• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

The playstyle would remain the same in your scenario, except that the risk would be naturally way lower. Keeping the damage we have now but increasing the HP. It'd make things so much easier.

I fully support that and would love that possibility. It would make stance dancing and pushing deeps so much easier.

However, I think people expecting the meta to change if they nerf tank damage are sadly mistaken. Nothing will change without a fundamental redesign of both tank classes and encounters, and that goes for slightly less intense DPS checks as well. Optimal tank play will always have the addition of pushing deeps with your tank duties.

If the predictions about Reactor EX weapons are true, you could probably do that with a Hive weapon and get something stronger than the Esoterics.
The vast majority of my raid group has slowly drifted away to Destiny, so if KoR-EX is truly as hard as they say it is I don't foresee any of those weapons in my near future unfortunately :/

RPGCrazied

Thanks everyone that helped me with that instance, I was Dagnarus Ray!

And I did the Ultimate weapon, funny thing is all I did was watch one long cutscene, the other members must have done this before, cause I didn't do jack. Lol, and I still got 4 player recommendations. Felt kinda bad. Oh well, I wanted to watch these, I would've helped though.

One question I have is about the Relic weapon, I heard it was changing, should I not do this chain or not?

WolvenOne

Maybe if the Valiant or Praise Tanaka have openings.

Weren't we going to rename one of those to, "All Mobile Future," tho?

Anyway, here are the pros and cons of 3.1 as I see them.

Pros:

Void Ark looks heck fun.
Knights Extreme will provide fun for a good large chunk of time.
Exploratory Missions seem really well thought out.

Cons:

No new Hildibrand Quests
Relic probably won't be available until December, I'm seeing a lot of people upset by this.
It doesn't look like they're adding anything to make Red Scrip gathering gear a real neccesity.
A lot of FCs don't have lvl50 airships yet.

Overall I'm pretty hyped, but no new Relics yet is a big blow. I was looking forward to having an additional long term project to sink my teeth into. Hopefully they'll make the wait worth it.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
What a kick in the nuts to have to find aether currents every single time you go in an explore missions. Because it was so fun last time right?

So relics.

I hit a giant roadblock with the HQ Perfect stuff you need from desynths.

Since they're on the AH, I can get someone to get these for me, right? I just don't want to pay another 1.5 million gil for these items.

What's a reasonable price to ask someone to desynth the items for me? Is there anyone here on Ultros who's a desynth wizard who can give me a hand?

So relics.

I hit a giant roadblock with the HQ Perfect stuff you need from desynths.

Since they're on the AH, I can get someone to get these for me, right? I just don't want to pay another 1.5 million gil for these items.

What's a reasonable price to ask someone to desynth the items for me? Is there anyone here on Ultros who's a desynth wizard who can give me a hand?

I can get you the BSM, LTW, and CUL items, and the fish

Are we excited for 3.1 now or not?

I'm not. I have to pay for the game every 45 days even if I'm on hiatus between patches or my house burns down. Fuck this shit and fuck Yoshi and fuck Squenix.

Oh, this is interesting...

I wonder how much they will nerf tank DPS in 3.2.

So their solution to tanks having something to do besides stand there doing 1-2-3 over and over is....remove that other thing so 1-2-3 is all they can do, and occasionally push their "take less damage" button.

That's okay, I quit raiding in this game anyways so fuck it. I can just go in Void Ark and press 1-2-3 while standing there and watching anime on my tablet now because I'm not allowed to try to hurt the mob I'm hitting anymore. Sure whatever, if you want to remove the only reason that tanks ever tried to do anything in this game I'll just stop trying to do anything. What a fantastic game FFXIV has become after HW.

So their solution to tanks having something to do besides stand there doing 1-2-3 over and over is....remove that other thing so 1-2-3 is all they can do, and occasionally push their "take less damage" button.

That's okay, I quit raiding in this game anyways so fuck it. I can just go in Void Ark and press 1-2-3 while standing there and watching anime on my tablet now because I'm not allowed to try to hurt the mob I'm hitting anymore. Sure whatever, if you want to remove the only reason that tanks ever tried to do anything in this game I'll just stop trying to do anything. What a fantastic game FFXIV has become after HW.

Um... what? I'm confused.

Shamdeo

pldyfsmg.png

scy

Sure whatever, if you want to remove the only reason that tanks ever tried to do anything in this game I'll just stop trying to do anything. What a fantastic game FFXIV has become after HW.

I mean ... nothing about what they said seems to indicate an actual change to how the tanks play. If anything, they want to deal with the whole pentameld crafted > raid drops and Fending being considered trash accessories. It's more reasonable to expect either VIT contribution to mitigation and/or damage or for Fending Savage drops to be the best thing to meld STR onto.

Both of which may end up with less tank DPS contribution but through gear adjustments rather than playstyle changes. Just hopefully it isn't significant since that makes the current Alexander Savage design a bit awkward.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I'm excited for the patch, because the explorations look fun.

Are those islands are randomized or are is there a limited set of them? Didn't catch that part.

That said, like I wrote in the patch thread, I feel like resubbing before the patch would be just wasting time, because of all the leveling/relic weapon related changes.

I don't understand why they decided to wait with those until the huge patch instead of tweaking this stuff to keep people from unsubbing during the content drought.

Ken

I'm excited for the patch, because the explorations look fun.

Are those islands are randomized or are is there a limited set of them? Didn't catch that part.

That said, like I wrote in the patch thread, I feel like resubbing before the patch would be just wasting time, because of all the leveling/relic weapon related changes.

I don't understand why they decided to wait with those until the huge patch instead of tweaking this stuff to keep people from unsubbing during the content drought.

Pretty sure it's just a single map (The Diadem) with parties having random start points. Hopefully they add new maps based on other zone palettes cause Sea of Clouds every day for the next 5 months is gross.

I mean ... nothing about what they said seems to indicate an actual change to how the tanks play. If anything, they want to deal with the whole pentameld crafted > raid drops and Fending being considered trash accessories. It's more reasonable to expect either VIT contribution to mitigation and/or damage or for Fending Savage drops to be the best thing to meld STR onto.

Both of which may end up with less tank DPS contribution but through gear adjustments rather than playstyle changes. Just hopefully it isn't significant since that makes the current Alexander Savage design a bit awkward.

If they do something simple like make tank damage be based on VIT instead of STR that would fix the problem with tanks never using Fending accessories pretty easily.

But this is Squenix, we can always expect the worst case scenario with them. So I'm not expecting them to do what's simple and logical. Plus it seems like they never intended for tanks to do nearly as much DPS as they did in 3.0, they probably wanted to boost it a bit over 2.x but not to the degree it ended up being boosted.

I'm predicting a tank DPS nerf which is fine since I don't raid anymore anyways, I'll just stand there and push 1-2-3 in Void Ark while not paying any attention since this game's content is either retard tier or Mythic tier with literally nothing in between. If Squenix insists that I'm a retard if I don't raid 5 days a week, then I guess I'll accept their judgment and stop trying to do anything when I play.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Pretty sure it's just a single map (The Diadem) with parties having random start points. Hopefully they add new maps based on other zone palettes cause Sea of Clouds every day for the next 5 months is gross.
Oh, that would be a huge bummer. For some reason I thought that airship exploration was going to be procedurally generated or at least have a hefty set of maps.

Ken

Not sure. I'd assume each person in the group or you can't fly. Every time you go into the missions. Like...why? I bet there are moogles near them pissing on the current. =P

Throttle groups: if everyone could start off flying it would just be a zerg for S ranks as soon as the instance began.
Gear check?: Maybe aether current points will be guarded by mobs that give a good taste for the overall difficulty of the map.
Force some ground exploration: It'd be kind of boring if it was just fly from mob/node A a to mob/node B for 90 minutes.
Use up instance time.

Oh, that would be a huge bummer. For some reason I thought that airship exploration was going to be procedurally generated or at least have a hefty set of maps.

Q4: Are there any limitations or rank requirements for the airships we can use for exploratory missions?

A4: In order to depart on an easy mission, you will need rank 10. For a hard level mission, you will need to have discovered the island previously on an exploratory voyage.

Q8: Will it be possible to meet up with FC members who are already out exploring?

A8: While it might be possible to randomly bump into them on the same island, you cannot indicate what specific island to land on.

TBH I don't know. It's hard to tell if "specific island" means that there will actually be different maps or if he means separate instances of the same map, or literal physical islands on the same map. And then apparently airships have to discover islands to unlock them but is that actually unique islands or just difficulty select? There's like 10+ islands for ships to go to I think and I'll be impressed if we actually get 10 unique maps.

I saw on reddit someone mentioned that they could change the tank stances to swap STR and VIT so you would want to use all VIT accessories to get the most damage in your damage stance while still retaining high HP for tanking things.

What ever they end up doing, it makes sense to change something at least since VIT should be the go to for tanks, like other classes have their go to accessories.

aceface

TBH I don't know. It's hard to tell if "specific island" means that there will actually be different maps or if he means separate instances of the same map, or literal physical islands on the same map. And then apparently airships have to discover islands to unlock them but is that actually unique islands or just difficulty select? There's like 10+ islands for ships to go to I think and I'll be impressed if we actually get 10 unique maps.

There like 18-20 islands you can go to on airship venues, and during they stream when they brought up the minimap on an exploration mission there were only like 3 islands on the map. So I think we are talking a handful of different maps at least.

Kenai

Not been keeping up the last week or so (bronchitis sucks) but I figured the map stuff would be pretty expansive and it is. LoV also looks VERY fun so screw the haters, and I can't wait to Vanu dance. The instances also look great as expected (tho I am sure I'll get sick of them before next patch).

No Hildebrand is a super bummer though.

I saw on reddit someone mentioned that they could change the tank stances to swap STR and VIT so you would want to use all VIT accessories to get the most damage in your damage stance while still retaining high HP for tanking things.

What ever they end up doing, it makes sense to change something at least since VIT should be the go to for tanks, like other classes have their go to accessories.

This is a good idea.

Jayhawk

Only a couple of weeks until people aim for max CPM (chests per minute). Need to gather as much data as possible when the content is released to determine conditions for the best treasure chests, if it's based on mob killed, how fast you killed the mob, etc. To make best use of the time, you'd want a mix in your party of people scouting for mobs to kill and the other members gathering as many unique materials in between fights.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Only a couple of weeks until people aim for max CPM (chests per minute). Need to gather as much data as possible when the content is released to determine conditions for the best treasure chests, if it's based on mob killed, how fast you killed the mob, etc. To make best use of the time, you'd want a mix in your party of people scouting for mobs to kill and the other members gathering as many unique materials in between fights.
You're coming back to the FC for this patch right? Right?!?!

;____;

I remember back when people played MMOs to have fun.

Wait, no I don't. Nevermind.

WolvenOne

On the tanking adjustments.

What I'd like to see them do, is to reduce the potency of strength for tank classes, but also adjust Vit to act similarly to determination.

The problem right now is that raid class tanks need to bypass the gearing system set up for them altogether, potentially spending millions of Gil in the process. Meanwhile tanks that stack Vit cannot do the tank dps that is really a neccesity for raiding.

Rather than trying to force raid tanks back into the vit meta, I figure it probably makes more sense to combine the playstyles. So tanks do stack vit, do put a lot of focus on turning themselves into turtles, but still put out solid respectable numbers that forces them to stay engaged for the whole fight, feathery than just during tank busters.

I mean, doing both makes tanking a more engaging role, so there's no real reason not to do it.

Ken

On the tanking adjustments.

What I'd like to see them do, is to reduce the potency of strength for tank classes, but also adjust Vit to act similarly to determination.

The problem right now is that raid class tanks need to bypass the gearing system set up for them altogether, potentially spending millions of Gil in the process. Meanwhile tanks that stack Vit cannot do the tank dps that is really a neccesity for raiding.

Rather than trying to force raid tanks back into the vit meta, I figure it probably makes more sense to combine the playstyles. So tanks do stack vit, do put a lot of focus on turning themselves into turtles, but still put out solid respectable numbers that forces them to stay engaged for the whole fight, feathery than just during tank busters.

I mean, doing both makes tanking a more engaging role, so there's no real reason not to do it.

Except there is no real playstyle to turtle tanking in this game besides hitting a cooldown every half a minute. Closest there is to an "active tanking" is Inner Beast and Sheltron, and the latter works on nothing significant in AS except Fluid Swings or Khestrals.

scy

Yeah, not entirely sure what to expect from the whole VIT-heavy gameplay pattern. It's literally the same as the current meta except with less damage output.

Closest there is to an "active tanking" is Inner Beast and Sheltron, and the latter works on nothing significant in AS except Fluid Swings or Khestrals.

Which says a lot to consider those as active mitigation.

WolvenOne

Oh, I don't disagree. Stacking extra Vit doesn't even make you all that much more, uh, turtle-like. Which is why I would also not oppose putting some defense onto rings as well, (and the game needs another secondary defense stat besides Parry, really.)

Still, making it so that stacking extra vit isn't an immense DPS loss is, probably a decent enough first step. Granted, I'm biased, being an off-tank all I have to do when I'm not actively tanking something is to help with DPS, so I want to continue contributing in that matter. Forcing me to stack more Vit then I need, without compensating in some manner would be really annoying.

Except there is no real playstyle to turtle tanking in this game besides hitting a cooldown every half a minute. Closest there is to an "active tanking" is Inner Beast and Sheltron, and the latter works on nothing significant in AS except Fluid Swings or Khestrals.

QFT because this is something people need to understand. The current DPS focused meta will not change cause the vast majority of all tanking CDs are passive abilities. Increasing the power of CDs, forcing VIT on tanks, or neutering tank DMG will not change this dynamic.

Going against this would require a fundamental redesign of tanks and encounters. Considering the casual direction this game is being led in I don't expect anything to change any time soon.

However I will throw my vote in with the VIT as DMG mod for tanks. I don"t think its fair that one class has to spend millions exclusively to get max performace.

WolvenOne

QFT because this is something people need to understand. The current DPS focused meta will not change cause the vast majority of all tanking CDs are passive abilities. Increasing the power of CDs, forcing VIT on tanks, or neutering tank DMG will not change this dynamic.

Going against this would require a fundamental redesign of tanks and encounters. Considering the casual direction this game is being led in I don't expect anything to change any time soon.

However I will throw my vote in with the VIT as DMG mod for tanks. I don"t think its fair that one class has to spend millions exclusively to get max performace.

Oh, of course. Even if they wanted to make tanks function like they do in other MMO's, they would need time to rework the classes and encounter designs. Frankly I'm not sure pulling a 180 like that would even be a good idea.

I might note though, Vit would probably have to be less heavily weighted than even Determination currently is. I mean, tanks get a LOT of Vit, so things would probably get absurd pretty quickly if they were equally weighted. As such, the old dynamic of crafted accessories with both VIT and STR would probably still work better for DPS output, even if STR became less heavily weighted for Tanks.

It probably won't be possible though, seeing as crafting accessories will only be limited to using a Single slot for main stats starting in 3.2.

:(

On that note, i'm still holding out hope that exploration battles wont end up as zerg rushes still. Also yay for more dinos.

EDIT: I still vote we get better named airships >_>

They won't for a few simple reasons.

One: only nine parties total can enter a given instance, the chances of all those parties cooperating with each-other is pretty low. Even if they did, nine parties against a super-boss like Odin would be pretty tough, and that's what I expect fighting against the HNM's will feel like.

Two: It'll take new parties 5-10 minutes to unlock flying once they enter the zone. This should function as an additional obstacle to Zerg-rushing NM's. If an NM is already engaged, chances are it'll be either dead or mostly dead by the time additional parties enter the instance, unlock flying, and make it to the area with the NM.

Three: not everyone entering the instance is necessarily going to be interested in your target. Since anyone can enter you'll see people coming in for Node farming, to knock out goals for Esoterics, etc etc etc.

Granted, sufficient organization could bypass some of this, but it's unlikely most FC's will be able to organize that well.

Oh, of course. Even if they wanted to make tanks function like they do in other MMO's, they would need time to rework the classes and encounter designs. Frankly I'm not sure pulling a 180 like that would even be a good idea.

I might note though, Vit would probably have to be less heavily weighted than even Determination currently is. I mean, tanks get a LOT of Vit, so things would probably get absurd pretty quickly if they were equally weighted. As such, the old dynamic of crafted accessories with both VIT and STR would probably still work better for DPS output, even if STR became less heavily weighted for Tanks.

It probably won't be possible though, seeing as crafting accessories will only be limited to using a Single slot for main stats starting in 3.2.

I'd still be all for it even then. I can't stand playing the roulette system that is melding :/

edit: apparently flames can field no other dps that isn't ranged tonight making it impossible to actually push, and the very moment we get pushed we just buckle so completely....
people are cowards.

Zakalwe

Banned
Returning player who hasn't been on since just after the first pvp patch.

Got my relic zeniths on my PLD and burnt out.

Renewed my sub to try it out and 8'm enjoying running with my old FC crew, but I'm feeling a little overwhelmed by all the changes.

Can anyone break down what I need to know about being a PLD in the current gamestate please?

Or link me to a decent article or guide?

I'll be researching myself now, but help would be appreciated as there's a lot I need to read up on.

Ken

Returning player who hasn't been on since just after the first pvp patch.

Got my relic zeniths on my PLD and burnt out.

Renewed my sub to try it out and 8'm enjoying running with my old FC crew, but I'm feeling a little overwhelmed by all the changes.

Can anyone break down what I need to know about being a PLD in the current gamestate please?

Or link me to a decent article or guide?

I'll be researching myself now, but help would be appreciated as there's a lot I need to read up on.

You got two new third hits. Goring Blade is a DoT off Riot Blade so make sure that's up as much as possible. Royal Authority is your straight damage attack off Savage Blade. Use that when you have GB up and a threat lead if main tanking.

Divine Seal let's you give party members a shield. Activate it and a heal will trigger it. More of a raid tool.

Clemency is your own Cure spell! It's pretty garbage except in cases where you can take the time to cast without fear of interruption.

Sheltron will block the next hit. Self-explanatory.

Overall, I don't think Paladin's playstyle changed too much for better or worse.

Paladin is in a bad shape in the current heavy magic damage scene, but can still be as successful as any other tank.

Zakalwe

Banned
You got two new third hits. Goring Blade is a DoT off Riot Blade so make sure that's up as much as possible. Royal Authority is your straight damage attack off Savage Blade. Use that when you have GB up and a threat lead if main tanking.

Divine Seal let's you give party members a shield. Activate it and a heal will trigger it. More of a raid tool.

Clemency is your own Cure spell! It's pretty garbage except in cases where you can take the time to cast without fear of interruption.

Sheltron will block the next hit. Self-explanatory.

Paladin is in a bad shape in the current heavy magic damage scene, but can still be as successful as any other tank.

I take it these will become available once I reach the HS content? Currently working through the post ARR campaigns (just beat Ramuh).

I've read PLD can be used in all content still so that's fine, even if it takes a little more gearing. Are the job's woes restricted to specific end game content or is it game wide?

Ken

I take it these will become available once I reach the HS content? Currently working through the post ARR campaigns (just beat Ramuh).

I've read PLD can be used in all content still so that's fine, even if it takes a little more gearing. Are the job's woes restricted to specific end game content or is it game wide?

Oh, those are all the new skills from 52-60 so you'll need Heavensward for it.

Their drawbacks are prevalent mainly in Alexander Savage, the current raid. I wouldn't worry about it.

Zakalwe

Banned
Oh, those are all the new skills from 52-60 so you'll need Heavensward for it.

Their drawbacks are prevalent mainly in Alexander Savage, the current raid. I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks.

One last thing: I was VIT spec before, should I be gearing the same as pre-3.0 or has that changed?

Top Bottom