• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Zhao_Yun

It's both. There's a cooldown for the player and there's the fact you can't ride an airship that's deployed.

So technically I guess you could have the next group not on cooldown after the 90 mins take the next airships then those previous players have to wait 60 mins instead of 30 mins. That's going to be some hard scheduling. It'll probably all be a moot point after it's been zerged to death over the 1st month but that 1st month will be a lot of drama is my guess.

Airships in use won't be unusable for 90 minutes. They will return after 20 minutes meaning that an airship can theoretically transport 3 parties within an hour.

Tabris

Airships in use won't be unusable for 90 minutes. They will return after 20 minutes meaning that an airship can theoretically transport 3 parties within an hour.

Where do you see that?

If so, how does the party on the island get "picked up"?

Also on this:

Q17: Do you plan on making adjustments in the future to items such as Phoenix Down, elemental materia, and potions, which are not used very frequently by players?

A17: Since there is a high possibility that balance is destroyed when using Phoenix Downs in high-end battle content, we’ll be keeping them as they are currently.

I don't understand why they just don't remove those items. They are useless.

Zhao_Yun

Where do you see that?

Q9: Will it be possible to ride on an FC airship that is already deployed on a voyage?

A9: No, it will not be possible. Airships heading out on an exploratory mission will return back to the base after 20 minutes.

Why else would they mention the 20 minute thing if they wouldn't be usable again after that?

aceface

It's both. There's a cooldown for the player and there's the fact you can't ride an airship that's deployed.

So technically I guess you could have the next group not on cooldown after the 90 mins take the next airships then those previous players have to wait 60 mins instead of 30 mins. That's going to be some hard scheduling. It'll probably all be a moot point after it's been zerged to death over the 1st month but that 1st month will be a lot of drama is my guess.

It doesn't seem that complicated. Every 20 minutes when the airships come back, you send out a new group of 24 people. Unless I'm missing something.

Where do you see that?

You just exit the instance.

Tabris

Oh, this is interesting...

Many of those attempting instanced raids in the early stages tend to use advanced materia melding on accessories, which lead to tanks being required to meld STR or VIT. Due to this there were times where the melded accessories were better than the accessories which dropped from clearing the instance. In order to resolve this issue, in Patch 3.2 we will be making adjustments that will change the damage calculations of tanks into a more appropriate state.

I wonder how much they will nerf tank DPS in 3.2.

Tabris

Oh man the era of WAR is over.

They would have to really nerf tank DPS to convince players to use VIT accessories anymore. Or really increase the tank buster damage.

By the way, buy as many DET 4 and CRIT 4's before 3.2 as possible, because 3.2 raid gear will have materia slots.

Ken

My guess is they'll kill how much benefit STR gives to tanks versus actual melee DPS, like how VIT got nerfed for healers in Frontlines.

That answer sounds more like they're focused on tanks benefitting from two main stats that raid accessories can't give, than they are with actual tank DPS.

Wasn't it mentioned they were going to adjust the numbers on the medicinal items? Cause as it stands a Healer for example gets very little mana back relative to their overall pool when using x-Ether.

Ken

Wasn't it mentioned they were going to adjust the numbers on the medicinal items? Cause as it stands a Healer for example gets very little mana back relative to their overall pool when using x-Ether.

Yeah. I don't think they said which specific ones but you could probably guess.

Yeah. I don't think they said which specific ones but you could probably guess.
Hopefully on things like Potion and Ether it is changed to a percentage recovered with no cap on the max amount recoverable, that way they wouldn't have to worry about adjusting it for when people's pools go up again.

Shamdeo

dancelalasyxwh.gif

Tabris

Unless they're making VIT a damage stat, this just means less DPS but still doing the melded gear so not sure what their intent is here.

This is the even more interesting answer:

Materia-related changes in Patch 3.2
It will not be possible to use advanced materia melding for primary stats on equipment created by crafters. We will be making adjustments in the future so that advanced materia melding can be used to enhance sub-stats.

So does that mean I could only do that (VIT/STR) to the 3.2 raid gear that allows melding?

scy

So does that mean I could only do that (VIT/STR) to the 3.2 raid gear that allows melding?

No, just means you can't pentameld VIT/STR, just the guaranteed slot(s). Would be just the single VIT/STR Vs for accessories most likely.

scy

I'm war and i would be happy for it. Tank must tank, not to do dps, so it'll be good.

Eh, lowering damage doesnt suddenly mean you're not still going to push damage. You just do less but you still should be maxing it out. It's about as terrible of a change as possible to simply cut the damage output.

Forcing more health doesn't even make you tankier anyway.

iammeiam

No relic until 3.15

Thordan weapons supposed to boost groups in A3S/A4S, so must be over i200.

So relic basically has to come in at i210 at this point? That's around the time relics catch up to raid weapons usually, so.

RPGCrazied

Hey guys, so I just hit 50 on my Dragoon, and finished the job quests. Now I have to go to Castrum Meridianum. An 8 player duty finder instance.

Can this instance be unsynced for a couple of high levels to destroy the instance, or do I have to duty finder this?

Oh, this is interesting...
I wonder how much they will nerf tank DPS in 3.2.
My guess is they'll kill how much benefit STR gives to tanks versus actual melee DPS, like how VIT got nerfed for healers in Frontlines.

That answer sounds more like they're focused on tanks benefitting from two main stats that raid accessories can't give, than they are with actual tank DPS.

It doesn't really sound like a nerf to me. It honestly sounded to me like there's a high chance they'll just be switching the damage calculations around. So VIT would take the place of STR in a tanks dmg calculation which would make more sense and make fending accessories worth it again all at the same time.

It'd still be the same situation, but you won't have to spend millions to get there via crafted accessories.

I'm war and i would be happy for it. Tank must tank, not to do dps
This is a narrow minded view of tanking considering how passive mitigation is in this game.

so it'll be good.
No it wouldn't. The current meta isn't going anywhere unless tanks are drastically redesigned. Tuning fights lower might fix the trickle down happening in the casual side of things with the meta today, but as a whole nothing will really change about optimal play if your serious about tanking.

Tanking is already one of lowest skill/high execution jobs in the game, and passive mitigation insures that the DPS meta will be hear to stay unless there's a drastic redesign on the way tanks play. Even if Penta melds go the way of the Dodo, barring nerfs, optimal WAR play will still involve stance dancing and the same goes for the rest of the tanks.

WolvenOne

The max number of parties per sky island exploration instance is nine. They arent to be easy to zerg, with that limitation in place.

Xux

I literally laughed out loud when they said that 1.0 gathering would be Gold Saucer minigames. ...Since the Crystal Tower and Gilgamesh games are pretty much the same thing.

Oh well, patch sounds pretty cool regardless.

BLCKATK

"Limitation"

72 people.

You know, it's funny. I read limitation and my initial thought was "Wow, good idea, now you can design these monsters around the max people in the instance and we can have some real fights in here instead of zerging hard and never seeing a mechanic!" but now that I realize that 72 people is the limitation, I guess I'm just gearing up to do Hunt mobs in an instance, which I am okay with. Just was hoping for something a little better but I'm not gonna get too discouraged about it.

Teknoman

So Mombomb, eldritch horrors (void ark is a literal voidsent ark), Brontosaurus.

Sucks that they wont make healing items do what healing items are supposed to do though. Just give them higher utility but raise the cooldown. Balance around them...

Squishy3

Hey guys, so I just hit 50 on my Dragoon, and finished the job quests. Now I have to go to Castrum Meridianum. An 8 player duty finder instance.

Can this instance be unsynced for a couple of high levels to destroy the instance, or do I have to duty finder this?
Yeah, it can be unsynced and you can be run through it.

BadRNG

They need to make materia massively easier to get, and disable overmelding entirely(not just limiting it to secondaries), for endgame gear in 3.2. The cost that will be involved for pentamelding every piece of gear will be goddamn insane otherwise.

Materia was listed as possible reward for turning in points in totallynotinstancedhunts, so maybe already on the way there. If overmelding % stays the same it will still be painful though. I like the idea of some added customization but using current systems this will be absolutely horrid. Hopefully they think this through.

It doesn't really sound like a nerf to me. It honestly sounded to me like there's a high chance they'll just be switching the damage calculations around. So VIT would take the place of STR in a tanks dmg calculation which would make more sense and make fending accessories worth it again all at the same time.

Tanking is already one of lowest skill/high execution jobs in the game, and passive mitigation insures that the DPS meta will be hear to stay unless there's a drastic redesign on the way tanks play. Even if Penta melds go the way of the Dodo, barring nerfs, optimal WAR play will still involve stance dancing and the same goes for the rest of the tanks.
The playstyle would remain the same in your scenario, except that the risk would be naturally way lower. Keeping the damage we have now but increasing the HP. It'd make things so much easier.

IvorB

You know, it's funny. I read limitation and my initial thought was "Wow, good idea, now you can design these monsters around the max people in the instance and we can have some real fights in here instead of zerging hard and never seeing a mechanic!" but now that I realize that 72 people is the limitation, I guess I'm just gearing up to do Hunt mobs in an instance, which I am okay with. Just was hoping for something a little better but I'm not gonna get too discouraged about it.

Well 72 is the maximum so it won't always be that number. I like to think they have learnt enough not to serve up another zerg fest but only time will tell.

Why are they de-incentivising people from doing Bis Ex? That makes no sense.

Ken

The max number of parties per sky island exploration instance is nine. They arent to be easy to zerg, with that limitation in place.

Exploration missions really are just instanced hunts with a short throttle on the zerg in the form of aether currents and depending on the rewards, gathering nodes.

Not that there's anything wrong with a zerg. I'm sure they'll botch the scaling on the S ranks so they're a pain to snipe with a full 24 man FC group to "encourage" jolly cooperation within the instance.

Top Bottom