• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

ebil

I'd also be fine with tanks getting most of their damage from VIT. VIT even was a damage mod for tanks in 1.x IIRC but that was changed in 2.0 to not "confuse the new players".

While I have absolutely nothing against tanks doing as much DPS as they possibly can or stance-dancing, the full STR trend and trickle down effect has made a lot of bad tanks even worse. Normalizing tank damage without compromising expected HP tresholds would help with bad players and newer tanks who are in the process of gearing up.

I'm usually favorable to more customization but I'd rather preserve my sanity when healing, especially when only one role really has some form of choice with how they want to gear up.

Does anyone have any hot tips on how to be a better AST?
What are you struggling with?

AST is very straightforward in terms of healing and DPS because of the additional card buffs but it doesn't get a lot of panic buttons so you mainly want to get familiar with encounters to eliminate the need for panic buttons.

Demoskinos

So what is the most effective way to level up 51-60 after you've tapped story quests? I'm all out of side quests as well. I'm level 57 on my DRG and doing vault over and over seems...not very effective.

Planning on getting other classes up soon as well.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
So what is the most effective way to level up 51-60 after you've tapped story quests? I'm all out of side quests as well. I'm level 57 on my DRG and doing vault over and over seems...not very effective.

Churning Mists/Hinterlands Fates or Vault is your best bet. Hard Mode 50 dungeons maybe after 3.1 but probably not?

I should probably tell my someone at my FC at some point I'm not dead since I just disappeared when I heard that 3.1 wasn't coming out till november.

daydream

Banned
downloaded the trial and sunk a buuunch of hours into the game yesterday (got up to lvl. 12)

i like it a whole lot which is worrying. it'd be the first time i gave in to a subscription-model. normally pretty opposed to that, hm.

playing a cat lady archer btw

IvorB

Roulettes, challenge log, FATEs etc.

I recently came across a neat site called Flatxiv, which posts a 'flat' design of an XIV icon every day: http://flatxiv.com/en

0caSCjR.png

Since I play on a TV on the opposite side of the room from me, I didn't notice a lot of details in the skill icons before, so it was kind of neat seeing them in a different way. Most notable was realising that Dark Mind was a picture of a guy holding a cape over his head, rather than a picture of an evil pyramid with curved points. (May need to get my eyes checked.)

Oh, and there's this too.

Garlador

Probably Churning MIst/Hinterlands FATES. Pop some food, of course.

I'd also say work on the Challenge Log and Hunts. Quick and easy experience. If you want to vary it up, Levequests can do that for you too.

BadRNG

I'm predicting a tank DPS nerf which is fine since I don't raid anymore anyways, I'll just stand there and push 1-2-3 in Void Ark while not paying any attention since this game's content is either retard tier or Mythic tier with literally nothing in between. If Squenix insists that I'm a retard if I don't raid 5 days a week, then I guess I'll accept their judgment and stop trying to do anything when I play.
You act like they just said they are removing all tank damage, non-threat combos, and expecting everyone to just spam flash. Even if there is a dps nerf people will still play to get as much possible dps as possible. Changing calculations on how damage is done in no way will change actual playstyles, just potentially how people approach gearing.

I remember back when people played MMOs to have fun.
I play MMOs so I can bitch about how much I wish I wasn't playing MMOs.

Dungeons are pretty much the best source of EXP.

Since you're leveling a DPS class, however, I'd also run FATEs while waiting for the DF to kick in.

WolvenOne

Okay, so it just occured to me that there's actually a simpler way to fix the, "issues with tanks," right now.

To keep it short, come 3.2 lock Tank accessories to actual tank classes, and put a small amount of Defense, M Defense, and most importantly, some STR onto the accessories, in addition to the vitality.

This does two things.

1: It makes Tome/Raid accessories easily the best long-term accessories for tanks again. Even if you could figure out a way to squeeze a little extra DPS out of the crafted accessories again, (unlikely given that they'll be limiting main-stats melding starting in 3.2,) it'd likely be too small of a gain to really justify the loss in vit and defense (even if there's only a little defense.)

2: It saves the devs from a long term balancing headache. Turning Vit into a DPS stat is kinda difficult since Tanks get so much of it just by leveling to 60. It's also difficult because it could easily affect Tank DPS at earlier levels as well, and make leveling more difficult.

Regardless, the way they worded things makes me suspect they aren't going to be tackling the problem in this way.

BLCKATK

I recently came across a neat site called Flatxiv, which posts a 'flat' design of an XIV icon every day: http://flatxiv.com/en

Since I play on a TV on the opposite side of the room from me, I didn't notice a lot of details in the skill icons before, so it was kind of neat seeing them in a different way. Most notable was realising that Dark Mind was a picture of a guy holding a cape over his head, rather than a picture of an evil pyramid with curved points. (May need to get my eyes checked.)

Oh, and there's this too.

Woah, I love this! Thanks for sharing.

studyguy

Fixing tank stats won't change anything in the current meta if they keep the DPS wall as high and general mechanics as they currently are in Savage. Nothing points towards a need for tanks to beef themselves up and I have little faith that will change.

WolvenOne

Fixing tank stats won't change anything in the current meta if they keep the DPS wall as high and general mechanics as they currently are in Savage. Nothing points towards a need for tanks to beef themselves up and I have little faith that will change.

Oh, I agree.

Honestly all they really need to address is the need for Warriors to go out and spend millions of Gil on crafted accessories to do their jobs right.

It will be possible to purchase enhancement materials with an item known as ancient coins (name pending). While it’s a bit difficult at the moment to confirm this for sure, we are planning to start off by implementing the enhancement items for armor and accessories that can be purchased with Allagan tomestones of esoterics. Weapons will be a bit in the future.

So, armor and upgrade items available via Void Ark on week one, mostly confirmed? :D

Kenai

Oh, I agree.

Honestly all they really need to address is the need for Warriors to go out and spend millions of Gil on crafted accessories to do their jobs right.

That and hoping STR accessories drop/Fending doesn't drop at all. Which is dumb. Although sadly one of the few things worth crafting that isn't food from the prior patch or *insert popular glamour item here* was those DPS tank accessories. Killing that market along with moving crafting/gathering accessories to other crafters might make GSM completely irrelevant for the foreseeable future.

I wouldn't totally throw away the idea of them looking into crafting and making it more useful to the general playerbase (crafting was niche before and I feel like a lot less people are capped now than before). At least make specializations better, maybe some legit battlecraft recipe options. There will always be new vanity and furniture items but those are gonna get less popular as time goes on with all the stuff available from events + the lack of new housing/inventory. A lot of that stuff really needs updated.

WolvenOne

That and hoping STR accessories drop/Fending doesn't drop at all. Which is dumb. Although sadly one of the few things worth crafting that isn't food from the prior patch or *insert popular glamour item here* was those DPS tank accessories. Killing that market along with moving crafting/gathering accessories to other crafters might make GSM completely irrelevant for the foreseeable future.

I wouldn't totally throw away the idea of them looking into crafting and making it more useful to the general playerbase (crafting was niche before and I feel like a lot less people are capped now than before). At least make specializations better, maybe some legit battlecraft recipe options. There will always be new vanity and furniture items but those are gonna get less popular as time goes on with all the stuff available from events + the lack of new housing/inventory. A lot of that stuff really needs updated.

Oh, I rather agree with that.

Honestly I'd rather they handled this by making pentamelding considerably easier. I'd still add, "some," STR to standard tank accessories, but not enough to make the most recent set of crafted accessories irrelevant if you don't mind pentamelding.

Oh, incidentally they are talking about adding "raid tier," crafted armor starting in 3.2. Hopefully that shakes things up a bit.

Edit: Whoa, I'm surprised nobody has talked about THIS yet.

FINAL FANTASY XI Collaboration Event
Around Wednesday, November 11th, around the time when Final Fantasy XI is receiving their grand finale, we’re planning to hold a collaboration event. It isn’t similar to the event we have done previously, this new event was created to match the scale of the grand finale, so please look forward to it!

Shantoto returns?

scy

I do wonder if they'll simply go with Fending accessories having an extra guaranteed slot for main stat melds in new raid gear. Would still end up with Slaying accessories on for most slots though and any VIT/Accuracy piece would end up being the go to healer DPS option. Really need details on this proposed change at some point prior to 3.2 being a thing.

Oh, I agree.

To be fair, you only really need two slots of your choice eventually so you could in theory gear in that direction. I have the full set of accessories and never even used one of the rings and two of the others have already been replaced with me still sit at 18k+ for A4S.

That's I guess the weird part. Damage output from tanks in full VIT vs optimal STR/VIT is fairly large. Whatever proposed change they do with raid gear and melding still will lean towards big melds used. Vastly cheaper due to the lack of pentamelding main stats / pentamelding Vs but still an expense.

So, armor and upgrade items available via Void Ark on week one, mostly confirmed? :D

Hopefully better than last time of "Twine won't be there yet" and it in fact still showing up on Day 1 of Hunts. Day 1 welfare Gobdip will be a hilariously sad situation.

WolvenOne

I do wonder if they'll simply go with Fending accessories having an extra guaranteed slot for main stat melds in new raid gear. Would still end up with Slaying accessories on for most slots though and any VIT/Accuracy piece would end up being the go to healer DPS option. Really need details on this proposed change at some point prior to 3.2 being a thing.

To be fair, you only really need two slots of your choice eventually so you could in theory gear in that direction. I have the full set of accessories and never even used one of the rings and two of the others have already been replaced with me still sit at 18k+ for A4S.

That's I guess the weird part. Damage output from tanks in full VIT vs optimal STR/VIT is fairly large. Whatever proposed change they do with raid gear and melding still will lean towards big melds used. Vastly cheaper due to the lack of pentamelding main stats / pentamelding Vs but still an expense.

Well, future accessories are supposed to be more powerful than previous sets, and apparently they'll be introducing both a new set of armor and accessories in 3.2 as well. (So, I guess we'll be getting two sets of crafted accessories in as many patches?)

So, yeah, if they put a lil STR on tank accessories, it could work. If they give crafted accessories two guaranteed slots, it could work, etc etc etc. You're right that we'd really need to hear what they're planning before any solid assessments could be made.

FFXI event will consist of Tanaka coming back on as lead producer.
Please look forward to it.

....... Pls no.

PS: Red please, why are you messing with poor ole Ravana? What did he ever do to you?

scy

So, yeah, if they put a lil STR on tank accessories, it could work. If they give crafted accessories two guaranteed slots, it could work...

Well, no, not the crafted ones. The raid drop Fending ones. To try and make the actual accessories the desired ones to drop for tanks. Adjusting the returns on VIT and making the accessories the optimal thing to meld should be their goal I'd think.

I really just want to keep on Fell Cleaving all of the things.

WolvenOne

Well, no, not the crafted ones. The raid drop Fending ones. To try and make the actual accessories the desired ones to drop for tanks. Adjusting the returns on VIT and making the accessories the optimal thing to meld should be their goal I'd think.

I really just want to keep on Fell Cleaving all of the things.

Oh, I do too, it's really satisfying. What I meant was, well I kinda want the crafted accessories to be a, "slight," DPS upgrade, but overall optional. Right now for raiding they're all but essential, due to just how huge the DPS increase is.

You're right though that the actual accessory drops should be desirable in, "most cases."

Blizzje

Already have an FC but I'm looking for people to play with in end game content and chat about all things FFXIV in a linkshell.
On Odin and I mostly play during weekdays during the day from 10 - 19 CET, European player here. Would really appreciate getting to know some new people, send me a message if interested. My character name is Robin Nightingale.

Garlador

In my hour of need, I turn to you all for advice.

I'm struggling hard with inventory space right now. I'm fighting inventory management more than any dungeon or monster.

I've long since cleared Heavensward, but trying to level all my other classes is bogging me down hard. It's nearly impossible to have all my classes current when gear for over 22 classes, all at varying levels.

And I'm hoarding great gear for later; leveling a Black Mage at 30, for instance, but I have magic sets ready for my magic users at levels 50+, but they're all taking up space with my retainers.

And then there's all the unique, untradeable weapons and gear I don't need but can't sell that I can either discard entirely or sell for 17 gil. I'm drowning in converted Materia from them as well.

Don't even get me started on the crafting classes. Culinarian alone is filling up nearly two pages of inventory.

So I need some serious advice; I have way too much stuff, and way too much of it I'm unwilling to part with (I'm keeping my Behemoth armor set! I don't care how useless it is at this point!) or stuff that I'm going to be using much later (level 50+ gear) or stuff that I simply need (crafting classes).

Both retainers are full. My inventory is full. My armory is full. My Armoire won't take most of it.

I've resorted to putting them on the auction house for obscene prices just to clear up more space, but it's a band-aid at best.

Surely there's GOT to be a better way to optimizing my inventory. Anyone willing to help me out?

WolvenOne

I'm struggling hard with inventory space right now. I'm fighting inventory management more than any dungeon or monster.

I've long since cleared Heavensward, but trying to level all my other classes is bogging me down hard. It's nearly impossible to have all my classes current when gear for over 22 classes, all at varying levels.

And I'm hoarding great gear for later; leveling a Black Mage at 30, for instance, but I have magic sets ready for my magic users at levels 50+, but they're all taking up space with my retainers.

And then there's all the unique, untradeable weapons and gear I don't need but can't sell that I can either discard entirely or sell for 17 gil. I'm drowning in converted Materia from them as well.

Don't even get me started on the crafting classes. Culinarian alone is filling up nearly two pages of inventory.

So I need some serious advice; I have way too much stuff, and way too much of it I'm unwilling to part with (I'm keeping my Behemoth armor set! I don't care how useless it is at this point!) or stuff that I'm going to be using much later (level 50+ gear) or stuff that I simply need (crafting classes).

Both retainers are full. My inventory is full. My armory is full. My Armoire won't take most of it.

I've resorted to putting them on the auction house for obscene prices just to clear up more space, but it's a band-aid at best.

Surely there's GOT to be a better way to optimizing my inventory. Anyone willing to help me out?

You can take the bolded at the Grand Company store for Company Seals. Those in turn can be used to buy venture tokens, consumables, crafting materials, etc etc etc.

About all the armor though, you might need to just let go. I have melted a ton of stuff because i figured i wont level that class any time soon anyway. Turn it all into seals.

Keep only what you cant 'easily' replace and want to glamour in the future.

Alot of mats are really cheap, and dont need to take up a spot. This is true for like 97% of 2.X mats . Many of which you will not need for 3.x recipes. Gather the easy stuff only right before you actually need it.

Also, i have simply discarded alot of crafter AFs that i almost never touch. Acknowledege what you will actually use or look cool for future purposes and chuck the rest. Do you really need that glamour for BRD that you will almost never play? When was the last time you made something with your CRP? etc

I only hoard weapons for my Tank classes for example. I simply traded in the rest because i just dont play them enough.

Sifl

I wish there was a way to disable 24 man seal rock. It's no fun going against premades who have actual coordination, as opposed to w/e the hell your team is doing.

studyguy

So when's Doomtrain and Golbert suplexing it, because that's what's going to end up happening obviously.

I'd stop PvPing if I couldn't go in with my premade group.

suzu

Keep the lvl 15 and lvl 32 sets for leveling and pick up lvl 50+ gear as you go along. Trade the rest for GC seals. Grab whatever to fill in the accessories later when you're actually leveling that class. Dump all special event and artifact gear in the armoire. Most low level crafting mats are cheap and/or easy to get, so just sell or dump it.

Stop yourself from hoarding or buy more retainers. lol

studyguy

Throw shit into your retainer. Forget about it. Come back a later realizing that you had a bunch of those IV materia/armor/rare mats that you needed all along in storage.

Isn't that what everyone does?

tearsofash

What are you struggling with?

AST is very straightforward in terms of healing and DPS because of the additional card buffs but it doesn't get a lot of panic buttons so you mainly want to get familiar with encounters to eliminate the need for panic buttons.
What types of situations should I be using diurnal sect vs nocturnal sect. I always seem to get yelled at for either healing too much or too little. I try my best to DPS as well. I just feel like everything I'm doing is either too slow or not enough.

This is my first mmo, and I only started trying to learn healing when AST came out. I'm sure there's some basic pointers or class philosophies I'm missing out on.

What types of situations should I be using diurnal sect vs nocturnal sect. I always seem to get yelled at for either healing too much or too little. I try my best to DPS as well. I just feel like everything I'm doing is either too slow or not enough.

This is my first mmo, and I only started trying to learn healing when AST came out. I'm sure there's some basic pointers or class philosophies I'm missing out on.

In 4 man content, it really doesn't matter, although I like diurnal because popping regen and forget it is a great strategy for me since i like to dps. Make sure you are accustomed to turning cleric stance off/on as needed.

Let tank pull, regen, pop cleric and cast your dots, then be flexible from there depending on how reckless the dps are being. Aside from that, just make sure you remove debuffs.

In 8 man stuff, ideally you switch stance depending on what the other healer is. If its a WHM, go nocternal so you can do shields like a SCH, opposite if its a SCH, so you can regen people.

Squishy3

In today's episode of "I am a lol drg" when I got my Alex earrings I chose Fending instead of Slaying.

at least it's an easy mistake to fix

Omni

Are they really buffing Astro again? I heard someone talk about it though I haven't seen anything? //shrug

Kenai

Mmmk. For the record there's some general healing tips and some AST general tips.

Healer tips: Your first priority is healing and don't let anyone tell you different. Worry about learning fight mechanics and getting a general handle on your group before DPSing (especially as AST, they have the lowest personal DPS output of the 3 healer specs). DPSing is what you should be doing when healing isn't needed, but only then, and it does take practice to stance dance with Cleric Stance mid combat. For the record, DPS spells outside Cleric Stance are usually a bad idea since their dmg is poor.

Healing does draw aggro, so be careful to make sure your tank has used their AoE and other abilities to aggro mobs before you start casting Benefic ect on them or they might turn to you instead. This goes for any regen effects too, so try to not use regen like Diurnal Aspected Benefic until the tank has everything situated. Pre shielding is ok, but only before pull cause that's aggro too.

AST tips: get used to using both stances, they are pretty similar stances outside of the Aspected spells (and there's only two). You'll heal for a little bit more in Noct and cast a bit faster in Diurnal, but it's not a huge difference. try to use Diunral when paired with a SCH and Noct when paired with a WHM cause their spells play a bit nicer together, but that's less stringent if not raiding.

Always keep your card drawing abilitiy (Draw) on CD, cause the more often you draw the longer your buffs will be up. You can save a card with Spread prior to combat starting so saving a DPS card (Balance or Arrow) or sometimes a Bole Card for the tank is a good idea. Otherwise, use the cards and buffs for them as needed.

Learn what effects do what with Royal Road and apply them accordingly. An AoE Balance or Arrow is a lot of extra damage, and a enhanced or extended Bole is a lot of extra mitigation, for example. You can't plan on getting a certain card at a certain time, but you can definitely (usually) find a use for what you do get.

beyond that just remember to use stuff when needed. AST is a fairly technical healer with a decent amount of both passive and active effects and CDs to monitor, but that's why i like it so much. Keeps me busy.

Xux

Are they really buffing Astro again? I heard someone talk about it though I haven't seen anything? //shrug
I heard they're gonna make Cleric Stance effect the fairies so you could count that as a buff.
Please note that this is a lie and I didn't hear that.

Kenai

As a rule try not to save armor for classes you aren't actively leveling cause you can get decent stuff from vendors. Some "sets" are decent for keeping (like the level 32 sets if you still have several classes that will use them) but beyond that just buy them when you need. AF gear is storable and good til 50 and in HW there's vendors with 50 gear right in Ishguard (and then new vendors every few levels).

I say the same for crafting mats, don't keep the ones retainers sell, just rebuy those.

ebil

Gamer @ Heart and Kenai covered most of it very well so I'll just add one piece of advice regarding your "healing too much" comment: try to refrain from using AOE healing unless you're effectively going to heal several people at once, the closest to the full amount the better. AST doesn't have an efficient hate-shedding ability so it's easy to rip hate if you overheal a lot especially early during dungeon pulls when the tank is establishing hate.

And a quick healer tip for dungeons: if you have a regen effect rolling and a monster pops or aggros someone they'll usually run right to you. You can make your tank's life much easier by running to them and they can then just flash/unleash/overpower/hit them to grab hate back and they'll be grateful for that (I know I am when I'm tanking).

scy

try to refrain from using AOE healing unless you're effectively going to heal several people at once, the closest to the full amount the better.

I'd say this depends a lot. When you get more comfortable with DPSing as a healer, getting to Celestial Opposition a Synastry'd Aspected Benefic + Aspected Helios (+ Collective Unconscious regen) helps a lot for full time DPS. Not something to worry about early on but eventually you can get a lot of mileage just piling on all your regens.

Sifl

Lol @ Smn's not switching to Sch during pvp when we have no healers because they want to get kills. Both go 0/1 and 1/1, grats on ur kills. Cross alliance healing apparently isn't a thing anymore, which basically made the 6 melee's in my alliance useless.

Xux

I did a PVP match today. I guess stuff happened in it. My team managed to break 60 points so maybe that's an accomplishment. My "Victory Rate for 3rd Place" (lol) is 80% now.

Oh well, I'm slowly getting Wolf Marks so I can get another garish glamour piece.

I play MMOs so I can bitch about how much I wish I wasn't playing MMOs.

The trick is to stop playing MMOs.

I'm not going to lie when I say the genre is completely stagnant in terms of real advances, there's literally not a single MMO coming out which looks like it's going to do something new.

Squishy3

In today's episode of "I am a lol drg" when I got my Alex earrings I chose Fending instead of Slaying.

at least it's an easy mistake to fix
Followup on this, I DFed A1 4 times and got a bolt on the 4th run only when I went to turn it in for the Slaying accessory I noticed one was in my inventory and I had gotten the proper accessory before and had just never saved it to my Dragoon gearset. So I subjected myself to DF A1 for no reason.

So ends today's episode of "I am a lol drg"

BadRNG

Lol @ Smn's not switching to Sch during pvp when we have no healers because they want to get kills. Both go 0/1 and 1/1, grats on ur kills. Cross alliance healing apparently isn't a thing anymore, which basically made the 6 melee's in my alliance useless.
There are players that have SMN but either don't have SCH, only did quests and really don't know how to play it(especially in PvP), don't have it geared...etc. Also cross alliance healing is such a massive pain in the ass on controller. I guarantee there are some healers who don't even bother trying because of that.

Or everyone could just be lazy, probably bit of both.

The trick is to stop playing MMOs.

I'm not going to lie when I say the genre is completely stagnant in terms of real advances, there's literally not a single MMO coming out which looks like it's going to do something new.
I think it's a reflection of how expensive MMOs are, as well as the userbase itself. If you are spending a truckton of money to try and offer the amount of content the users want (read: expect) these days then most publishers try and emulate what has worked in the past. Those that do try something new don't always see returns on that chance, and part of that is failed premise, but part of it also is that as much as many MMOs players complain about the genre a good chunk of them like the familiar old systems.

It's a really hard difficult line to walk. It'd help if everyone stopped trying to emulate WoW's success, but I really think that the amount of content needed these days just makes things so prohibitively expensive to really try something crazy new.

plake

Followup on this, I DFed A1 4 times and got a bolt on the 4th run only when I went to turn it in for the Slaying accessory I noticed one was in my inventory and I had gotten the proper accessory before and had just never saved it to my Dragoon gearset. So I subjected myself to DF A1 for no reason.

So ends today's episode of "I am a lol drg"

Twice the fun.

ebil

I'd say this depends a lot. When you get more comfortable with DPSing as a healer, getting to Celestial Opposition a Synastry'd Aspected Benefic + Aspected Helios (+ Collective Unconscious regen) helps a lot for full time DPS. Not something to worry about early on but eventually you can get a lot of mileage just piling on all your regens.
Yeah right. But we're giving advice to someone who's unexperienced and sometimes told they "heal too much". I'd say piling on regens to DPS more is pretty advanced already as far as advice go and really not something you should worry about when learning the basics.

Atolm

Just resulted two days ago (I've been out since late April). So far I've been doing errands around Ishgard. The city is really beautiful.

My current plans are getting my SCH to 60 and then I'll try a new job, probably Machinist. Then I'll focus on crafting.

Top Bottom