• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Kayo-kun

Thanks alot for the advices. Funny thing is that I'm even more confused now after reading them and don't know what to pick. Even thinking about melee DPS now, like Ninja and Monk. Or maybe just go Lancer and turn into Dragoon like some suggestion. Good thing is that you can switch jobs, so I don't have to create new characters all the time :p

Paladin and Warrior just seems boring to me. I don't know if Tanking is the thing for me. I thought Dark Knight would be more of a DPS job.

Ken

Thanks alot for the advices. Funny thing is that I'm even more confused now after reading them and don't know what to pick. Even thinking about melee DPS now, like Ninja and Monk. Or maybe just go Lancer and turn into Dragoon like some suggestion. Good thing is that you can switch jobs, so I don't have to create new characters all the time :p

Paladin and Warrior just seems boring to me. I don't know if Tanking is the thing for me. I thought Dark Knight would be more of a DPS job.

You can actually play tanks like pseudo-DPS since they all have a DPS stance. Paladin feels the most rigid/boring though since their DPS stance doesn't actually change any of their buttons. Warrior DPS stance opens up several new moves. Dropping DPS stance as a DRK gives you access to haste/MP buff and (probably) changes how your Dark Arts rotation goes. Of course, you're still a tank first so you have to make sure you know how to survive hits and keep your party safe before going into max DPS life.

DRK and WAR are the cool tanks these days. PLD is fine but it's not as desirable and I personally think it's really boring. DRK also feels a lot more complex than WAR since you're dependent on MP management.

For Ninja, you actually can't start as their basic job Rogue. You have to get a different job up first to level 10 I think, when you unlock job switching. Still don't know if they said why that is besides them maybe not being able to figure out how to add it to character creation? Lol.

If you want to figure out if tanking is for you, I'd say wait to unlock DRK and then take that for a spin. It starts at level 30 but also starts with all the basics of tanking skills, iirc. PLD and WAR have some weird design choices with how their skills are laid out.

Pollux

What does DPS mean?

damage per second - in terms of classes though its a primarily damage dealing class vs. a tank which absorbs damage and takes the focus of the enemy AI so the DPS classes can attack.

Also, is anyone on the GAF guild on Ultros? I think I may have deleted my character that was in the guild and was hoping to get an invite on my new main character...

Demoskinos

What's the quickest way to earn gold saucer tokens?

Quickest way would be doing the challenge log stuff. You can get easily 20k just by doing those objectives each week. If you want to put in the effort winning Triple Triad tourneys and Chocobo Racing are also a pretty good source of MGP although they require time to be put in to them to build up your deck/chocobo.

Sora_N

I started playing my Marauder and I think Warrior would be pretty fun, but I'm not that big into tanking.

My main is BLM, I was going to do Dragoon but I found it kind of boring so I stopped at level 40. If you play right the damage seems good though.

You can always just try out different classes since there's the freedom.

I haven't tried Ninja yet but Monk is pretty fun, I'm working on one on the side.

Pollux

I forgot how much fun this game is - just picked it up again after almost 6-8 months away (and I never got above lvl 25 to begin with) and it's addicting haha. How high do I have to level Rogue to get to Ninja? I've got pugilist as my main class to 16.

Ken

I forgot how much fun this game is - just picked it up again after almost 6-8 months away (and I never got above lvl 25 to begin with) and it's addicting haha. How high do I have to level Rogue to get to Ninja? I've got pugilist as my main class to 16.

30 cause rogue turns into NIN.

I guess we're getting close to inactive players with housing getting email notices that their homes will be demolished soon. I wonder how many will come back and how many places will get torn down just in time for Christmas.

I'm just waiting for it to be closer to Christmas so I can log in and enter my house to reset the timer. I feel like letting the welcome back thing last the whole month of December is literally the only nice thing Squenix has ever done for NA players for FFXIV so I intend to make use of it.

Sora_N

I played for 2 months around May/June, then stopped until Nov. Been hooked again, sadly I have to start school in January. I might keep the sub active and play once or twice a week.

I spent the last 5-6 days grinding the MSQs and am burned out as hell, so I need a few days off from the game now. I still haven't gotten to Heavensward yet.

I think it's because I kept changing classes when I started.

I grinded to get Bard, and didn't like it at all, then found out/learned that Healers have shorter queues so I played SCH to 50 and really hated it.

I tried out BLM and really like it, I've stuck with it so far.

Omni

I had a World of Darkness insta-queue!

Thought I had such great luck... Until we wiped on the first trash. And then the first boss multiple times. Main tanks had to have been trolling. He brought the boss to the entrance and tanked him there. I dunno. Everyone started leaving and we vote abandoned after half an hour

I'm never going to get that minion :(

Redx508

Warrior more like bore-ior, right, N'uadha!? RIGHT!?

tumblr_nuwhksbSVu1sjh5bfo1_400.gif

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/...es-pre-mades?p=3466919&viewfull=1#post3466919

I don't think that's where salt goes.
Yup. Though if you're planning on completely 'switching', you'll have to level up from 30 again which could be a bit grindy considering DPS queues.

I'm not a fan of MCH, personally. Bards are cooler.
DPS queues are perfect opportunities to catch up on shows/netflix binge, with that said my DPS queues have been fairly reasonable as I begin to ascend the rest of Disciple classes into the 50's and beyond.

Do you still intend to transfer now that you got your clear on Ultros?

Short answer, guess I'll stay for now.

Long answer:

Part 1: Kiri finally came back from the FF XIV Wolve's Den World Championships (that's not what it was called, but was a big serious 4x4 pvp tourney), and today CuC was super active for the first time since 3.1 dropped. So much fun, so if this keeps up, I don't want to leave that right now. Most fun thing to do for me in-game ATM.

Part 2: You're in the fflogs LS, so you know the goal of this LS is to increase the pool of A4S ready players. So I think next week the goal is to get some more people who are close to clearing A3S their clears. Several groups are getting close, but for those still a bit away, they want to get them in more. So I would feel bad bailing on the LS after going in for like, 6-8 lockouts of time they put in to clear this and not returning the effort to help others.

Part 3: There will be an issue come 3.2, though. Pug raiding on Ultros will probably die for some time until the most of the turns are cleared, which will take Ultros likely a month or more depending on how hard Alex Part 2 is (assuming it will be easier). So for the first month of 3.2, I might transfer if there is a good pug scene on another server, and then when the LS is ready to start trying to clear turns, I'll probably transfer back. I'll have to wait and see.

Part 4: Still not clearing A4S any time soon. While most people think A4S will not be required for Alex Part 2, if it is, GG. Will definitely have to transfer over to Gilga and get a carry then just so I can move on to the next raid tier. But the leading theory is clearing A4N is the gateway to Alex Part 2. My current plan is to just wait until A4S is nerfed, (maybe has echo), and everyone can be overgeared for it (i220+)...so probably around 3.3 or so it will be a easy to clear within a few lockouts with people who know it. I just want the mount, honestly. Don't really care for the weapon since my relics will take the place of the Gordian healing weapons and that WHM cane looks like trash aesthetically. Also it took 3 days shy of 4 months to clear A3S...time to take it easy for a bit before jumping into another lengthy raid.

FYI: No group on Ultros to date that hadn't cleared A3S before Thordan EX has cleared since, so RIP ThorEX weapons supposedly helping people getting over that hump (on our server at least). That will probably change this week, though.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Thordan weapons would never help with clears to western people. They play differently. They're either competent, or they're pretty goddamn dumb. Japanese playstyle is not always like that. They often do well in mechanics but are painfully mediocre in DPS. The weapon upgrade philosophy is aimed squarely at them. (I may or may not be talking out of my ass).

inb4 nerfed into the ground

I wonder if they really think people are all going to come piling back in if they ease the difficulty of Alex Savage FIirst Blood Part II. History has shown that people who quit raiding in an MMO don't tend to return regardless of what changes are made later. Groups break up, people quit their group, whatever happens, it happened and there's not a lot of people who are willing to start over with a new group, especially if they spent years with their group before quitting or before it broke up.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Nerfing will procure some additional clears, undoubtedly, that's what happened with Coil, some people didn't really bother until nerfs and Echo and cleared then.
Fractured raiding community of the game on the other hand...

Pollux

I played for 2 months around May/June, then stopped until Nov. Been hooked again, sadly I have to start school in January. I might keep the sub active and play once or twice a week.

I spent the last 5-6 days grinding the MSQs and am burned out as hell, so I need a few days off from the game now. I still haven't gotten to Heavensward yet.

I think it's because I kept changing classes when I started.

I grinded to get Bard, and didn't like it at all, then found out/learned that Healers have shorter queues so I played SCH to 50 and really hated it.

I tried out BLM and really like it, I've stuck with it so far.
Ha I was the same way. Originally started warrior but didn't want to tank at that point. Tried healing and hated it. Now pugilist and rogue and am loving it.

BadRNG

Thordan weapons would never help with clears to western people. They play differently. They're either competent, or they're pretty goddamn dumb. Japanese playstyle is not always like that. They often do well in mechanics but are painfully mediocre in DPS. The weapon upgrade philosophy is aimed squarely at them. (I may or may not be talking out of my ass).
Yeah, unless the extra dps lets you skip mechanics, no amount will help you if you can't do them. That still seems to be biggest issue with people, not being able to do simple mechanic stuff.

The answer is obviously to make Thordan drop "I fucked up" tokens, they save you when you fuck up, allowing you to brute force rather than learn the fight. People who don't want fights nerfed will be happy too, they can just not bring any tokens! Everyone wins.

IvorB

I started levelling rogue at the weekend and I have to say I quite like it. I really can't understand what those rogue's guild dudes are saying half the time though.

iammeiam

The answer is obviously to make Thordan drop "I fucked up" tokens, they save you when you fuck up, allowing you to brute force rather than learn the fight. People who don't want fights nerfed will be happy too, they can just not bring any tokens! Everyone wins.

These tokens are the best idea ever and I want like 50.

aceface

I'm in a bad spot with raiding right now. I still enjoy doing it, even at a slow pace (typically I do twice a week, for 2 hours each time). But while our group has 6 really dedicated people we just can't seem to fill those last two slots (whm and brd/mch). When 3.0 dropped we had a whm and mch that were pretty good, but they had to leave for school/job reasons. So we picked up two new people who are completely new to raiding but very enthusiastic so that was good, cleared A2S and started Thordan with them. But then 2 weeks ago this dumb Comcast lag thing started which they are both getting, and they are both on PS4 which means they can't really do anything about it. It pretty much makes Thordan un-doable. So now we are stuck again and I don't know if we need to throw them out or what. I'd feel bad cause they are super nice but don't know what else to do if it doesn't get better.

Long story short, can someone carry me through Thordan this week plz.

Sorian

Banned
Not that I'm aware of. It's probably going to be the 15th, to give people some time with it before the Live Letter Q&A.

I'd like them to maybe announce it if that is the case, it's kosher if I request my day off at least a week in advance. Come on SE, give us dates.

Sifl

Anyone that drives the Gobwalker have any tips for doing it with a controller for A2S? I run into little problems like me auto selecting a new target after pulling the bomb once, and I'm not sure why it happens. I already know about the scrolling through enmity list thing.

Also the group I'm doing it with are pretty adamant about me being in the Walker even though I'm a Mnk and there's a Drg in the group. I feel like I'd be better out of the Walker (mainly because I suck at it) but they insist on me doing it.

Sifl

They probably do since there's a brd in the group, I'm just basing the way I'm thinking off of some guides I watched.

Squishy3

They probably do since there's a brd in the group, I'm just basing the way I'm thinking off of some guides I watched.
Yeah it just all depends on party comp. If you have a bard/mch in your group it makes more sense to have the person who can increase their DPS not be on walker duty, plus 15% crit for the entire party. Lotta damage going out with the vuln debuff.

iammeiam

Disembowel really isn't much of a thing in A2S, though, since it's so AOE heavy. There are maybe three or four spots in the fight where a ranged and DRG can both focus a thing for long enough to get a measurable buff out of it (especially with a BRD, since they should be spending a lot of time multidotting for RoD procs.), and I think the 7% or whatever buff the ranged gets in that little window would be overshadowed by Monk AOE spam. Litany can be dropped during Gobwalker swaps.

I dunno, is your DRG maybe just not great with mechanics? Gobwalker vuln stacking is like the single most important role in A2S, so having somebody willing to learn it is huge.

Sifl

I'm honestly not sure, I've only attempted a2s with them once and I did it blind, so I wasn't sure how to manage my energy/what to place vuln stacks on and how many. I looked up guides to go over before our next attempt. Probably not a good sign that the Drg isn't an option for the Walker... i know the SMN in our group and she was reading Walker guides in case she had to do it before I joined.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Anyone that drives the Gobwalker have any tips for doing it with a controller for A2S? I run into little problems like me auto selecting a new target after pulling the bomb once, and I'm not sure why it happens. I already know about the scrolling through enmity list thing.

Also the group I'm doing it with are pretty adamant about me being in the Walker even though I'm a Mnk and there's a Drg in the group. I feel like I'd be better out of the Walker (mainly because I suck at it) but they insist on me doing it.

Don't do it with a controller? When NIN in our group last week did it, she used mouse to select the targets anyway. PS4? Rip, put somebody with a mouse in the walker.

I think the preferable drivers go NIN > DRG > MNK? MNK shouldn't be in the walker ever, they have the best DPS potential out of the melee in that fight.
And for all that's good, don't make SMN do it. The reasons should be quite obvious.

Sorian

Banned
With all the gear possible at this point, I don't think figuring out best DPS set-up for A2S is really necessary. You can sleep hit buttons and make the dps check. Most important parts are getting the walker thing down and prioritizing kill order when important.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
With all the gear possible at this point, I don't think figuring out best DPS set-up for A2S is really necessary. You can sleep hit buttons and make the dps check. Most important parts are getting the walker thing down and prioritizing kill order when important.

While that is true, our SMN does up to 2500 DPS so we'd be insane to put him in the Gobwalker?

Sifl

I wasn't planning on making the SMN do it lol, it's just not a good sign if it's basically down to me or the SMN without the Drg being an option.

Sorian

Banned
While that is true, our SMN does up to 2500 DPS so we'd be insane to put him in the Gobwalker?

I wrote that post before you edited in the SMN part so I was more speaking to the choice of melee in the tank. My point still stands honestly but yeah, no reason to put any ranged in the tank.

Top Bottom