in under 90 minutes. Reduced amount of gold treasure chests for the same level of boredom!

Felix! We need an official spot for our no-fly list.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I'm only being partly sarcastic.

Most of the time it doesn't bother me but I eventually start thinking about how it would be great if they could make more changes to PLD so that they would be more fun to play.

Adding in active elements like the new Shield Swipe change is something that I like but I want to see more of it.

We like PLD specifically for A3S because they can just HG through adds phase tethers. That's pretty much it lol.

Sorian

Banned
But anecdotal evidence of 40 gold chests a run! Clearly they're just closing a loophole.

I hear people getting more than 10 all the time!

Yeah Nuadha, the number is 11-14, ooooooooo so scary. I'm glad that 8 of those are wrist accessories with +6 accuracy on them.

iammeiam

Give Waterman a chance to drop a Diadem chest on wipe, chance of gold going up depending on length of time in the fight. 50% chance of a gold chest on wipe deep in P4 or something. Hell, do it for every floor in Savage. Just incentivize people doing things other than spamming Diadem. At least a Diadem run with no good loot nets turn-ins that can be used for other things; other stuff is more binary success/fail and should be reevaluated in our post-Diadem world.

Tiops

What is the exact issue with A4S? I had the opportunity to watch some groups wiping a lot in A3S on Twitch, but never found a group trying A4S.

A3S looked REALLY unforgiving, but a fun fight. Just with a crapload of mechanics that could wipe the team pretty fast.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Need those spoils for 3.2 anyway.

What is the exact issue with A4S? I had the opportunity to watch some groups wiping a lot in A3S on Twitch, but never found a group trying A4S.

A3S looked REALLY unforgiving, but a fun fight. Just with a crapload of mechanics that could wipe the team pretty fast.

The entire fight design/mechanics/everything is just not fun.

I watched Kagari do Thordan Ex last night and her group failed each time while I was watching.

You were supposed to be my FFXIV hero Kagari. :(

Top Bottom